PDA

View Full Version : Why no FCS all star game ?

Old Cat Fan
January 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Was wondering why the FCS conferences couldn't put together an allstar bowl game. How bout at the UNI dome. I'm sure all the die hard UNI fans would support it. Just a thought xnodx

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe even at Florida A&M..... FCS fans can plan their vacations around it... get some nice fun in the sun and watch some football

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM
They tried and it fell through. I just don't see it ever happening.

ERASU2113
January 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It would be great, but I wouldn't see many people going...except for the hardcore fans and who would pick it up? ESPN and put in on ESPNU?

Who owuld watch it even?

already123
January 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I dont see why not...esp with the recent exposure FCS play has been getting lately. I feel we are starting to get more of the respect we deserve.

bonarae
January 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Why not? It will be one more all-star game for our players to consider, besides the Senior Bowls already offered to seniors in both FBS and FCS (and even some D2 seniors as well).

If I'm not mistaken, is there an all-star game for the FBS players only? The Bowls that I know of are both for seniors in FBS and FCS.

Missingnumber7
January 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM
D2 had the Snow bowl in fargo for a couple years. I think we are starting to see more FCS players make appearances in the senior bowls and hula bowls.

813Jag
January 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Maybe even at Florida A&M..... FCS fans can plan their vacations around it... get some nice fun in the sun and watch some football
You've never been to Tallahassee have you? xlolx Maybe Daytona will be better. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
January 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
The main issue, as someone alluded to, is a vast majority of the top FCS prospects would still go to the Senior, Hula and Shrine bowls.

That means that the FCS game gets the leftovers.

already123
January 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
its still a bowl game. I know of plenty of people who get over looked that just needed that one opportunity to shine

Cobblestone
January 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I think there was something similar to this in Houston a year or two ago. It was called the Inta Juice North-South All-Star Classic. I'm not sure if it was all divisions or just FCS.

mcveyrl
January 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM
its still a bowl game. I know of plenty of people who get over looked that just needed that one opportunity to shine

If you shine and nobody watches, does it matter??

The other senior bowl games (and their practices more importantly) are watched by numerous NFL scouts. It's nice for the NFL teams because it's efficient scouting.

The key for an FCS game would be: will it draw enough talent that it's efficient for the NFL team to go? I think the answer's no (but can be convinced otherwise).

Plus, there's the whole issue of: sure, you looked like Joe Montana, but it was against FCS, big deal. I don't think many NFL teams/scouts would stand up and take notice of an earth shattering performance in this game.

mcveyrl
January 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I think there was something similar to this in Houston a year or two ago. It was called the Inta Juice North-South All-Star Classic. I'm not sure if it was all divisions or just FCS.

I think that game was all of the divisions below FBS. This game makes a little more sense given that you could pool all of the true prospects from all the "lower" divisions.

Appinator
January 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I think it would be hard to get the resources there to make it worth everyones while. These games aren't really there for the finished result; they are around for the week of practice that leads up to the game. It's kind of like an unofficial pre-combine opportunity for kids who might not get the combine invite to get noticed.

It might also foster the mentality that ALL FCS players should go to this game, and that our guys wouldn't get a look competing with all of the kids from the larger programs.

kardplayer
January 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM

The other senior bowl games (and their practices more importantly) are watched by numerous NFL scouts. It's nice for the NFL teams because it's efficient scouting.

The key for an FCS game would be: will it draw enough talent that it's efficient for the NFL team to go? I think the answer's no (but can be convinced otherwise).

If there's a need for efficient scouting anywhere, its at the FCS level. 10%+ of NFL players are FCS alum. There are a lot fewer NFL caliber players in any given FCS game, and the locations are a lot more far flung than a BCS team (generally). I'm guessing its a lot easier/cost effective to get to Ann Arbor to see a dozen or more players than it is to get to Boone and see 2 or 3 (for example).

mcveyrl
January 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM
If there's a need for efficient scouting anywhere, its at the FCS level. 10%+ of NFL players are FCS alum. There are a lot fewer NFL caliber players in any given FCS game, and the locations are a lot more far flung than a BCS team (generally). I'm guessing its a lot easier/cost effective to get to Ann Arbor to see a dozen or more players than it is to get to Boone and see 2 or 3 (for example).

Do you have a website to back up that 10% stat? That seems high, but if I see it somewhere reputable I'll buy it.
Plus, the chances are a good majority of those that are in the NFL end up at one of the 4 or 5 senior bowls.

henfan
January 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Of course, if the NCAA packaged together an all-star game with the award ceremony and championship game, it could make a more worthwhile weekend even for fans of those schools not participating in the championship game. If you did something like that in a warm weather destination city, even more people might be inclined to go.

(That said, I'm all for the NC being played in Chattanooga until a deal like that could be put together.)

mcveyrl
January 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Of course, if the NCAA packaged together an all-star game with the award ceremony and championship game, it could make a more worthwhile weekend even for fans of those schools not participating in the championship game. If you did something like that in a warm weather destination city, even more people might be inclined to go.

(That said, I'm all for the NC being played in Chattanooga until a deal like that could be put together.)

That's a new spin and I like it! Then, it's not so much an NFL tune up as another event on Championship weekend.