PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Mix-up Costs Alabama State

CSN Log
January 31st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Scheduling Mix-up Costs Alabama State

Oops… a scheduling snafu that affect Alabama State, Jacksonville State, FAMU and B-CC…
Alabama State interim athletic director Ron Dickerson likes to map his days out weeks in advance and hates surprises.
Unfortunately, his school’s 2008 football schedule – which Dickerson finalized months ago – is in shambles now with the discovery of two games both scheduled for Sept. 6, 2008. It will now cost the university several thousand dollars to resolve the problem.
Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=scheduling-mix-up-costs-alabama-state&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more399)

Cocky
January 31st, 2008, 08:50 AM
I don't understand why our AD keeps scheduling SWAC schools. A&M and now State backing out of contracts. If we ever do one again we need to be home first then refuse to go to their place. Or better yet just don't schedule either in any sport.

nwFL Griz
January 31st, 2008, 09:03 AM
I don't understand why our AD keeps scheduling SWAC schools. A&M and now State backing out of contracts. If we ever do one again we need to be home first then refuse to go to their place. Or better yet just don't schedule either in any sport.

I understand your frustration, but you can hardly blame the current ASU administration here. They had every intention of fulfilling the contract, until the SWAC released a revised schedule and the Bethune contract appeared. Seems a tough situation for the ASU AD and it's good to see the JSU AD understood.

TexasTerror
January 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
SWAC-tacular!

Why does this happen all the time with SWAC schools (or at the very least, always gets publicized with them)? UAPB did it a few years. Alabama St did it this year. I know another SWAC school, Southern, had this problem this year in baseball...

How can the AD and coaches cost their schools $$$ by doing this? UAPB was lucky the other school (UCA) bailed them out and did not hold them to their contract. Southern was lucky the baseball foe changed the date to one that worked for both...

For athletic departments who need all the $$$ they can get from football, I am surprised this continues to happen...

Who oversees the ADs who sign the contract?!? Shouldn't records be kept on this stuff (I realize the contract "just appeared") so that this does not happen?

This AD got put in a bad situation. No oversight somewhere...

nwFL Griz
January 31st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hey I believe this also happened to Jacksonville St last year with the Mississippi St game, so let's not think it only happens to SWAC schools.

813Jag
January 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM
From the looks of alot of the blame has to go to the SWAC office, why wait so late to release the master schedule. You're going to have mixups when teams are scheduling for 2 nonconfernce games instead of 4. But the Bethune Cookman deal, falls on the laps of Alabama State.

TexasTerror
January 31st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hey I believe this also happened to Jacksonville St last year with the Mississippi St game, so let's not think it only happens to SWAC schools.

Maybe the SWAC has better media covering them -- always seems to get out about them. Or perhaps the other schools are just not too thrilled about it and have to get it out there...

From the looks of alot of the blame has to go to the SWAC office, why wait so late to release the master schedule. You're going to have mixups when teams are scheduling for 2 nonconfernce games instead of 4. But the Bethune Cookman deal, falls on the laps of Alabama State.

Scheduling in conference offices is a crazy business. There's a few conferences that pay folks to do their scheduling and even then, it just does not make much sense.

When did the SWAC approve the change from two to four OOC games? It did come pretty late, didn't it? As in June or something, right? The SWAC office sure has their hands full with all of this...they need to communicate better with the schools and vice-versa...

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 31st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I know another SWAC school, Southern, had this problem this year in baseball...

Southern was lucky the baseball foe changed the date to one that worked for both...

What school and what date. If it was Feb 29-March 2nd, MLB came a calling for the MLB Urban CLassic SU vs USC vs UCLA vs BCC. We couldn't turn down this classic with the game being televised on ESPN 2. They are even bringing our band to California to battle against USC's band. :D

Mr. Tiger
January 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
What school and what date. If it was Feb 29-March 2nd, MLB came a calling for the MLB Urban CLassic SU vs USC vs UCLA vs BCC. We couldn't turn down this classic with the game being televised on ESPN 2. There even bring our band to California to battle against USC's band. :D

Sweet! I will be watching this. xnodx