PDA

View Full Version : SoCon week four

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Well since no one has offered, here we go:

Western Carolina @ Nicholls State

Western lost by a little at Cincinnati. Nichols lost by a little at Indiana. Western took the Colonels last year and I think their roll continues with a close win.

Appalachian State @ The Citadel

ASU has won a road game so no repeat of last year’s 6-0 at home and 0-5 on the road. They cool off a little after last weeks romp but fortunately they are playing the Bulldogs and still win by a good margin.

Elon @ NC A&T

The battle for the bottom of I-AA in the Carolinas. A&T wins the game and fortunately Charleston Southern is still on the bottom.

Chattanooga @ Georgia Southern

Hmmm, hhhmm, well, I think, hmmm hmmm, this could be, hhmmmm, well, hmmmm

I don’t know, Georgia Southern wins.

Hofstra @ Furman

I hate predicted FU games. The combined score at the end of this game could be in the 70’s or 80’s which will not be a good thing for FU. However, I will go out on a limb and say the FU defense steps up this week, gives up a lot of yards but not quite as many touchdowns, runs the ball owning the clock and wins in a close one. 31-24.

FightinBluHen51
September 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM

Western lost by a little at Cincinnati. Nichols lost by a little at Indiana. Western took the Colonels last year and I think their roll continues with a close win.

ASU has won a road game so no repeat of last year’s 6-0 at home and 0-5 on the road. They cool off a little after last weeks romp but fortunately they are playing the Bulldogs and still win by a good margin.

Elon @ NC A&T

The battle for the bottom of I-AA in the Carolinas. A&T wins the game and fortunately Charleston Southern is still on the bottom.

Hmmm, hhhmm, well, I think, hmmm hmmm, this could be, hhmmmm, well, hmmmm

I don’t know, Georgia Southern wins.

Hofstra @ Furman

I hate predicted FU games. The combined score at the end of this game could be in the 70’s or 80’s which will not be a good thing for FU. However, I will go out on a limb and say the FU defense steps up this week, gives up a lot of yards but not quite as many touchdowns, runs the ball owning the clock and wins in a close one. 31-24.

Over under @ 65.5 on the FU HU game? That sounds about right. I definately have my eyes on this game as it's a big barometer for both the SoCon and A10.

EagleCrusade
September 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM
After eating humble pie last saturday...

Western Carolina....I just don't see it happening.

Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina struggles early. They should win but this game will be closer than the Mountaineers had hoped.

Elon says, 'hey you know what, after we beat these guys, we get to play Georgia Southern.' and then they win.

Hofstra goes into Paladin Stadium, looks at all the Purple and then gets barraged with Purple Rain. Paladins offense gels, defense hardens. Purple wins by 10+

UT-C @ Georgia Southern.
The Mocs are 1-17 against GSU all-time. Their one win was in 1996 when the Eagles had their only losing season under then interim coach Frank Ellwood. The Moccasins (then their mascot) were led by WR Terell Owens en route to a small margin of victory. The Mocs have yet to win in Statesboro. Georgia Southern's season rests on the outcome of this game. I pick Eagles.

Wofford vs. Bye
Mike Ayers is quick to point out that this opponent is the toughest of the year. "You just can't prepare for this kind of opponent. No matter how upset you get, how much you scream, yell or wiggle your moustache at it, it never seems to get affected. It's a head coachs worst nightmare, aside from karate" remarked Ayers on this saturday's most fierce opponent, "Frogger".

dungeonjoe
September 21st, 2005, 03:03 PM

Wofford vs. Bye
Mike Ayers is quick to point out that this opponent is the toughest of the year. "You just can't prepare for this kind of opponent. No matter how upset you get, how much you scream, yell or wiggle your moustache at it, it never seems to get affected. It's a head coachs worst nightmare, aside from karate" remarked Ayers on this saturday's most fierce opponent, "Frogger".

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

nick9c
September 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM

Yes, Western is the real deal...will compete for the SOCON title with their defense leading the way. Western by a touchdown.

ASU lights it up in Charleston. Bellhops struggle. ASU wins this one big.

Elon @ NC A&T

A&T should prevail, but will be closer than most expect. A&T by 3.

The Mocs dont' carry quite enough venom into Statesboro. The Igglets win this one by 2 touchdowns.

Hofstra @ Furman

Furman's D plays a little soft to start, thinking its gay "Pride" weekend. But the D stiffens in the second half and the Paladins come out with a 10 pt victory.

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM

Yes, Western is the real deal...will compete for the SOCON title with their defense leading the way. Western by a touchdown.

ASU lights it up in Charleston. Bellhops struggle. ASU wins this one big.

Elon @ NC A&T

A&T should prevail, but will be closer than most expect. A&T by 3.

The Mocs dont' carry quite enough venom into Statesboro. The Igglets win this one by 2 touchdowns.

Hofstra @ Furman

Furman's D plays a little soft to start, thinking its gay "Pride" weekend. But the D stiffens in the second half and the Paladins come out with a 10 pt victory.

I like your picks but the GSU posters are going to have field day with this one :(

nick9c
September 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, they loved "Pump up the Purple" didn't they? :bang:

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah, they loved "Pump up the Purple" didn't they? :bang:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

chattanoogamocs
September 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM
Their one win was in 1996 when the Eagles had their only losing season under then interim coach Frank Ellwood. The Moccasins (then their mascot) were led by WR Terell Owens en route to a small margin of victory.

Not to get nipicky, but the Mocs mascot was an Indian, not a Moccasin...and Terrell Owens was a rookie in San Francisco in 1996 :)

(although San Fran did have a bye that week, so maybe T.O. flew in to take part in the only Mocs win over the Eagles :cool: )

I think this is probably the closest the Mocs have had to a shot at winning in Paulson...but there is no place in the 102-year history of Chattanooga football that the Mocs have struggled more than Statesboro (0-9 Statesboro, 1-8 Chattanooga)...not even Neyland Stadium (hell, the Mocs have won in Knoxville). :D

But hey, you can't win 'em all! So the law of averages has got to kick in sooner or later! Mocfans are hoping this is the year.

Eagles_Cliff
September 21st, 2005, 06:25 PM
But hey, you can't win 'em all! So the law of averages has got to kick in sooner or later! Mocfans are hoping this is the year.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mocs pull it off. We're in a one-game-at-a time mode now.

Western @ Nicholls will tell us a lot. GSU and Wofford should learn something @ the WC 2005 Defense vs Nicholls option game.

Not sure how good Hofstra is this year and we won't find out Saturday. Hofstra is 2-0 vs nobody and the Vermin are 2-1. Spanked by WCU and last second prayer to beat 0-3 Jax St. who then lost to UTC. Hofstra has the tough games coming up in the next three weeks. The Vermin play App St. Oct 8 and maybe find out something.

Good Luck to the Mocs...you guys need a good year.

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 06:34 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Mocs pull it off. We're in a one-game-at-a time mode now.

Western @ Nicholls will tell us a lot. GSU and Wofford should learn something @ the WC 2005 Defense vs Nicholls option game.

Not sure how good Hofstra is this year and we won't find out Saturday. Hofstra is 2-0 vs nobody and the Vermin are 2-1. Spanked by WCU and last second prayer to beat 0-3 Jax St. who then lost to UTC. Hofstra has the tough games coming up in the next three weeks. The Vermin play App St. Oct 8 and maybe find out something.

Good Luck to the Mocs...you guys need a good year.

From all I have heard there is little question as to how good Hofstra's offense is. Defense is a different story

EagleCrusade
September 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Not to get nipicky, but the Mocs mascot was an Indian, not a Moccasin...and Terrell Owens was a rookie in San Francisco in 1996 :)

(although San Fran did have a bye that week, so maybe T.O. flew in to take part in the only Mocs win over the Eagles :cool: )

I think this is probably the closest the Mocs have had to a shot at winning in Paulson...but there is no place in the 102-year history of Chattanooga football that the Mocs have struggled more than Statesboro (0-9 Statesboro, 1-8 Chattanooga)...not even Neyland Stadium (hell, the Mocs have won in Knoxville). :D

Yeah my bad. I was told T.O. was a senior in 96. My fault.
With the hope that the Mocs have this year, will there be a contingent of UTC faithful making the short drive down?

blukeys
September 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM
From all I have heard there is little question as to how good Hofstra's offense is. Defense is a different story

Hofstra's D can be very good IF they play at home which they are not doing this Saturday. Hofstra is one of those teams that no one knows who will show up until the mid 3rd quarter. They are always explosive. Don't count on time of possession. Hofstra does best when they score quickly. You can have a 10 min. advantage in TOP and lose. Hofstra is always a trap game for anyone. :eek:

On the entertaining side you will get a real, genuine New York guy to hate in Joe Gardi. He looks, sounds and talks like a real, typical, New York big city guy and the contrast with South Carolina should be interesting. The guy is a good coach and he has toned his act down considerably in the last few years but he is one coach the Henfans have always loved to hate. (of course Nova's Talley is ALWAYS No.1) :D :D :D

chattanoogamocs
September 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Probably not a "huge" contingent, but a pretty good crowd has followed the team every where so far (Jacksonville and Memphis). I am going to assume that you are somewhat joking about the "short drive" comment (Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville State, etc are "short drives"...I am not sure I would put Statesboro in the category :))

Sadly, the band was supposed to go, but their budget would not allow it (they are all pretty disappointed).

No matter how much the Mocs have improved or how bad the Eagles are struggling, check out the points differential in the little games notes I wrote for my gameday central thread on Mocfans....

from the Mocfans.com Research Staff:
Notes: This is the 19th meeting between the Mocs and Eagles.

The first game was played in 1984 at Statesboro where the Eagles won 24-17. That is the closest that Chattanooga has ever come to winning at Paulson and GSU's home field is arguably the toughest and most humbling place the Mocs have played in their 102-year history (UC has more wins at Tennessee than they do at Statesboro).

The average score in UC's nine losses at Statesboro is 40.2 to 9.3. While the Mocs have only been shut out once (45-0 in 1993), they have only score over 10 points on three occasions...all in the first three visits (17 in 1984, 14 in 1986, and 14 in 1989) .

40.2 to 9.3 OUCH.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM
WCU: 14
Nichols St: 3

App St: 20
The Citadel: 7

Elon: 35
NC A&T: 10

GSU: 34
UTC: 14
(I hope it's by more...)

Furman: 27
Hofstra: 13

OL FU
September 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM
Hofstra's D can be very good IF they play at home which they are not doing this Saturday. Hofstra is one of those teams that no one knows who will show up until the mid 3rd quarter. They are always explosive. Don't count on time of possession. Hofstra does best when they score quickly. You can have a 10 min. advantage in TOP and lose. Hofstra is always a trap game for anyone. :eek:

On the entertaining side you will get a real, genuine New York guy to hate in Joe Gardi. He looks, sounds and talks like a real, typical, New York big city guy and the contrast with South Carolina should be interesting. The guy is a good coach and he has toned his act down considerably in the last few years but he is one coach the Henfans have always loved to hate. (of course Nova's Talley is ALWAYS No.1) :D :D :D

Good! We won't have to explain the FU cheer :)

adrianb
September 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM
http://www.adrianb.us/yearbooks/yearbookscrap/slides/newberry%20ayers.JPG
You should not make fun of this man's mustache.

Saint3333
September 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
WCU: 17
Nichols St: 7

WCU defense looks to be the real deal this year.

App St: 14
The Citadel: 10

ASU never plays well down in Charleston, if ASU had Furman or GSU next I'd pick the Citadel, but with an open date next week ASU shouldn't be looking ahead.

Elon: 21
NC A&T: 10

The MEAC is bad and A&T isn't exactly sitting on top of it.

UTC: 28
UTC is better, but GSU doesn't lose at home twice in one season... yet.

Furman: 28
Hofstra: 21

Could be a good week for the SoCon if I'm right.

ChickenMan
September 22nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
UTC: 28

UTC is better but GSU doesn't lose at home twice in one season... yet

:eek:

OL FU
September 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

Revision - Winner Rita - Bummer :(

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
I like your picks but the GSU posters are going to have field day with this one :(

Yep! I think the Mocs will run into an angry bunch of "Igglets" in Statesboro. They will score some points but I think Jayson Foster will have a breakout game.

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
On the entertaining side you will get a real, genuine New York guy to hate in Joe Gardi. He looks, sounds and talks like a real, typical, New York big city guy and the contrast with South Carolina should be interesting.

Yeah he put his foot in his mouth in 2000 when he said plaing a playoff game in Statesboro was " just another day in the office." His office closed midway through the first quarter :asswhip:

citdog
September 22nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
WCU vs Nic. State
Cats 28
State 14
The option is nothing new to the Cats and they win a big one on the road.

App vs The Military College of South Carolina
Cadets 17
Yosef 14
The Dogs win on the arms and legs of Sophmore QB Duran Lawson and the humidity.

GSU 45
Chatt 7
A little reality check.

FU 21
Some Yankee School 10
Dingleberry bounces back and the Yankees die in the UpState Heat.

DotCat
September 23rd, 2005, 01:19 AM
WCU vs Nic. State
Cats 28
State 14
The option is nothing new to the Cats and they win a big one on the road.

GAME CANCELLED

SoCon48
September 23rd, 2005, 07:23 AM
The only Carolina is North CAROLINA State, , University of North CAROLINA at Greensboro, University of North CAROLINA at Asheville, University of North CAROLINA at Chapel Hill, University of North CAROLINA at Charlotte, etc etc etc

catamount man
September 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
The only Carolina is North CAROLINA State, , University of North CAROLINA at Greensboro, University of North CAROLINA at Asheville, University of North CAROLINA at Chapel Hill, University of North CAROLINA at Charlotte, etc etc etc

Well, since WCU is a member of the 16 institution UNC system, you can refer to us as University of North Carolina at Cullowhee. Happy? :rolleyes: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WUTNDITWAA
September 23rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Well, since WCU is a member of the 16 institution UNC system, you can refer to us as University of North Carolina at Cullowhee. Happy? :rolleyes: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

If you say so. But such talk about Appalachian would get one kicked out of my house.

sceagle
September 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Well said WUTNDITWAA. Georgia Southern is part of the university system of Georgia but we are in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY affiliated with UGA.

DotCat
September 24th, 2005, 01:59 AM
If you say so. But such talk about Appalachian would get one kicked out of my house.

Indeed. can't believe he said UNC Cullowhee. I hope that never happens.

However, I did hear that the UNC system was looking into changing the name for AppState. No not UNC-B, but...

UNC-http://www.tweetsie.com/common/images/logo_home.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Sad thing is Tweetsie is shutting down after this year, too bad it was a great place for small kids. But I guess that's prime real estate, I look for a housing development to go up in that area.

BlackSaturday
September 24th, 2005, 07:49 AM
I noticed you have pictures of ASU supporter Ric Flair in your signature. Ric's daughter is a freshman on the ASU volleyball team.

catamount man
September 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Yep, Flair's daughter is at ASU. Sad. ;) ;) And yes, UNC-'whee is a nightmare of major proportions, just having a little fun. Good luck today against the bellhops. GO CATAMOUNTS!!! :spank:

WUTNDITWAA
September 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Indeed. can't believe he said UNC Cullowhee. I hope that never happens.

However, I did hear that the UNC system was looking into changing the name for AppState. No not UNC-B, but...

UNC-http://www.tweetsie.com/common/images/logo_home.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Ha! I always liked UNC Tweetsie for some reason. We could have Fred Kirby as a mascot, and the fightsong..."I love the Little Rascals..." Since Fred has been dead for over 10 years and retired for 20, I'm starting to show my age. :eek: