PDA

View Full Version : OVC Presidents unanimously drop FB Requirement

Maroons
January 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.ovcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6200&ATCLID=1370334

Schools will no longer be required to play football in the OVC to be considered for membership.

Is it a de-emphasis on the sport? The Commish says no.

Is it a prelude to expansion by way of ETSU, Belmont or some other school? We shall see...

MplsBison
January 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Chicago State?

Or maybe Western Illinois as long as they could stay in the Gateway.

Maroons
January 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I thinking a more southern school... to try and keep JSU around a little longer. Chicago State would be quite a reach away from the OVC base in Nashville.

The OVC courted Chattanooga hard... maybe a run at ETSU is in the cards next to replace Samford.

PTW16
January 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Schools in the OVC play football???

That's news to me! xlolx xlolx xlolx

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Who else is out there besides ETSU and Belmont..

Centenary?
Mercer?
A team in the Horizon League?

Maroons
January 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM

xnonono2x

Maroons takes ball and goes home.

ERASU2113
January 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.ovcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6200&ATCLID=1370334

Schools will no longer be required to play football in the OVC to be considered for membership.

Is it a de-emphasis on the sport? The Commish says no.

Is it a prelude to expansion by way of ETSU, Belmont or some other school? We shall see...

This have anything to do with Samford leaving?

Maroons
January 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
This have anything to do with Samford leaving?

Wouldn't surprise me if the OVC Presidents don't see a suitable southern candidate to be JSU's "travel partner" and want to add a school without scholarship football.

ERASU2113
January 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the OVC Presidents don't see a suitable southern candidate to be JSU's "travel partner" and want to add a school without scholarship football.

That's what I figured, most southern schools that have football are already tied into a conference (Division 1 all the way to D-III) Rather than attempting to woo a school from another conference (like Chatty, wouldn't happen regardless) getting rid of the req. to have football is a smart move to keep JSU in for awhile, I'd assume.

Fresno St. Alum
January 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I think ETSU is at the top of their list. Then if Jacksonville St. stays after the moratorium they will add N.Alabama who is doing a D-I study now.

Even if Jacksonville St. leaves they would add ETSU, UNA along with another school.

Fresno St. Alum
January 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Schools that could be on the OVC's list

1.ETSU
2.UNA (D-II) exploring D-I
3.Kennesaw St.
4.Belmont
5.Lipscomb
6.SIU-Edwardsville
7.W.Georgia (D-II) exploring D-I when fb stadium is done
8.Valdosta St. (D-II) would go D-I if UNA, UWG go D-I
9.Centenary
10.N.Kentucky (D-II) looking at D-I when BkB arena is done

Golden Eagle
January 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Interesting.

TTUEagles
January 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Oh, we play it, we don't win much (playoffs recently), but we play it...

As far as "de-emphasizing" the sport, I'm not sure, but I never felt like the commish(es) ever really put 100% into emphasizing it. I'm not sure even I know what that statement means.
I was always told that the OVC was really trying to be known more as a basketball conference. But looking at the conference RPI this year, they've failed miserably at that attempt. I don't see why the OVC cannot be more competitive nationally with other FCS schools. The demographics, for example, aren't that much different than most other FCS school. It's really sad to me to see what others out there perceive the OVC to be...but I cannot say I really have much of an argument.

OSBF
January 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
InS would be a better fit in the OVC than where there are now in the GFC/MVC.

GannonFan
January 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oh, we play it, we don't win much (playoffs recently), but we play it...

As far as "de-emphasizing" the sport, I'm not sure, but I never felt like the commish(es) ever really put 100% into emphasizing it. I'm not sure even I know what that statement means.
I was always told that the OVC was really trying to be known more as a basketball conference. But looking at the conference RPI this year, they've failed miserably at that attempt. I don't see why the OVC cannot be more competitive nationally with other FCS schools. The demographics, for example, aren't that much different than most other FCS school. It's really sad to me to see what others out there perceive the OVC to be...but I cannot say I really have much of an argument.

That's just an odd statement, and I don't mean any disrespect, but I've never thought of the OVC as a basketball conference. I think there's only been one time in the past 10 years when more than 1 OVC team has been in the top 100 RPI-wise, and there's been years than no OVC team has been. And yes, this year is not the year to tout themselves as a basketball conference, I agree. Just an odd goal considering where they've been.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM

1.ETSU
3.Kennesaw St.
4.Belmont
5.Lipscomb
6.SIU-Edwardsville
9.Centenary

I highlighted IMO the best choices for the OVC. I don't think ETSU, Belmont, Kennesaw State and Lipscomb are on that list since I think if they start football it would be of the non-scholly variety like other A-Sun members Campbell and Jacksonville. To me, much more likely a UNA and/or a Valdosta State make the jump and join the OVC.

Where is SIU-E and Centerary coming from? Centenary is unlikely to revive football, and if they did it would be non-scholly variety. SIU-E hasn't shown anything football-wise at all - they was D-I basketball.

GeauxLions94
January 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM

1.ETSU
3.Kennesaw St.
4.Belmont
5.Lipscomb
6.SIU-Edwardsville
9.Centenary

IMO xcoffeex ,

1. YES!
2. Yes
3. Maybe
4. YES!
5. YES!
6. No
7. No
8. NO!
9. NOT EVEN!
10. Maybe

Cocky
January 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Why no to Valdosta State?

D1scout
January 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM

1.ETSU
3.Kennesaw St.
4.Belmont
5.Lipscomb
6.SIU-Edwardsville
9.Centenary

Fenso, SIU won't leave the Gateway in the near future. They are already in one of the best three FCS conferences in the nation. With the addition of SDSU and NDSU it will be even stronger and will bring SIU greater recognition.:)

GeauxLions94
January 19th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Why no to Valdosta State?

Out of the OVC's area (who would be their travel partner and closest rival would be JaxState).

Valdosta would be better suited for the SoCon or Big South, IMO

GeauxLions94
January 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Fenso, SIU won't leave the Gateway in the near future. They are already in one of the best three FCS conferences in the nation. With the addition of SDSU and NDSU it will be even stronger and will bring SIU greater recognition.:)

Wrong SIU, you're thinking Carbondale (definitely a no-go)

BearsCountry
January 19th, 2008, 01:22 AM

The school that Fresno mentioned is SIU-Edwardsville, the one you are thinking of is the flagship university in Carbondale.

catamount man
January 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I can now definitely seeing ETSU getting back into the OVC(they are a former member) with this new mandate, but I also see them getting football again once Paul Stanton leaves.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ekufbfan
January 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Just another reason for EKU to explore options. Northern Ky? A former community college are they. Now I know that things have changed a lot since those days (they are in the process of bulding a great new arena). But once again here we sit in the OVC while all of our other (former) rivals have moved on and up and we are talking about a Northern Ky joining the OVC. Nothing against Northern, just a comment about how stagnet EKU has become in this conference. GSU studying a move to FBS (not to mention JSU). One did not have a football program during our heyday and another who was DII (or III?). This is not to be taken as a jab against them, just how we seem to be complacent as some (Akron, JSU, wku, MTSU, Youngstown State, Samford) have a run through the OVC and then bid us goodbye. We seem okay with just "staying the course" and hoping somehow the OVC will get better. Sorry, EKU05, just another thing that proves my point.

D1scout
January 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
The school that Fresno mentioned is SIU-Edwardsville, the one you are thinking of is the flagship university in Carbondale.

Bear and Geaux, you both are correct! I forgot and I just visited both schools just last summer. It must be those few brown bottles I lifted prior to posting.xsmiley_wix

Cocky
January 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Football just doesn't seem to matter very much in the OVC.

Fresno St. Alum
January 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
N.Kentucky could be a good D-I B-Ball school if they get into the OVC.

Valdosta St. is a little southeast. Centenary is a little west for the OVC but I wanted to put all of the options out there.

I say its ETSU & N.Alabama. If Jacksonville St. leaves the OVC need to choose Belmont(no FB) or go with another new FCS FB school like Kennesaw St. (if they add FB) or another D-II move up like W.Georgia

bigbluetiger
January 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Interesting. Potentially could open the door for TSU to leave OVC football keep remaining sports. Just one man's opnion.

Cocky
January 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Interesting. Potentially could open the door for TSU to leave OVC football keep remaining sports. Just one man's opnion.

JSU could go the same route. If we can't get into a FBS league it might be independent days in FBS for us and still OVC in other sports.

YoUDeeMan
January 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Seems right in line with the OVC football teams' decisions to not require any effort to win their playoff games.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing. :D

Maroons
January 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Let me get all this straight... this rule paves the way for JSU to go FBS independent and TennState to join the SWAC?

If those things take place, football in the OVC will practically disintigrate. I'm not even sure the rule allows that kind of movement.

ekufbfan
January 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Let me get all this straight... this rule paves the way for JSU to go FBS independent and TennState to join the SWAC?

If those things take place, football in the OVC will practically disintigrate. I'm not even sure the rule allows that kind of movement.

...and plezeeee someone tell me WHY would we stay?xeyebrowx

Fresno St. Alum
January 20th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I don't think the OVC would let you leave for FB and stay for other sports. I hear the only reason Morehead St. got away with it, was because they were grandfathered in.

It's not unheard of though. UL-Monroe was SLC in other sports and Sun belt for football. They eventually move all sports to the Belt.

Tenn St. would have a tougher time though because the SWAC competes with the OVC.

bigbluetiger
January 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM

Who said anything about TSU joining the SWAC?

dbackjon
January 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
I think you ALL have it wrong :D - schools OVC wants have been mentioned, but not in the right context.

With Samford leaving, the OVC will have 10 teams, based/centered in Nashville.

Nashville is home to two A-Sun members that would love to join the OVC, but don't play football, but DO emphasis basketball (and always were good programs in the NAIA) - Belmont and Lipscomb. Both are growing rapidly, and both have brand new (within the past 5 years) arenas.

OVC adds Belmont and Lipscomb - easy travel for most of the OVC.

BearsCountry
January 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Another school that there has been rumors about joining the OVC is Evansville. I dont see why in the world they would leave the MVC but there was talk amonst their fanbase about it.

Maroons
January 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Another school that there has been rumors about joining the OVC is Evansville. I dont see why in the world they would leave the MVC but there was talk amonst their fanbase about it.

They would return to the conference they helped form so many years ago?

Maroons
January 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
Who said anything about TSU joining the SWAC?

I must have misunderstood the intention of your post. Were you suggesting TSU go it as an independent? Or drop football? Or are you thinking FBS like JSU?

Fresno St. Alum
January 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
ETSU should be ahead of Belmont & Lipscomb on the OVC's list. If the OVC doesn't want to wait for UNA to come to D-I then Belmont should get the other spot. If Jacksonville St. leaves for FBS then Lipscomb could get the 3rd opening to put the OVC at 12

EKU05
January 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Not that I think they're actually OVC bound, but D II Bellarmine University in Louisville (the birthplace of the OVC) is also doing some very early talking about a Division I move. They already play DI LaCrosse.

I think ETSU is coming sooner or later. For what it's worth they do have a solid basketball program. Even if it doesn't help it probably won't hurt. We'll see what plays out.

Fresno St. Alum
January 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Bellarmine & N.Kentucky will end up in D-I. N.Kentucky is closer to making the move. They usually have a good basketball team and they are better than Bellarmine.

ekufbfan
January 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Bellarmine & N.Kentucky will end up in D-I. N.Kentucky is closer to making the move. They usually have a good basketball team and they are better than Bellarmine.

I hear Sullivan and Spencerian are thinking about making a move to..then there is NAtional College of Business, we could always go after them.

ekufbfan
January 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM

I hear Sullivan and Spencerian College are thinking about making a move also....then there is the National College of Business, we could always go after them.xchinscratchx

dbackjon
January 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
ETSU should be ahead of Belmont & Lipscomb on the OVC's list. If the OVC doesn't want to wait for UNA to come to D-I then Belmont should get the other spot. If Jacksonville St. leaves for FBS then Lipscomb could get the 3rd opening to put the OVC at 12

Why would Belmont/ETSU be a better fit than Belmont/Lipscomb? What does ETSU offer the OVC? It is way out of the footprint, and not in a large market. Belmont/Lipscomb offer easy games in all sports to get to.

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
ETSU usually has a good basketball team and it only expands the OVC a little east. Plus there is always the hope with a new President ETSu could bring back FB). Belmont and Lipscomb are basically in the same place(some conferences don't like that). I didn't think the OVC would go to Alabama back in the day but they have now. ETSU is closer to Morehead St., EKU, & Tenn Tech than Jax St.

If Its me I take UNA, ETSU, & Belmont (if Jacksonville St. goes FBS) in that order.

dbackjon
January 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
ETSU usually has a good basketball team and it only expands the OVC a little east. Plus there is always the hope with a new President ETSu could bring back FB). Belmont and Lipscomb are basically in the same place(some conferences don't like that). I didn't think the OVC would go to Alabama back in the day but they have now. ETSU is closer to Morehead St., EKU, & Tenn Tech than Jax St.

If Its me I take UNA, ETSU, & Belmont (if Jacksonville St. goes FBS) in that order.

I really think we will see a shrinking of conference footprints as travel becomes ever more expensive, at least for the smaller conferences.

Belmont and Lipscomb (and I do agree, of the two, Belmont is the more attractive candidate) would give the OVC three Nashville teams. Add TT, AP, Murray and UT-Martin, that is 7 schools within 2 1/2 hours of Nashville. SEMO isn't much further, JSU about 4 hours, EKU about 5. Morehead and EIU are outliers, but not horribly so.

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
here's a map of D-I. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cbd1.PNG

If the OVC wants to get to 12 now it will be ETSU & Belmont (I think) but if they wait until 2011 for a 12th they can get UNA

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I hope Lipscomb stays in the ASC since they haven't been to the tourney yet(if they stay they'll get in the tourney). Belmont & ETSU will be at the top of the ASC most years and have been to the tourney. Lipscomb would have a hard time winning the OVC and getting in.

dbackjon
January 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I hope Lipscomb stays in the ASC since they haven't been to the tourney yet(if they stay they'll get in the tourney). Belmont & ETSU will be at the top of the ASC most years and have been to the tourney. Lipscomb would have a hard time winning the OVC and getting in.

Lipscomb and Belmont battled for the A-Sun title the past couple of years, so Lipscomb's close. They are each other's biggest rivals, located within miles of each other, so it would be best for both to stay together, IMHO.

Maroons
January 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
I hear Sullivan and Spencerian College are thinking about making a move also....then there is the National College of Business, we could always go after them.xchinscratchx

I would just like to say, respectfully, that I can understand the ribbing on NKU. After all, they started as a UK community college and they have roughly half the history of EKU.

But, it is impossible to ignore the signs that NKU is going places. They are already the third largest regional university in Kentucky behind WKU and EKU and many feel it is only a matter of time before they pass both schools because of the foothold they are establishing in greater Cincinnati. Their base is one of the wealthiest areas of Kentucky. I believe their endowment is larger than EKU's. They have developed a reputation as a quality affordable alternative to UC, Xavier, Dayton and Miami in southwestern Ohio. They have a law school. They have these advantages that only Louisville and UK have among Kentucky schools. All of this means that they will be able to pull more money into the school via student fees, sponsorships, partnerships, etc. Those things will eventually translate into a very successful D-I athletic program.

Now, when the time comes that they are ready to go D-I, we can look down our noses with our 100+ years of history and tell them thanks but no thanks and they'll go on their way and do just fine in the Horizon or somewhere else... or we can recognize the potential and add a conference member with the biggest upside since the OVC added Marshall in 1948.

In summation, I think NKU would be a good fit for the OVC when the time comes if they are interested. Before you respond, I will concede immeadiately that I agree that EKU should be exploring alternatives and trying to build some kind of vision for the future of the athletic department.

MoreheadEagle
January 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
This rule probably means Morehead State won't be returning to the OVC in football anytime soon xbawlingx.

I would add Belmont and Lipscomb now to get an even 12 teams then divide in divisions for all sports but football. After JSU leaves then try to add NKU since the moratorium will be over. I don't like the idea of SIU-E, or UNA. Evansville would be a great addition too.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Morehead St. is happy with non-scholly football for the forseeable future... and not to be discounted is the possibility of Belmont and Lipscomb starting non-scholly football up, not to mention Evansville. Indeed, this move seems to be designed to give potential members options for scholly/non-scholly/no football.

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Why not UNA they are a D-II football power.

Will Jacksonville St. still leave the OVC for the FBS even without a conference?

Will Jacksonville St. stay in the OVC for all sports but Fb if they do?(like UL-Monroe did for a few years in the SLC)

Maroons
January 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Will Jacksonville St. still leave the OVC for the FBS even without a conference?

I think this is the central issue for JSU and the move to FBS. Much can change in 4 years... and I think the landscape will have to change for JSU to find a conference home in the FBS.

ekufbfan
January 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I would just like to say, respectfully, that I can understand the ribbing on NKU. After all, they started as a UK community college and they have roughly half the history of EKU.
Before you respond, I will concede immeadiately that I agree that EKU should be exploring alternatives and trying to build some kind of vision for the future of the athletic department.

Any neagtivity towards NKU was more of a comment regarding how stagnet we have become in the OVC. I don't believe any wku fans would be rejoycing in a conference membership with NKU, a former UK community college. I know all that they have going for them, basically because of their location (population and money) and the state legislature giving them a law school a number of years ago. That still does not change the facts of the OVC makeup. Ponder this question. Say NKU comes in, builds on any success they may have , maybe starts a football program and then moves on. How happy are you that we/EKU are complacent enough to still be happy with our lot in the OVC. My point is, this is what has been happening, we have sat by and watched the revolving door to the OVC. How long do we stay, when do we consider (seriously) getting out?xconfusedx

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Where would EKU go?

Cocky
January 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Why not UNA they are a D-II football power.

Will Jacksonville St. stay in the OVC for all sports but Fb if they do?(like UL-Monroe did for a few years in the SLC)

With several schools looking at the move to FBS football maybe a independent can make the move. I'm sure several of the lower conference teams would do a home and home with a newcomer. Add this to a schedule arrangement within the newcomers and you would have the needed home games. In JSU's case if we could do a deal with potential movers Tx State and GSU plus any combination of Troy, UAB, Middle, WKU, South Alabama, Arkansas State or like schools for a couple of more games. This would be four home game then a game against a FCS team would meet the requirements. Then we would have to be on the road for 2 or 3 tough money games.

ekufbfan
January 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Where would EKU go?

Honestly, I do not have an answer to that. But did wku have an answer when they first began looking to leave the OVC, MTSU? How about all the others who have left. I know finding a new home won't be easy and won't happen over night. But I do believe that teams who are considering making a move (NKU? Belmont? Libcomp? ) or teams who have made a move (Marshall? wku? MTSU? Akron? Troy? Central Florida? South Florida? Boise State? need I go on????) at some point must have began the dialogue with the same question, where do we go, what/where do we want to be, what is our future where we are? To NOT ask the question is to be complacent and finding yourself in the same position 10-20 years down the road. I just think it is time EKU is asking THE QUESTION!

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
yeah it would work. I'm sure Auburn or Alabama would give you guys a nice paycheck to come there to see how much they can score on you.

Fresno St. Alum
January 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Honestly, I do not have an answer to that. But did wku have an answer when they first began looking to leave the OVC, MTSU? How about all the others who have left. I know finding a new home won't be easy and won't happen over night. But I do believe that teams who are considering making a move (NKU? Belmont? Libcomp? ) or teams who have made a move (Marshall? wku? MTSU? Akron? Troy? Central Florida? South Florida? Boise State? need I go on????) at some point must have began the dialogue with the same question, where do we go, what/where do we want to be, what is our future where we are? To NOT ask the question is to be complacent and finding yourself in the same position 10-20 years down the road. I just think it is time EKU is asking THE QUESTION!

Id EKU asking it right now? will adding Belmont, Lipscomb, UNA or ETSU to the OVC make them ask it then if they aren't now?

JBB
January 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
SIU-Edwardsville would be better in the Summit.

ekufbfan
January 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Id EKU asking it right now? will adding Belmont, Lipscomb, UNA or ETSU to the OVC make them ask it then if they aren't now?

I have no inside info into the athletic department. I do know that many EKU fans are dissatified with the OVC conference. They do not see that we have helped ourselves at all with the replacements when Akron, YSU, MTSU and wku left. Some might say we are old geezers and just cannot accept the fact that they have left, however, I think we can see the writing on the wall and that is the OVC has almost hit (has hit)rock bottom in terms of respect in both basketball and football. And yes, we certainly are part of that equation. Nevertheless, we don't see that changing at all and with the football requirement dropped, regardless if they say it or not, that appears to be a deemphazing of football. A notion that many OVC teams don't seem to mind. There has always seemed to be sentiment at Murray State that football was taking $$$ away from basketball. At EKU we want both to be successful at the highest level possible and do not want to see the football program suffer because of basketball (or the other way around). The OVC is a very complicated conference, mainly because all of us have budget problems, some more serious than others. Some of us have more resources to draw from because of our location. Some of us have had a lot of football success while other have had very little, etc., etc. I know at one time there was talk if the conference made the move to allow non-football members that EKU would get out. But that was a different president and it seems that all the OVC prez voted for this, so perhaps WHO they bring in will be more of a factor than just the change. It would seem that with budgets, that this change would appear to give an edge to non football schools in terms of MORE $$$ for basketball and all that entails.

Cocky
January 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
yeah it would work. I'm sure Auburn or Alabama would give you guys a nice paycheck to come there to see how much they can score on you.

No, UAT or Auburn are willing to play us. For some reason they seem to believe they would lose to any in state school. Auburn will play some in state schools but JSU and Troy are off limits when it comes to scheduling.

walliver
January 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
I've heard ETSU is unhappy playing in the A-Sun with new teams like UNF, Florida Gulf Coast and USC-Upstate. With a unanimous vote like this, I wonder if the OVC has already made a deal with ETSU.

MoreheadEagle
January 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I've heard ETSU is unhappy playing in the A-Sun with new teams like UNF, Florida Gulf Coast and USC-Upstate. With a unanimous vote like this, I wonder if the OVC has already made a deal with ETSU.

ETSU would be a good addition, as would the two A-Sun Nashville schools. I don't want SIU-E or Northern Alabama.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM

They obviously made the deal to let *somebody* in, and ETSU seems to fit the bill absolutely perfectly. If ETSU wants to reinstate football someday that would simply be gravy - in the meantime ETSU would be full-blown members in the OVC, improving basketball. Seems pretty likely that your hunch is right to me...

BearsCountry
January 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
ETSU would be a good addition, as would the two A-Sun Nashville schools. I don't want SIU-E or Northern Alabama.

North Alabama would help football out in the OVC.

MoreheadEagle
January 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Nine football members is a good number for the OVC. After and if JSU leaves then the OVC needs to get back towards its geographical roots. Add ETSU, Belmont, or Lipscomb and then add NKU in two years.

Fresno St. Alum
January 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
If Jacksonville St. leaves the third school being added needs to be UNA to put them back at 9 FB members

EKU05
January 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Nine football members is a good number for the OVC. After and if JSU leaves then the OVC needs to get back towards its geographical roots. Add ETSU, Belmont, or Lipscomb and then add NKU in two years.

NKU is seriously considering the move, but they are most certainly not simply waiting out the moratorium...and even after they decide to do it there will be transitional periods in which you wouldn't want them actively playing in the league for a number of reasons. They are certainly an option, but an option that is still a long way off.

MoreheadEagle
January 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
If Jacksonville St. leaves the third school being added needs to be UNA to put them back at 9 FB members

If JSU moves to FBS by that time Morehead State might want to make the jump. Lord knows a large group of fans want to. That would give 9 football and possibly NKU. I like JSU but if/when they leave then Tennessee should be as far south as the conference goes.

GeauxLions94
January 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM
North Alabama would help football out in the OVC.

North Alabama would most likely win the OVC in its first year xnodx

Fresno St. Alum
January 24th, 2008, 12:33 AM
UNA has a great team almost every year

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2008, 06:55 AM
North Alabama would most likely win the OVC in its first year xnodxLike Jax?

Panthers_Blue
January 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I dont think the OVC knows what it wants to do. There are so many mid-major conferences that are starting to make a name for themselves on a national stage. You will not see that out of the OVC. Something has to change.

Fresno St. Alum
January 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
good to see you back syntax error