PDA

View Full Version : The Vote At Lamar: 79% Yes

DFW HOYA
January 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM
That's a mandate.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8UH27N82.html

JohnStOnge
January 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
I don't like it. It'd hurt McNeese recruiting. I'd rather see Lamar stick to basketball and have UT Arlington restart football.

DFW HOYA
January 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I don't like it. It'd hurt McNeese recruiting. I'd rather see Lamar stick to basketball and have UT Arlington restart football.

Competition is good for everyone. McNeese doesn't need the Golden Triangle to be a successful program.

Schools like Lamar, UTSA and UTA could help to resuscitate interest in SLC football in Texas.

GeauxLions94
January 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Next step is approval from Board of Regents on Feb. 22.

Where are they meeting you ask??? Beaumont ... home of Lamar xsmiley_wix

Will be aggressive in getting program back up to par. 63 schollies in inaugural season in 2010.

Course, they're going to have to add some women's sports (softball for sure) to satisfy the Title IX folks.

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
so the board of regents thing is just a formality? Lamar will have football now right?

centexguy
January 31st, 2008, 11:25 PM
so the board of regents thing is just a formality? Lamar will have football now right?

The board of regents approval is just a formality. The board has already approved about $15 million worth of facility upgrades for Lamar, including about $1 million for field turf, $6.5 million for stadium renovations, $5 million of a new field house, $1 million for a soccer field, and $1.2 million for a softball field. Word is that Lamar has already raised the money for these renovations.

813Jag
February 1st, 2008, 05:47 AM
That's a mandate.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8UH27N82.html
Sounds good. xthumbsupx I'll be keeping up with this.

DFW HOYA
February 1st, 2008, 05:49 AM
The Houston Chronicle says it's headed to start in 2010.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5504381.html

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM

The regents are mostly folks with SHSU ties (yep, they all wear Bearkat orange underwear)...but yes, it's a formality. The green light will be on for Lamar, they just need to raise whatever funds they need to raise...

Now, if FBS comes up -- the powers that be will put Lamar third in line behind the Texas State - San Marcos and Sam Houston institutions in the system. The other two schools are perceived and are very easily placed at a higher level than Lamar, starting with size, among many other factors...(though Sam Houston won't argue that it's outgrown the SLC)...

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
A blog on this subject...

Apparently, from a few of the stories I've seen, someone needs to teach the Lamar beat writer that it's FCS and not I-AA...

http://blogs.chron.com/areacolleges/2008/02/football_making_its_way_back_t.html

McTailGator
February 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM

John.

We owned them before, we will own them again...

The coaches will just have to work harder.

It will be fun to have another game between 2 teams that are only 35 to 45 minutes apart. We need a real rival in the SLC. This is a NATURAL rivalry and will be a lot of fun and an impossible ticket to get.

Especially when 12,000 McNeese fans invade Cardinal Stadium on the last game of every year.

I'm looking forward to it!

McTailGator
February 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Competition is good for everyone. McNeese doesn't need the Golden Triangle to be a successful program.

Schools like Lamar, UTSA and UTA could help to resuscitate interest in SLC football in Texas.

McNeese has always done well recruiting the Golden Triagle even when Lamar had football. There are a lot of schools there, AND PLENTY of football players to go around.

In fact, I bet they have a lot of players that don't even get looked at, or have to go a long way from home because we and other schools that recruit there don't have enough spots for them. This will be good for all of us, and the atheltes.

If anything, it gives us a chance to showcase our team everyother year to the city who already know that we have a good solid program. Now the recuits can see us paly everyother year close up.

McTailGator
February 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM

They should hire a Coach by May 1st, 2008. and on the field in 2010, and in the SLC by 2011.

MaximumBobcat
February 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM

It'll probably hurt you guys a little bit, but you guys always seem to have a decent team even in your down years, so you'll still be in the hunt for the CC most years. With that said, it looks like you guys started really dominating the SLC and racking up all those SLC CCs once Lamar dropped football in 89.

McNeese Conference Champions

2007, 2006, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1997, 1995,1993, 1991, 1980, 1979, 1976 (Southland)

centexguy
February 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
It will make for a nice rivalry game. I can see 18,0000 to 20,000 at those games easily.

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2008, 11:42 PM
People are putting too much in Lamar's impact on McNeese -- it's going to be greater than McNeese...

McNeese is more heavy in Houston than they are the Golden Triangle (where they get 2 or 3 players yearly). While Lamar will get a good picking from the Golden Triangle, I really feel that Lamar will be even heavier in Houston and East Texas -- which are SHSU's two main recruiting areas.

SHSU (and SFA) will be impacted, just as much, if not more than McNeese...

McNeese_beat
February 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
I think Lamar's addition — along with SLU — hurts the SLC's competitive level short term. When Lamar and SLU last both had football, in the mid-1980s, it was before prop. 48 cut down the player pool, especially in academically-challenged Louisiana.

I say the effect should be short-term because I expect an adjustment...the SLC members need to expand their recruiting horizons. I don't mean they necessarily need to start scouring California and Florida for players, but there are untapped parts of the region. West Texas comes to mind (I've heard Sam Houston has already started delving into that area) and DFW has never had a huge representation in the SLC. The Rio Grande Valley probably has some players that aren't getting looked at by the SLC now. This will probably change that.

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Lamar Facts...

Lamar won four SLC titles in 22 years, three of which came when the league only had five teams (the others were Trinity, Arkansas State, UT-Arlington and Abilene Christian).

SHSU has won three in 20 years (a Lamar fan recently responded to a Houston Chronicle blog that we have just one). The Bobcats of San Marcos have one to their name in the 20 years they have competed.

Lamar has a combined historical record of 22-46-3 against the three teams they'll probably have rivalries from at the get-go (SHSU, Texas State-San Marcos and McNeese State)

SHSU 13-8-1 vs Lamar including wins five of final six contests. Texas State - San Marcos is 14-6-1 vs Lamar. McNeese State is 19-8-1 against Cards.

From 1975 til 1986, McNeese finished above Lamar in the SLC standings.

In men's basketball, Lamar has a league-leading 8 SLC regular-season titles. The last being 1984. While Lamar was away from the SLC for a nice bit of that period, they sure have not had the same kind of success they had when they had football (though some Lamar fans do live like it's the early 1980s each time they talk about Cards basketball).

NoCoDanny
February 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Apparently their QB is training and ready to go.

http://web.tiscalinet.it/silviodr/javelin-lamar.jpg

Fresno St. Alum
February 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
thats what I think about to when I hear Lamar

centexguy
February 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Lamar University is named after Mirabeau Lamar, the 2nd President of the Republic of Texas. He is considered the Father of Texas Education. The name Lamar is all over Texas.

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
up

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Outta here log

GannonFan
February 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Outta here log

xlolx

dbackjon
February 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
You just know I'll become a Lamar fan!!

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.10/spotlight/nerds/images/lamar/lamar1.jpg

already123
February 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM
this is exciting! More football in the great state of texas!