PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Convention - autobid scholarship requirements defeated

UAalum72
January 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM
The Ohio Valley Conference-sponsored proposal 2007-101 requiring 50 scholarships or spending minimums for conference autobid selection, and 2007-108 requiring a six-win minimum with five wins against 'qualifying' institution to even get an at-large bid, were both DEFEATED at the NCAA convention this week.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.LSDBi_LP_Search.D1_DisplayProposal?p_ID=2092&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1&p_BylawTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_IntentTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupli cated&p_RationaleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDu plicated

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.LSDBi_LP_Search.D1_DisplayProposal?p_ID=2095&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1&p_BylawTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_IntentTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupli cated&p_RationaleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDu plicated

xhurrayx

FCS Preview
January 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
The Ohio Valley Conference-sponsored proposal 2007-101 requiring 50 scholarships or spending minimums for conference autobid selection, and 2007-108 requiring a six-win minimum with five wins against 'qualifying' institution to even get an at-large bid, were both DEFEATED at the NCAA convention this week.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.LSDBi_LP_Search.D1_DisplayProposal?p_ID=2092&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1&p_BylawTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_IntentTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupli cated&p_RationaleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDu plicated

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.LSDBi_LP_Search.D1_DisplayProposal?p_ID=2095&p_HeadFoot=1&p_CallCount=1&p_BylawTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDuplic ated&p_IntentTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDupli cated&p_RationaleTerms=ThisIsADummyPhraseThatWillNotBeDu plicated

xhurrayx

Big deal. The next time a team gets an at-large berth with only six wins -- and only 5 against D-I competition, will be the first.

UAalum72
January 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Big deal. The next time a team gets an at-large berth with only six wins -- and only 5 against D-I competition, will be the first.
Not just against D-I competition, but against 'qualifying' institutions, which means wins against the NEC, Pioneer, and maybe even the Ivy wouldn't count, plus those leagues could go undefeated non-conference and still not qualify, plus we don't know if every MEAC or SWAC or any other school qualifies either.

I guess the OVC will have to actually have to start winning some games to make sure it keeps its autobid.

Seahawks Fan
January 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM
It is a big deal for the Northeast Conference. xbeerchugx

danefan
January 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM
xthumbsupx

Full steam ahead to 18 teams!

FWIW, I think these proposals being shot down might actually hurt the OVC more then they help the NEC.

Have the members of the NCAA realized that the OVC is grasping at straws to stay a two-bid league? Looks a little bit like that.

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Well, what do you know, the OVC loses again! Fortunately, based on recent OVC playoff experience, they have a great deal of experience in losing, so this is probably no big deal for them!

Man, I cannot wait until Morehead State defeats EKU this year!

citdog
January 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Well, what do you know, the OVC loses again! Fortunately, based on recent OVC playoff experience, they have a great deal of experience in losing, so this is probably no big deal for them!

Man, I cannot wait until Morehead State defeats EKU this year!

you little non scholly or need based aid or whatever you call it just need to play div II or III where you belong. you drag the whole subdivision down.

citdog
January 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM

the name of your conference makes me sick to my stomach

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
you little non scholly or need based aid or whatever you call it just need to play div II or III where you belong. you drag the whole subdivision down.

Says the fan of "FCS power" the Citadel.... I really think it is unfair for you to talk about the Ivy League that way....xnodx

TheValleyRaider
January 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Good, no need for more subdivision within the subdivision, as it were xsmileyclapx

citdog
January 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Says the fan of "FCS power" the Citadel.... I really think it is unfair for you to talk about the Ivy League that way....xnodx

WE ARE GOING TO PUT THAT PUPPY TO BED THIS SEASON AS PRINCETON COMES TO CHARLESTON.

Dane96
January 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
the name of your conference makes me sick to my stomach

Well, maybe y'all should have followed the gumption of Col. Rip Ford at Palmito Ranch and kept fighting...instead of surrendering-- WE could then be called the Northeast Conference of the Confederate Football Championship Subdivision.xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx :D

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 09:58 AM

According to The College Football Data Warehouse, the Citadel has been playing FCS football since 1982. Since that time, the Citadel has a record of 128-160-2.... Exactly who is dragging down the subdivision?xlolx

By the way, Dayton has been playing FCS football since 1993. Why don't you look up our record since we joined FCS?

Dane96
January 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, and why dont you look at Dayton's schedule during that team. Hardly world beaters on that schedule.

OY...every single post is injected with this stuff....

Go...gate
January 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM

..and, to some extent, for the Patriot League. Don't we have 2-3 members who have dropped below 50 "equivalencies"?

Go...gate
January 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Didn't you guys polish off the Webber International "Fighting Propane Grills" last season?

citdog
January 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
According to The College Football Data Warehouse, the Citadel has been playing FCS football since 1982. Since that time, the Citadel has a record of 128-160-2.... Exactly who is dragging down the subdivision?xlolx

By the way, Dayton has been playing FCS football since 1993. Why don't you look up our record since we joined FCS?

and any of those teams that we have had that fight so hard and WERE out talented every week would have destroyed your cute little team worse than we destroyed VMI last season. compete against some competition that isn't pathetically weak and then come looking for respect. dayton is not even worth my time to smack you down.

"why dayton i forgot you were there. you may go now"

citdog
January 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Didn't you guys polish off the Webber International "Fighting Propane Grills" last season?

yes we did. and it's about time we had a game like that. playing two FBS schools a year is getting old. we play among the toughest schedules in the entire country every year.

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
..and, to some extent, for the Patriot League. Don't we have 2-3 members who have dropped below 50 "equivalencies"?

Someone dropped below 50? Georgetown wasn't there to begin with.

Maroons
January 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I find this move perplexing from an OVC fan point of view. Where did it come from? I have heard nothing of it save on this board. And who is the current chair of the OVC President's Athletic Committee? I think the OVC has far more pressing needs to address than lobbying for NCAA legislation like this.

JDC325
January 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Agree and please I am no fan of THE Citadel but you non schollie wanna bees should never be calling out a SoCon team on anything. Yes the occasional non schollie manages to beat a decent scholly team once and awhile but the division having NO scholarship minimums and schools having there football team in D I just so their basketball team can get a shot a the tournament makes our division a joke to a lot of folks. Schools that have no interest in fully funding a football team and giving them the best chance to win should not be given the privilege to play D-I football.

DetroitFlyer
January 18th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Agree and please I am no fan of THE Citadel but you non schollie wanna bees should never be calling out a SoCon team on anything. Yes the occasional non schollie manages to beat a decent scholly team once and awhile but the division having NO scholarship minimums and schools having there football team in D I just so their basketball team can get a shot a the tournament makes our division a joke to a lot of folks. Schools that have no interest in fully funding a football team and giving them the best chance to win should not be given the privilege to play D-I football.

Yep, here we have another classic FBS wannabee. Quit your complaining and have your program man up, provide 85 scholarships, draw 15K fans, and be on your merry way. If there is a problem in FCS, it is because of FBS wannabees like you.

UAalum72
January 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
schools having there football team in D I just so their basketball team can get a shot a the tournament makes our division a joke to a lot of folks.
No, those schools are never even HEARD of by most people. What makes 'your' 'division' a joke to a lot of folks are scores that make it to the ESPN ticker like

L 8/30 Weber State, 7 ; Boise State, 56
L 8/30 SE Missouri St, 3 ; Cincinnati, 59
L 8/30 Murray State, 10 ; Louisville, 73
L 9/1 Western Carolina, 6 ; Alabama, 52
L 9/1 Northern Colorado, 6 ; Hawaii, 63
L 9/1 Indiana State, 7 ; Indiana, 55
L 9/1 Eastern Ky, 10 ; Kentucky, 50
L 9/1 Youngstown St, 6 ; Ohio State, 38
L 9/8 Maine, 0 ; Connecticut, 38
L 9/8 Samford, 14 ; Georgia Tech, 69
L 9/8 Eastern Ill, 6 ; Purdue, 52
L 9/15 Western Carolina, 16 ; Georgia, 45
L 9/15 Missouri State, 10 ; Kansas State, 61
L 9/15 Nicholls State, 17 ; Nevada, 52
L 9/15 Idaho State, 10 ; Oregon State, 61
L 9/15 Norfolk State, 0 ; Rutgers, 59
L 9/22 Char Southern, 10 ; Hawaii, 66
L 9/22 Sacramento St, 0 ; New Mexico, 58
L 9/22 William & Mary, 3 ; Virginia Tech, 44
L 9/29 Sam Houston St, 3 ; Oklahoma State, 39
L 9/29 Northwestern St, 7 ; Texas Tech, 75
L 11/24 Texas Southern, 6 ; Houston, 59

OL FU
January 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM

CCSU 17 GaSU 13

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Of course I think they had about 15 scholarships or so that yearxnodx

Dane96
January 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
CCSU 17 GaSU 13

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually, the probably had 2 scholarship players that year. Like Albany, CCSU red-shirted most of that first year scholarship class.

walliver
January 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
xthumbsupx

Have the members of the NCAA realized that the OVC is grasping at straws to stay a two-bid league? Looks a little bit like that.

The OVC is not really a two-bid league. This year's result, with an at-large bid, was an accident of history. The Committee apparently decided not to invite a less than full scholarship team, and decided not to violate the 7-DI-win guideline (it is not an absolute rule). As a result, they were dredging the bottom of the barrel to find at-large teams. Generally, the OVC just gets a one-and-done autobid.

danefan
January 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
The OVC is not really a two-bid league. This year's result, with an at-large bid, was an accident of history. The Committee apparently decided not to invite a less than full scholarship team, and decided not to violate the 7-DI-win guideline (it is not an absolute rule). As a result, they were dredging the bottom of the barrel to find at-large teams. Generally, the OVC just gets a one-and-done autobid.

OVC has had two teams in the playoffs 17 times since 1979 and 3 times in the last 6 years. Sure, its not a lock for two teams like the Socon or CAA, but its more of a two-bid conference then the Patriot league.
xpeacex

EKU05
January 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

I'm not arguing that the OVC is among the stronger conferences, but this was the second consecutive season we've gotten more than one bid. Both of the teams this year struggled, but didn't get completely blown out. EKU fumbled twice inside the 10 (once inside the 3) and was still in the game in the fourth quarter.

Last year UTM and EIU were both very competative in their losses. The OVC is bad, but it's very slowly becoming less horrible than it was a few years ago. Not fast enough though...at least for my taste.

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Methinks that Steinbrecher was aware this would not pass, it said so basically on the agenda. Some want clear lines drawn, but not drawn tight enough to leave them out. Sound like FBS standards? Sound hypocritical?

JDC325
January 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
CCSU 17 GaSU 13

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Let VanGorder blow up your team and see how you would do. That was the worst GSU team in history and it was still considered and UPSET. Please lets keep things above moronic isolated examples that allways dominate these threads. Atleast CCSU is making an effort to fund some schollies.

OL FU
January 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Let VanGorder blow up your team and see how you would do. That was the worst GSU team in history and it was still considered and UPSET. Please lets keep things above moronic isolated examples that allways dominate these threads. Atleast CCSU is making an effort to fund some schollies.

Can't take a joke:p xcoolx