PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Kessman to Montana

Ronbo
January 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM
He's officially a Griz. A big get. BYU's top recruit for 2007. WR, RB, and Punt Return abilities. He'll be a redshirt Freshman in 2008.

Ryan Kessman Highlights (http://video.google.com/url?docid=-521793938061264304&esrc=sr2&ev=v&len=833&q=ryan%2Bkessman&srcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3 Fdocid%3D-521793938061264304&vidurl=%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D-521793938061264304%26q%3Dryan%2Bkessman%26total%3D 3%26start%3D0%26num%3D10%26so%3D0%26type%3Dsearch% 26plindex%3D1&usg=AL29H22l_7kxvBeEF0-rQopFatKRq1FYDQ)

MR. CHICKEN
January 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
DRAT...GRIZZWOLDS......................BRAWK!

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Yes we're lucky to get him.

Here is his HS bio.

Ryan Kessman
6-0, 190, WR
San Jacinto, CA (San Jacinto HS)

An all-state receiver as a junior ... recorded 43 receptions for 848 yards and 12 touchdowns for the Tigers ... helped lead San Jacinto to the CIF Division 11 semifinals ... averaged 38 yards on punt returns and 46 yards on kickoff returns ... an all-region selection ... under the direction of head coach Bill Powell, helped lead the Tigers to the CIF title game as a senior ... carried the ball 102 times for 1,134 yards as a senior, averaging 11.2 yards per carry ... credited with 15 rushing touchdowns ... averaged 94.5 yards per game ... credited with 16 receptions for 188 yards and one touchdown in 2006 ... totaled a season-high 211 yards rushing in the Tigers' 38-37 win over Ontario Christian ... also ran for 204 yards in a 33-10 win over Citrus Hill... recorded 50 career touchdowns in high school ... listed among the top 100 recruits in California ... an All-Foothill League performer ... recruited by BYU, Arizona State, Hawaii, Miami (Fla.), Oregon, Texas Tech and UCLA.

D1scout
January 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Very impressive high school video. That young man can not only run well he can catch too! I'm surprised that some FBS program didn't snatch him up!xconfusedx

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Very impressive high school video. That young man can not only run well he can catch too! I'm surprised that some FBS program didn't snatch him up!xconfusedx

There were some interested but I think he didn't want to wait a year to play and lose that year of eligibility.

Mountain Panther
January 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
He's officially a Griz. A big get. BYU's top recruit for 2007. WR, RB, and Punt Return abilities. He'll be a redshirt Freshman in 2008.

Ryan Kessman Highlights (http://video.google.com/url?docid=-521793938061264304&esrc=sr2&ev=v&len=833&q=ryan%2Bkessman&srcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3 Fdocid%3D-521793938061264304&vidurl=%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D-521793938061264304%26q%3Dryan%2Bkessman%26total%3D 3%26start%3D0%26num%3D10%26so%3D0%26type%3Dsearch% 26plindex%3D1&usg=AL29H22l_7kxvBeEF0-rQopFatKRq1FYDQ)

So did he go to BYU fall semester 2007? Why did he leave?

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
This was posted by a friend of the family when the same question was asked on eGriz.

Ryan and 5 other players went into Salt Lake city to a non drinking and non smoking club 18 and up. The car broke down and they didn't get back to the dorms until very late. They also were late to weight lifting the next morning. all 6 players were punished by running until Bronco got tired. One player even cracked a bone in his hip from how hard they had to work out and run. All 6 players were suspended from the team until they completed 20 hours of community service which was great. They ALL deserved it. Ryan agreed with those terms. The next day Ryan was at a Star Bucks with his GF in Provo. Ryan ordered a vanilla Cappiccino for his GF. Ryan asked for a drink and he took a drink of it. The people in the car in back of Ryan saw Ryan take a drink and sent an e-mail to Bronco Mendenhall. The person in the car in back of Ryan asked the server at StarBucks what Ryan ordered and she told him a vanilla cappiccino. The next day Ryan was asked by the HC if he had violated any of the rules of the Honor Code and at the bottom of the list in the honor code was the drinking of coffee. Bronco reminded Ryan if he lied that he would lose his scholarship. Ryan told the truth saying he drank some coffee but he didn't think it was such a big deal because he was jewish and not mormon. Bronco reminded Ryan that it was a violation of the HC. That's when Ryan asked for his release from his scholarship.

Mountain Panther
January 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
This was posted by a friend of the family when the same question was asked on eGriz.

I have a feeling he'll be much happier in Missoula. xnodx

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I have a feeling he'll be much happier in Missoula. xnodx

Yep, we have lots of great Cappuccino Coffee bars here. All Griz welcome! xlolx

CSUBUCDAD
January 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Why in the world a non Mormon would go to play at BYU and have to agree to a bunch of religious rules that did even apply to his faith is beyond me. Plenty of places where you can play and be a teenager and young person and get to experience the college life the way it should be. The Griz got a damn good one in this kid.

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I love the way he immediately and respectfully runs to hand the ball to the Ref after he scores a TD. Been there done that. No celebration or hotdogging. He let's his performance on the field speak for him.xnodx The sign of a mature young man.

Mountain Panther
January 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Why in the world a non Mormon would go to play at BYU and have to agree to a bunch of religious rules that did even apply to his faith is beyond me. Plenty of places where you can play and be a teenager and young person and get to experience the college life the way it should be. The Griz got a damn good one in this kid.

It used to be if you're good enough, BYU will look the other way (Jim McMahan).

I've heard they've really tightened up the rules since he was around.

slostang
January 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Watch it Ronbo, he is from California and we know the only Griz players that get in trouble are the ones from California.

Tod
January 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Watch it Ronbo, he is from California and we know the only Griz players that get in trouble are the ones from California.

Damn coffee drinkers...xcoffeex (oops!) Damn! Probably get banned from AGS for that. xrolleyesx :D

Can you imagine getting in trouble for drinking coffee?! Wow! xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Careful now. I hate to bring up the fact that the recent troubles at Montana have resulted in a 100% caucasian recruiting class. Not that I like it but that's the way it's shaping up. I'm really unhappy about it.xmadx

McNeese_beat
January 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
On a related note...

Are you Griz ready to ban Paul Wulff from your state? I notice he's been getting a lot of commits where WSU previously didn't seem to recruit Montana.

Ronbo
January 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM
On a related note...

Are you Griz ready to ban Paul Wulff from your state? I notice he's been getting a lot of commits where WSU previously didn't seem to recruit Montana.

Looks like California should ban him. He's got nobody from Montana.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&cfg=null&toinid=738&yr=2008

putter
January 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
On a related note...

Actually, one of the best lineman in the state didn't go to WSU. He ended up committing to.... Iowa.

Kaduce
January 28th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Actually, one of the best lineman in the state didn't go to WSU. He ended up committing to.... Iowa.

WSU didn't offer.

Peems
January 28th, 2008, 03:43 AM
who was that?

D1scout
January 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I think this is definitely a case where the player didn't fit the school and found out only after being there. I don't blame him for leaving nor do I blame BYU for their out of the norm rules. It's their rules and money so abide by them if you want to go there. I do think this young man is a pretty good kid and will do well at Montana. Just keep him away from the coffee!xlolx

putter
January 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
who was that?

Casey McMillan

Ronbo
January 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Ryan is staying in Provo tonight as a half way overnight stop on his drive from California to Missoula. Hope he stops at Starbucks on the way out of town tomorrow, buys a cappucino and drinks it with pleasure as he drives out of town. He will enroll tomorrow and begin conditioning. A family friend said he told him he really liked Missoula, called it a scenic college town with real nice people and clean air.

D1scout
January 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
its final. i am not voting for Romney.

What?!!!

I Bleed Purple
January 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
BYU's honor code is much stricter than the normal rules for a Mormon to live by. I haven't listened to sports talk radio in awhile but that seems to be something they'd talk about here.

Here's a dilemma with me and Jim McMahon. He went to a high school and college I don't root for to put it mildly. Roy High School is my alma mater's biggest rival (I'm very happy to announce Roy has really sucked at football for the past however long McMahon graduated) and I root for Utah over BYU, yet he was the quarterback for my favorite team's only super bowl. How Roy produced a guy like Jim out of a school of hicks (said with the highest regard :D ) is beyond me.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What?!!!

I'm pretty sure that had something to do with the mormonism angle. It took me a second too but I thought it was pretty funny.

McNeese_beat
February 2nd, 2008, 02:52 AM

Sorry. I must have been smoking my crack pipe that day because I swear I read that five Montana players were headed to WSU, but obviously, I'm mistaken xdohx

Ronbo
February 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry. I must have been smoking my crack pipe that day because I swear I read that five Montana players were headed to WSU, but obviously, I'm mistaken xdohx

I think there's 5 players (none Montana kids) we had offered that committed to Washington State. That's pretty common to lose recruits to the PAC 10. Shows Bobby's going after talented players. We usually offer early and occasionally get some of those guys.

McNeese_beat
February 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think there's 5 players (none Montana kids) we had offered that committed to Washington State. That's pretty common to lose recruits to the PAC 10. Shows Bobby's going after talented players. We usually offer early and occasionally get some of those guys.

Same things happen down here. You can't settle for kids the bigger schools show no interest in. McNeese is sitting over pins and needles over a DB from Beaumont Ozen who committed to McNeese way back in December (ha...it seems like that's long ago). But, predictably, bigger schools have come to him as a "fall-back" guy. This weekend, he's in Fayetteville visiting the Hogs. If there's an offer, McNeese probably loses him.

There was a case last year where that didn't happen. A kid turned down late offers from TCU and Rice to stick to his McNeese commitment. And already this year, McNeese has had two O-linemen switch their commitments from bigger schools (Tulane and Houston) to McNeese. In the case of the Tulane kid, he straight up did not like New Orleans. In the case of the UH kid, his status with the program became uncertain after Briles left for Baylor, so he looked for safe harbor at McNeese.

So I agree. If McNeese took it for granted it could not beat bigger schools for players, they would lose sizable chunks of their recruiting classes.

The other half of it is that most of the guys McNeese recruits that wind up at BCS or upper-level mid-major programs are second-tier recruits for those schools. That means if things don't work out for them and they look to transfer, McNeese already has a good pre-existing relationship with the kid.

Ronbo
February 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Same here. One O-Lineman that committed to Iowa this season said if things didn't work out he'd come back to play for Montana. He wants to play and I don't think he wants to be just a special teams guy.

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
the

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
;-)

D1scout
February 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that had something to do with the mormonism angle. It took me a second too but I thought it was pretty funny.

Thanks, now I get it. It's cute but I wonder if Mitt drinks coffee?