PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about University of West Georgia..

putter
September 21st, 2005, 11:30 AM
Apparently they are looking to move to I-AA. Would they be competitive like Georgia Southern? Do they have successful programs now? Just curious and they sound like a good fit in the so-con and a natural rival for GSU.

ISUMatt
September 21st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Apparently they are looking to move to I-AA. Would they be competitive like Georgia Southern? Do they have successful programs now? Just curious and they sound like a good fit in the so-con and a natural rival for GSU.

http://www.uwgbraves.com/football/schedule.asp?id=8

West Georgia’s Braves enter the 2005 football season with designs on being the surprise team in this year’s Gulf South Conference race. If they succeed, the Braves will catch more than a few people by surprise.

West Georgia was picked eighth in Tuesday’s release of the annual preseason poll of Gulf South Conference head coaches. One coach tabbed the Braves for second place, while the rest of the league’s mentors had UWG finishing no higher than seventh this season.

ISUMatt
September 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM
West Georgia...

2004-05 Gary Otten 2-7 .222
2003-04 Gary Otten 3-8 .273
2002-03 Gary Otten 3-8 .273
2001-02 Gary Otten 8-3 .727

putter
September 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
West Georgia...

2004-05 Gary Otten 2-7 .222
2003-04 Gary Otten 3-8 .273
2002-03 Gary Otten 3-8 .273
2001-02 Gary Otten 8-3 .727

I see they have steadily gotten better! ;) Surprising that they could go from 8-3 to 2-7 and now look to move up to I-AA :confused:

ravinggoat
September 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM
They have some awesome linebackers this year.

PMB4Life
September 21st, 2005, 01:39 PM
That's my band director's old stomping ground before he went to Mississippi State, and then here at UNI. Good school, great band.

SuperEagle
September 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM
do they still play at a high school stadium? they used to. they aren't very competitive and I doubt the SOCON would want them. no disrespect to them, but if we start taking teams like this into our conference, I hope my Eagles would get out.

EagleCrusade
September 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM
Is there a link to UWG's rumblings about moving to D-I?

The State University of West Georgia is in Carrollton, GA. On I-20 just before the Alabama border. It's considered Metro Atlanta....but then again so is Charlotte.

Why would we complain about WGA? You dont want another small school, now another state school could seek membership, not only a state school but one from our state!! I sense there is no reasoning with this thinking. Oh yeah and they beat us.

Cocky
September 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
They do play in a High School stadium, but it has a jumbotron. In the Gulf South days I enjoyed going to Carrollton for games. W Ga would make a great addition to I-AA, IMO. There are quite a few good football players in their area.

The best thing about W Ga is it only about an one hour drive from Jacksonville.

Eagle_77
September 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
I agree. Georgia is a large state and only has two I-AA schools in GSU and Savannah St (if you want to call them that). West Ga has had there problems lately but a few guys that I went to HS with played there when I was playing at Southern and if I remeber correctly they were a pretty good football team in the late 90's and early 00's.

I have also heard mention of Valdosta St moving up and I would also like to see them in the SoCon. They have been one of the most dominate teams in D-II the past 4 years with a Championship last year.

Im not sure about West GA but Valdosta shares their version of Death Valley with local HS power house Valdosta High. If either were to move up they would need upgrades in their Stadiums.

UAalum72
September 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Is there a link to UWG's rumblings about moving to D-I?

http://www.thewestgeorgian.com/media/paper523/news/2005/09/21/Sports/Uwg-Considers.Move.To.Ncaa.Division.I-991734.shtml?mkey=1795577

including the line "moving from Division II to Division I-AA for football and Division 1-A for all other sports."

Somebody else for ralph to educate.:rolleyes:

GASIUalum
September 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM
UWG is growing rapidly too, plus there's not much to do in that area aside from school related things. Atlanta is a solid hour away(depending on how bad traffic is on the west expressway by Six Flags) and Birmingham is a ways away.

swole
September 21st, 2005, 08:50 PM
VSU RENTS (not shares) Valdosta's stadium from the high school for their games. They flirted with the Lowndes stadium after valdosta turned the stadium black and gold. Talks are in progress on their stadium that will be built in the near future.