PDA

View Full Version : Defending Champs to meet? ASU LSU

Touchdown Yosef
January 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have heard some strong rumors that ASU and LSU will meet the first game of next season. Fresh from the rumor mill.

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised honestly. I remember hearing they wanted to play again, but couldn't determine a year. Loose talk was that it was planned for '09 then was moved. Kinda died down after that.

93henfan
January 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Well, now that you've established your track record with FBS powerhouses, anything less than a convincing victory would be underachieving.xnodx

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Well in '05 we missed several opportunities to score against LSU.

Dropped TD by K-Rich in the endzone and I believe two missed FGs by Rauch.

24-0 was the score....not bad for a small school in the mountains of NC no one had heard of :D

Appguy
January 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
We're actually scheduled on LSU's website (http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=27811&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&Q_SEASON=2009) to play in the 09 season on September 5th, so it would be unlikely we'd play them next year even though they do have an open date on September 13th.

I love how they have the cockyness to put 08-09 or 09-10 season (the only way a season goes into the following year is if you go to a major BCS bowl, correct?)

Appinator
January 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
We're actually scheduled on LSU's website (http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=27811&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&Q_SEASON=2009) to play in the 09 season on September 5th, so it would be unlikely we'd play them next year even though they do have an open date on September 13th.

I love how they have the cockyness to put 08-09 or 09-10 season (the only way a season goes into the following year is if you go to a major BCS bowl, correct?)

Most people have that on their schedules if they're FBS.

LehighFan11
January 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Yea big time programs always do that. I remember getting the program to the Miami v. Nebraska national championship game and seeing on there Miami has Ohio St scheduled for 2010 and 2011. Remember this game was in 2000!
I would love to see LSU play ASU, but I doubt it would happen. Les Miles doesn't need to take a non conference loss with the SEC schedule they have. Teams from weaker conferences need to schedule hard OOC.

JohnStOnge
January 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I would love to see LSU play ASU, but I doubt it would happen. Les Miles doesn't need to take a non conference loss with the SEC schedule they have. Teams from weaker conferences need to schedule hard OOC.

We'll see what happens but I think LSU would be more rather than less likely to schedule ASU next season because ASU won the FCS national championship. As I've written before, they indicated they would strongly consider violating their policy of not playing "in state" I-AAs by opening the 2003 season against McNeese if the Cowboys had won the 2002 I-AA title game because they could sell it as having a defending national champ come in. The fact that App State beat Michigan just makes it more interesting from a marketing standpoint.

BlueHenBoy
January 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I have always wanted to see a tournament between all 4 division champions. But it would never happen because the 1-A and 1-AA schools don't want to risk injury.

brownbear
January 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I have always wanted to see a tournament between all 4 division champions. But it would never happen because the 1-A and 1-AA schools don't want to risk injury.

Or the embarrassment of defeat to a school from a lower level.

Touchdown Yosef
January 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Or the embarrassment of defeat to a school from a lower level.

or the fact that a D III school vs. anyone but the D II school would be a blowout beyond imagination and a complete waste of time.

I think a much more entertaining and viable game would be to see the FBS champ against the worst team in the NFL.

JohnStOnge
January 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
or the fact that a D III school vs. anyone but the D II school would be a blowout beyond imagination and a complete waste of time..

Yosef! How quickly you forget. Relatively recently, in 2006, D III Wisconsin Lacrosse beat South Dakota State. I realize that, techically, South Dakota State was "transitional." But I think most would admit that the Rabbits were equivalent to a reasonably solid FCS team.

And a D III team beat them 17-3.

Touchdown Yosef
January 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
yes but not the current champs of FCS. I guess I like anyone could admit that any given saturday... but I doubt it enough to put good money on it.

TheValleyRaider
January 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think a much more entertaining and viable game would be to see the FBS champ against the worst team in the NFL.

The NFL team would win handily. It may not be a blowout, but it would certainly be comfortable for the pros xnodx

ERASU2113
January 24th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The NFL team would win handily. It may not be a blowout, but it would certainly be comfortable for the pros xnodx

Dolphins vs. LSU? That'd be nice to see......

Maybe even Dolphins vs. USC too :D

appsfan
January 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Agreed, the worst NFL team IMO would easily beat the BCS champion. xspankx

JBB
January 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
The Rabbits were in a total rebuild, but the point is made!

LSU just popped up in the NDSU scheduling rumor mill but it looks unlikely. They have one of the best college teams I have seen in a few years.

Seawolf97
January 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
or the fact that a D III school vs. anyone but the D II school would be a blowout beyond imagination and a complete waste of time.

I believe they had games like that up until the mid 60's. The College All Star game. Graduated seniors would play an NFL Team in Soldier Field Chicago just before the regular NFL season began. Most fo the college players were already on NFL teams as rookies. So while it wasnt a championship FBS team -the players did come from powerhouse schools of the time.

Eyes of Old Main
January 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
...not bad for a small school in the mountains of NC no one had heard of :D

xrolleyesx

KiddBrewer
January 24th, 2008, 11:04 PM
dangit i wanna go to baton rouge, make it happen charlie!

UNHWildCats
January 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Most people have that on their schedules if they're FBS.
most fcs schools as well. it's because its the 2008/09 or 2009/10 school year, but I cant stand that.

brownbear
January 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I believe they had games like that up until the mid 60's. The College All Star game. Graduated seniors would play an NFL Team in Soldier Field Chicago just before the regular NFL season began. Most fo the college players were already on NFL teams as rookies. So while it wasnt a championship FBS team -the players did come from powerhouse schools of the time.

The difference between the Chicago All-Star game and Touchdown Yosef's idea is that the Chicago game matched up the college all-star team against the Super Bowl champions instead of the worst team. A matchup against the worst team would make a very good matchup. Occasionally the college team would beat the NFL Champ, but a game against the worst team (whose coach would probably have been fired by that point, so the team will have given up by then) would be much closer.

T-Dog
January 25th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Word on the ASU boards is that an announcement will be made soon by LSU about their 9/13 game, which will be at Baton Rouge.

bluehenbillk
January 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM
LSU definitely has an open game on their schedule so yea it could very well happen.

bench
January 25th, 2008, 09:23 AM
The way I heard it was this is an ESPN thing - they want the game played this upcoming season rather than in '09 so they can sell it as a matchup of national champions.

LehighFan11
January 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
That would be amazing to see a FCS v FBS game be televised on national tv. How far we have come!

AshevilleApp2
January 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Well, now that you've established your track record with FBS powerhouses, anything less than a convincing victory would be underachieving.xnodx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
January 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
The way I heard it was this is an ESPN thing - they want the game played this upcoming season rather than in '09 so they can sell it as a matchup of national champions.
This is the best FCS/FBS matchup LSU can hope for, especially since they've increased their ticket prices. I would love to see the Tigers go down in Deaf Valley. xlolx

mountaineertider
January 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM
There's this distinct smell...especially if Charlie makes this happen...it smells like..like a.... ROAD TRIP!

Appinator
January 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM
When I first heard of this I thought there would be no way that LSU could overlook us, but with the September 13th date, it could happen. They could be comming off a big win at N. Texas to open the season, a tougher than usual Troy team and then us. While the game after the Sep. 13th date is Auburn.

Maybe this isn't such a bad match-up

LehighFan11
January 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Could somebody refresh my memory, ASU plays JMU before this right? So they should get the rust off. Also, LSU will have their rust off so its less likely they will get beat. Most big upsets happen within the first week or two.

biggie
January 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Could somebody refresh my memory, ASU plays JMU before this right? So they should get the rust off. Also, LSU will have their rust off so its less likely they will get beat. Most big upsets happen within the first week or two.
JMU game was moved to later in the year.

Edit: Sept 20th actually. But if the LSU game is Sept 13th we should have 1-2 games before that anyway.

appstate38
January 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Looking at the brighter side of this possible matchup.... At least it would get the Griz off of our backs about our perceived weak OOC schedule. Hopefully Charlie can nail this one down.

bench
January 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM

You're right - it would be better for App if this was the first game of the season. They very easily could be be going into Death Valley with a loss already, and LSU will have had a couple games to get into a rhythm.

I'll be honest - I thought App could play with Michigan for a little while, and I thought they'd make a more than respectable showing, but I didn't really think they would win in the end. Happily, I was wrong.

If this game happens, I'm going to limit my expectations to what I had for the Michigan game. LSU is losing a lot (I'm really, really glad Dorsey is gone), but they've got more talent nationally than anyone except maybe USC. A good showing and a good trip is all I can hope for, besides not nearly losing a body part before the game like I did before the Michigan game.

PREVIEW EDIT: They moved the JMU game? When is it now?

mcveyrl
January 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
JMU-App is Sep. 20

813Jag
January 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
You're right - it would be better for App if this was the first game of the season. They very easily could be be going into Death Valley with a loss already, and LSU will have had a couple games to get into a rhythm.

I'll be honest - I thought App could play with Michigan for a little while, and I thought they'd make a more than respectable showing, but I didn't really think they would win in the end. Happily, I was wrong.

If this game happens, I'm going to limit my expectations to what I had for the Michigan game. LSU is losing a lot (I'm really, really glad Dorsey is gone), but they've got more talent nationally than anyone except maybe USC. A good showing and a good trip is all I can hope for, besides not nearly losing a body part before the game like I did before the Michigan game.

PREVIEW EDIT: They moved the JMU game? When is it now?
The one thing that could help you guys is that LSU is losing most of their secondary and linebackers. Dorsey was great but he was hurt most of the year.

justsaying
January 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I have an idea who App State will play their first game, it is already set, I can tell you it is not LSU, but I will wait until the schools announce their schedule first because, really nothing is set in stone until the schedules come out...

bench
January 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
The one thing that could help you guys is that LSU is losing most of their secondary and linebackers. Dorsey was great but he was hurt most of the year.

They're losing four defensive linemen including Dorsey, two corners and Steltz at safety, plus three linebackers. I don't know if all of these seniors were starters, and I'm sure they have comparable players stepping up, but a less seasoned defense against the spread would give us a puncher's chance. We've seen how the spread can be a great equalizer against superior talent.

Losing Flynn, Doucet and Hester isn't as much of a benefit. Perrilloux will step right into the QB job without missing a beat, and LSU looks like they're very deep at WR and RB.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm really looking forward to this one. Hope it actually comes off as rumored.

Appinator
January 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM

List of Graduating Seniors:

Starters in bold

Name Pos. Anticipated Graduation Date
Will Arnold OG Fall, 2007
Donnie Chaucer DB Summer, 2008
Mit Cole TE Fall, 2007
Andrew Decker OL Fall, 2008
Glenn Dorsey DT Summer, 2008
Early Doucet WR Spring, 2008
Patrick Fisher P Fall, 2007
Matt Flynn QB Fall, 2007
Sean Gaudet PK Spring, 2008
Jacob Hester RB Summer, 2008
Ali Highsmith LB Fall, 2007
Chevis Jackson DB Spring, 2008
Shawn Jordan FB Graduated – Spring, 2007
Cole Louviere OL Summer, 2008
Josh McManus WR Fall, 2007
Jacob O'Hair SNP Summer, 2008
Kirston Pittman DE Fall, 2007
Luke Sanders LB Spring, 2008
Robert Smith OL Spring, 2008
Craig Steltz S Spring, 2008
Carnell Stewart OL Fall, 2007
Jimmy Welker QB Summer, 2008
Jonathan Zenon DB Fall, 2007
Anthony Zehyoue DL Graduated – Spring, 2007
Keith Zinger TE Fall, 2007

Michigan was in the same kind of position when they agreed to play us, losing a lot of their secondary, but not nearly as much of their offense as well. I feel the same way about not saying that we wil walk into their house and lay down the law, I'm just saying....

Touchdown Yosef
January 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I would have preferred the Arkansas rumor turn into a game, but who knows what we can expect.

813Jag
January 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
List of Graduating Seniors:

Starters in bold

Name Pos. Anticipated Graduation Date
Will Arnold OG Fall, 2007
Donnie Chaucer DB Summer, 2008
Mit Cole TE Fall, 2007
Andrew Decker OL Fall, 2008
Glenn Dorsey DT Summer, 2008
Early Doucet WR Spring, 2008
Patrick Fisher P Fall, 2007
Matt Flynn QB Fall, 2007
Sean Gaudet PK Spring, 2008
Jacob Hester RB Summer, 2008
Ali Highsmith LB Fall, 2007
Chevis Jackson DB Spring, 2008
Shawn Jordan FB Graduated – Spring, 2007
Cole Louviere OL Summer, 2008
Josh McManus WR Fall, 2007
Jacob O'Hair SNP Summer, 2008
Kirston Pittman DE Fall, 2007
Luke Sanders LB Spring, 2008
Robert Smith OL Spring, 2008
Craig Steltz S Spring, 2008
Carnell Stewart OL Fall, 2007
Jimmy Welker QB Summer, 2008
Jonathan Zenon DB Fall, 2007
Anthony Zehyoue DL Graduated – Spring, 2007
Keith Zinger TE Fall, 2007

Michigan was in the same kind of position when they agreed to play us, losing a lot of their secondary, but not nearly as much of their offense as well. I feel the same way about not saying that we wil walk into their house and lay down the law, I'm just saying....
If this game happens I will be your biggest non-App fan. I grew up in Baton Rouge and really DISLIKE the Tigers.

Appinator
January 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
If this game happens I will be your biggest non-App fan. I grew up in Baton Rouge and really DISLIKE the Tigers.

The more the merrier!

ASUPATCH
January 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have an idea who App State will play their first game, it is already set, I can tell you it is not LSU, but I will wait until the schools announce their schedule first because, really nothing is set in stone until the schedules come out...

Would you mind PMing me with who you are hearing.

JohnStOnge
January 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM

The good news is that your guys beat Michigan. The bad news, for the immediately future with respect to games your guys play against BCS league schools, is that your guys beat Michigan. It's going to change the focus level.

Appguy
January 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
the biggest issue in this game would be our Run D. their QB Ryan Periloux isn't much of a passer but can scramble with the best of them.

JohnStOnge
January 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
the biggest issue in this game would be our Run D. their QB Ryan Periloux isn't much of a passer but can scramble with the best of them.

Perrilloux had a 175.6 QB rating. He hit 68 percent of his passes, averaged 9.2 yards per attempt, and threw 8 TDs vs. 2 interceptions. They didn't ask him to throw the ball much. But when he did he was, overall, effective.

When they really needed him in the SEC championship game, he was 20 of 30 (66.7 percent) for 243 yards, 1 TD and 1 interception. Not an All American Peformance, but certainly not bad for the first time they had to really rely on him in a big game.

KiddBrewer
January 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
hey guys, we dont have the game yet....

GeauxLions94
January 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM
dangit i wanna go to baton rouge, make it happen charlie!

There's nothing like a Saturday night in ...

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=426&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2448596

ASU
January 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The BCS and FBS would outlaw playing FCS teams if Appalachian beats LSU next year.
Ow how the national press would rant and rave all year.....
FCS would get even more respect. Might even put our National Playoff and Championship games on one of the three major networks....or is it 4 major networks now.

813Jag
January 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Just to echo a couple of posters Periloux can throw the ball, it was his arm that made him a highly regarded recruit. LSU was basically using the Tebow formula for him last season.

Appguy
January 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
yea after lookin at the stats he does seem to be pretty good even though half his stats came from middle tennessee, tennesse has a good defense.

I was just going off every TV game ive seen, when they bring him in all they talk about is defending the option since he can run it so well.

JohnStOnge
January 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
yea after lookin at the stats he does seem to be pretty good even though half his stats came from middle tennessee, tennesse has a good defense.

I was just going off every TV game ive seen, when they bring him in all they talk about is defending the option since he can run it so well.

Yep. Remember, according to many, this guy was the #1 QB recruit in the country when he came out of high school. Take the Middle Tennessee Stats out and he was 31 of 50 (62%) for 396 yards with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception. I don't know how to calculate QB rating but I think that would yield a pretty high one. The big question is if he can stay out of off the field trouble from here on out.

hapapp
January 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Seems we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. This is just a rumor with no source reported. I'm not sure who started it or how it got started but I think we may be setting ourselves up for a letdown. It would be a great spectacle but I'm not going let myself get carried away just yet.

phillyAPP
January 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
There's nothing like a Saturday night in ...

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=426&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2448596

I was there ---- What a night game---- and the fans were great also.

They might not be so nice this time........ I already have my APPbags ready

ALL DAY TAILGATING ---Eating , drinking, watching sportscenter via satillite..... i can't wait

PLEEEEEEEEEAASE make it happen.

lillycafe
January 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I was there ---- What a night game---- and the fans were great also.

They might not be so nice this time........ I already have my APPbags ready

ALL DAY TAILGATING ---Eating , drinking, watching sportscenter via satillite..... i can't wait

PLEEEEEEEEEAASE make it happen.

My stepfather and I were there as well. What a venue and the fans, then, were very nice...except for "TIGER BAIT...TIGER BAIT...TIGER BAIT". It was all in jest, I suppose.

813Jag
January 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
My stepfather and I were there as well. What a venue and the fans, then, were very nice...except for "TIGER BAIT...TIGER BAIT...TIGER BAIT". It was all in jest, I suppose.
It is for teams that aren't rivals. xlolx

KiddBrewer
January 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Seems we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. This is just a rumor with no source reported. I'm not sure who started it or how it got started but I think we may be setting ourselves up for a letdown. It would be a great spectacle but I'm not going let myself get carried away just yet.

i agree. i do hope it happens tho.

Appguy
January 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
WE CAN DREAM lol

ASU_Pads
January 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
This may just be wishful thinking, but I'm not terribly worried about LSU and their new found toy at quarterback. I'm not saying this game won't be a test for Appalachian State, but you have to remember, LSU still has to stop the black and gold on defense. Can a green LSU defense handle such a quick and shifty offense like App State (who's lowest point total this season was 28)? The main reason JMU held ASU to 28 was because they had long methodical drives and played defense on offense. I don't see this LSU team making such long drives, they'll score but much quicker than the Dukes. The Tigers' offense is just built differentely. LSU will score, but they will be stopped too, I expect the same when App has the football. I'm not trying to sound like John Madden, but whoever scores more points wins the game. The gap is closing between FBS and FCS, and as we've seen speed and the option are the ultimate equalizer. I hope this game happens and I hope it will be a thriller.

ASU_Pads
January 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Oh, also I heard rumors that we were going to Wisconsin as our FBS opponent next season. Has anyone else heard that? Is this rumor still floating around? I think we would match up much better against the Badgers than against LSU b/c Wisconsin is your typical Big 10 school. Really big and stong, but REALLY SLOW.

Saint3333
January 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
The following teams have been contacted by ASU and said no thanks: UNC-CH (and paid McNeese 50K more than ASU wanted in return), Georgia Tech, Florida St., and Wisconsin.

I haven't heard anything from the athletic department about any agreement with a FBS program, this is just a rumor nothing more at this point.

msupokes1
January 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
According to the LSU website LSU has filled their Sept 13 hole with LA Tech.

The Moody1
January 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
According to the LSU website LSU has filled their Sept 13 hole with LA Tech.

It still shows TBD on their official web-site. What is your source?

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=27811&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&Q_SEASON=2008

Also, La Tech already has 12 games scheduled per their announcement on Jan 15th.

http://latechsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011508aaa.html

stevdock
January 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
We are also rumored to be in talks with LSU for the same date. Granted we are also rumored to be talking to Illinois and Wisconsin also. I personally hope we don't schedule LSU, because we have bigger things to do next year then go into LSU and knock off just another D1 team.

bamamountaineer1013
January 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
What a dream match-up for an espn story line

msupokes1
January 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/2008%20Schedules/08sec.html

The Moody1
January 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Since La Tech just announced a 12 game schedule that does not include this game, I think this site probably has it wrong. Either way, we will know something pretty soon.

bluehenbillk
January 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure that the schedule Phil Steel has posted is LSU's original schedule. I'm pretty sure that they have an open date b/c La. Tech backed out on them due to some BS conference scheduling issue. Penn State had a simillar experience. Thus unless they filled it with someone else other than La Tech it's probably still open.

CopperCat
January 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Wait, so you want to call LSU out on cockiness and you are an ASU fan?xeyebrowx xnonox

nwFL Griz
January 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Yeah, this guys stuff is way outdated. All SEC teams, except LSU of course, have announced their schedules. LSU does indeed have an open date on Sep 13. I have the other SEC schedules if interested.

Appguy
January 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Wait, so you want to call LSU out on cockiness and you are an ASU fan?xeyebrowx xnonox

if you want to use stereotypes shouldn't all you being an MSU guy be in jail from all the drug charges you guys get...

xrolleyesx xnonox xnonox

Seriously though id love to go down to Baton Rouge to this game this year and next, could be a fun trip

Appstate29
January 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM

why shouldn't we, we've won 3 in a row, they only have 2 in 4? years, or 5 years, can't remember exactly.

Peems
January 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
You ASU fans are forgetting that FTG hates App more than the Griz even. If he could I bet he would change his name to FTA xnodx ;)

Fresno St. Alum
January 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
That would be sweet if App St. could do it two years in a row.

Appstate29
January 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM

agreed.

AlphaSigMD
January 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM

I thought that ASU just did it 3 years in a row. xsmiley_wix

813Jag
January 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Looks like this game may not be played. LSU is looking (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/14731467.html) for a home and home with a BCS school.

nwFL Griz
January 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Looks like this game may not be played. LSU is looking (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/14731467.html) for a home and home with a BCS school.

Dang....and you all thought Montana was bad about not going on the road. LSU said they're not going on the road with anybody. That would give them 8 home games! That's just ridiculous.

813Jag
January 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Dang....and you all thought Montana was bad about not going on the road. LSU said they're not going on the road with anybody. That would give them 8 home games! That's just ridiculous.
LSU doesn't travel unless they have to, ususally if they do travel it's for a big matchup. I.E. Virginia Tech or their old series with Texas A&M.

LehighFan11
January 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Well wouldn't take favor app st? They aren't going to do a home and home with app st. But, most BCS schools will look for a home and home so LSU might have to settle with one game with App St. 8 home games is a joke though.

813Jag
January 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Well wouldn't take favor app st? They aren't going to do a home and home with app st. But, most BCS schools will look for a home and home so LSU might have to settle with one game with App St. 8 home games is a joke though.
I don't think they'll get it but LSU wants a home and home with the first game being at home. There's always a chance that this game will still be played.

nwFL Griz
January 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think they'll get it but LSU wants a home and home with the first game being at home. There's always a chance that this game will still be played.

The article mentions they were looking for a 2-for-1.

813Jag
January 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The article mentions they were looking for a 2-for-1.
That's for a game in the Houston area, they're interested in playing in Reliant Stadium. But I don't think that's for this season.

nwFL Griz
January 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM
That's for a game in the Houston area, they're interested in playing in Reliant Stadium. But I don't think that's for this season.

You're right, my bad, I read it wrong. Well, looking at my schedules, BCS conference teams with openings on Sep 13 are:

Boston College
Georgia Tech
NC State
Va Tech

Louisville
Rutgers

Indiana

ERASU2113
January 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Oh, also I heard rumors that we were going to Wisconsin as our FBS opponent next season. Has anyone else heard that? Is this rumor still floating around? I think we would match up much better against the Badgers than against LSU b/c Wisconsin is your typical Big 10 school. Really big and stong, but REALLY SLOW.

I just thought about it and there is an ASU/Wisconsin connection.

John Settle who had the career rushing mark, before being topped by K-Rich, is the running backs coach at UDub.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/fb/bios/bio.html?staffid=778

JohnStOnge
January 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM

They net more than $2 million when they play a home game. At least that was the case when I talked to someone from their athletic department prior to the 2003 season. I actually talked to someone from their athletic department business office once and was told they make a lot more money playing two home games with teams like Western Illinois and Appalachian State than they do playing a home and home with somebody like Virginia Tech.

When it comes to finances, the best scenario for them is to never have to play an away game out of conference.

Keeper
January 30th, 2008, 04:28 AM
You're right, my bad, I read it wrong. Well, looking at my schedules, BCS conference teams with openings on Sep 13 are:

Boston College
Georgia Tech
NC State
Va Tech

Louisville
Rutgers

Indiana

You can scratch BC & Indiana, their slates are full.
Texas Tech is possible if they can get a game moved.

nwFL Griz
January 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Really? Do you have a link you could provide showing BC and Indiana having a full slate?

Keeper
January 31st, 2008, 04:13 AM
Really? Do you have a link you could provide showing BC and Indiana having a full slate?

I like this site, and historically accurate too>

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2008_schedules/index.htm

Try it out.

Thunderstruck84
January 31st, 2008, 09:01 AM
And those schools are all already playing an FCS game, I think Florida State is doing it this year but I beleive it's very rare for an FBS team to schedule more than 1 non-FBS opponent since only 1 non-FBS win can count towards their bowl minimum 6 wins.

BC - Rhode Island
Georgia Tech - Jacksonville State
NC State - William & Mary
Virginia Tech - Furman
Louisville - Tennessee Tech
Rutgers - Howard
Texas Tech - UMass

nwFL Griz
January 31st, 2008, 09:04 AM
I like this site, and historically accurate too>

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2008_schedules/index.htm

Try it out.

Historically accurate? Hardly. Having tracked the FBS schedules the last few years, I can say, categorically, that their site is lacking, at best.

JohnStOnge
January 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
I just saw a post on the McNeese Delphi board saying that North Texas has pulled out of its 8/30 game at LSU. How would that affect this conversation?

KiddBrewer
January 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
I just saw a post on the McNeese Delphi board saying that North Texas has pulled out of its 8/30 game at LSU. How would that affect this conversation?

i believe we are scheduled for GWebb that week already....but im sure they would be willing to change it to another date for a little moola.xrolleyesx xrotatehx