PDA

View Full Version : Redshirts you expect to contribute next year.

Tribe4SF
January 19th, 2008, 05:59 AM
To expand on the starters thread, who do you expect to see making a difference next year from the freshmen who redshirted in '07?

For W&M...

DE Ravi Pradhanang..6'3" 255..Paramus, NJ (St. Peter's Prep)- Should step into the DE rotation and improve run D. Would have played last year but for injury.

DT Harold Robertson..6'1" 295..Richmond, VA (Hermitage)- Like Pradhanang, should help raise the run D. Good feet, and range.

LB Jake Trantin..6'1" 225..Severn, MD (Archbishop Spalding)- Strength and speed to play inside, or out.

LB Marcus Hyde..6'3" 225..Manassas, VA (Osbourne)- Great frame, and speed for OLB.

CB James Neal..5'9" 180..Baltimore, MD (Salisbury School - Mass.)- Should challenge for time among a deep group at corner.

OT Jake Marcey..6'4" 285..Gainesville, VA (Woodberry Forest)- Probable starter at one of the tackle spots. Very strong, and athletic.

Group below should bring a new level of speed to special teams play.

- Jake O'Connor..6' 185..Richmond, VA (Douglas Freeman)

- Nick Downey..5'10" 178..Lancaster, PA (Lancaster Catholic)

- Ryan Woolfolk..5'11" 185..Atlanta, GA (Holy Innocents)

Pradhanang is pictured.

catamount man
January 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM
For Western Carolina, QB Zack Jaynes and RB Quan Warley.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ngineer
January 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
The Patriot League only allows medical redshirts..and I think to qualify your injury must occur before 20% of the season is in (not sure on that). From what I heard, Lehigh WR Pete Donchez may qualify for another year due to injury from previous season...He missed a lot this year with leg injuries, but played enough this year for it not to figure in. He has great size and good hands, but has been injury prone his whole career. The lack of his ability to become the #1 WR we all though he'd be this year, I think, hurt our passing game significantly. It got several freshmen quality playing time, but while making some nice plays, also made some crucial drops in some games that could have been difference makers. I'm not aware of any other seniors who may be eligible for another year as an MR.

Tribe4SF
January 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
So how many of Lehigh's true Freshmen saw the field last year?

WrenFGun
January 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
For UNH, you'd have to break this down a few ways.

There are a few RS-FR who went down injured/merely subbed, who should get considerably more run next season:

LB Devon Jackson
WR Chris Chandler
QB R.J. Toman
DT Lance Mailloux
RB Sean Jellison

These five didn't play much, but should have much larger roles next season.

UNH also had a number of true freshman forced into active duty who should see even bigger roles next season, namely:

CB Anthony Gorell (Nickel Back)
S Ryan McGuiness (Safety/Rover)
WR Terrance Fox (ST Ace/Slot WR)
DB Mike Perkins
WR JT Wright (Will be the #1/#2 WR next season)
DE Kyle Maroney (Starting DE)

As far as 2008 RS-FR go, I'd say:

QB Kevin Decker (Will compete with Toman for the starting spot)
LB Mark Petercuskie (One of UNH's better recruits, will at least see time on S/T, and may work his way into the LB/DE rotation, if he's big enough)
DL John Murray (Another big recruit, should see time at DE/DT)
OL George Pecoraro (Need depth on the OL)
OL Jayson Elmore (Same)
DE Brian McNally (We're very thin at DE)

As you can tell, UNH is still very young, and was even last year.

LehighFan11
January 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Alot more than I would of wished. Our backfield was basically freshman.

ngineer
January 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM

By my count 11 of our freshman saw significant playing time this year--besides special teams. At one point our backfield was a rotation of both frosh, Walker and Kankam. Meanwhile OL Clerge and Rackley saw a lot of time and DL Winnett was playing almost as much as the starters. WR Artim showed potential but also showed nerves in several drops as mentioned above. On special teams, Kennedy established himself as a real threat with a number of big KO returns. If he can learn to catch, he could be another WR, although he's listed as a DB. Big things expected from a few frosh that couldn't crack the lineup but have a lot of 'upside potential' are DL Braillier, LB Linder, WR Zurn and TE Wojdowski (who actually played some backup). K Randazza has shown a strong leg as Leo enters his senior season, it appears we have a quality backup there.
Of course, the big Q will be whether the two frosh QB's Cisneros and Clark have what it takes to take the tiller. Bokosky, IMO, did not appear to have what it takes to be a full time starter.

Appinator
January 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Brian Quick, 6'5 WR, 'nuff said

BarefootApp
January 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Any App fans know about the transfer from Vandy? He had to sit last season out, but is he coming back, etc.? Just curious. He was supposed to be a bigtime player.

Appguy
January 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Any App fans know about the transfer from Vandy? He had to sit last season out, but is he coming back, etc.? Just curious. He was supposed to be a bigtime player.

Quavian Lewis is going to compete with Tony Robertson for the DE position, although he is a little undersized

BarefootApp
January 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
thanks guy

Fear The Beard
January 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Quavian Lewis is going to compete with Tony Robertson for the DE position, although he is a little undersized

I have heard that the coaches are very very impressed with Quavian Lewis. They believe he will be a team leader! We may go from having a sometimes questionable run defense and pass rush to one of the very best in FCS. Put this with a Amanti Edwards Offense and we will be in the chase again next year.

ERASU2113
January 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Tony Robertson, Tim Washington, Gary Tharrington, and Lewis? Talk about one helluva rotation. I guess Tharrington will play more DT like he did last season

DTSpider
January 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'll just go by the title, and say that UR has 2 guys who redshirted this year who could have a huge impact next year:

Tim Silver & Sherman Logan

As for true freshmen who sat out, look for:

Corey Jackson - DT 6-3 270 Clover, VA (Halifax)
Donte Boston - WR 6-1 185 Richmond, Va. (Varina)

andy7171
January 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
Towson had a lot of bad injuries early in the season force several true freshman into action before they were truly ready. A big d-line recruit 6'2" 285lb Yaky Ibia particularly. He was rotating in as early as week 3 and in the starting line up by the end of the season. He faired well and the game experience will help him next year, but I have to think a year of lifting weights would have really helped him before his actual game participation began.

ab4app
January 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Tony Robertson, Tim Washington, Gary Tharrington, and Lewis? Talk about one helluva rotation. I guess Tharrington will play more DT like he did last season

Not to mention our linebackers Roman, Banks, Smith, thas gonna be a nasty D if we gel and stay healthyxnodx xnodx xnodx

fuEMO
January 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
It looks like several Furman redshirts should help immediately. I’ll put them in order of impact.

Offense:
Seth Skogan TE 6-4 230 Lookout Mountain, TN
Set Tennessee all division records for receptions (282), receiving (5,281), touchdowns (62). Made the switch from wide receiver to tightend during his redshirt year. Seth has a chance to put up big numbers and cause a lot of mismatches.

Seddrick Cunnigham FLK/ATH 5-11 188 Zephyrhills, FLA
Played quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back and returned kicks in high school. 4,513 all-purpose yards during his high school career. Played quarterback for the scout team and excelled.

Adrian “Tank” Baker TB 5-9 215 Maryville, TN
Played for Tennessee prep super power Maryville. Three-year starter, three state championships. Rushed for 3,006 yards and 38 career touchdowns. Suffered a serious leg injury in a car accident, recovered to still rush 1,055 yards during the second half of his senior year. Tank runs very well side to side, he’s a bigger version of Mike Brown, except he probably runs a 4.5 instead of a 4.3.

Defense:
Kadarron Anderson LB 6-1 209 Greenwood, SC
Played safety in high school, made the switch to linebacker easily and could have contributed as a true freshman. Anderson is physical and has safety speed. But his biggest asset, he’s a class kid. I think he will be a four-year starter for Furman.

Brandon Boykin LB 6-0 225 Memphis, TN
Brandon is another similar to Kadarron in style, but I think he could be the future middle linebacker. Played a lot on the edge for White Station High. Boykin and Anderson raise Furman’s defensive speed quite a bit.

Adim Obata NG 6-0, 253 Atlanta, GA
Played for Martin Luther King High, complied 268 tackles, 26 sacks. Very quick, basically a clone of All SoCon performer Justin Brown.

Mckenzy Opio DT 6-3, 295 Gainesville, GA
A big kid with a ton of upside, looks like a player you would expect to see on the APP defensive line.

Kill'em
January 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
I can't remember much about most of our redshirts but 2 1/2 will make a big push for playing time:

1) Lee Chappele (QB) One of Hatcher's prized recruits. Expected to push predicted starter, Billy Lowe for the spot.

2) Adrian Mora (P/K) I've heard the kid is the real deal, however, eventhough Jessie Hartley had two game-losing misses, he was very solid. Mora might be a year away from his chance.

3) Zeke Rosier (RB) (He is the 1/2) Received a medical redshirt this season after tearing up his knee against Coastal Carolina in week 2. He was a true freshman last year with a lot of hype coming our of high school. He did not disappoint with a 40+ TD run on his first collegiate carry. With the loss of Foster, Lewis, our entire offensive line, and Irving Campbell, Rosier will be the key to building on last year. If the knee hasn't recovered, it might be a long season in '08.

McNeese_beat
January 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
For McNeese, I would suspect that one of their RS freshman corners — Jarron Jackson or London Durham — will have a good shot at one of the corner positions.

Steven Whitehead, the 2006 SLC Player of the Year, will be coming off a medical hardship.

Some redshirt freshmen O-linemen will play on the second team, most notably center Miguel Gautreaux.

I suspect RS freshman DT Michael Breaux will play a lot.

Beyond that...we'll see in the spring!

NYJMUSupporter
January 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
WR/DB Kerby Long. Mickey Matthews has said that he will serve as our version of slash this season. He is suuposed to be a dynamic athlete and I know the coaching staff expects him to light up the scoreboard next year. Only time will tell.

already123
January 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Brian Riley 6'5 TE...versatile

GeauxLions94
January 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Steven Whitehead, the 2006 SLC Player of the Year, will be coming off a medical hardship.

xoopsx He's been around forever!

For us, here's four to keep an eye on ...
Walter Vaughn, DE, 6-4, 280, Jr.
Season-ending injury at Kansas last season ... was the veteran of the line last season with all the freshmen we played.

David Ward, OL, 6-3, 305, Soph.
Started all 11 games as a freshman in 2005, missed entire 2006 campaign with injury.

Craig Duronslet, CB, 5-11, 175, Fr.
All-State player at St. James High School (same school that produced NYG's Corey Webster), one of the top 2A programs in Louisiana.

Kory Theodore, WR, 6-1, 175, Fr.
Played in a run-oriented offense in high school, but has the ability to get past defenders.