PDA

View Full Version : Temple RB Transfers to JMU

NYJMUSupporter
January 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=14549&CHID=3&sub=

andy7171
January 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Nice pick up for JMU.

How Temple consistantly gets quality recruits is a complete mystery to me. Why they all leave in 1-2 years isn't.

Franks Tanks
January 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Nice pick up for JMU.

How Temple consistantly gets quality recruits is a complete mystery to me. Why they all leave in 1-2 years isn't.

Ya really, it sounds like they must promise everyone they will start as a true freshman or other lies. When the kids realize they were lied to they bolt.

andy7171
January 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Ya really, it sounds like they must promise everyone they will start as a true freshman or other lies. When the kids realize they were lied to they bolt.

...and/or they realize where exactly they are choosing to go to school.

NYJMUSupporter
January 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
We are loaded at RB. It would not surprise me to see some of the guys switch to WR or DB. Next year we will have Holloman back, plus Sullivan, Noble, Yancey, Kerby Long and now the transfer. It will be interesting to see how we manage all of that talent.

Franks Tanks
January 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
...and/or they realize where exactly they are choosing to go to school.

Very true

http://www.jim-frizzell.com/Philadelphia2001/04-18-01/04-19-01jefferson_and_darien_north_philadelphia.jpg

Typical North Philly 'hood--specifically the area known as "The Badlands'

mcveyrl
January 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I like this pick-up, but it makes for an awfully crowded backfield...

Wonder if they'll move somebody to DB or slot WR?

EDIT: NYJMU beat me to it!!

Seahawks Fan
January 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM

Al Golden doesn't lie. He is a class act.

Franks Tanks
January 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
Al Golden doesn't lie. He is a class act.

I dont deny that-he and Lou Benfati are former Penn Staters of my youth, and good guys. Who knows who recruited this kid however, but he seemed pretty adament that he was decieved a bit.

whitey
January 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Nice pick up. Yancey was recruited as a WR if I remember correctly. My guess is he is the first one to switch positions in that crowded backfield.

Monarch History
January 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
He will make a great addition to an already talented JMU team.xnodx

WildCat In The Hat
January 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Million Dollar Question-what's his attitude going to be like if he doesn't start at JMU this year?
Someone needs to let these recruits know that realistically they are not going to be starting their true freshman years-regardless of what coaches tell them in an effort to recruit them. They need to know there are 21-22 year old kids in front of them that have been in the system foe 2-3 years that aren't so eager to give up their spots to 18 year old high school all-stars.
Good luck to the RB and JMU, it just raises a red flag to me that the kid transfers after his first semester at a school because he wasn't the starter.

HENJOHN
January 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Wow, like you guys need more good RB's...........:)

ChickenMan
January 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=14549&CHID=3&sub=

and thought that Delaware was the only FCS team that took transfers... :D

GannonFan
January 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hey, since Holloman is a transfer (JUCO transfer but transfer nonetheless) and now this guy's a transfer, does that mean that JMU is going to have trouble recruiting HS RB's from now on since they've established this "pattern" of going the transfer route for running backs??? xlolx xlolx xlolx xpeacex

AZGrizFan
January 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hey, since Holloman is a transfer (JUCO transfer but transfer nonetheless) and now this guy's a transfer, does that mean that JMU is going to have trouble recruiting HS RB's from now on since they've established this "pattern" of going the transfer route for running backs??? xlolx xlolx xlolx xpeacex

Yep. Just like Montana has established a "pattern" of buying out back ends of home/home deals. xcoolx ;) xcoffeex

ERASU2113
January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

Brainwashed? xcoffeex xwhistlex

mcveyrl
January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

Only if he's as good as Holloman!!

Schools only get their transfers noticed when they're good. It's not a bad problem to have, right??

JMU_Fan_2007
January 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I suspect Mickey Matthews remembers almost running out of running backs this season! Also, Holloman has not yet been granted a medical redshirt. I think they have every reason to expect he will, but it hasn't happened yet.

It says in the DNR article that the JMU coaches promised him he would be allowed to "compete" for the starting job, and that if he didn't work hard, he wouldn't play. Pretty straight forward.

You know, with such a pretty stadium in the plans, you might expect the whole temple football team to request transfers soon! :)

ERASU2113
January 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
So the CAA likes to get the transfers eh? :D

Loaded backfield....have fun with that JMU xwhistlex :D

jmuroller
January 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
He never stepped foot on Temple's campus, so I wouldn't consider that a transfer IMO.

You UD guys have no room to talk about transfers...Acker makes a total of about 4 transfers on the whole team. Delaware took that many last year just on the defensive side of the ball.

JMU-MRD-DAD
January 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
OOOHHH Temple, top of the line.

Regardless of Temple's program, the guy was highly recruited.......sounds like a great pickup for the Dukes.

As mentioned earlier, Yancey was recruited as a receiver and could make the switch.

Go Dukes

rufus
January 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
He never stepped foot on Temple's campus, so I wouldn't consider that a transfer IMO.
Very true. This guy left Temple durring the summer before his freshman year, and then enrolled in classes at Maryland for the fall 2007 semester. While he is technically a transfer, he's a Maryland transfer rather than a Temple transfer, and only in the academic sense. He still has four full years of NCAA elligibility left, so he is sort of an unusual "transfer".

You could also say that he decommitted from Temple, and then signed with JMU a few months later.

ChickenMan
January 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM

You UD guys have no room to talk about transfers...Acker makes a total of about 4 transfers on the whole team. Delaware took that many last year just on the defensive side of the ball.

If your program was as 'attractive' to big-time players as is UD.. maybe you would be able to get a few more... :D

JMU2004
January 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
If your program was as 'attractive' to big-time players as is UD.. maybe you would be able to get a few more... :D

haha....we know that KC recruits transfers....thats just his way. Micky ACCEPTS one or two transfers a year and really recruits high schoolers.. We don't put the word out like UD does.

I don't approve of the way UMass, and to a lesser extent UD, bring in so many transfers. But I don't blame them, and you can't argue with the results. However, what happens if the Flaccos, Agnones, Bradleys, and Talleys don't transfer in? You can't always depend on transfers to plug your recuiting failures....... just my 2 cents.

Tribe4SF
January 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
haha....we know that KC recruits transfers....thats just his way. Micky ACCEPTS one or two transfers a year and really recruits high schoolers.. We don't put the word out like UD does.

I don't approve of the way UMass, and to a lesser extent UD, bring in so many transfers. But I don't blame them, and you can't argue with the results. However, what happens if the Flaccos, Agnones, Bradleys, and Talleys don't transfer in? You can't always depend on transfers to plug your recuiting failures....... just my 2 cents.

The pipeline for transfers has grown wider over the past few years, and there's no reason to think that UMass and UD won't continue to have success attracting them. How successful transfers will be is always open to question, but, as you say, you can't argue with the outcomes these two programs have had. Schoenhoeft certainly looks to be the missing ingredient for UD going into next year. Delaware is clearly committed to transfer QBs, and that is bound to impact their image with better HS QBs.

Don't forget that JMU had its greatest success with a transfer QB.

JMU2004
January 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Don't forget that JMU had its greatest success with a transfer QB.

I never will....he was an excellent addition

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I never will....he was an excellent addition

As was Apted, and Holloman, and Barnowksy, and Baird, and... :D

ChickenMan
January 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I never understood the bashing of schools who play by the rules and take 'qualified' FBS transfers. If those same schools get a qualified and highly rated player directly out of high school.. it is widely praised and consider a great coup.. but if that school gets an even higher rated and qualified player from a big-time FBS program.. they are regulary criticized for accepting a dreaded transfer. It seems to me that the real issue for most of the transfer detractors is the fact that their school is either unwilling or in most cases.. UNABLE to attract these quality FBS transfers and you can bet that if they could.. their 'transfer' issue would no longer be an issue.

WildCat In The Hat
January 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I think there are people out there (me being one) that appreciate the fact that there coach (and university) give the young players a chance to develop into succesful student athletes. Coaches ask these high school kids, when they are recruiting them, to believe in (and trust) the coaching staff and school-is it wrong for the kids to expect the same thing. It is great for the fans when the transfer route works out for the program-but on the opposite side of that there are kids that are not getting their fair shot. It looks like this is the going to be the case with Jared Bradley and from what I recall their was a bad situation with Dan Connors brother. I forget the exact details, but if I remember correctly he was a QB that Keeler decided wasn't good enough for the team, and tried to get him to give up his scholly and then ended blowing a year of the kids eligibility any way at the end of the season. I could be mistaken about that-but I do recall something along those lines.

ChickenMan
January 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I forget the exact details, but if I remember correctly he was a QB that Keeler decided wasn't good enough for the team, and tried to get him to give up his scholly and then ended blowing a year of the kids eligibility any way at the end of the season. I could be mistaken about that-but I do recall something along those lines.

The cold hard fact is that Dan Connor's bother.. Mike Connor WASN'T good enough.. he transfered to Lehigh and was never a factor in the LU QB equation.

ChickenMan
January 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
I think there are people out there (me being one) that appreciate the fact that there coach (and university) give the young players a chance to develop into succesful student athletes. Coaches ask these high school kids, when they are recruiting them, to believe in (and trust) the coaching staff and school-is it wrong for the kids to expect the same thing. It is great for the fans when the transfer route works out for the program-but on the opposite side of that there are kids that are not getting their fair shot.

If a high school recruit is good enough.. he will get more than a fair shot.. if he isn't.. he will be surpassed by new high school recruits or.... transfers.

JMU2004
January 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
As was Apted, and Holloman, and Barnowksy, and Baird, and... :D

Yep....we too those transfers over the last 3 years. UD took that many(if not more) last year alone

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yep....we too those transfers over the last 3 years. UD took that many(if not more) last year alone

Hey, let's not cut hairs here. JMU has something like 5-6 transfers on their roster, UD has about 9-11, and UMass typically has close to 20. I know JMU folks like to think they don't take transfers (W&M would be a good example of that - they might have 0-2 transfers on their roster), but they aren't far behind in that regard. However, ain't anything wrong with that. ;)

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think there are people out there (me being one) that appreciate the fact that there coach (and university) give the young players a chance to develop into succesful student athletes. Coaches ask these high school kids, when they are recruiting them, to believe in (and trust) the coaching staff and school-is it wrong for the kids to expect the same thing. It is great for the fans when the transfer route works out for the program-but on the opposite side of that there are kids that are not getting their fair shot. It looks like this is the going to be the case with Jared Bradley and from what I recall their was a bad situation with Dan Connors brother. I forget the exact details, but if I remember correctly he was a QB that Keeler decided wasn't good enough for the team, and tried to get him to give up his scholly and then ended blowing a year of the kids eligibility any way at the end of the season. I could be mistaken about that-but I do recall something along those lines.

Connor's situation was one where the student athlete gets caught up in a coaching change. Connor was signed by Tubby and was a Wing-T QB (he ran the Wing-T in high school too at Strath Haven). Tubby was forced to play him as a true freshman late in his first year because the QB cupboard was bare and the senior QB at the time was awful. Tubby retired after that year, and KC came in and wanted to change the offense from the Wing-T to a spread offense. Connor was not going to work in that offense as he didn't have the arm strength or accuracy to be a QB in that system. Keeler brought in Andy Hall, and he was the starter that year. Hall got hurt and missed the last game of the year, and Keeler gave Connor the option of playing the last game or preserving his redshirt. Connor elected to play the game and did alright. But it was Connor's decision to play that game and used the eligibility. He then decided in the off season to transfer, and he went to Lehigh, where ChickenMan is correct and he was never able to dent the QB hierarchy there. Basically, Connor got screwed because of the coaching/offensive system change - happens quite often when a new coach takes over.

henfan
January 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
...from what I recall their was a bad situation with Dan Connors brother. I forget the exact details, but if I remember correctly he was a QB that Keeler decided wasn't good enough for the team, and tried to get him to give up his scholly and then ended blowing a year of the kids eligibility any way at the end of the season. I could be mistaken about that-but I do recall something along those lines.

Unfortunately, your memory of the situation is not at all accurate.

Mike Connor's redshirt was burned in 2001 by Tubby Raymond, who recruited him. Because of poor/unfortunate recruiting decisions, players backing out and injuries, Connor was the last man left standing at the QB position in 2001. Raymond didn't have much choice but to play Connor for the last 2 games of the '01 season.

Keeler arrived the following year, after Tubby's retirement, and honestly told Connor that he wouldn't likely be a starter. Andy Hall transferred in and Connor, still on scholarship, served as his backup for the entire 2002 season. Connor decided to transfer out after the 2002 season (his sophomore year) because it was obvious he didn't have what it took to supplant Hall in 2003. (Of course, Hall won a NC in 2003.)

FTR, UD never threatened to pull Mike's scholarship. He transferred to Lehigh following the 2002 season, sat out in 2003 and was on Lehigh's 2004 roster as a backup QB.

The bottom line was that Mike was a hard-nosed, dedicated kid, who just didn't have the talent to be an effective D-I QB. If you think Mike didn't get a fair shot with UD or LU, you really don't understand the situation and would probably be best served not commenting on it... or Jared Bradley for that matter.xnonox

WildCat In The Hat
January 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah-I understand different systems require different talents and have no problem with that. But, I have a hard time believing a player that knows he is going to transfer at the end of a season willingly gives up an entire year of eligibility to play in the last game of a season for a coach that already told him he is not wanted in the program. Maybe that's how KC spins it.

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah-I understand different systems require different talents and have no problem with that. But, I have a hard time believing a player that knows he is going to transfer at the end of a season willingly gives up an entire year of eligibility to play in the last game of a season for a coach that already told him he is not wanted in the program. Maybe that's how KC spins it.

Not spin - it was how it was reported in the newspapers (both Delaware papers and SE PA papers where Strath Haven is located) and how Connor said it, both before and after he transferred. The Connors didn't like what happened to Mike at UD, but they've never said that KC forced him to play that last game in 2002. If you don't have the accurate info, it's best not to speculate. xpeacex

henfan
January 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM

It's not spin. It's a fact. Connor and his father were both quoted in the local print media that the decision was entirely Mike's. He could have sat out the last two games of 2001 as well but wanted to play. The kid was a competitor.

WildCat In The Hat
January 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
If a high school recruit is good enough.. he will get more than a fair shot.. if he isn't.. he will be surpassed by new high school recruits or.... transfers.

Sell that to Bradish, Scanlon and of the other QB's that are on the roster. Better yet, sell it to the high school QB's currently being recruited.

GannonFan
January 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Sell that to Bradish, Scanlon and of the other QB's that are on the roster. Better yet, sell it to the high school QB's currently being recruited.

All of which knew what they were getting into when they came to Delaware. I'm sure the competition told them about it over and over, and I'm sure they are intelligent enough to understand what was in front of them, yet they choose to come to UD anyway. I haven't heard anybody say they were misled. Heck, Scanlon asked to be moved to safety before last year even started because he wanted to be on the field. They know there will be competition and to be on the field they have to be better than that competition. Should we fault W&M now for recruiting and playing Jake Phillips ahead of Mike Potts - was Potts misled when W&M signed a better recruit the year after they signed Potts?

Just like with the Connor story you're making up, you might want to stick with things you know rather than assume. xthumbsupx

henfan
January 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds like we got a jealous Wildcat in the house. Why else in God's name would anyone care about backup players on another team?

Sorry that the thread about a JMU player was hijacked, but here's the final nail in the Connor saga:

Keeler: Hall remains Hens' No. 1 QB
News Journal, The (Wilmington, DE) - November 24, 2002
Author: NJ, MARTIN FRANK, Staff

Connor stars despite losing year of eligibility
By MARTIN FRANK, Staff reporter

NEWARK - There will be no quarterback controversy.

University of Delaware football coach K.C. Keeler made that very clear after Mike Connor had the Blue Hens on the verge of upsetting Villanova on Saturday, when his passing and running had the Wildcats reeling...

And yet, there was a trace of empathy in Connor's voice when he said he understood the situation. He had made perhaps the biggest sacrifice, giving up a redshirt season to play the season finale, a decision he said was as difficult as any he had ever made.

Now, Connor has two seasons left instead of three, with one of those as Hall's backup. This after Connor became the first true freshman quarterback to start at Delaware in 50 years when he won the job from senior Sam Postlethwait midway through last season...

"There was a side of me that wanted to show anyone who doubted that I could be a good quarterback," Connor said. "I showed them, and I did it in the framework of the team system..."

This is what Connor had waited for all season. Hall, a transfer from Georgia Tech, was named the starting quarterback 12 days before the season started. That day, Connor broke his right index finger and was unavailable for the first four games. When he came back, he broke his left ring finger and was unavailable for two more.

Hall, meanwhile, had taken every snap, mainly because the Hens were in close games each week. So when Connor made it into November without playing, it seemed natural that he would end up redshirting. But when Hall tore his rotator cuff, Keeler approached Connor and gave him the option of sitting out the Villanova game and preserving his redshirt, or playing and losing it.

Connor knew he was in a no-win situation.

If he sat out, some might have regarded him as selfish for putting himself ahead of the team. But by playing, he potentially cost himself a season as a starter. Connor talked to his coaches. He talked to his father, Jim, defensive coordinator at Strath Haven High School in Wallingford, Pa. And he talked to other family members and friends before making his decision...

Added Connor: "I looked at it in simple terms. When you're the second-team quarterback and the first-team quarterback goes down, you're the guy."

When asked if some advised him against giving up his redshirt, Connor responded: "There's always some of that going on. But I came here to play..."

Connor said he'll start preparing for next season on Monday, even though he knows Hall is still the starter, and even though he knows he gave up a season for his team.

He was asked if one game was worth losing his redshirt.

"Yeah, it was," Connor said. "It was fun just to compete. This was like an opener for me..."

WildCat In The Hat
January 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
It's not spin. It's a fact. Connor and his father were both quoted in the local print media that the decision was entirely Mike's. He could have sat out the last two games of 2001 as well but wanted to play. The kid was a competitor.

Absolutely the kid was a competitor-and that is whay I would want him on my team. Just for the record the last time I was in PA-I had a conversation with the family about the situation-so it is something that I have some knowledge of-no I'm not an expert on Delaware history and it was awhile ago, that is why I said I wasn't sure of all the details.
My intention was not to bring up a debate on Connor. I was simply stating that there is something to be said about a coaching staff that stands by the commitments that they make to their recruits. Plain and simple. You all don't have to agree with that. Delaware has been and I;m sure will continue to be succesful. I can definitely tell you that recruits do consider Delawares history of transfers when they decide to commit or not-I ahve spoken with at least 3 kids that were offered and did not commit to them for that reason. But, I'm sure their success (which in part is due to the transfers) will also bring recruits in. It's just my opinion.

WildCat In The Hat
January 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Sounds like we got a jealous Wildcat in the house. Why else in God's name would anyone care about backup players on another team?

Sorry that the thread about a JMU player was hijacked, but here's the final nail in the Connor saga:

No, not jealous at all of Delaware. Actually pretty psyched they did this well this year. After reading the article I come away even more impressed with Connor. Sounds like a great kid and I'm sure he wouldn't be the first person not to tell the press his real feelings.
I appreciate all of your DE fans passion for your team-don't think everyone is trying to egg you on. Conversation about football that's all it is.
JMU can have the thread back.

henfan
January 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Absolutely the kid was a competitor-and that is whay I would want him on my team.

And that is why UD wanted Connor to stay as well. The decision to leave belonged to Mike and his family. He obviously thought he'd get a better shot to be a starter at Lehigh and ended up getting buried deep on the roster.

Being a fierce competitor does not usually compensate for lack of ability, nor will it alone allow a player to supplant an equally fierce competitor with more talent & experience. You hate to see that happen to as fantastic a kid as Mike, but thems the breaks.

If your intent was to make a point about a coaching staff that lives by their commitments, you'll get no argument here. However, in this particular case, UD lived up to their commitment to Connor by honoring his scholarship, even after a complete turnover in the coaching staff. An athletic scholarship is not guarantee that playing time will automatically be awarded and it certainly does not guarantee a starting role. Most players, whether recruited out of HS or entering via the transfer route, should understand that very basic agreement.

Don't worry so much about UD's recruiting. We're doing very well, especially in PA.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I forget the exact details, but if I remember correctly he was a QB that Keeler decided wasn't good enough for the team, and tried to get him to give up his scholly and then ended blowing a year of the kids eligibility any way at the end of the season. I could be mistaken about that-but I do recall something along those lines.

The cold hard fact is that Dan Connor's bother.. Mike Connor WASN'T good enough.. he transfered to Lehigh and was never a factor in the LU QB equation.

Connor's situation was one where the student athlete gets caught up in a coaching change... and KC came in and wanted to change the offense from the Wing-T to a spread offense. Connor was not going to work in that offense as he didn't have the arm strength or accuracy to be a QB in that system. Keeler brought in Andy Hall, and he was the starter that year. Hall got hurt and missed the last game of the year, and Keeler gave Connor the option of playing the last game or preserving his redshirt. Connor elected to play the game and did alright. But it was Connor's decision to play that game and used the eligibility. He then decided in the off season to transfer, and he went to Lehigh, where ChickenMan is correct and he was never able to dent the QB hierarchy there. Basically, Connor got screwed because of the coaching/offensive system change - happens quite often when a new coach takes over.

Finishing the story, Connor transferred to Lehigh in what seemed like a decent situation. The year before in 2003 almost every QB went down with injury and our punter Kyle Keating was the starting QB by the end of the year. His heir apparent was Mark Borda, and Connor transferred into the mix with the thought he could compete for the starting job. Unfortunately, he wasn't better than the strong-armed Borda, and in that year's recruting class we had Sedale Threatt who looked like a promising QB who ended up as Borda's understudy.

It was a strange choice for Connor to move from one spread offense to another at Lehigh (who had been running that type of offense for years). But Connor did have an opportunity to compete for the starting job against the starting punter and a guy who played only in garbage time in 2003, so on paper it wasn't a bad decision.

What also should be mentioned is that by transferring from UD to Lehigh he sat out a year - thus in effect getting another "redshirt" year.

I'm not sure I'd ask that of a player to blow his redshirt year up in order to play in a football game, even if it's UD/Villanova. However, those games were the highlight of Connor's college football career and something he can look back on proudly, so maybe it was the right decision after all.

bluehenbillk
January 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I can't believe that WildCat in the Hat is bring up garbage from the Mike Connor days, and can't even get the freaking story right.

Thanks for posting the article henfan, if you can't believe the words coming out of his mouth then what can you believe. I think the situation worked out fine for UD as Hall was a heckuva lot better than Connor ever was/would've been as his bench riding days at Lehigh proved.

As for that comment about Bradley, hey he was highly touted outta Strath Haven HS & hasn't shown that ability yet at UD. Bradley sits at #3 on the depth chart right now & barring injuries may not get much playing time.

ChickenMan
January 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
As for that comment about Bradley, hey he was highly touted outta Strath Haven HS & hasn't shown that ability yet at UD. Bradley sits at #3 on the depth chart right now & barring injuries may not get much playing time.

and Bradley was #3 this past season behind Omar Cuff and a true Freshman (Thaxton).. demonstrating my previous point that if a player isn't good enough.. he will be replaced by a better guy and most times that better guy isn't a 'transfer'.

mcveyrl
January 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hey, let's not cut hairs here. JMU has something like 5-6 transfers on their roster, UD has about 9-11, and UMass typically has close to 20. I know JMU folks like to think they don't take transfers (W&M would be a good example of that - they might have 0-2 transfers on their roster), but they aren't far behind in that regard. However, ain't anything wrong with that. ;)

Just to steer this mildly back on topic...

GF and I have had a few little discussions about this topic and I agree with him. So long as the transfers are quality transfers and contribute, I don't have a problem. Nobody's cheating and to me it's part of the game.

My only issue is with picking up a transfer known to have academic or off the field problems.

GannonFan
January 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Just to steer this mildly back on topic...

GF and I have had a few little discussions about this topic and I agree with him. So long as the transfers are quality transfers and contribute, I don't have a problem. Nobody's cheating and to me it's part of the game.

My only issue is with picking up a transfer known to have academic or off the field problems.

Agree with that last point, and that's the shame about transfers - 95% of them are good kids who for some reason or another got rejected by the big business that is FBS football and they are looking for a place to play and/or looking for a better educational opportunity. However, the 5% of transfers who are bad kids or have tons of academic or off-the field problems get all the headlines and people just assume that's what the majority of transfers are. Luckily, most of us know better. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
January 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
and Bradley was #3 this past season behind Omar Cuff and a true Freshman (Thaxton).. demonstrating my previous point that if a player isn't good enough.. he will be replaced by a better guy and most times that better guy isn't a 'transfer'.

Just throwing my two cents in here - Bradley did get a real good opportunity when he was a true freshman - he came to UD and spurned Syracuse because he wanted a shot to play early, and he carried the ball quite a bit in '06, especially when Cuff went out with the high ankle sprain that year and missed more than half the season. Unfortunately, Bradley didn't really impress much. He then had another shot at the start of '07 and was going to be Cuff's backup and probably get 10 touches a game but then he fractured his hip bone in the last week of fall practice leading up to the season and wasn't available for 3-4 games. By then, Thaxton, a true freshman, came in and looked pretty good. That coupled with Cuff's great season meant that Bradley didn't get a lot of looks. He'll get another shot this year now that Cuff's gone and he'll have to beat out Bradley as well as another RB who got hurt last Fall, Butler. He's getting his chances, but you still have to demonstrate in those chance that you can play. Time will tell with Bradley.

BDKJMU
January 26th, 2008, 01:53 AM

I bet under Matthew's tenure at JMU during the 1st few years he might have avg 4-5 transfers a year, but in the last 5 of so the avg has probably been about 2-3 a year, with about 1 of those ending up making an impact. As I said before on the thread about the OSU QB transfer to UD, players tranfer from I-A to I-AA for all sorts of reasons, personal, coaching staff changes, don't kike the coaches, academics, off the field issues, etc. But # 1 is still that most don't see themselves as getting much PT, or at least not starting if they stay. And the majority of I-A that transfer down don't make an impact. Maybe about 1/3 or so do. UD may have a little more successfull track record than others, esp at QB...

Transfer U, I mean UMass I remember reading last season had 24 dozen transfers on their roster. This article that came out during summer practice says 23:
http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1187045112293910.xml&coll=1