PDA

View Full Version : UCA Announces 3 SLC Foes for 2006

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2005, 07:21 AM
"UCA Athletic Director Vance Strange announced that Southland members Nicholls State, Texas State and Northwest Louisiana have already agreed to football match-ups with UCA next fall."

One of the fellas from UCA shared this with me. Nice mix. Two Louisiana schools and one Texas school. Best of luck to UCA!

JoshUCA
September 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks...we'll need it!

catamount man
September 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Welcome to I-AA! I hope someday Western Carolina and Central Arkansas can meet on the football field. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Bear Fan 101
September 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Name smack starts early! :p

yeah we arent wasting anytime getting our arses handed to us, apparently he said it that way to fire them up because otherwise, they wouldn't have a clue who we are! :D

Our AD is a stickler for details, can't ya tell :rolleyes:

Bear Fan 101
September 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Welcome to I-AA! I hope someday Western Carolina and Central Arkansas can meet on the football field. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hey thanks Catamount. I would like that trip to Western Carolina, our W-L wouldn't but after living in Durham for a couple years ago, and being familiar with the West Carolina area as a whole I wouldn't mind a trip to visit again.

GeauxLions94
September 21st, 2005, 02:35 PM
"UCA Athletic Director Vance Strange announced that Southland members Nicholls State, Texas State and Northwest Louisiana have already agreed to football match-ups with UCA next fall."

One of the fellas from UCA shared this with me. Nice mix. Two Louisiana schools and one Texas school. Best of luck to UCA!

Northwest Louisiana :confused: Where are they :bang:

Dallas Demon
September 21st, 2005, 11:59 PM
Northwest Louisiana :confused: Where are they :bang:

The opposite end of the state from Southeast St. ;)

89Hen
September 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
"Northwest Louisiana"

Name smack starts early! :p
I was thinking the same thing. Must be a Southland thing.

arkstfan
September 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
"Northwest Louisiana"

I was thinking the same thing. Must be a Southland thing.

Nah its a Louisiana thing. Go to a Louisiana Lafayette board and call them ULL or UL-Lafayette, or do like the University of New Orleans PA announcer and call them Oh-La-La.

Louisiana Monroe is a little touchy too but not quite as bad (but then their fans are just so down right now that they don't care).

89Hen
September 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
I was referring to all the smack talk regarding Texas State (aka TSU-SM, but don't ever call them that).

BEAR
September 22nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
I don't know much about the Southland and who is the traditional powerhouses in DI-AA, but I am glad to see so many friendly fans on this site. :nod: I can't wait to take those road trips to check out all the schools and areas they are located in. This is gonna be fun! ;)

Dallas Demon
September 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Nah its a Louisiana thing. Go to a Louisiana Lafayette board and call them ULL or UL-Lafayette, or do like the University of New Orleans PA announcer and call them Oh-La-La.

Louisiana Monroe is a little touchy too but not quite as bad (but then their fans are just so down right now that they don't care).

I actually don't mind the "Northwest Louisiana" or "Northwestern Louisiana" name. I wish we would change our name to actually reflect where we were vs. people sometimes having to guess.

With regards to Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafayette, they continually jockey over just being called "The University of Louisiana". The fans are more interested in seeing if the media calls them "Louisiana" without the city name behind it. It's silly. Northwestern has 2,000 more students than Monroe. Lafayette is a bit more established, but when it comes down to it there is NO flagship school in the University of Louisiana System and Northwestern has just as much a right to be called the University of Louisiana as does Monroe or Lafayette.

The thought in Lafayette is that if the name sticks (they originally came up with it), then next they'll be considered the flagship school in the University of Louisiana System. The politics in Louisiana are so skewed towards LSU that being called "The University of Louisiana" will never, ever, happen regardless of the school. Lafayette tried that originally in 1984, and the state legislature came up with a law to stop it quickly.

LSU is the only flagship school in the state, and it is part of the LSU System (different funds, etc.).

89Hen
September 22nd, 2005, 04:47 PM
LSU is the only flagship school in the state, and it is part of the LSU System (different funds, etc.).
Not to get completely sidetracked, but what other schools are in the LSU system (I always get the California ones mixed up too)?

89Hen
September 22nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Way to go Bear! :beerchug:

Dallas Demon
September 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Not to get completely sidetracked, but what other schools are in the LSU system (I always get the California ones mixed up too)?

The LSU System consists of LSU - Baton Rouge, University of New Orleans, LSU - Shreveport, LSU - Alexandria, LSU - Eunice (2 year school), and several other research centers/medical centers.

See http://www.lsusystem.lsu.edu/institutions.html for details if interested.

NOTE: The University of Louisiana System is actually larger than the LSU System and includes Northwestern State, McNeese St., Southeastern, Nicholls State, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, and Grambling State.

http://www.uls.state.la.us/

There is one more University System in the State of Louisiana - Southern. That includes Southern - Baton Rouge, Southern - New Orleans, and Southern Shreveport.