PDA

View Full Version : Former Oklahoma State QB Reid To Texas Southern?

3rd Coast Tiger
January 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Former Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid has declared for the National Football League Draft.

Former Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid said Tuesday he would consider withdrawing his name from the NFL draft if Texas Southern is able to get a waiver from the NCAA that would allow him to play there.

“I’m fired up about it,” Reid told Houston television station KRIV. “If I gotta go, I’m going to go and take care of business the way I know how and try to bring a championship to TSU.”

More: http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=oklahoma-state-qb-reid-considering-trans&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

already123
January 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Would be a great addition if they could get him. The QB position has haunted TSU for sometime now.

Keeper
January 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Reid is still shown on the NFL draft list as of the 15th,
the last day for inclusion. Looks like he's going pro.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Reid is still shown on the NFL draft list as of the 15th,
the last day for inclusion. Looks like he's going pro.

There is a 72 hour window from yesterday (Tuesday) for him to withdraw his name if the waiver is granted.

already123
January 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
but will it happen

3rd Coast Tiger
January 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
but will it happen

The NCAA grants/denies waivers on Tuesdays and Thursdays so we'll know something by tomorrow.

thirdgendin
January 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
How old is the coach at Texas Southern? Is is 40? Is he a MAN? xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
January 18th, 2008, 11:48 PM
"Looks like he's going pro" No he's not.
"But will it happen" Yes, it happened.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=5528664&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Texas Southern Lands Reid
Former OSU QB to Transfer

HOUSTON -- Texas Southern University head coach Johnnie Cole told FOX 26 Sports Friday former Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid will transfer to TSU.

Reid, who enrolled in Texas Southern's graduate school Thursday graduated from Oklahoma State in December but still has one year of eligibility remaining. Reid needed a waiver from the NCAA to be able to transfer to TSU and Cole told FOX 26 that waiver was granted earlier Friday.

"I've been doing a lot of thinking the past few hours," said Reid in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "There were some questions about myself I needed to answer and going this route is the best way for me to do it right now."

slycat
January 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
nice addition. now y'all need to schedule shsu so he can play bomar.xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
January 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
nice addition. now y'all need to schedule shsu so he can play bomar.xlolx

Not happening.

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Not happening.

Of course not...it's a shame.

Atleast we get to see them in every other sport (and more often than not, get the 'W's)...xnodx

Good pub for Texas Southern. Not on the scale of Rhett Bomar, but TxSo is sure loving the pub. Will they capitalize on this in recruiting?

3rd Coast Tiger
January 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Of course not...it's a shame.

Atleast we get to see them in every other sport (and more often than not, get the 'W's)...xnodx

Good pub for Texas Southern. Not on the scale of Rhett Bomar, but TxSo is sure loving the pub. Will they capitalize on this in recruiting?

Hey Texas State, we got your contract on our General Counsel's desk but nothing from Huntsville. xlolx

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
How old is the coach at Texas Southern? Is is 40? Is he a MAN? xlolxxconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think he is older than 40 and male.
TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY
Head Coach Johnnie Cole

Johnnie Cole enters his first season as Head Football Coach at Texas Southern University. He brings more than twenty years of coaching experience to TSU.

Cole was the Head Coach at Lane College for three years. During his leadership as head coach, he has the largest win/loss record turn-around in the school’s history. He is also responsible for the first back-to-back winning seasons in Lane’s history (2006-2007 & 2007-2008).

The 2007-2008 offense ranked second in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) and the defense ranked 12th among all Division II programs in the country. Three players from that team, Virgil Union, Ed Williams and Floyd Stanford played in the 2007-2008 East Coast All-Star Game which is ranked 25th in the American Football Coaches Poll, ranked in the top ten Mid-HBCU Football 2006 Poll and ranked tenth overall in the Sheridan Black College Poll. Also under his leadership, his team ranked third overall in the SIAC, first in total offense (2006), first in passing offense (2005 and 2006) and second in scoring (2006).

Coach Cole was named SIAC Coach of the year and 100% Wrong Club Coach of the year in 2006. He coached the SIAC player of the year for 2006; Jacoby R. Jones, who had 2098 all purpose yards in one season and was drafted by the Houston Texans.

Under his leadership, two members of his coaching staff were elevated to head coaching positions: Coach Rich Freeman is the current Head Football Coach at Morehouse College and Coach Darius Sneed was named Head Football Coach at Lane College.

Coach Cole has been the wide receivers coach at Arizona Western (2004), offensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Alabama State University (2000 – 2003), Tennessee State University (1996 – 1999), and Southwestern College (1991). He also held coaching positions at University of Cincinnati, Southern University, Texas Southern University and Hamburg Blue Devils of NFL Europe.

Coach Cole is known for engineering the HOBO offense (high octane big play offense). While at Alabama State, he won two Divisional East SWAC Championships, coached the player of the year, Darnell Kennedy, his offense ranked sixth in the nation in scoring (37.5 pg), third in total offense (486.0 ypg), and sixth in passing (293 ypg). Coach Cole is credited with playing a major role in the success of NCAA Division I-AA quarterback Darnell Kennedy who ranks fourth nationally in passing (11,580 yds), third in total yards (12,650 yds), and third in touchdown passes (101).

During Coach Cole’s tenure at Tennessee State in 1998, he won back to back Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) Championships, coached back to back offensive player of the year, Quarterback Leon Murry and wide receiver Tyron Butterfield, his offenses lead the OVC in every offensive category in 1999. In addition, his offenses ranked third nationally in NCAA Division I-AA in scoring (39.1 ppg), fourth in total offense (468 ypg), and fifth in passing (305 ypg).

During his 20 years of coaching, he had the pleasure of training several athletes who took those skills to perform in the National Football League (NFL).

Coach Cole is a native of Dayton, Ohio. He earned a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering in 1986 from Texas Southern University where he also played quarterback.
http://www.tsu.edu/athletics/mens-sports/football/bio.asp

813Jag
January 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think he is older than 40 and male.
Thirdgendin was making a joke based on the statement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VytIZZzee0) made by OSU Coach Mike Gundy.

TexasTerror
January 25th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hey Texas State, we got your contract on our General Counsel's desk but nothing from Huntsville. xlolx

That's great that you fellas are playing Texas State - San Marcos. That will probably be one of the toughest tests for Bobby Reid on the slate as far as FCS foes go...

No worries about a lack of TxSo-SHSU game. We're hoping to see the better of the two local Houston area FCS programs in the SWAC, PVA&M... :)

thirdgendin
January 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Thirdgendin was making a joke based on the statement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VytIZZzee0) made by OSU Coach Mike Gundy.

I was just making sure that Reid will still have a coach who sticks up for him when necessary. xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
January 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
That's great that you fellas are playing Texas State - San Marcos. That will probably be one of the toughest tests for Bobby Reid on the slate as far as FCS foes go...

All I said was the contract was on the "table" nothing signed and may not. You don't know the other three games that's on the table so don't assume if the Texas State will be his toughest test or not.

blackcaesar3k5
January 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
TSU is serious about being contenders within SWAC Confernece. I heard you guys hire Melvin Spears and Green.

TexasTerror
January 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM
All I said was the contract was on the "table" nothing signed and may not. You don't know the other three games that's on the table so don't assume if the Texas State will be his toughest test or not.

The game has been signed -- the Bobcats announced it.

As it relates to the other three games, wasn't one of them like Stillman or Langston or some other HBCU from the lower levels?

I wouldn't expect the Tigers to play any other non-HBCU FCS squads, so my statement stands -- the toughest FCS foe the Tigers face all year may be Texas State - San Marcos...as I don't see the Tigers playing any of the cream of the crop (as I think all their schedules are announced from the top of the MEAC)...

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
The game has been signed -- the Bobcats announced it.

As it relates to the other three games, wasn't one of them like Stillman or Langston or some other HBCU from the lower levels?

I wouldn't expect the Tigers to play any other non-HBCU FCS squads, so my statement stands -- the toughest FCS foe the Tigers face all year may be Texas State - San Marcos...as I don't see the Tigers playing any of the cream of the crop (as I think all their schedules are announced from the top of the MEAC)...

Jackson State/Grambling/Southern University will be TxSU toughest competition this season bar none, unless they have a FBS school on their schedule.

TexasTerror
January 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Jackson State/Grambling/Southern University will be TxSU toughest competition this season bar none, unless they have a FBS school on their schedule.

This is where we leave the smack off the FCS discussion board...xnodx

The Bobcats are going to be a very strong side this year and have a relatively easy schedule that will play to their favor. It's hard for me to not say that any SLC team is better than a SWAC squad based upon what we've seen in recent years and will most likely see renewed again this year...

slycat
January 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM

i look forward to playing yall again. i missed the game last time and hope to make it to this one.