PDA

View Full Version : UMass Releases Schedule

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Includes 12 games with a home game against Bryant.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89843

Day Date Opponent Location
Saturday August 30 ALBANY McGuirk Stadium
Saturday September 6 at Holy Cross Worcester, Mass.
Saturday September 13 at James Madison* Harrisonburg, Va.
Saturday September 20 at Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas
Saturday September 27 OPEN DATE
Saturday October 4 DELAWARE* McGuirk Stadium
Saturday October 11 at Northeastern* Brookline, Mass.
Saturday October 18 RICHMOND* (Homecoming)McGuirk Stadium
Saturday October 25 BRYANT (Band Day) McGuirk Stadium
Saturday November 1 at Rhode Island* Kingston, R.I.
Saturday November 8 MAINE* McGuirk Stadium
Saturday November 15 at New Hampshire * Durham, N.H.
Saturday November 22 HOFSTRA* McGuirk Stadium

AZGrizFan
January 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Includes 12 games with a home game against Bryant.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89843

Day Date Opponent Location
Saturday August 30 ALBANY McGuirk Stadium
Saturday September 6 at Holy Cross Worcester, Mass.
Saturday September 13 at James Madison* Harrisonburg, Va.
Saturday September 20 at Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas
Saturday September 27 OPEN DATE
Saturday October 4 DELAWARE* McGuirk Stadium
Saturday October 11 at Northeastern* Brookline, Mass.
Saturday October 18 RICHMOND* (Homecoming)McGuirk Stadium
Saturday October 25 BRYANT (Band Day) McGuirk Stadium
Saturday November 1 at Rhode Island* Kingston, R.I.
Saturday November 8 MAINE* McGuirk Stadium
Saturday November 15 at New Hampshire * Durham, N.H.
Saturday November 22 HOFSTRA* McGuirk Stadium

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Looks like UMass ain't dodging any of the big boys this year! JMU, Delaware, Richmond, UNH and Hofstra! I'm gonna guess 8-4 with that record, losing to JMU, UNH, Texas Tech and one of either Richmond, UD, or Hofstra.

Go...gate
January 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Nice schedule. Sorry the Colgate-UMass series is done, for now.

dgreco
January 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
so bryant has 3 games now. RMU, Iona, UMass. With the possibility of Stony Brook still.

I am surprised Umass and Bryant are playing, that should be a blow out for UMass.

Other than that it looks like UMass has a pretty tough schedule. I see about 2 or 3 easy games maybe, and some of the "easy games" those teams play UMass hard.

umassfan
January 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Looks like UMass ain't dodging any of the big boys this year! JMU, Delaware, Richmond, UNH and Hofstra! I'm gonna guess 8-4 with that record, losing to JMU, UNH, Texas Tech and one of either Richmond, UD, or Hofstra.

Delaware will have a new QB and Cuff will be gone therefore I dont see them as a tough test. Also UNH will drop off without Santos... I dont care how good tolleman looked in his one game.

umassfan
January 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
so bryant has 3 games now. RMU, Iona, UMass. With the possibility of Stony Brook still.

I am surprised Umass and Bryant are playing, that should be a blow out for UMass.

Other than that it looks like UMass has a pretty tough schedule. I see about 2 or 3 easy games maybe, and some of the "easy games" those teams play UMass hard.

We are playing Bryant prob for a few reasons. One main one may be to let Coen play against a school he grew up near as a child. Plus they are in transition for FCS and we needed an easy victory to add to our tough schedule.

ChickenMan
January 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Delaware will have a new QB and Cuff will be gone therefore I dont see them as a tough test.

You have to open your eyes in order to see... xrolleyesx

appstate38
January 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Lots of potential landmines on that schedule.

danefan
January 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Congrats to Bryant. That's the way to start your FCS life.

Interesting....Bryant has now officially scheduled a CAA team....see how easy it is Dayton?

DetroitFlyer
January 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Interesting....Bryant has now officially scheduled a CAA team....see how easy it is Dayton?

I see how easy it is, just like the NEC champion scheduling a loss against the PFL champion the last two years. Looks to me that Bryant is looking to gain some experience losing FCS games.... You know, just in case they win the NEC and have to lose the Gridiron Classic to the PFL....

Cobblestone
January 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hopefully it'll rain in R.I. on Nov. 1st. I seem to recall a rainy day last season.....xwhistlex

Col Hogan
January 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Dayton does not have the Huevos to schedule a CAA team...they would be exposed and their supporters would lose the ability to whine...

Col Hogan
January 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hopefully it'll rain in R.I. on Nov. 1st. I seem to recall a rainy day last season.....xwhistlex

Or, it could be sunny and we get back for last year...xlolx xlolx

Either way...URI always plays us tough...xpeacex

danefan
January 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I see how easy it is, just like the NEC champion scheduling a loss against the PFL champion the last two years. Looks to me that Bryant is looking to gain some experience losing FCS games.... You know, just in case they win the NEC and have to lose the Gridiron Classic to the PFL....

This has nothing to do with whose better, as you are claiming. Dayton was better than Albany on December 1st. That has absolutely nothing to do with scheduling.

What does have to do with scheduling is the PLAYOFFS!
The NEC schedules for the playoffs. Are we there yet - no.

dgreco
January 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Or, it could be sunny and we get back for last year...xlolx xlolx

Either way...URI always plays us tough...xpeacex

I always find that interesting about URI. They see to play the top tier teams well. Maybe with the new coach they can play consistently.

I Think it is good Bryant got the game with UMass. I wonder if they will get a home game back or it will be a travel to them for a few years type thing. I am sure they will be making some decent money to from the game.

Along the line of other people. I do not see their schedule being that easy. I see Northeastern, Maine, and Bryant has 3 definite wins, I think the other games will all be tough good games.

Dane96
January 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Never use Northeastern vs. UMASS as a definite win. Too much bad blood...plus you never know what NU team will decide to show up; the playoff buster team...or the pushover team.

Dayton Flyer-- Enjoy Urbana, Central State, and whatever other patsies you have. Cue: ALBANY MUST BE A PATSY (along with the NEC champs in the past) BECAUSE THE PFL BEAT THEM.

YAWN!

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
If Dayton ain't willing to schedule a team like UMass then Dayton has no business complaining about not making the playoffs.

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Never use Northeastern vs. UMASS as a definite win. Too much bad blood...plus you never know what NU team will decide to show up; the playoff buster team...or the pushover team.

Dayton Flyer-- Enjoy Urbana, Central State, and whatever other patsies you have. Cue: ALBANY MUST BE A PATSY (along with the NEC champs in the past) BECAUSE THE PFL BEAT THEM.

YAWN!
you cant really count any CAA game as a definite win... really who in their wildest dreams would have predicted UNH to lose to northeastern in 2006 and 2007????

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM

With three mates as all sports members of the A-10, you'd think it would be fairly simple for Dayton to schedule a CAA team (UMass, URI or Richmond). xwhistlex

Col Hogan
January 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
you cant really count any CAA game as a definite win... really who in their wildest dreams would have predicted UNH to lose to northeastern in 2006 and 2007????

Or UMass to URI in 2007...T-Man, you are so correct...

The CAA is a crap-shoot every Saturday....I love it!!!!!!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
With three mates as all sports members of the A-10, you'd think it would be fairly simple for Dayton to schedule a CAA team (UMass, URI or Richmond). xwhistlex

Using that logic you'd think UNH could get a game with Albany.:(

Col Hogan
January 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Well, at least I know where I'll be on the 13th of September...xhypedx xhypedx

Already planning the tailgate at JMU...looking forward to the trip...xnodx

Any UMass folks who are in the DC area, or can get here...I have room for three more in the truck...some good food...

Gotta plan ahead...

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I think the issue there was that Albany had plans for so many CAA games they probably coulda snuck into the conference standings xlolx xlolx xlolx

Someone had to be a victim of their ambitious plans and I think the fact that Santos is gone they looked at UNH as the weakest of the planned CAA games...

Albany surely wants to play tough CAA games and hopes to win and make a run at the playoffs.

The planned games I believe included UNH, UMass, Delaware and Hofstra

ERASU2113
January 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Wow....can UMass even make it through that schedule with a 8-4, 9-3 record?

Even if they can is there enough gas in the tank for that + a run in the playoffs? Good luck.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I know we can't pay as much as UD or UMass....money talks

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Well, we did GET the game, just couldn't keep it! :p

Umass74
January 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Eight of the eleven DI teams had seven wins or better. xeekx

dgreco
January 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Eight of the eleven DI teams had seven wins or better. xeekx

and the DII team had 9 :D

Seawolf97
January 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Great schedule! Good for Byrant also- the experience will help them down the road. They are not dodging any bulletsxthumbsupx

WrenFGun
January 15th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Delaware will have a new QB and Cuff will be gone therefore I dont see them as a tough test. Also UNH will drop off without Santos... I dont care how good tolleman looked in his one game.

I'll tell you, you do one heck of a job of riling me up during the offseason. You were right about UNH not being in UMass' class next season, but UNH WILL break the streak against UMass this time, particularly in Durham. Good luck with that schedule, too. You could easily start 1-3 or 2-2.

Credit to the UMass officials, of course. Great schedule.

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'll tell you, you do one heck of a job of riling me up during the offseason. You were right about UNH not being in UMass' class next season, but UNH WILL break the streak against UMass this time, particularly in Durham. Good luck with that schedule, too. You could easily start 1-3 or 2-2.

Just read his signature... he proudly admits he don't know what he's talking about xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

umassfan
January 16th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Lets just face it... till UNH learns that Defense is apart of football then they will not beat us again. It sucks that Santos had to grad because Brown enjoyed making him look foolish after Ball left. Good luck next season though... we will take another one from you at your place again. Enjoy!

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Dayton does not have the Huevos to schedule a CAA team...they would be exposed and their supporters would lose the ability to whine...

Exposed... Yep, I guess Dayton "exposed" Patriot League Champion Fordham, at Fordham last year. I also seem to recall that old Fordham held their own against one of those vaunted CAA teams in the playoffs.

Try again!

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM

YAWN!

Dayton has not released a schedule for 2008, and I doubt that they will until much later in the year.... Why? I have no idea.... But, I have heard rumblings that we will be playing a 12 game schedule, with the only sub-FCS game against Central State! I am not a fan of playing Division II Central State, but it turned out to be the second best attended game at Dayton in decades. ( Even better than when Yale played in Dayton ). ( San Diego was first last year on Parents Weekend ). So, since we do not play "money games", ( read scheduling losses ), I can live with one sub-FCS game that generates excellent attendance. Our OOC games will probably be hosting Fordham, hosting a NEC team, and playing a NEC team on the road, in addition to Central State. It sure would be interesting to run the table and then listen to the lame excuses as to why a PFL team that is 11-0 against FCS competition, 12-0 overall, does not get invited to the playoffs.... I doubt it will happen as Dayton loses a ton of senior talent.... But with Mike Kelly at the helm, you never know....

WrenFGun
January 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Lets just face it... till UNH learns that Defense is apart of football then they will not beat us again. It sucks that Santos had to grad because Brown enjoyed making him look foolish after Ball left. Good luck next season though... we will take another one from you at your place again. Enjoy!

Oh, good grief. With the exception of this year's win, where UNH was depleted (and note the TD that the referees gave to UMass when both players had the ball, and not the horrible fumble call that led to a UMass drive continuing), UNH has given UMass all they could handle. Two goaline stops on fourth down were the only things preventing OT in both games in 2006.

Yes, UNH's defense has not played particularly well, but they've been in the games. They end the drought this year.

Col Hogan
January 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Exposed... Yep, I guess Dayton "exposed" Patriot League Champion Fordham, at Fordham last year. I also seem to recall that old Fordham held their own against one of those vaunted CAA teams in the playoffs.

Try again!

Last time I checked, football is PLAYED ON THE FIELD...

You can play all the comparisons in your mind and assume they are real...but until you ACTUALLY PLAY, they are worthless...

I'll repeat...Dayton does not have the guts to schedule a CAA Team...

Try again... xcoffeex

89Hen
January 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Delaware will have a new QB and Cuff will be gone therefore I dont see them as a tough test.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I hope your team shares that sentiment. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
January 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
xnonono2x xnonono2x Funny that the person that accuses the rest of I-AA of the same old, same old won't get past the simple question of scheduling.

Hey DF, how many years have I been asking you to answer the question of all these Indies making the playoffs by scheduling? xlolx

89Hen
January 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Back to the topic... a shame to see only one home game prior to October. Will this mean only one night game at McGuirk? UD only plays night games in September, do the Minutemen do the same?

dgreco
January 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
So does Bryant automatically get props for going in the first year, and trying to schedule games that will challenge them? Instead of going for a half DII schedule because they can?

GannonFan
January 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Tough schedule for UMass, who could struggle this year with the graduation of so many key pieces on both sides of the ball. Even with Santos gone, it looks like we're likely to see a changing of the guard at the top of the CAA North next year as UNH finally gets in the clear.

Seahawks Fan
January 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I would think Wagner has some open dates for next year.

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
So does Bryant automatically get props for going in the first year, and trying to schedule games that will challenge them? Instead of going for a half DII schedule because they can?

Absolutely!!

Dane96
January 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM

YES IN MY BOOK. We may not be there by the time you come...but Albany looks forward to Bryant joining the NEC (and selfishly I get to see another game close to home every other year).

Dayton's stepping it up big according to Flyer; They are playing TWO NEC teams this year.

Let's see who the two are.xcoffeex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
News flash to Pioneer League folks -- ONE quality OOC game without an in-conference strong resume doesn't cut the mustard in the selection committee's eyes. Hasn't that been proven yet? That's because one game doesn't mean squat. You haven't heard any UNH, SIU or App fans claiming they could be competitive in the Big Ten because of their ONE win at a Big Ten venue. You can gear up for one game, you can catch a team on a bad week or an injury riddled week, crazy stuff happens, etc. I can guarantee you that there are many William & Mary fans who questioned UNH getting the #1 seed in 2005 because of one game played that season.

The Pioneer League needs to lobby for playoff expansion AND for their league to obtain an autobid. Until that happens the only way they'll get into the playoffs is by scheduling multiple quality OOC games or there is some kind of Perfect Storm scenario where there is a shortage of teams with seven D-I wins. xrulesx

I keep hearing all these arguments about the OVC. Why doesn't Dayton schedule multiple OOC games against the OVC to prove that argument? Geographically, it wouldn't be a hardship. Why doesn't Dayton schedule games against multiple fellow A-10 all sports members (UMass, URI, Richmond, Fordham)? I can't think of a better way to make their point to the committee! A record of 9-2 or 8-3 with that type of schedule will speak louder than 12-0 or 11-1 with the current schedule.

89Hen
January 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The Pioneer League needs to lobby for playoff expansion AND for their league to obtain an autobid. Until that happens the only way they'll get into the playoffs is by scheduling multiple quality OOC games or there is some kind of Perfect Storm scenario where there is a shortage of teams with seven D-I wins. xrulesx

I keep hearing all these arguments about the OVC. Why doesn't Dayton schedule multiple OOC games against the OVC to prove that argument? Geographically, it wouldn't be a hardship. Why doesn't Dayton schedule games against multiple fellow A-10 all sports members (UMass, URI, Richmond, Fordham)? I can't think of a better way to make their point to the committee! A record of 9-2 or 8-3 with that type of schedule will speak louder than 12-0 or 11-1 with the current schedule.
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

BTW.... "That's because one game doesn't mean squat. You haven't heard any UNH, SIU or App fans claiming they could be competitive in the Big Ten because of their ONE win at a Big Ten venue."

Actually I think I do remember some App fans talking about how well they could have done in the B10 this year. xsmiley_wix

DetroitFlyer
January 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
News flash to Pioneer League folks -- ONE quality OOC game without an in-conference strong resume doesn't cut the mustard in the selection committee's eyes. Hasn't that been proven yet? That's because one game doesn't mean squat. You haven't heard any UNH, SIU or App fans claiming they could be competitive in the Big Ten because of their ONE win at a Big Ten venue. You can gear up for one game, you can catch a team on a bad week or an injury riddled week, crazy stuff happens, etc. I can guarantee you that there are many William & Mary fans who questioned UNH getting the #1 seed in 2005 because of one game played that season.

One win.... Where exactly did App finish in the final FBS, AP Poll? Yep, I guess one win does not matter.... In fact, why even play the game? I think that Dayton can defeat tOSU, so consider it done! Where is our playoff bid for crying out loud, we earned it by beating tOSU!