PDA

View Full Version : SHSU/Missouri St Game Could be Moved to Springfield

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM
Here's an article about possibly relocating the football game scheduled for Saturday against Missouri State. Both teams want to play this game and more than likely would move it to Springfield depending on what warrants itself today...

MSU game may be moved

Hurricane Rita, anticipated to make landfall by Saturday on the Texas Gulf Coast, could cause postponement or even relocation of Saturday's Missouri State Bears football game at Sam Houston State.

The game is scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. kickoff in Huntsville, Texas, about 70 miles north of Houston. The projected path of Rita would take it into the Houston-to-Galveston area by early Saturday.

Missouri State athletic director Bill Rowe said Sam Houston State officials have made him aware of the situation and could announce a decision today of whether to proceed as usual or make alternate plans.

One plan Bears football coach Randy Ball would like, if the hurricane threatens, is to move the game to Springfield.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050921/SPORTS0401/509210374/1096

txstatebobcat
September 21st, 2005, 07:43 AM
would the game still be televised?

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM
would the game still be televised?

I am hoping it would still be televised. We don't know if the game is moving yet so it's tough to determine...

Also, this weekend is Parents Weekend at Sam...

Hotels were already booked up for Katrina, now Rita and also Parents Weekend since they were pushing people towards Huntsville...

Bearkat Fanatic
September 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM
Any news on the moving of the SHSU game this Saturday?

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
From the SLC...

Sam Houston State Football Game Possibilities Being Explored

Statement from SHSU Director of Athletics Bobby Williams.

Sept. 21, 2005

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - With Sam Houston State's Fox Sports TV/Parents' Weekend football game with Missouri State scheduled for Saturday night, we are keeping a close eye on the progress of Hurricane Rita.

Sam Houston administration and athletic officials are in touch with their counterparts at Missouri State, Southland Conference and Gateway Conference staff, and Fox Sports as well.

A number of options are available to us. We can play the game as scheduled, cancel, or move to a neutral site. We will make an announcement as to our decision by Thursday at 12 noon.

wlj989s
September 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
They sure are taking their sweet time aren't they?

Bearkat Fanatic
September 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, they are! I need to know if I should buy a ticket and get out my rain-gear, or go somewhere far from here to watch the game.......I am sure that the hurricane will knock out the electricity for miles around this area.

Do you think they will still televise the game if they move it?

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM
They sure are taking their sweet time aren't they?

The President's Cabinet will be meeting at 4 PM today in Huntsville. They are stalling big time on making decisions related to more important things such as classes and student safety. Many students are saying they will NOT go to class on Thursday or Friday. Announcing after 4 PM about a class cancellation is not smart...

As it relates to the game, I think Fox Sports Net complicates matters with this game, as I think it does the A&M/TxSt-SM game. They're also probably working the phones as well. FYI, Huntsville HS as a game at Bowers Stadium on Friday night at 7:30 PM. Lots of HS games are being rescheduled or cancelled. District play begins this week in many districts which would screw up things and possibly force the playoffs to start one week later, possibly...

Bearkat Fanatic
September 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
As far as I know the classes at SHSU have not been cancelled yet, but I am sure they will due to all the students that travel, etc.. There are numerous public schools that have called classes in this area for Friday and Monday.

I bet you that Huntsville HS does not play at Bowers Stadium Firday.:) They will probably cancel the game or postpone it until a later date...even though they are starting district play. Actually they are just postponing their loss.....they have been sucking for the last decade or so.

I wish Rita would hit down around Brownsville....of course with no injuries to the folks down that way.

Sly Fox
September 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Huntsville is the primary location for all of the evacuees from Galveston. And I believe the high school game may have been moved to Thursday night.

They need to either postpone the game or move it to Springfield. This is a Category 5 storm and needs to be treated with that type of respect.

beerkat
September 21st, 2005, 06:00 PM
*edited*

according to this link, the game is still on http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/

wlj989s
September 21st, 2005, 11:13 PM
I would rather not put our team in immediate danger of flying anywhere near the area that Rita is expected to hit. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you who are in the path.

Bearkat Fanatic
September 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM
Things are getting crazy here in Huntsville. All the shelters are full, and they are directing folks to other shelter sites to the north.

SHSU has cancelled classes for today & Friday, but no word on the game. I bet they are thinking that Rita will pass by with little damage and all those folks staying on SHSU campus (which is 1000+) will just come to the game Saturday. I doubt that they will want to see a f-ball game with all the destruction from the storm.

All the area schools are closed both today and Firday and so are all the local volleyball and football games.

I look for things to be very very rough here by Saturday.:(

Bearkat Fanatic
September 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Beerkat: Better re-read your message. It says the game for Saturday has been cancelled. 5th sentence down.

beerkat
September 22nd, 2005, 11:19 AM
yes, the game is cancelled, they updated that webpage this morning