PDA

View Full Version : Are Sewak's days numbered in Statesboro?

Baltimore Hen
September 19th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Losing 3 of the last 4 to Wofford? Losing back-back games this early in the season? (or back-back games period) Losing a HOME playoff game. I think he is on the GSU hotseat..........

blueballs
September 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Go to TSCSports.com and read it for yourself...

Actually, it is worse than you think.

During the Sewak tenure GSU has:

actually lost 4 of its last 6 going back to last year,

lost in the first round for the first time in program history,

lost a home playoff game for the first time in program history,

seen its string of 6 straight conference titles snapped,

lost 3 of 4 to Wofford,

alienated Erk Russell, who won't even come to Paulson anymore,

gone 2-2 in the playoffs, with both losses coming at home,

played sub .500 against teams that are .500 or better,

seen GSU score less then 21 pts in consecutive games for the first time in 8+ years...

The natives are restless a plenty.

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM

lost 3 of 4 to Wofford,

seen GSU score less then 21 pts in consecutive games for the first time in 8+ years...

If you feel comfortable explaining, what erked Erk?

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Don't say the Hens fans didn't tell you this back in 2002! Hopefully some of you guys remember the conversations. :p

chattanoogamocs
September 19th, 2005, 01:35 PM

I believe they fired his son...and handled it pretty badly.

I will let the GSU faithful correct me if I am wrong and explain further.

EagleRB
September 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Sewak told the media in a news conference that he discussed the release of Rusty to Erk.... Sewak never talked to Erk and he got really mad and has never returned.... Didnt help that the administration backed Sewak on the matter.....

blueballs
September 19th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I believe they fired his son...and handled it pretty badly.

I will let the GSU faithful correct me if I am wrong and explain further.

Correct.

Actually Sewak fired Rusty Russell, who was the defensive coordinator going back to 1997 and coincidentally a finalist for the HC job with Sewak when Paul Johnson left, then was quoted in print in the Savannah paper saying that he consulted Erk about firing Rusty. Erk then released a written statement disputing Sewak's version and saying he was never consulted and at that time disavowed himself from the GSU program. The athletic director, Sam Baker, backed Sewak. I haven't seen Erk Russell at Paulson Stadium since.

This is terrible for 1000 reasons that we don't have the bandwidth to delve into. But it will be a very sad day in Statesboro come November 5 when GSU honors and has a reunion of the 1985 National Championship team and the head coach and patriarch of that team isn't in attendance.

Actually, this is a very sore spot with many of the GSU faithful. Erk Russell is almost a diety in Georgia (he was the DC at UGA for 16 yrs and was the DC on UGA's 12-0-0 NC team in 1980) and among the oldtime GSU faithful. He was the man who took the dream of football at tiny Georgia Southern College and made it a reality beyond anybody's wildest expectations.

The man took a bunch of walk-ons, started a program, and in the next 8 years coached that program to 3 National Titles, one runner-up, and retired being carried off the field by his players a champion having gone 15-0-0 in his swan song. The players and coaches he left behind then won another NC in 1990, the "Last of the Hard."

Many of the traditions that are GSU football come from ERK. Beautiful Eagle Creek, the beat up yellow busses, the option offense, the uniforms, the GATA motto, the legacy of coaches, the walk-on program, breakfast at Snooky's, victory cigars, character building, overachieving... I could go on and on.

The university and athletic department has done precious little to honor the man many of us believe is the "godfather" of GSU football. There is no monument to him, nothing named after him, no honoring him in any way. Erk is in his late 70's now and my greatest fear is that when they finally do decide to mend fences and honor him it won't be posthumously. A great many of us miss him and want him back.

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Correct.

Actually Sewak fired Rusty Russell, who was the defensive coordinator going back to 1997 and coincidentally a finalist for the HC job with Sewak when Paul Johnson left, and then was quoted in print in the Savannah paper saying that he consulted Erk about firing Rusty. Erk then released a written statement disputing Sewak's version and saying he was never consulted and at that time disavowed himself from the GSU program. I haven't seen him at Paulson Stadium since.

This is terrible for 1000 reasons that we don't have the bandwidth to delve into. But it will be a very sad day in Statesboro come November 5 when GSU honors and has a reunion of the 1985 National Championship team and the head coach and patriarch of that team isn't in attendance.

Thanks, I knew that Erk was peeved but never knew the reason. No comment from me on the rights and wrongs as that is situation for the Eagles to work through. But you are correct on the reunion matter. While I will be in Purple, I will have no problem giving the '85 Eagle team a standing O right along with the Eagle fans, but it will be sad that the "Coach" will not be there.

blukeys
September 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Correct.

Actually Sewak fired Rusty Russell, who was the defensive coordinator going back to 1997 and coincidentally a finalist for the HC job with Sewak when Paul Johnson left, and then was quoted in print in the Savannah paper saying that he consulted Erk about firing Rusty. Erk then released a written statement disputing Sewak's version and saying he was never consulted and at that time disavowed himself from the GSU program. I haven't seen him at Paulson Stadium since.

Get rid of Sewak by 11-5-05 and I bet ole' Erk could squeeze the reuion into his schedule! ;) ;) :) :) :)

Tailbone
September 19th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Actually, it is worse than you think. ......

Having seen the need for a "savior" when a program gets in trouble (Griz budget deficit, AD resignation, and all that goes with it) the value of the person considered to be the "father" of the program cannot be overstated.

It was indeed a black day for GSU when Erk was alienated.

WallyTerrier
September 19th, 2005, 02:24 PM
As a long time UGA fan, I was around in the 70 and early 80's when Erk with his bald head a bleeding, knocked heads witht the defensives unit. BTW, he is the one credited with the nickname "Junkyard Dawgs" for the 1975 UGA defense. But I digress. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Rusty also play at UGA? I seem to think he did.
I am so sorry to hear of Erk not being around at GSU. I know he is valued highly and loved by many of the Eagle faithful, as well he should be.
Too bad, in personnel situations, one gets rid of his most visible rival. Its happened beforeand will probably happen again!

blueballs
September 19th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Rusty Russell played defensive end and linebacker for UGA from 1973-1975.

Baldy
September 19th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Sewak told the media in a news conference that he discussed the release of Rusty to Erk.... Sewak never talked to Erk and he got really mad and has never returned.... Didnt help that the administration backed Sewak on the matter.....

The fact is Sewak talked to Erk 2 weeks before the news conference about Rusty's firing. Sewak's problem was that he said he "consulted" Erk. He didn't, he did however give Erk a "heads up" about his decision. He shouldn't have to "consult" Erk, either. Like it or not, this is Sewak's program and the only person he has to answer to is the AD. Being it is his head on the chopping block and his livelyhood at stake, he should be the one making staff decisions, not Sam Baker and certainly not Erk Russell.

This entire "alienation" situation has been blown out of proportion by both sides. Sewak should have corrected his "consultation" gaffe, and Erk should have let Sewak make his own staffing decisions. I doubt Erk would have OK'd any staffing changes with "Crook" Smith (Georgia Southern's coach before Erk revived the program) before hand.

This is and has been a childish feud by both sides, and is making me totally sick. I've about had my fill :mad: :bang:

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 02:50 PM
The fact is Sewak talked to Erk 2 weeks before the news conference about Rusty's firing. Sewak's problem was that he said he "consulted" Erk. He didn't, he did however give Erk a "heads up" about his decision. He shouldn't have to "consult" Erk, either. Like it or not, this is Sewak's program and the only person he has to answer to is the AD. Being it is his head on the chopping block and his livelyhood at stake, he should be the one making staff decisions, not Sam Baker and certainly not Erk Russell.

This entire "alienation" situation has been blown out of proportion by both sides. Sewak should have corrected his "consultation" gaffe, and Erk should have let Sewak make his own staffing decisions. I doubt Erk would have OK'd any staffing changes with "Crook" Smith (Georgia Southern's coach before Erk revived the program) before hand.

This is and has been a childish feud by both sides, and is making me totally sick. I've about had my fill :mad: :bang:

And that is why I said I would leave the rights and wrongs to GSU. My first reaction was who is the head coach? But I still think it is a sad situation and wish it different.

nick9c
September 19th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Not only does Erk not attend GSU games anymore, but his son Rusty has participated in fund-raising golf tournament for Furman's football program. Yikes! Bad blood I presume.

WallyTerrier
September 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was another side to the story.
Also, thanks for the confirmation regarding Rusty playing for UGA, I was pretty sure he had but I could not recall what years.
Has Rusty retired from coaching now? Does anyone from the GSU camp know?

I am sorry Erk feels ticked, and yes Sewak has the right to pick his own staff. It appears to be another situation of very bad communication.

Back to the orginal thread, yes I think the coach is on the proverbial hot-seat. A few more wins will not hurt! Esp if he manages 8-3.

FU97
September 19th, 2005, 04:44 PM

lost 3 of 4 to Wofford,

Pretty sure Paul Johnson was the coach for your first home playoff loss.

Baltimore Hen
September 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was another side to the story.
Also, thanks for the confirmation regarding Rusty playing for UGA, I was pretty sure he had but I could not recall what years.

I am sorry Erk feels ticked, and yes Sewak has the right to pick his own staff. It appears to be another situation of very bad communication.

Back to the orginal thread, yes I think the coach is on the proverbial hot-seat. A few more wins will not hurt! Esp if he manages 8-3.

I do not think that 8-3 will do it. THat is sub-par in Statesboro. The team has been average for a number of years now and I think the fans and the boosters have had their fill of it. The only thing that will help is a deel playoff run if not a NC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Correct. It was 2001 in the semi-finals, Furman 24, GSU 17. I hate thinking about that game. Grrrr...

pete4256
September 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Rusty Russell had been hired last spring (?) by Alvin Wyatt to be Bethune-Cookman's D-Coordinator, but apparently that didn't work out.

Any BCC fans know why RR quit this summer?

pete4256
September 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I do not think that 8-3 will do it. THat is sub-par in Statesboro. The team has been average for a number of years now and I think the fans and the boosters have had their fill of it. The only thing that will help is a deel playoff run if not a NC.

2003 I'll give you, but do you seriously think that GSU was an average team in 2002 and 2004?

Please explain.

eaglesrthe1
September 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM
2003 I'll give you, but do you seriously think that GSU was an average team in 2002 and 2004?

Please explain.

Depends on what you are using as average.
For 1-AA? No.
For GSU? Actually, below average.

Sewak has his players, his schemes, and his coaches. He is the HMIC, on the hot seat, and driving the bus. Nobody for him to speak to for any failures this year, but himself. If GSU were the defending NCs and on a roll, he would be reaping much of the credit, yes? The aw ****s have to be taken with the attaboys.

blueballs
September 19th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Correct. Sewak was the OC during that one.

umassfan
September 19th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Does an 8-3 GSU team with the losses you have had so far even make it into the playoffs?

Eagle22
September 20th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Rusty Russell had been hired last spring (?) by Alvin Wyatt to be Bethune-Cookman's D-Coordinator, but apparently that didn't work out.

Any BCC fans know why RR quit this summer?

Russell resigned his position due to family considerations.

colgate13
September 20th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Does an 8-3 GSU team with the losses you have had so far even make it into the playoffs?

I haven't done the scenarios, but doesn't an 8-3 record for GSU mean they only have one conference loss? So Wofford would have to lose twice and GSU wins the SoCon and gets the autobid. They're is plenty of football to be played, but an 8-3 GSU team has a great shot at the playoffs IMO. Now, 7-4 is another story...

blueballs
September 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I haven't done the scenarios, but doesn't an 8-3 record for GSU mean they only have one conference loss? So Wofford would have to lose twice and GSU wins the SoCon and gets the autobid. They're is plenty of football to be played, but an 8-3 GSU team has a great shot at the playoffs IMO. Now, 7-4 is another story...

Not necessarily. GSU is 1-2 overall, 0-1 in conference. 8-3 with one conference loss would mean a loss to either SDSU or Morehead St.

Of course anything is possible but if I were going to put my money on GSU losing another game or games it would be in this order of likelyhood: App State in Boone 10/15, WCU at home 10/8, Furman at home 11/5, SDSU at Brookings 10/29, UTC at home 9/24. I can't see GSU losing to Elon, El Cid or Morehead but stranger things have happened.

7-4 gets you a seat on the couch with a beer and chips for the playoffs.

ChickenMan
September 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Yes...

GreatAppSt
September 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Many of the traditions that are GSU football come from ERK. Beautiful Eagle Creek, the beat up yellow busses, the option offense,

I believe PJ was the father of the triple option as Erks OC. Erk adopted it.

Baltimore Hen
September 20th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Please explain.

By GSU standards they were. Last year they lose in the first round at home? That is average by the GSU standard I have seen preached over the years. In the PJ era, GSU rarely lost the big game. It seems that in the Sewak era, they are having trouble winning the big game. In 2002 he was running with PJ's players (even though he was a member of the staff). Until then they played by pj's rules. I just think that we can see a noticeable drop off in talent and production under Sewaks watch.

DemiGS
September 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM
God I hope so. For anyone that has actually been seeing GSU games in person the last several years, the problem is obvious. Sloppy Sloppy Sloppy! The team is not being made ready to play in tough games. We are consistantly out coached and frankly, even the most passive fans are begining to notice. Does anyone have a feel about how much Sewak actually was involved with managing the offense and calling plays? It seems fishy that the OC is completely unable to run the same offense as the head coach.

Eaglegus2
September 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think the OC has the knowledge to run GSU's offense. He came from a Navy team that went 0 - 11.

Should give you an idea of his offensive capabilities.