PDA

View Full Version : Lamar To Vote On Fee That Would Bring Back Football

GeauxLions94
January 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Students vote this week on whether to assess themselves more fees. Money would go to football (though, if I'm ready this right, Texas does not allow state money to go towards athletics). Hey Texas guys (TT, BFPU ... need your two cents on this).

Lamar Football (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19236424&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512588&rfi=6)

Fresno St. Alum
January 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
We all though ETSU would bring it back and they said no. I hope Lamar says yes and stays in the SLC, I don't think FBS fits them.

TexasTerror
January 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Lamar is going to say yes...

I'm interested to see what the turnout for the vote is going to be. It's tough with these kind of votes because the folks that would be against it, probably just don't care and the folks who are for it will make sure to vote...

Yep -- no state $$$ towards athletics. Schools got to do bonds and also, sometimes make the building partially used for academics so the state picks up some of the $$$.

Funny thing is -- Lamar faithful believe they have no business in FCS. We're basically adding another Texas State - San Marcos program. A program that will not be a consistent outside of maybe in the cellar (Lamar FB was not pretty in the 1980s and they have a hole to dig out of this time around as it relates to facilities)....that clamors to be in the highest non-championship awarding division.

centexguy
January 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Funny thing is -- Lamar faithful believe they have no business in FCS. We're basically adding another Texas State - San Marcos program. A program that will not be a consistent outside of maybe in the cellar (Lamar FB was not pretty in the 1980s and they have a hole to dig out of this time around as it relates to facilities)....that clamors to be in the highest non-championship awarding division.

That's a pretty clueless statement you make there. Just because a few fans on a message board want Lamar to go FBS in 4 or 5 years doesn't mean the "Lamar faithful" are for it.

And why does what happened in the 80's matter? In other posts about Lamar basketball you say what happened in the 80's is irrelevent. History matters or doesn't, make your mind.

But back to football, Lamar's AD Billy Tubbs has said publicly he's consulted with both Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer about the football program. He's definitely going to start a successful FCS program. Maybe you should stick to worrying about why SHSU can't get even 10,000 fans to their games.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 08:12 AM
That's a pretty clueless statement you make there. Just because a few fans on a message board want Lamar to go FBS in 4 or 5 years doesn't mean the "Lamar faithful" are for it.

I'm pretty sure, it's across the board. It seems so many folks at Lamar would not be interested in supporting an FCS program. Does not seem like they were thrilled when Lamar went I-AA the first-time around and that led to the end of the program.

But back to football, Lamar's AD Billy Tubbs has said publicly he's consulted with both Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer about the football program. He's definitely going to start a successful FCS program. Maybe you should stick to worrying about why SHSU can't get even 10,000 fans to their games.

You can consult whomever you want. The Prime Minister of England for all I care, but there's so many people involved in making football a success, I hold all these "consultations" as a grain of salt. They're nice to put out there, but you need help from the LU administration, TSUS Board of Regents and your students (who obviously need to pass a fee increase and help support your program)...

Is Lamar going to be able to top 10,000 fans a contest? That remains to be seen. We've talked in the past how it's mostly a community-based fan support for the basketball teams. Will that group, who is heavy HS football fans (it is the Golden Triangle after all) make the transition to adding LU football? Or will the students pickup the slack?

Can the Golden Triangle fan base support a losing product? A FCS squad instead of an FBS squad? These are questions to be answered. How will this impact LU's enrollment? Will the addition of football have a negative impact on other sports?

DFW HOYA
January 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Can the Golden Triangle fan base support a losing product? A FCS squad instead of an FBS squad? These are questions to be answered. How will this impact LU's enrollment? Will the addition of football have a negative impact on other sports?

Football generally has a positive impact on other sports, not the other way around.

centexguy
January 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Is Lamar going to be able to top 10,000 fans a contest? That remains to be seen. We've talked in the past how it's mostly a community-based fan support for the basketball teams. Will that group, who is heavy HS football fans (it is the Golden Triangle after all) make the transition to adding LU football? Or will the students pickup the slack?

They'll top 10K fans easily the first few years. Like most sports and schools, attendance varies based on how well the team is doing. Attendance for Lamar football games in the late '80s dipped to the 4K to 5K range only after they went 1AA independent with rumors they were dropping football. It's a completely different atmosphere today.

The students are voting today and tomorrow and it will pass easily. We'll know the answer to those questions in the coming years.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Football generally has a positive impact on other sports, not the other way around.

Can't say moving from FCS to FBS football did any good for ULM's program. They had quite a few sports that were consistent winners. Yes, you can argue that this occurred in the SLC and not the Sun Belt, but some of these programs have dropped a great deal in the last few years they were in the SLC with football in the SBC...

PantherRob82
January 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Always good to see teams coming back.

GeauxLions94
January 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Tuesday's story in the Beaumont Enterprise (http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19240796&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=583964&rfi=6).

Look for results to be announced on Thursday

Fresno St. Alum
January 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
You can find progams where an FBS move helped and other sports and some where it hurt.

If Lamar comes back and wins the SLC every 3 years then move but if you're getting your ass handed to you in the SLC what do you think will happen in the FBS.

The most important thing about Lamar is that they add football.

chrisattsu
January 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Good, that means 2 spots (3 if you count UTSA) that move up, and the SLC can pull some new blood from the Lone Star Conference.

Fresno St. Alum
January 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Cough Tarleton St. cough cough

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Cough Tarleton St. cough cough

The question is, before all these SLC schools move up, doesn't Texas State have to move out?

On a completely unrelated note, FSA, I happen to believe that the San Antonio Gunslingers' helmet and uniforms are the ugliest, bar none, in the history of pro sports.

chrisattsu
January 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
The question is, before all these SLC schools move up, doesn't Texas State have to move out?

On a completely unrelated note, FSA, I happen to believe that the San Antonio Gunslingers' helmet and uniforms are the ugliest, bar none, in the history of pro sports.

They would have to move out. However, UTSA, Lamar, and TxSt have stated that they do not want to play football in FCS (or the Southland Conference). If you are in the SLC head office, you might as well start looking around for potential new members.

Figure out which D2 schools in your footprint have D1 plans in the works or which D1 independents are looking for a conference.

Cough Cough, Tarleton already stated that they interested in d1 athletics, and it is included in their 10yr master plan. Tarleton would be the western most member of the conference, but they are close enough to the Metroplex that playing UTA would not be an issue.

West Texas A&M (located just outside of Amarillo in Canyon) is outside of our current foot print, but they do bring a successful D2 football, women's basketball, and volleyball to the table.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
They would have to move out. However, UTSA, Lamar, and TxSt have stated that they do not want to play football in FCS (or the Southland Conference). If you are in the SLC head office, you might as well start looking around for potential new members.

Figure out which D2 schools in your footprint have D1 plans in the works or which D1 independents are looking for a conference.

Cough Cough, Tarleton already stated that they interested in d1 athletics, and it is included in their 10yr master plan. Tarleton would be the western most member of the conference, but they are close enough to the Metroplex that playing UTA would not be an issue.

West Texas A&M (located just outside of Amarillo in Canyon) is outside of our current foot print, but they do bring a successful D2 football, women's basketball, and volleyball to the table.

There's also Tx A&M-Corpus Christi, also in the SLC, who have already announced the results of their study.

chrisattsu
January 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM
There's also Tx A&M-Corpus Christi, also in the SLC, who have already announced the results of their study.

Texas A&M-Kingsville (formerly known as Texas A&I) is only 45 minutes from Corpus. It has a strong athletic tradition, and was at one time, THE university of South Texas. In fact, A&M-Corpus was once part of Texas A&I. Their stadium hold 15,000 and is the host of the Cactus Bowl (the annual D2 all-star game). If they could ever get their act together (financially speaking), they would be a good addition to the SLC as well.

They will continue to get good recruits from South Texas and the Corpus Christi area until TAMUCC gets their program. I think it will be a sad day for the Javelinas if the Islanders should ever start football.

centexguy
January 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Officials at Lamar have never stated publicly that they play to go FBS or that they even want out of the SLC. They've already talked to officials with the SLC about playing football in the conference in 2010. There are some fans who want Lamar to go FBS but nothing official from the school.

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is in a holding pattern concerning football. I believe they want to first have at least 10,000 students on campus before trying to start a football team.

Fresno St. Alum
January 30th, 2008, 01:33 PM
LFN, I agree that the Gunslingers had the ugliest helmet, too much going on not bold enough. Jersey was ok.

I figure at least one of the 3 go FBS leaving the SLC with a spot for Tarleton St.

on the ncaabbs board they have been talking about how UTSA (w/fb)could have a home in the WAC if nothing opens up in the C-USA. They talk about La Tech needing a travel partner since the C-USA won't take them and they'll never go back to the Belt.

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Officials at Lamar have never stated publicly that they play to go FBS or that they even want out of the SLC. They've already talked to officials with the SLC about playing football in the conference in 2010. There are some fans who want Lamar to go FBS but nothing official from the school.

I'm against Lamar playing SLC football til year three of actually playing NCAA football, using the SE Louisiana model for moving into the conference...

Let's let them get up to 63 scholarships and two seasons under their belt. The SLC can help with scheduling (throw a few SLC schools on their slate), but let's keep them out til year three...