PDA

View Full Version : Princeton snares talented player from the Gators!

Smendy
January 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Folks, I know there is a "recruiting thread" at AGS, but this is no ordinary recruit. This is a huge signing for an Ivy League program which is steeped in tradition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/01/11/meyers.ivy/index.html

Comment: I saw this kid play in high school (on TV) and the announcers were claiming Urban Meyer could envision him as a Gators' captain one day. I can't tell you how impressed I was with him as a player....And, while I'm happy he joined the Ivy League, I guess I'm a bit upset that the Ivy League program up in New Haven couldn't keep him in the state of Connecticut xpeacex

citdog
January 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
can't wait to get this boy in Charleston and watch the Cadets punch him in the mouth!

Pard4Life
January 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Oh terrific, great news for Lafayette.

Franks Tanks
January 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Where's MPLS Bison-- he refuses to believe kids make decisions based on the reasons this kid did

Franks Tanks
January 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Oh terrific, great news for Lafayette.

Its not like it matters we lose to the tigers even when we have better talent--its the curse

danefan
January 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Congrats to Princeton and to this kid.

It's too bad more kids don't make decisions like this.

Pard4Life
January 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Its not like it matters we lose to the tigers even when we have better talent--its the curse

I don't know if there is a 'curse'... we just play stupid at the wrong times... in the same game every year... since 1890

GannonFan
January 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Not to knock this guy, but it's not like it was as hard of a decision as he makes it out to be. His family is plenty rich, so paying for school, even Princeton, isn't that big of deal. Pro scouts will find you wherever you are so if you're a guy who can play in the NFL it's not like you have to go to a school like Florida to get noticed. And it's not like Princeton is unkown to people. And he gets to play lacrosse as well, which I'm sure they can't even spell in Florida. The Ivies give you that kind of networking that a Florida can't give you, so that's an added plus as well. And besides, Princeton could very well be the best campus of all the Ivies so that's just icing on the cake. Good for him. xthumbsupx

danefan
January 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Not to knock this guy, but it's not like it was as hard of a decision as he makes it out to be. His family is plenty rich, so paying for school, even Princeton, isn't that big of deal. Pro scouts will find you wherever you are so if you're a guy who can play in the NFL it's not like you have to go to a school like Florida to get noticed. And it's not like Princeton is unkown to people. And he gets to play lacrosse as well, which I'm sure they can't even spell in Florida. The Ivies give you that kind of networking that a Florida can't give you, so that's an added plus as well. And besides, Princeton could very well be the best campus of all the Ivies so that's just icing on the cake. Good for him. xthumbsupx

You're forgetting the biggest thing the kid is giving up. Which is the only thing most kids focus on when deciding to go to a particular school. ESPN (and the other money hungry media outlets that allow big money college football to exist).

This kid isn't going to get the exposure to the "glam life" of FBS football at Princeton. That is what draws a ton of kids to FBS football every year. Shoot, that's what is put on a platter for these kids on their official visits.

Seahawks Fan
January 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Good story and one very smart young man. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
January 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
You're forgetting the biggest thing the kid is giving up. Which is the only thing most kids focus on when deciding to go to a particular school. ESPN (and the other money hungry media outlets that allow big money college football to exist).

This kid isn't going to get the exposure to the "glam life" of FBS football at Princeton. That is what draws a ton of kids to FBS football every year. Shoot, that's what is put on a platter for these kids on their official visits.

Maybe that's what he didn't want - there's something to be said about having a nice college experience without all the issues that come along with it at a place like Florida - heck, college football at that level is basically like playing in the pros anyway. It's nice that this guy has the opportunity to do that. But remember, he has a family and financial situation that allows him to do that.

Smendy
January 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Good points made by all....

Danefan, you make a great point. I totally agree, but my first thought was he will lose, perhaps, four games per season, and any shot at post-season play.

Ivy League teams play only 10 games, while Florida plays 12 -- plus the SEC Championship & a Bowl game are likely. Honestly, as an Ivy League fan, I wouldn't mind if the powers that be in the league allow their teams to make the F.C.S. playoffs....But the kid knows going in that can't happen.

And, one more point: Ivy league players seem to have a better chance of sticking in the N.F.L. at fullback/H-Back/linebacker (where Meyers projects) than they do at CB, WR or RB, if history is any guide, so his pro chances shouldn't be harmed too much by not going to a football factory.

ur2k
January 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
He won't win a NC in football but can compete in one for LAX.

Go...gate
January 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Good news for my other favorite football team! xthumbsupx

LBPop
January 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
He won't win a NC in football but can compete in one for LAX.

Great observation. Of course the Ivy League Presidents would assert that Lacrosse playoffs don't impact a player's academic efforts, so it's OK for them to compete. But football...xrolleyesx

MplsBison
January 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
It's pretty simple:

Ivy League schools only allow teams that have a legitimate shot at winning the national championship at the highest level to go to the playoffs.

Football, where they know they'll never have the talent to win a national championship at the highest level, is strictly forbidden.

Ivytalk
January 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Nice signing, but it'll take more than that to bring Princeton back next year.xcoolx

bonarae
January 16th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I am often surprised to see a player making this decision (e.g. he is being recruited by FBS or top-tier FCS schools and ended up committing to an Ivy League or a lower-tier school).

However, the question is...

Yes, that's really true, especially for the recruits at the FBS schools. Some of them wanted to play and/or succeed in the NFL after their graduation... but many of the guys recruited these days end up getting benched or injured, so...

He thought he would get more playing time at a school such as Princeton AND focus on academics at the same time.

Of course, when he plays good enough for at least 1 season and also the senior season (e.g. if he would get honors by the league or media), he would have his first shot at post-season play, only at a Senior Bowl or one of a similar name (of course during his senior year).

Remember Brown's Nick Hartigan? He got some interest from NFL teams during his senior year but he ended up accepting the Rhodes Scholarship.

Franks Tanks
January 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM
It's pretty simple:

Ivy League schools only allow teams that have a legitimate shot at winning the national championship at the highest level to go to the playoffs.

Football, where they know they'll never have the talent to win a national championship at the highest level, is strictly forbidden.

The B-Ball teams play in the NCAA tourney. I would assert that an IVY football team has a much better shot at winning a FCS title, than an IVY hoops team does winning the NCAA B-Ball tourney

bonarae
January 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The B-Ball teams play in the NCAA tourney. I would assert that an IVY football team has a much better shot at winning a FCS title, than an IVY hoops team does winning the NCAA B-Ball tourney

So true. 1979 is VERY MUCH different from 2008, so do the glory days of the Ivy League football in the early to mid 20th century to 2008. Let's still hope that they could open up to the idea of football in postseason, at least in our lifetimes... xeyebrowx

mebisonII
January 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
So is the comment that a Princeton degree gets you NFL-type money in your job true? As a proud state-school product, I am somewhat put off by that comment, but if I take my blinders off, I suppose I can admit that the networking and prestige of Ivy schools opens a lot of doors that the NDSU on the top of my CV wouldn't.

Franks Tanks
January 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
So is the comment that a Princeton degree gets you NFL-type money in your job true? As a proud state-school product, I am somewhat put off by that comment, but if I take my blinders off, I suppose I can admit that the networking and prestige of Ivy schools opens a lot of doors that the NDSU on the top of my CV wouldn't.

Of course its true to a degree, but it matters what industry and profession you aspire to. For example the finance world, yes it matters. If you want to be a chemist or biologist, probably not so much. When they talk NFL type money, they mean perhaps the NFL minimum salaries.

danefan
January 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Let me say as a "state-schooler" living in a world of Ivy-Leaguers....its pretty much a lock that its easier to score high paying jobs and large clients at the Princeton or Harvard Club than it is at a UAlbany alumni event.

You want to be an investment banker in Manhattan and get a 7 figure bonus? You should probably go to an Ivy league school.

ngineer
January 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Interesting article and supports to some degree the theory that there are players out there who consider the bigger picture than being swayed by video boards and snazzy locker rooms as being the 'tipping point' in making a decision (although Princeton's facilities are pretty nice, regardless).

ngineer
January 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM

The key point is the networking. As many find out, once you get out in the world and make your mark, where the degree comes from doesn't go for much, but in making connections it can be huge. The NFL money comment probably relates to those heading toward Wall Street, but would also relate to a long-term profession that pays well. Over 40 years versus the average life expectancy in the NFL, it may make sense.

flexbone
January 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Here is my question. From someone not familiar with the ways of the Ivy league. I looked the kid up on rivals.com and among the many offers was also DUKE. From purely a scholarship standpoint - What is he getting if he commits to Princeton if his parents have to pay for tuition? Is the "Offer" not for a full ride? I know they don't have/give " Football Scholarships " but I thought that was just the Ivy League being different and calling their schollies something else. If he isn't getting a "Full ride" why not split the difference between Academics and Elite Football and go to Duke.

Franks Tanks
January 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Here is my question. From someone not familiar with the ways of the Ivy league. I looked the kid up on rivals.com and among the many offers was also DUKE. From purely a scholarship standpoint - What is he getting if he commits to Princeton if his parents have to pay for tuition? Is the "Offer" not for a full ride? I know they don't have/give " Football Scholarships " but I thought that was just the Ivy League being different and calling their schollies something else. If he isn't getting a "Full ride" why not split the difference between Academics and Elite Football and go to Duke.

Your right, most kids probably would go to Duke in this situation. I think however the cost of tuition wasnt a concern for this kid and his parents, so he was able to take that out of the equation

flexbone
January 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I heard $ was not a consideration for this kid - BUT - Back to my question - If you are from an upper class family and they, any IVY League school, offers you a scholarship - DO YOU ACTUAL GET ANYTHING?

Franks Tanks
January 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I heard $ was not a consideration for this kid - BUT - Back to my question - If you are from an upper class family and they, any IVY League school, offers you a scholarship - DO YOU ACTUAL GET ANYTHING?

There are no athletic scholarships in the Ivy League period. Any aid is in the guise of need based aid, so a rich family will recieve no aid at all.

flexbone
January 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info..
I'm glad to see this type of thing happens from time to time.
Not coming from $ - I think if I was his DAD I would be pulling for the "Full Ride" to Duke. 4 years tuition adds up, even if you come from money!!

Franks Tanks
January 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info..
Not coming from $ - I think if I was his DAD I would be pulling for the "Full Ride" to Duke. 4 years tuition adds up, even if you come from money!!

Some Ivy schools are in the process of rolling out a variable tuition program that pro-rates tuition based on income. Differing incomes pay percentages of tuition. But even this program can still leave a decent amount to pay--i.e. still more than your average state school.

MplsBison
January 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
What would happen if a newly appointed Ivy League president said this in his inauguration speech?:

"I have a great vision for ______ athletics. A vision of greatness! A vision of full athletic scholarships for our student athletes!!!"

And then shook both fists in the air triumphantly.

flexbone
January 17th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Man, I wish the Ivy League would jump on board with the rest of us and get involve with FCS football, IE Playoffs. But I guess that is NEVER going to Happen!!!!!!!!!!

Franks Tanks
January 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Man, I wish the Ivy League would jump on board with the rest of us and get involve with FCS football, IE Playoffs. But I guess that is NEVER going to Happen!!!!!!!!!!

If the Ivy's ever gave scholly's they wouldnt play FCS. They attract good athletes without them now, with them they could field some pretty darn good teams. They would at least be as good as Stanford, Northwesten, etc if they wanted

TheValleyRaider
January 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
What would happen if a newly appointed Ivy League president said this in his inauguration speech?:

"I have a great vision for ______ athletics. A vision of greatness! A vision of full athletic scholarships for our student athletes!!!"

The Apocalypse

LBPop
January 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I would suspect that he would have to lower his hands quickly to avoid hitting the flying pigs circling around him.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
With apologies to Hunter S. Thompson, that would happen if a newly appointed Ivy League president said this in his inauguration speech:

We were somewhere around the podium when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like, "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should say something . . ."And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the podium, which was going about 100 miles an hour as soon as I said "scholarships". And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/2/3/6/5/7045632.jpg

ngineer
January 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info..

AS a Dad finishing up paying for his two kids 8th year of college I fully appreciate that.;) I also think the player is from Connecticut, and NJ isn't that far of a drive, plus in the Ivy, all the schools are within driving distance, so the famly will get to see virtually all the games.