PDA

View Full Version : Kent State QB/WR Transfers to Gardner-Webb

OLDLCOACH111
January 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Has anyone heard of this guy as a prep or in college?, seems like he would be a good athlete to try at either QB or Wide Receiver even though the article say he will play wideout for the Bulldogs..

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=%22darren+rogers%22+jack+of+all+trades&u=www.timesonline.com/articles/2007/12/24/sports/college/doc4768a8f2705e0868749075.txt&w=%22darren+rogers%22+jack+trades&d=SIZezbXiQGy2&icp=1&.intl=us

Eyes of Old Main
January 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Another fine addition for the FCS's bellweather of class and integrity. xrolleyesx

Thumper250
January 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
From all reports on campus Rogers is a great kid and a top notch student. Good addition.

I-AA Fan
January 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
I always get a chuckle out of those that insult MAC schools ..especially when the conference has put QB's like Cribbs, Anderson, Frye, and Rothlisberger into the NFL in recent years ...two of those from Kent. Also, other things being equal, most any of your players would choose to play for a MAC school over yours ...if they had a choice. I see it every year. It might also interest you to know that historically, Kent puts more players into the NFL than any other school in the conference. Sometimes our I-AA/FCS ties are too tight.

OLDLCOACH111
January 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I always get a chuckle out of those that insult MAC schools ..especially when the conference has put QB's like Cribbs, Anderson, Frye, and Rothlisberger into the NFL in recent years ...two of those from Kent. Also, other things being equal, most any of your players would choose to play for a MAC school over yours ...if they had a choice. I see it every year. It might also interest you to know that historically, Kent puts more players into the NFL than any other school in the conference. Sometimes our I-AA/FCS ties are too tight.xthumbsupx

I appreciate the good info 1AA fan, some people like to bash different programs and athletes just to downgrade their accomplishments or steps in the right directions. I feel that some of the recruiting needs for Gardner Webb next season are both a mobile quarterback, and A wide receiver who can play right away, And with this transfer, they will be able to try him at both positions.

JohnStOnge
January 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
I always get a chuckle out of those that insult MAC schools ..especially when the conference has put QB's like Cribbs, Anderson, Frye, and Rothlisberger into the NFL in recent years ...two of those from Kent. Also, other things being equal, most any of your players would choose to play for a MAC school over yours ...if they had a choice. I see it every year. It might also interest you to know that historically, Kent puts more players into the NFL than any other school in the conference. Sometimes our I-AA/FCS ties are too tight.

This guy might be a good player but, let's face it, it's the second worst FBS football league and the only reason it isn't the worst is because of the birth of the Sun Belt. It's pretty close to a FCS league in caliber...certainly closer to FCS in caliber than it is to any BCS leauge.

I think you're right about recruits normally choosing a MAC school over a FCS school most of the time. That's to be expected because of ego. They want to say they're FBS players. But what you're mostly talking about, as is the case with the Sun Belt, is FCS caliber recruits that have a place to go to in FBS because conferences like the MAC and Sun Belt exist.

In the FBS context, it is a pathetic league. People focus on the wins they have in nonconference competition but if you look at all the games...the percentage of wins they have against other I-A and now FBS leagues in interconference play...it's awful. And this past year it actually came out BEHIND the Sun Belt in the Sagarin Conference strength ratings. Also in the ARGH conference strength ratings as http://members.aol.com/swhuck/currate.html .

justsaying
January 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
I dug up a little info on the transfer,

Signed to Kent State as a QB, Smart Kid, 2 star Athlete carried a 3.76 GPA in high school, runs a 4.5 forty, 4.4 shuttle, had offers from Kent State, Richmond, New Hampshire, and Bowling Green

Also.. Choose to Transfer To GW over Delaware State, Chattanooga, and Youngstown State

D1scout
January 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM

I-AA, I think you're right about many FCS fans viewing all MAC Football Programs in the same light as FCS teams. But, it is, nevertheless, more accurate for some such as Kent State, Ohio U, Buffalo, and now Temple to be thought of in this manner. First of all, the records of these forementined programs against SOLID FCS teams in the past isn't exactly stellar. Secondly, if you exaime the strength of the schedules of these schools and compare it to the Gateway or CAA Conferences, it is obvious that these particular teams won't do much, if any, better in their conference races in these conferences than they do in the MAC. Kent has been consistently bested by the likes of Youngstown State and wouldn't IMHO be able to hold their own in a regular series against the likes of Northern Iowa, Southern Illonis, and Western Illinois. The same would be true in the CAA with the likes of James Madison, Deleware, Richmond, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, or Villanova. Again, consistently SOLID FCS prgrams.
Finally, I think you are correct in you assumption that, due to ego, most players do chose a FBS program over even an outstanding FCS program. Those players I have interviewed figured that even if the program they select is an extremely poor one, they will still have more opportunity to demonstrate their abilities against much stronger competition than with most FCS schedules. So, while teams like Kent State are getting their heads handed to them on national TV, it is preceived by most players to be better than playing before an average of 6000 to 12000 spectators on a high school like field that most people don't know even exists and in their minds against much lesser athletic ability players. Keep in mind, when kids select their FBS program most of them believe that are on their way to the NFL. They believe the FBS prgrams give them the best chance to get there. I don't agree with this, if we exaime such programs as Delaware, App State, or Montana, but it seems that's the way it is viewed. I would, personally, much rather play for a program like App State, Deleware, Southen Illinois, Montana, Youngstown State, Massachusetts, etc.. than a poor FBC team like Kent State or Temple. I truly believe in this day and age of video and exposure if you are good enough they will find you.:)

MR. CHICKEN
January 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM
C'MON.......TRANSFERS AIN'T FAIR............;)....BRAWK!

justsaying
January 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Found A little highlight tape on Rogers

Kent State
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5O14yJrU1z4

High School

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vgbShFCUHnA&feature=related

Thumper250
January 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
G-W also just added lineman Blake Peterson of Charlotte Butler according to the Charlotte Observer's website. 6'3, 260. All-Conference.

OLDLCOACH111
January 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Rumors are they landed 2 star athletes out of NC

Harrison Martin

http://hsnorthcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=404&p=8&c=1&nid=3077477

Jordan Woods

http://hsnorthcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=404&p=8&c=1&nid=3149882

OLDLCOACH111
January 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Found A little highlight tape on Rogers

Kent State
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5O14yJrU1z4

High School

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vgbShFCUHnA&feature=related

Looks to me like a great pick-up regardless of where he is fromxthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
January 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
But, it is, nevertheless, more accurate for some such as Kent State, Ohio U, Buffalo, and now Temple to be thought of in this manner. First of all, the records of these forementined programs against SOLID FCS teams in the past isn't exactly stellar.

Does the I-AA/FCS team you root for have any better record against "SOLID FBS teams"? I guarantee you the answer is 'no', and do not even know what your favorite I-AA team is. Try being Youngstown, with Akron and Kent 30-minutes away, then you will see things in an entirely new perspective. I watched YSU lose to Kent & win the I-AA national title in the same year. I see YSU lose quality prep prospects to MAC schools on a regular basis. Kent State has branch right outside the city of Youngstown and more local families send their kids to Kent than YSU.

These are IA programs & will always attract any player over a I-AA school. The only reason you do not see notice this is because IA MM's are not close enough in proximity to you to see the local prep players chose them over your favorite team. You fans from New England, Dakotas, Montana and few states do not realize what it is like. The Hen's and the Grizzlies are at the 'top of the recruiting heap' in your less populated states. A school like YSU has to compete with schools that are larger in their state

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Miami
Ohio
Bowling Green
Toledo
Akron
Kent

Also, within a very short drive you have:

Pitt
Penn State
Michigan
Marshall
Ball State
E. Michigan
Central Michigan

So, there is an entirely different pecking order. Where your programs might be #2 for local recruits (those that do not go to big schools) ...even #1 in some cases. YSU is almost always going to be the 3rd-tier, as those that do not make the big schools, are going to have these IA mid-majors to chose from, before they get to a school like YSU. So believe me when I tell you, they almost always choose the IA program out of High school. The reason they do so is irrelevant. This particular recruit most likely chose GW,as he stood a chance to win the QB job. He already knows his future is not football, as do most IA players when they transfer to I-AA/FCS.

Then there is the little matter of how much state money remains by the time the funds work their way down the list of DI schools in your respective states, but we can save that for another thread.

DetroitFlyer
January 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Does the I-AA/FCS team you root for have any better record against "SOLID FBS teams"? I guarantee you the answer is 'no', and do not even know what your favorite I-AA team is. Try being Youngstown, with Akron and Kent 30-minutes away, then you will see things in an entirely new perspective. I watched YSU lose to Kent & win the I-AA national title in the same year. I see YSU lose quality prep prospects to MAC schools on a regular basis. Kent State has branch right outside the city of Youngstown and more local families send their kids to Kent than YSU.

These are IA programs & will always attract any player over a I-AA school. The only reason you do not see notice this is because IA MM's are not close enough in proximity to you to see the local prep players chose them over your favorite team. You fans from New England, Dakotas, Montana and few states do not realize what it is like. The Hen's and the Grizzlies are at the 'top of the recruiting heap' in your less populated states. A school like YSU has to compete with schools that are larger in their state

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Miami
Ohio
Bowling Green
Toledo
Akron
Kent

Also, within a very short drive you have:

Pitt
Penn State
Michigan
Marshall
Ball State
E. Michigan
Central Michigan

So, there is an entirely different pecking order. Where your programs might be #2 for local recruits (those that do not go to big schools) ...even #1 in some cases. YSU is almost always going to be the 3rd-tier, as those that do not make the big schools, are going to have these IA mid-majors to chose from, before they get to a school like YSU. So believe me when I tell you, they almost always choose the IA program out of High school. The reason they do so is irrelevant. This particular recruit most likely chose GW,as he stood a chance to win the QB job. He already knows his future is not football, as do most IA players when they transfer to I-AA/FCS.

Then there is the little matter of how much state money remains by the time the funds work their way down the list of DI schools in your respective states, but we can save that for another thread.

Try recruiting at Dayton....

GannonFan
January 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Dude, that's just a weird position to take. It's not like Delaware is a hotbed of high school talent - maybe 2-3 guys a year may go play FBS ball, if that, and not that many more play FCS level. I don't know about Montana, but to think UD has an advantage because they have an inside track to the in-state talent is just crazy. What in-state talent??? Oh, and there are plenty of close teams for schools on the East Coast, and I'm sure New England. Again, there may be less competition out West but there's plenty of teams and competition in the Northeast corridor.

I-AA Fan
January 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Dude, that's just a weird position to take. It's not like Delaware is a hotbed of high school talent - maybe 2-3 guys a year may go play FBS ball, if that, and not that many more play FCS level. I don't know about Montana, but to think UD has an advantage because they have an inside track to the in-state talent is just crazy. What in-state talent??? Oh, and there are plenty of close teams for schools on the East Coast, and I'm sure New England. Again, there may be less competition out West but there's plenty of teams and competition in the Northeast corridor.

It is not a "weird position to take". My apologies, as I did not want to make it sound like a sympathy fest for YSU, I just used them as I am familiar and they are the closest I-AA/FCS school to Kent State. Yes, the greater Youngstown area (which includes Kent) is part of a hotbed of prep talent, with hundreds of NE Ohio/Western PA kids going DI every year. However,this is how these mid-major conferences came into existence. The Hens last few QB's have been transfers, what HS's were they from? Transfers ...heck Riccio was from just outside of ytown in Ellwood City. Was Delaware their first choice? No, you are getting them "FBS postmortem", the same as G-W. My point was more to the fact that prep students will always go IA first ...even mid-major IA programs are above ANY I-AA/FCS program ...it is just a fact we all have to live with. This QB transfer is better than most any QB that will go I-AA/FCS straight from high school, and of course, this is why the G-W staff grabbed him up.

As to the fact that certain colleges like Delaware are at an advantage being the largest, or only schools in their state ...clearly you must see this to be the case. Whether you recruit local or not, what I said still applies. Using Kent & YSU again, both schools constantly go after the same prospects. I also mentioned being at the top of the order for government funds, but chose not to move off topic. However, it is no coincidence that that Delaware, NDSU, SDSU, Montana, etc. are consistent performers, and it isn't just coaching.

JohnStOnge
January 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
As to the fact that certain colleges like Delaware are at an advantage being the largest, or only schools in their state ...clearly you must see this to be the case. Whether you recruit local or not, what I said still applies. Using Kent & YSU again, both schools constantly go after the same prospects. I also mentioned being at the top of the order for government funds, but chose not to move off topic. However, it is no coincidence that that Delaware, NDSU, SDSU, Montana, etc. are consistent performers, and it isn't just coaching.

All other things aside...the team that has won the most I-AA/FCS national titles, Georiga Southern, is not the largest or only school in its State. Neither is the team that's won the second most...your own Youngstown State. Neither is the team that's won the third most: Appalachian State. Marshall and Eastern Kentucky are tied for fourth most with Montana; and neither of them are the largest or only schools in their State.

D1scout
January 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I-AA Fan, the point I was attempting to make was that most FCS fans see the likes of YSU, Delaware, App State, UMass, Montana, etc. in the same light as bottom feeders in the MAC like Kent State and Buffalo in quality of athletes and program. Regardless, I still hold that in the Gateway or CAA Kent and Buffalo would not do much better, if any, than they currently have been doing in the MAC. If I were a betting person, in a most recent ten year series, I would place my money on App, Delaware, Montana, Youngstown, UMass, Southern Illinois, and several other programs before I would chose these two programs. But, that's just me.:)