PDA

View Full Version : David (ODU) vs Goliath (W&M) in '09 and '10

Monarch History
January 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Here's an interesting article regarding ODU's second opponent (W&M) in '09. I think we will need a lot more than a sling shot to stay with an experienced W&M squad. xlolx

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/fledgling-odu-programs-2nd-game-doozy-wm

gmoney55
January 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
I think this the first time anyone has referred to William & Mary as "Goliath"

Seahawks Fan
January 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think this the first time anyone has referred to William & Mary as "Goliath"

xlolx xlolx xlolx I was thinking the same thing.

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
That's a local paper - you would've assumed they would have been familiar with W&M post-2004 and come up with a different analogy. (j/k W&M posters!! xlolx xlolx )

Monarch Nation
January 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Here's an interesting article regarding ODU's second opponent (W&M) in '09. I think we will need a lot more than a sling shot to stay with an experienced W&M squad. xlolx

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/fledgling-odu-programs-2nd-game-doozy-wm

More like a trebuchet and a bolder. xlolx

henfan
January 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
This is going to be a great rivalry. Those early games might not be competitive, but ODU should catch up with CAA competition in fairly short order.xthumbsupx

Looking forward to the first games between the Monarchs & Hens.

Eight Legger
January 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
W&M has been a goliath of sorts in the not-too-distant past. Classic playoff game at Zable against JMU in 2004. There was a stretch there where you pretty much expected them to make the playoffs every year. Things have been slim lately, but I would expect them to bounce back before long.

Seawolf97
January 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
This has to be an exciting time for ODU fans watching all the pieces starting to fall into place for their program . Im sure we will hear alot about the Monarchs in the futurexthumbsupx

Monarch History
January 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
This has to be an exciting time for ODU fans watching all the pieces starting to fall into place for their program . Im sure we will hear alot about the Monarchs in the futurexthumbsupx

AMEN! xnodx xnodx xnodx

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
W&M has been a goliath of sorts in the not-too-distant past. Classic playoff game at Zable against JMU in 2004. There was a stretch there where you pretty much expected them to make the playoffs every year. Things have been slim lately, but I would expect them to bounce back before long.

Not to knock W&M, a program that I really do like, but "...make the playoffs every year"? They've made the playoffs 7 total times in a little more than 20 some years ('86, '89, '90, '93, '96, '01, and '04) - not a bad history, but not as great as you're making it out to be. W&M, though, has normally been good at avoiding the really bad season - '05, '06 and '07 have been the first 3 year sub .500 consecutive seasons I think ever for Laycock.

Eight Legger
January 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Not to knock W&M, a program that I really do like, but "...make the playoffs every year"? They've made the playoffs 7 total times in a little more than 20 some years ('86, '89, '90, '93, '96, '01, and '04) - not a bad history, but not as great as you're making it out to be. W&M, though, has normally been good at avoiding the really bad season - '05, '06 and '07 have been the first 3 year sub .500 consecutive seasons I think ever for Laycock.

Well I didn't mean they were a great powerhouse, but when I was in school at Richmond (mid 90s), at the start of most seasons, W&M was the team to beat. Obviously they didn't make it every year, but they had solid teams that were expected to do well. I guess that was my point.

GannonFan
January 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Well I didn't mean they were a great powerhouse, but when I was in school at Richmond (mid 90s), at the start of most seasons, W&M was the team to beat. Obviously they didn't make it every year, but they had solid teams that were expected to do well. I guess that was my point.

Agreed - even if they didn't make the playoffs, they seemed to always be no worse than 7-4.