PDA

View Full Version : TXST BOCATS at TX A&M

TXST_CAT
September 20th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Texas State Athletics Web Site

Texas State, off to a 2-0 start for the first time since 1996, returns to action Saturday when the Bobcats travel to Texas A&M for a 6 p.m. game. Saturday's contest marks the sixth straight year the `Cats have faced a Division I-A school and the fourth time since 2000 the team has taken on an opponent from the Big XII Conference.

Texas State's No. 14 ranking is the highest for the program since being ranked No. 12 in the NCAA I-AA Top 20 poll back on Oct. 19, 1992. The Bobcats highest Division I-AA ranking ever came under current Texas A&M head coach Dennis Franchione when the squad was ranked ninth in the NCAA I-AA poll on Sept. 9, 1991. That team posted a 7-4 record but finished outside the Top 20.

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091905aaa.html
I know this game could be ugly but I hope our Cats come out with a chip on their shoulder ready to fight.

TXST_CAT
September 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Texas A&M Game Decision Still Pending
Options still being considered
Sept. 20, 2005
With Hurricane Rita forecasted to make landfall along the Texas Gulf Coast and the threat of extremely high wind conditions possible for Central Texas by Saturday and possibly Friday, Texas A&M administrators, weather and emergency personnel and athletic department staff met in separate sessions on Tuesday concerning Saturday's scheduled game with Texas State.
As of late Tuesday, administrators continued to be studying forecast models of Hurricane Rita and options for the game are still being considered. Texas A&M President Robert Gates will make the final determination.
"We have been in constant contact with officials from Texas A&M and we understand the impact of any decision which will be made concerning the game," said Dr. Larry Teis, Texas State Director of Athletics. "Given the circumstances of the situation, we believe if the game is going to be played, Thursday may be the best option."

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092005aaa.html

This could actualy play to our advanage but I hope Rita doesn't become a disaster.

Sly Fox
September 20th, 2005, 11:39 PM
It likely will be moved up to Thursday evening and will be televised. The announcement should come by noon from what we're hearing.

CatFan22
September 21st, 2005, 01:31 AM
Go Cats!

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 05:48 AM
It likely will be moved up to Thursday evening and will be televised. The announcement should come by noon from what we're hearing.

I am surprised they didn't make the announcement on Tuesday. Seems to me that prolonging the announcement would hurt the normalcy of the game that they could have and really hurt attendance from those out of towners going to the game...

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 08:14 AM
Good idea IMHO. The Aggie faithful should still pack the place.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
Good idea IMHO. The Aggie faithful should still pack the place.

Not sure about that considering lower parts of the Houston/Galveston Metro area will have to be evacuated. The fans from out of town are less likely to show up due to the traffic situation as one of the evacuation routes leads right to Bryan/College Station and that's actually the biggest location for evacuation (bigger than Brenham, Huntsville or Lufkin), so it'll be crazy...

HensRock
September 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Not sure about that considering lower parts of the Houston/Galveston Metro area will have to be evacuated. The fans from out of town are less likely to show up due to the traffic situation as one of the evacuation routes leads right to Bryan/College Station and that's actually the biggest location for evacuation (bigger than Brenham, Huntsville or Lufkin), so it'll be crazy...

Then...sorry....but WHY are they even considering playing the football game at all?

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 08:57 AM
Then...sorry....but WHY are they even considering playing the football game at all?

I'm not really sure. Remember when LSU cancelled their game er moved it to Arizona cause of all the stuff going on around the complex?

A&M will have folks in Reed Arena, I'm assuming, the same place they had them for Katrina and that's right next to the stadium. Also, A&M has a Galveston campus and they are guaranteed to evacuate them to Bryan/College Station. That's over 1700 though it probably won't be all of them. Then, according to Coach Fran's web site, there's some academic situations (for example, classes meet during the week in East Kyle Field).

It's a tough situation...

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 09:25 AM
it'll be crazy...
From what I've heard, so are the ATM fans. I imagine they're thinking if the play the game Thursday night, that gives them all day Friday to get moving. Landfall expected Saturday and by the time it gets to College Station it should be mostly a rain event. Not trying to downplay the seriousness of the storm, but I think they'll be fine that far inland.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
From what I've heard, so are the ATM fans. I imagine they're thinking if the play the game Thursday night, that gives them all day Friday to get moving. Landfall expected Saturday and by the time it gets to College Station it should be mostly a rain event. Not trying to downplay the seriousness of the storm, but I think they'll be fine that far inland.

Word is that if hits as a cat 5 or even a high 4, that Huntsville and B/CS will see 75 mph winds and of course, the rains expected by this storm...

Mayor White of Houston and Judge Eckels of Harris County have a news conference coming on here in the next few minutes.

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM
C'mon Terror, Rick Perry has been assured by Kathleen Blanco that it won't be that bad.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Mayor of Houston has called voluntary evacuations for low-lying areas that typically get flooded. I live next to a bayou where I am now, already evacuated from Metairie, LA, but we've never been flooded...

Ft Worth or Austin is in my plans more than likely...

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Press Conference at 3 PM. Does not seem like this game will be played. Way too many folks heading to B/CS. Doubt they'd have a press conference featuring the President saying it was on...
------
From A&M's President...

I know many of you are curious whether our football game with Texas State will be played and if it might be moved to Thursday evening. The President of Texas State and I will make that decision this afternoon, depending on the predicted path and timing of the hurricane. Clearly, the safety of our students, faculty, staff and the entire Aggie family must be the sole consideration. (Please don't e-mail me your opinion about the game. It is not a decision to be made on the basis of a popular vote.) We will send you an update later this afternoon about this decision, TAMUG operations, and any other decisions in anticipation of the hurricane.

Robert M. Gates

http://www.tamu.edu/tamunews/Rita/

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
This game is on...

7:30 telecast on Fox SW on Thursday. Kick off at 7:40 supposedly...

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 04:09 PM
7:30 telecast on Fox SW
Just found out I may actually get that channel! :)

Bobcat94
September 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM
I’m sort of surprised we are playing, but what the heck several Bobcats from Austin, Texas are already planning on taking off from work tomorrow afternoon and caravanning in to College Station. Thanks for the support from the I-AA nation, keep an eye out for us on FOX. And be praying for all of us crazy Texans this weekend. I think the ‘Cats will make a good show for all of you, not promising any Davis’, but everyone from Bobcat land has been fired up about this since they announced the game a few years ago.

TEXAS!!!!!

Sly Fox
September 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM
Highways 290 & 6 as well as I-45 are hurricance evacuation routes that are bumper-to-bumper heading out of town. With this now a Category 5 hurricane I seriously question the decision to play this game tomorrow night. I realize the weather will be fine for the game, but people are fleeing for their lives right past College Station and searching for a place to stay in San Marcos to weather the storm. It seems to be in poor taste to me. With the two schools in such close proximity, it could've easily been rescheduled the first week in December after the Aggies lose again the Longhorns.

BCisforBobcatTX
September 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM
STATE!!!!!

txstatebobcat
September 21st, 2005, 08:34 PM
The game is either Thursday or never.

BCisforBobcatTX
September 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM
Wow, so they only got like three days to prep for us. Couple that with the fact that they're probably looking past us and they played like crap in the first half against SMU and we just may have a ballgame on our hands!!

bkrownd
September 22nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
Will there be a (free) audio webcast for this game?

bobcatfan06
September 22nd, 2005, 01:22 AM
www.ktsw.net is the Texas State student station, but sometimes it has problems. Plus, I don't know if they will even be doing it, because it is on TV and such short notice. Texas A&M might have a free webcast although I am not sure. You can go to www.aggiefans.com and ask and I'm sure they will tell you.

BCisforBobcatTX
September 22nd, 2005, 01:31 AM
There's a link to game tracker and audio on txstatebobcats.collegesports.com Also, if that's no good, go to the sports link on yahoo.com They broadcast a baseball game we had with A&M back in April I believe and it came through nicely.