PDA

View Full Version : Another huge get for Georgia Southern

Baldy
January 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I know, probably should be in the recruiting thread, but any time you land a top 40 player, it is big news.

Sounds as though GSU landed another highly sought ofter RB over the weekend. Reports say that David Arnold, the #37 all purpose RB according to rivals has given his verbal commitment to play for Georgia Southern.

David Arnold rivals.com profile (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=72800)

So far, that's two 3-star commitments at RB, and Adam Urbano a 2-star commitment. That should go a long way to bring much needed depth to a depleted and much needed position.

PaladinFan
January 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
interesting that all of these highly touted running backs are jumping at the chance to play for an air raid offense.

Baldy
January 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
interesting that all of these highly touted running backs are jumping at the chance to play for an air raid offense.
I know, ain't it great! xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
January 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I know, ain't it great! xthumbsupx

Still don't have anyone to block for em :D

seantaylor
January 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
This recruiting class is a monster. Potentially better than last years class, which I thought was the best in GSU history.

Syntax Error
January 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM
interesting that all of these highly touted running backs are jumping at the chance to play for an air raid offense.Hatcher's offenses have always had 1K rushers too.

Baldy
January 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Still don't have anyone to block for em :D
I wouldn't worry too much about that PalFan, we will probably sign the largest class in FCS this year, and there will be plenty of high quality lineman in that class too. xthumbsupx

DoubleE
January 28th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Rumor from Columbus is that if Terrelle Pryor commits to tOSU then rsFr QB Antonio Henton will transfer to Georgia Southern

ButlerGSU
January 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about that PalFan, we will probably sign the largest class in FCS this year, and there will be plenty of high quality lineman in that class too. xthumbsupx

The bad thing about that is we are forced to sign the largest because as Hatcher put it, we need help in every single position.

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
The bad thing about that is we are forced to sign the largest because as Hatcher put it, we need help in every single position.

It's interesting that GSU has entered the last three seasons with all kinds of questions about what to expect. A good recruiting class is the first step to really rebuilding. I expect a few of these guys will make an immediate impact, but it might be two or three years before we see the fruits of Hatcher's efforts.

813Jag
January 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Looks like GSU has been recruiting the Tampa area pretty good, there's lots of kids here hungry for a chance. xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
January 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Did ya'll lose a lot of players to graduation, or was the team just playing inspired ball in Boone?xconfusedx

ButlerGSU
January 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Did ya'll lose a lot of players to graduation, or was the team just playing inspired ball in Boone?xconfusedx

Both. Our injury plagued team this season was pretty young but we'll be even younger in 2008. Coach Hatcher has said we will sign the maximum 30 this year.

trusty
January 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
It's interesting that GSU has entered the last three seasons with all kinds of questions about what to expect. A good recruiting class is the first step to really rebuilding. I expect a few of these guys will make an immediate impact, but it might be two or three years before we see the fruits of Hatcher's efforts.

Bingo PaladinFan! I think/hope most everyone understands that. Now after next year it is a NC or pack the bags:D:D xlolx

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Bingo PaladinFan! I think/hope most everyone understands that. Now after next year it is a NC or pack the bags:D:D xlolx

Were just enjoying beating you guys these days. Take your time.

blueballs
January 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM

On offense yes, defense no.

GSU returns pretty much the entire two deep on defense except for DL TJ Watkins but lost the following offensive players:

OL: Orr, Brad Williams, Estrada, Suarez, Jensen, Gibony
QB: Foster
RB: Lewis, Jefferson, Reddick
WR: Campbell

Bold = 2007 starter

GreatAppSt
January 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
This recruiting class is a monster. Potentially better than last years class, which I thought was the best in GSU history.The bombastic huff n' puff already building, huh Sean?:D

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM
The bombastic huff n' puff already building, huh Sean?:D

if they sign 30, then literally a monster. However, sign all the great runningbacks you can, you can only play one at a time.

DoubleE
January 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
if they sign 30, then literally a monster. However, sign all the great runningbacks you can, you can only play one at a time.

well 3 if your Navy :)

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Who says? Hatcher has used players he signed at "RB" to be slotbacks, wide recievers, running backs, full backs, linebackers, and safeties.

Hatcher also really likes using the shotgun-2 back formation also.

soweagle
January 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Who says? Hatcher has used players he signed at "RB" to be slotbacks, wide recievers, running backs, full backs, linebackers, and safeties.

Yeah but some of that was b/c he had to not b/c he wanted to.

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah but some of that was b/c he had to not b/c he wanted to.

I agree. While it's possible and even likely that Hatcher could use unique packages, at least two of these guys will redshirt.

I completely understand, though, that you make do with what you have on the roster with different formations. My team will go into the shotgun with two fullbacks flanking the quarterback. How often do you see that? xlolx

Kill'em
January 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
On offense yes, defense no.

GSU returns pretty much the entire two deep on defense except for DL TJ Watkins but lost the following offensive players:

OL: Orr, Brad Williams, Estrada, Suarez, Jensen, Gibony
QB: Foster
RB: Lewis, Jefferson, Reddick
WR: Campbell

Bold = 2007 starter
Word has it that we lost Jerry Barker and Brandon Jackson.

PSUVikings
January 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
That star system is so flawed, I watched Kevin Craft go from a 1-Star player to a 5-Star player in 1 night, why? Cause he committed to UCLA. Its all complete crap.

Kill'em
January 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM

We lost a lot on offense. Hatcher has also done a great job of ridding the program of problem-children. He has made it very clear how the players are to conduct themselves and that they are student-athletes, with an emphasis on "student."

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Oddly enough, VanGorder had a really good recruiting class. Hatcher also had one class from last season. This will be his 2nd recruiting class.

GSU is chock full of talent. We just need to stay healthy and figure out this new offense (the true Hatch Attack/Air Raid w/o being adapted to suit Jayson Foster's awesomeness) and new defense (3-3-5 stack).

Laserlips
January 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM
FWIW:

I think the most exciting news was that Jayson Foster was granted an additional year of play by the NCAA because of the extended bench time he had while "injured" when the goober was our coach..

Very few people thought it worth the appeal, but that just goes to show ya!

Run, Jayson, run!

JP.

P.S. Pure bovine excretement of course.

mrklean
January 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Oddly enough, VanGorder had a really good recruiting class. Hatcher also had one class from last season. This will be his 2nd recruiting class.

GSU is chock full of talent. We just need to stay healthy and figure out this new offense (the true Hatch Attack/Air Raid w/o being adapted to suit Jayson Foster's awesomeness) and new defense (3-3-5 stack).

This could be a very good season for the eagles!!!

soweagle
January 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I agree. While it's possible and even likely that Hatcher could use unique packages, at least two of these guys will redshirt.

I completely understand, though, that you make do with what you have on the roster with different formations. My team will go into the shotgun with two fullbacks flanking the quarterback. How often do you see that? xlolx

True but I was referring to injuries forced the movement of players. This was especially true late in the season. By the last game with Colorado St. the postions some of these guys were playing was so sad you had to laugh.

PaladinFan
January 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM
This could be a very good season for the eagles!!!

I was thinking completely the opposite. With the talent the Eagles lost on the offensive side this will be more of a rebuilding year, in my opinion.

I just don't see how you can lose the premier offensive threat in the country and not take at least a small step back. Given the nature and competitveness of the conference in 2008, a small step back could cost several spots in the standings. No longer can Furman, App, and GSU just show up against the rest of the conference and win on superior talent. The rest of these teams are good now.

Kill'em
January 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Agreed. The rest of the SoCon has really improved and every team better bring their best. We did lose a lot of talent, which screws up team chemistry. Our season will depend on two things: 1) how long it takes the team to come together and 2) how many true freshman we are forced to play and how soon will they grow up. Depth will be a big problem for us.

PaladinFan
January 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Agreed. The rest of the SoCon has really improved and every team better bring their best. We did lose a lot of talent, which screws up team chemistry. Our season will depend on two things: 1) how long it takes the team to come together and 2) how many true freshman we are forced to play and how soon will they grow up. Depth will be a big problem for us.

Are y'all getting the extra week of practice again this year before the season starts? ;)

ButlerGSU
January 31st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Are y'all getting the extra week of practice again this year before the season starts? ;)

Nope, we open at UGA. We do have two bye weeks during the season though xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Nope, we open at UGA. We do have two bye weeks during the season though xsmiley_wix

That first game might be a long afternoon for the Eagle fans. Just try to put on a better show than Hawai'i.

ButlerGSU
January 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
That first game might be a long afternoon for the Eagle fans. Just try to put on a better show than Hawai'i.

Yep, nothing like opening the season up in the house of the #1 team in the country while starting true freshmen...

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Yep, nothing like opening the season up in the house of the #1 team in the country while starting true freshmen...

...on the offensive line.

we probably won't have much better luck at VT.

Kill'em
February 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Assuming that Mike Hamilton has left the program and if Rosier's knee isn't ready, we could have true freshmen in the backfield.

PaladinFan
February 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Assuming that Mike Hamilton has left the program and if Rosier's knee isn't ready, we could have true freshmen in the backfield.

well its good you'll have a warmup game then. xsmhx

Kill'em
February 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
well its good you'll have a warmup game then. xsmhx

It might sound like a joke, but in reality, that is just what the uga game is. Should we lose (or lose big), it won't hurt us. The offense will have a rough time and there won't be enough defensive depth. However, this game will be beneficial to getting the folks some game experience.

ButlerGSU
February 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
It might sound like a joke, but in reality, that is just what the uga game is. Should we lose (or lose big), it won't hurt us. The offense will have a rough time and there won't be enough defensive depth. However, this game will be beneficial to getting the folks some game experience.

That is very true, we won't face a better opponent or a tougher environment all season. Talk about trial by fire but it'll grow the freshmen up quickly.

ButlerGSU
February 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
QB Leander Barney (5-10 182) of Irmo, who had one time or another appear headed to Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern and Appalachian State, has made a final decision. Barney made his official visit to Georgia Southern over the weekend and committed to the Eagles. "They are going to give me the opportunity to play quarterback, and that's what I want to do," Baney said. Last season Barney rushed for 1064 yards and 15 touchdowns and passed for 638 yards and 9 scores.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080203/PSPORTS02/890428504/-1/PSPORTS

PaladinFan
February 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
QB Leander Barney (5-10 182) of Irmo, who had one time or another appear headed to Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern and Appalachian State, has made a final decision. Barney made his official visit to Georgia Southern over the weekend and committed to the Eagles. "They are going to give me the opportunity to play quarterback, and that's what I want to do," Baney said. Last season Barney rushed for 1064 yards and 15 touchdowns and passed for 638 yards and 9 scores.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080203/PSPORTS02/890428504/-1/PSPORTS

5'10 quarterback? He sounds more like Jayson Foster than a move towards an air raid offense.

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
by

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
G bye log

seantaylor
February 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
This is already the best class GSU has ever signed, and easily the best class in the FBS so far. 5 3 star recruits already, and possibly could have a 4 star on signing day.