PDA

View Full Version : Another Top Recruit For ODU

ODUfootballfan
February 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Phoebus' Evans, Purnell commit
Dave Johnson and Melinda Waldrop | Daily Press
3:47 PM EST, February 1, 2008

Two mainstays in Phoebus High's lineup over the past two seasons will be continuing their football careers at nearby colleges.

Reid Evans, first-team All-State at cornerback and second team at wide receiver, said he plans to commit to Old Dominion today during his official visit. Andre Purnell, a starter the past two seasons at right tackle, has committed to Norfolk State.

Evans had hoped to receive an offer from the University of Virginia, where he visited last weekend, but said "it didn't work out." He also had received interest from Youngstown State.

Evans said he can "come in and make history" at ODU, which will begin competing in football in 2009.

"The coach (Bobby Wilder) told me a lot about the program," Evans said. "They're throwing the ball a lot, too."

Evans, who had 68 receptions for 1,135 yards and eight touchdowns last season, said the school's proximity to his home appealed to him. He also likes the idea of redshirting with the rest of the Monarchs' inaugural class.

"It gives me a whole year to work out," Evans said.

Evans is the second Peninsula District player to commit to ODU, joining Denbigh safety Devon Simmons. Gloucester quarterback Tommy Reamon Jr. is expected to be the third when he announces his choice Tuesday.

Purnell, 6-foot-5 and 270 pounds, was a starter on the 2006 team that won the Group AAA Division 5 championship and the '07 team that advanced to the state semifinals.

"He did a real good job for us the last two years," Phoebus coach Bill Dee said. "He's a really big kid, and he's going to be huge. He has a thin frame and has a lot of potential for size."

Dee believes Purnell could eventually be a 300-pounder in college.

"He was a solid player for us," Dee said. "And I think his best football is ahead of him."

Purnell is the second PD player to commit to Norfolk State, joining Bethel cornerback Marcus Cooperwood.

In other recruiting news: Solon (Ohio) linebacker Steve Greer became Virginia's 18th commitment after visiting campus Thursday.

Greer, 6-2 and 218 pounds, had 150 tackles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries as a senior. He also considered North Carolina and Oklahoma State.

The national signing period begins Wednesday.

More articles

Monarch History
February 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds like another good get for Wilder and ODU. Interested to see if we get Reamon.

Now all we need to do is get them signed on the 6th.xthumbsupx

Monarch History
February 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Found this article on Evans from a Roanoke paper.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uvainsider/wb/148277

Seawolf97
February 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM
You should have a pretty solid team in 2009xpeacex

ODUfootballfan
February 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Wow, I like to hear from coaches, from the highly respected ACC, say things about our (ODU's) commits such as: "Evans might be the best football player in the state." It surely makes me feel more confident that the idea of bringing football back to ODU, and the commitment to being competitive VERY quickly, was not an idea based in merely in fantasy.

Many may not realize that ODU's roots began as an extension campus of W&M. ODU has long been regarded as a "good" university. Over the last 5-10 years it is steadily moving up the ranks of respected competitive academic institutions. ODU has long been regarded as having an overall "above average" sports program. I would observe that along with the rise in its academics status, the sports program has also seen equal development and success. I am a fan of the return of Football (maybe that goes without saying); and I feel it will be a very important aspect of bringing ODU into the collective national awareness as a preferred choice of schools to consider attending. While many people dismiss sports as a method of brining awareness to a University's academic legitimacy, I believe that there is a direct and important relationship between the two. For an institution of nearly 21,000 students (the same size as UVA), ODU has often been overlooked among the major universities. I believe that this is changing, in a big way, but a successful football program will assist in bringing an even brighter spotlight onto ODU, and the academic strides it has made. ODU deserves to have a higher profile, and I think in some way, the football program will assist in introducing this fine institution to those that may otherwise been unaware of its academic excellence, or even its existance at all.

Monarch History
February 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
ODU gets another commitment but loses one who had previously committed.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/odu-loses-football-commitment-picks-another

ODUfootballfan
February 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Bummer !! These things happen I guess. At least we continue to pick-up solid guys along the way, even with the loss of one of our earlier commits. Let's hope we have a nice crop of commits on Wednesday to round-out the core that has already made their intentions known.

Monarch History
February 3rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Looks like the Monarch's have commitments from a linebacker and kicker/punter as well as Reid Evans. I'm nervous about Reamon taking a trip to USF this weekend.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/signing-day-looming-monarchs-get-3-commitments

ODUfootballfan
February 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Though it would be nice, and I said this a month ago, I have a hard time believing that Reamon woud choose ODU over very good 1A programs like Mizzou and USF. I suppose that the only reasons would be if they can convince him that early playing time, being the team leader from day one, and the excitement of being a part of a new organization from the start outweigh being a part of a top 1A program where his prospects of playing at all will always be heavily contested by other top recruits coming in this year, and every year to come. If he is as good as billed, the idea of redshirting one year and being the favorite to be a starter for four years should be very appealing..........we will see Tuesday night I guess what his thought process is on all of this.

Monarch History
February 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
It was reported today that Mike Price OL has withdrawn his commitment and decided to instead play at UVA.:(

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/football-dunn-commits-virginia-tech-price-changes-virginia

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
made

GannonFan
February 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
xrotatehx