PDA

View Full Version : Event I'd Like To See

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
The Game U Gotta See thread reminded me of a thought I've had and been meaning to ask.

During the Summer I work with a guy who goes every year to the Classic game at the Giants Stadium in NJ. It doesn't matter who plays, he goes. This Summer I plan to ask him if he would go to the event I'm going to propose.

I was thinking about a doubleheader event, obviously has to be at a venue with one of the field turf type surfaces. I'm thinking about a couple of HBCU's along with a couple of non HBCU's that have quality marching bands meeting in NYC, Philly or Baltimore (similar to the current classic at the Meadowlands).

My thoughts were two fold, provide some OOC games outside the normal HBCU schedules without giving up the revenue from Classics as well as provide the rest of the FCS world incentive to experience the Classic Game's atmosphere.

Initial thoughts were something like:

UMass vs. Hampton
Delaware vs. SC State (I was going to say Del State but figured I'd leave that kettle of fish out of the equation for now)

or

UMass vs. Grambling (or Jackson St. or FL A&M or Morgan State or Howard or .......)
JMU vs. Hampton

I started with CAA teams because I'm more familiar with the marching bands and for selfish reasons -- the game would be within driving distance so I could attend. I can think of some variations to be held in Birmingham/Nashville as well as New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Texas that would be pretty good too!

Would the HBCU community support this type of event the same way they do a current classic? Would UMass/UDel/JMU view this event as a positive experience? I wish UNH had a larger marching band because I think it would be great for UNH. As long as this doubleheader didn't compete with an above average UNH game, I know that I'd consider going! For example, not if UNH is playing at West Point, but definitely would skip a game at Dartmouth that occurs every other year.

Seahawks Fan
January 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
The Game U Gotta See thread reminded me of a thought I've had and been meaning to ask.

During the Summer I work with a guy who goes every year to the Classic game at the Giants Stadium in NJ. It doesn't matter who plays, he goes.....

Is he telling his wife this? You do know this game hasn't been played since 2002, right? xconfusedx xconfusedx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Is he telling his wife this? You do know this game hasn't been played since 2002, right? xconfusedx xconfusedx

OK, I don't know about any of that, but let's not get off on a tangent. What did you think about the doubleheader event?

bluehenbillk
January 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM
We still get flack about playing West Chester, not a lot of difference playing a MEAC school. The UD/DSU debacle of a playoff game settled that mess I thought.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
We still get flack about playing West Chester, not a lot of difference playing a MEAC school. The UD/DSU debacle of a playoff game settled that mess I thought.

Geez, I knew I shouldn't have even mentioned UD/DSU. xrolleyesx

Big difference in playing a MEAC school -- they count as a D-I win. One of these days it could be UD on the outside looking in because of that seven D-I wins guideline. xwhistlex

Just for argument sake, can you step beyond the MEAC. How about if it was a Delaware-Grambling match-up in the type of event I proposed?

Skjellyfetti
January 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM
The UD/DSU debacle of a playoff game settled that mess I thought.

So I guess App shouldn't play Delaware anymore?