PDA

View Full Version : No Love for THE Adrian Peterson

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
What's up w/ da' Bears? They have the NCAA's all-time leading rusher, the one who led the NFL in rushing the past two preseasons and cannot get any carries in the regular season. I would like a Bears fan to tell me what the Bears see I can't.

ChickenMan
September 22nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
It's the pros. They have to play the players they pay the big money. AP just has to hope other teams notice his talent so he can get a big salary someday, then get a chance to run the ball.

Catch 22... if you don't run the ball... you don't get a chance at a big salary... ;)

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
I can't believe that the Bears, who have struggled in recent years, are keeping AP on the bench just to spite him. They just honestly feel that with Thomas Jones (who is playing real well right now) and Cedric Benson (who they just spent a 1st round pick on) that they are better at RB than by running AP. Preseason means diddly so unless AP can impress them enough in practice to get on the field, and then once on the field impress them to stay there, he won't ever make it. The fact that he's been there for a few years now and is still not seeing the field pretty much means they don't see him as a starter, or significant player, anytime soon. There are a lot of talented players who, for whatever reason, never make it in the NFL - it's likely he'll be another one.

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
I do know they love him on special teams. That's probably why they signed him to a six-year extension. I wonder why he doesn't get carries.

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Well, he has made it in the NFL, just not as a running back yet. Jones is a good example of a kid that didn't get significant RB chances until he finally signed with another team. BTW, IMHO AP is a better back than Jones.

Jones had his chances with the Bills, he just got beat out by a better back in McGahee. IMHO, I'm not sold on AP being an NFL back from what I've seen - he won't hurt you there, but he's not going to do much for you. I still think, with Benson coming on, the writing is on the wall that barring injury AP won't see the field for the Bears, as a RB.

ISUMatt
September 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Jones can catch out of the backfield, something AP has struggled with since joining the Bears. He excels on ST. I dont think the Bears think he can shoulder the load of an everyday back, but in the Bears system, I think his lack of catching abilities is killing him. And yes I have been to the last 2 training camps, he struggles at receiving!!!

ISUMatt
September 22nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Jones had his chances with the Bills, he just got beat out by a better back in McGahee. IMHO, I'm not sold on AP being an NFL back from what I've seen - he won't hurt you there, but he's not going to do much for you. I still think, with Benson coming on, the writing is on the wall that barring injury AP won't see the field for the Bears, as a RB.

Jones was in Arizona, Henry was Buffalo!

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Jones was in Arizona, Henry was Buffalo!

You're correct, my bad - I do actually get those two mixed up a lot for some reason. Jones did get his carris in Arizona, but when you play for a team that sucks, as the Cards do, it's hard to really get some press.

umassfan
September 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
You're correct, my bad - I do actually get those two mixed up a lot for some reason. Jones did get his carris in Arizona, but when you play for a team that sucks, as the Cards do, it's hard to really get some press.

Jones left Zona because he got beat out by Marcell Shipp!

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Jones left Zona because he got beat out by Marcell Shipp!

Or because there was no better option - Shipp has been a fine backup in the NFL, but when you bring in a 50-year old Emmitt Smith and then try a rookie in JJ Arrington that's not really a show of confidence in Shipp. He'll get his carries right now but Arizona is going nowhere with that running game.

ISUMatt
September 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Or because there was no better option - Shipp has been a fine backup in the NFL, but when you bring in a 50-year old Emmitt Smith and then try a rookie in JJ Arrington that's not really a show of confidence in Shipp. He'll get his carries right now but Arizona is going nowhere with that running game.

or QB!!!

umassfan
September 23rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Shipp has beat out Jones, Smith, and now Arrington.... He has started over all three. Coach Green knows Shipp is the best RB the card have to offer. They keep bringing in people to beat him out and he just wont let them. Says something about his character.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Shipp has beat out Jones, Smith, and now Arrington.... He has started over all three. Coach Green knows Shipp is the best RB the card have to offer. They keep bringing in people to beat him out and he just wont let them. Says something about his character.

Being a little generous with history, aren't you? Smith retired - when he was there, he played. And Shipp had very little to do with beating out Arrington - Arrington has just flat out blown so far. Shipp has been playing by default - the guys in front of him have either retired or haven't played well - that's a big difference from beating them out. Shipp is a very serviceable back-up RB in the NFL - let's just not get crazy about his value though.

umassfan
September 25th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Being a little generous with history, aren't you? Smith retired - when he was there, he played. And Shipp had very little to do with beating out Arrington - Arrington has just flat out blown so far. Shipp has been playing by default - the guys in front of him have either retired or haven't played well - that's a big difference from beating them out. Shipp is a very serviceable back-up RB in the NFL - let's just not get crazy about his value though.
I think you need to go back to Smiths time at Zona and you will find out that Shipp did in fact beat Smith out. He was the best back on the team. They drafted Arrington because Shipp got injured during last preseason and missed the whole year. He is more then a servicable back up RB. He is the starter now because he is playing better then Arrington... how is that not beating him out? Also Shipp forced Jones to leave Zona because Jones lost his starting spot to Shipp. Maybe you need to follow the Card history alittle more before you question my facts.

GannonFan
September 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I think you need to go back to Smiths time at Zona and you will find out that Shipp did in fact beat Smith out. He was the best back on the team. They drafted Arrington because Shipp got injured during last preseason and missed the whole year. He is more then a servicable back up RB. He is the starter now because he is playing better then Arrington... how is that not beating him out? Also Shipp forced Jones to leave Zona because Jones lost his starting spot to Shipp. Maybe you need to follow the Card history alittle more before you question my facts.

Or maybe I need to realize again that with anything related to UMass or UD you are simply blind to reality. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

Black and Gold Express
September 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I guess Shipp is bound for Canton, huh? I mean, who could be better than MARCEL SHIPP? :rolleyes:

Revisionist History must be a pastime up north there, huh?

Tod
September 26th, 2005, 02:34 PM
So did AP play this weekend or are they on tonight, I didn't have time to really see what happened in the NFL (just that my Vikes finally won). :) :)

Kill'em
September 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Don't know. I'm on night shift.

umassfan
September 26th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I guess Shipp is bound for Canton, huh? I mean, who could be better than MARCEL SHIPP? :rolleyes:

Revisionist History must be a pastime up north there, huh?
Never said anything about him being an all pro or future hall of famer... Just said that he beat out the guys mentioned.... I am not going back into history just following an alumns career in the NFL

SpiritCymbal
September 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM
So did AP play this weekend or are they on tonight, I didn't have time to really see what happened in the NFL (just that my Vikes finally won). :) :)

According to the stats, he had 1 catch for 7 yards. No carries. Jones was the only one to get the rock.

GannonFan
September 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM
That can't be!!! AP can't catch, only Westbrook can. :eek:

I'm sure defensive coordinators around the league are now staying up late devising game plans to neutralize the pass catching prowess of the previously unknown running back out of GSU. Good for AP, and good that he's been able to hang around like he has. I don't think he'll ever get the shot you guys think he might get and do well in, but I'm certainly not rooting against him.

poharry
September 28th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Jones was also with the Bucs the year before the Bears.

Being a fan of AP's as well, you have to realize if he had NFL talent he would be playing. He has problems catching the ball and he is not the best at picking up blitzes, two big things backs have to do in the NFL.

As for Jones, it is funny the hell this guy is catching. He has only went over 100yds 5 of his last 6 games. Why would you sit the guy when he is doing this well. he is keeping Benson off the field at the present time.

Yes, the Bears have been down for years, but you have to realize he has been through two head coaches, at least 3 O coordinators, a couple of running backs coaches and do you really think all of them are blind and dumb? If he could get the job done in the NFL he would have been playing by now. Leading the league in preseason means squat. he was up against 2nd and third teamers most of the time.

He has excelled on ST until this past Sunday when he had an awful day, missed tackles, penalties :bang:

People have to realize he is not going to make the impact in the NFL as he did in college. He is a marginal NFL back and is on the Bears for ST reasons. People need to be happy that he has stuck around this long.

poharry
September 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM
If these coaches felt AP could get the job done they would have put him in so maybe they would not lose their job.

I am truly amazed at why people think he is some savior to any team. He is on the lowly Bears (which I have been a fan for over 30 yrs) and he is not playing. If any coach in their right mind thought he was the answer to the offensive woes they would play the guy.

he is a special teams player and probably always will be. He signed an extension due to his spec team play not because of his rb skills.

Also, if they thought he was the guy, they would not have went out and drafted another rb and moved him to 3rd stringer.

Kill'em
September 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I can appreciate that. I just wish the Bears would trade AP. He deserves an opportunity. There might be a scheme he would fit into.

Wild McGuirk
September 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
With Azumah on D, the bears have two of the best I-AA backs of all time on their roster.

umassfan
September 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
They got fired because they couldn't produce so you think they had enough sense to play the back who produced the best? Not likely. AP is not playing because the Bears admins are loonies. BTW, I live in Chicagoland and I'm a Bears fan. They have not given him a chance to run it in the regular season. They need to let him go.

I think he has not played because he does not fit in well with a pro style offense... Sure he can run in the option but then again who cant. He cant block and has very limited catching skills... maybe that is why he doesnt see the field?

pete4256
September 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I think he has not played because he does not fit in well with a pro style offense... Sure he can run in the option but then again who cant. He cant block and has very limited catching skills... maybe that is why he doesnt see the field?

Who can't, huh? Obviously you have a short memory. Were you in pre-school in '98 and '99 when he played UMass? In those two games combined, he went over 500 yards. and they weren't easy yards like Shipp's in the '98 game.

I think AP had lost a step by his senior year (due to well over 1000 career carries, not to mention crashing into the D-Line every play whether he had the ball or not), but his lack of NFL success isn't the end of the world to me. I still think he could be a productive pro given the chance, but his current professional career shouldn't tarnish what stands at this point as the best I-AA career of all time.

If you think that NFL success or lack thereof has anything to do with his greatness in college, you're dead wrong.

Go AP!

umassfan
September 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Who can't, huh? Obviously you have a short memory. Were you in pre-school in '98 and '99 when he played UMass? In those two games combined, he went over 500 yards. and they weren't easy yards like Shipp's in the '98 game.

If you think that NFL success or lack thereof has anything to do with his greatness in college, you're dead wrong.

Go AP!
So in your first statement are you trying to say that UMass had the better defense then GSU? because I dont get where his yards could be any easier unless that is the case.... as for the game in 98... he played the whole playoffs injured and even missed one game in the playoffs... so if anything in 98 his yards were more impressive.

And for your last comment.... Where did I say anything about college greatness having anything to do with the NFL... if that were the case then AP would be an all pro and ship would be exactly what he is now, a starter.

pete4256
October 1st, 2005, 03:03 PM
Oh . . . the comment about college greatness was not aimed at you.

Did you see the 98 and 99 games?

Shipp was an excellent back at UMass. In 1998 he set the (since broken by . . . hmmm) record for yards in a champ. game. Our defense was atrocious that year. If you saw the game, in the second half Shipp was going untouched for 20 yards on nearly every straight handoff.

Not the case with AP--UMass had an ok defense in 98 and a strong defense in 99--until AP knocked Ayi (sic) and others out of the game. That game must be on tape somewhere? AP dd unbelievable things on his way to 333 yards and 5 TDs.

GannonFan
October 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Hey, with Jones being banged up and with Benson being an unknown at this point Peterson may see a little more playing time for the Bears this week. He did have an unfortunate highlight last week as, when pass blocking in the backfield, his helmet knocked the ball out of the QB's hand causing the game winning fumble. Not the best highlight mind you. But he's gotten good praise from his coach this week so maybe we'll see what he can do on the field.

rosy410
October 13th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Last week AP had 2 carries for 19 yards while Benson had close to 5 yards on 6 carries. I am still not getting my hopes up this week for AP starting with Jones out. It would be nice to see him get some early touches and do something.

umassfan
October 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Anyone else cheer when they put in AP when Jones went down and his first carry was for 20 something yards?? :nod:

Must have been against the second team... :rolleyes:

The dumb rookie QB made him look bad later by being slow to take the snap... AP was so quick to pick up the blitz the bumbling rookie ran into him.

How about the block he missed at the end of the game when the QB almost got killed? That is the reason he doesnt play... not because he cant run the ball.

umassfan
October 15th, 2005, 04:43 PM
He doesn't play because the Bears have highly paid folks that are required to play.

Marcel Shipp
GAMEDATE Opp RESULT GS Att Yds Avg
10/09 CAR L 20-24 Yes 13 22 1.7

Brian Westbrook
10/09 @DAL L 10-33 Yes 6 12 2.0

Adrian Peterson
10/09 @CLE L 10-20 No 2 19 9.5

What is your point of that thread... Shipp and Westbrook are complete players that is why they play... Shipp may not run well every game but he always has a couple good catchs too... he also knows how to block... that is why he plays and Peterson dont.

poharry
October 15th, 2005, 08:07 PM
No, Ralph is right, he doesn't play cuz it is a money thing. The Bears are an organization that cannot justify sitting someone that makes the cash.

AP's blocking is light years ahead of where it was when he came into league. he has never been given the chance to run the ball on a consistent basis. I by that I mean he has never had even the minimal 3-5 carries a game. At this point in time he is a standout ST player.