PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett to Appalachian State

AlphaSigMD
January 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Just kidding...

...but what a crazy story would that be.

For ASU it would require converting back to the Joe Burchette/David Burns days before the era of Richie Williams and Armanti Edwards (and of course Trey Elder, and much earlier Daniel Jeremiah).

So maybe its not such a good idea after all since we are +3 national championships since making the switch...

GoGuins
January 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
yea, I'm hearing Rodriguez is in negotiations with Moore to trade Mallett for Edwards.

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Mallett wouldn't start over Edwards. Not just in that offense but I wouldn't take an unproven player over a proven player at all. Mallett was 5-stars in HS but Edwards is more nationally known and has the production. Mallett will be fine though. He should go to FCS or D2 so he could dominate and he would still get a look.

UNHWildCats
January 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM
theres reports he has enrolled at Arkansas

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/01/14/mallett.arkansas/index.html

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I wish him well!

GoGuins
January 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Mallett wouldn't start over Edwards. Not just in that offense but I wouldn't take an unproven player over a proven player at all. Mallett was 5-stars in HS but Edwards is more nationally known and has the production. Mallett will be fine though. He should go to FCS or D2 so he could dominate and he would still get a look.

I was joking, I guess I forgot to put a :) xlolx :D

Are you kidding though? He was the #2 rated QB in the nation behind Jimmy Clauson (IMO should have been #1) no way he's looking at a FCS or, LMAO, a D2 school.

He is at Arkansas, already enrolled in classes there

already123
January 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Pat White or Armanti Edwards?

proasu89
January 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Pat White or Armanti Edwards?

Looking for this?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35860

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I was joking, I guess I forgot to put a :) xlolx :D

Are you kidding though? He was the #2 rated QB in the nation behind Jimmy Clauson (IMO should have been #1) no way he's looking at a FCS or, LMAO, a D2 school.

He is at Arkansas, already enrolled in classes there

I knew you were I was just stating that in case some idiots thought Mallett could come in there and play right off the bat.

UDBlueLotFan
January 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I hear T.Pryor is leaning towards App.St. instead of UM, OSU and the Ducks xsmiley_wix

Dane96
January 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
While I love Armanti Edwards...if it were between he and Mallet on talent alone...MALLETT gets the nod.

I have watched him live...and on tape...he is plain filthy. He, if he develops as he should, could be a much...much better version of Joe Flacco. I am talking...MUCH BETTER. He has an absolute cannon for an arm, great vision...and above average mobility.

Thing is, ASU wouldnt recruit Mallett because you have the talented Mr. Everything...Armanti Edwards; and the offense is completely different than what Mallet runs.

And Mallett would not look at ASU.

He will be a great fit for Petrino and Arkansas. You guys thought Brohm put up numbers...watch what this kid does.

UDBlueLotFan
January 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
While I love Armanti Edwards...if it were between he and Mallet on talent alone...MALLETT gets the nod.

I have watched him live...and on tape...he is plain filthy. He, if he develops as he should, could be a much...much better version of Joe Flacco. I am talking...MUCH BETTER. He has an absolute cannon for an arm, great vision...and above average mobility.

Thing is, ASU wouldnt recruit Mallett because you have the talented Mr. Everything...Armanti Edwards; and the offense is completely different than what Mallet runs.

And Mallett would not look at ASU.

He will be a great fit for Petrino and Arkansas. You guys thought Brohm put up numbers...watch what this kid does.

a little carried awayed with the much's xeyebrowx I wouldn't argue about the mobility-thing, but you don't get much more of a cannon than Joe.

I-AA Fan
January 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but you should change the title, or let us know that it is something not worth reading...as if ...

With a joke title, this belongs in the smack section.

Dane96
January 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
a little carried awayed with the much's xeyebrowx I wouldn't argue about the mobility-thing, but you don't get much more of a cannon than Joe.

I have watched both...live. One of the games I watched Flacco was at Northeastern...so I got as up close and personal as you can get. He has a very impressive arm-- I love the kid. But Mallett is super special in this regards.

If he lives up to his potential...he has a Bradyesque flick of the wrist.

AlphaSigMD
January 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I was in no way meaning to imply that Ryan Mallett would start over armanti. It wouldn't happen, because no way does Jerry Moore sit a senior QB that has won the National Championship in his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Year! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xeekx xeekx xnodx xnodx

Just thought I'd throw it out there...

ERASU2113
January 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Petrion needed someone who was like Brohm to run his offense at Arkansas......he got someone WAY better.

Mallet will be a sophomore right? Does he have to sit a year or can he play in the fall? Not sure of the rules. Two+ years in Petrino's system = Heisman.

Dane96
January 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
He sits a year...and somehow gets three years of eligibility. I am trying to figure it out---how that works out.

ERASU2113
January 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
He sits a year...and somehow gets three years of eligibility. I am trying to figure it out---how that works out.

Wouldn't it be like redshirting?

True freshman at Michigan...transfers has to sit (redshirt-like) and gets three years of playing + 1 year of learning the system?

Dane96
January 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, except he played his freshman year...passed for almost 1000 yards.

AppIAA
January 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hes redshirting his soph year isnt he? Thats his year he has to sit out

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hmmmm...still, how can you red-shirt your required sit out year for transferring?

bluehenbillk
January 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hmmmm...still, how can you red-shirt your required sit out year for transferring?

Easy, you have 5 years to play 4. If you didn't already use the red-shirt you use it during the transfer year.

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ahhhh...thanks a bunch...much appreciated!

asudan22
January 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
There is no sit out year for going from the FBS to the FCS right???

I know he's not really going FCS just making sure.

ERASU2113
January 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
There is no sit out year for going from the FBS to the FCS right???

I know he's not really going FCS just making sure.

I don't believe so, I could be wrong however.

Tim Washington transferred to ASU last spring from LSU and was able to play right away.

Quavarian Lewis transferred from Vanderbilt around the same time, but didn't play last year. May have chose to sit out, not sure. Believe he's still with the team.

Appstate29
January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

Tim Washington transferred to ASU last spring from LSU and was able to play right away.

Quavarian Lewis transferred from Vanderbilt around the same time, but didn't play last year. May have chose to sit out, not sure. Believe he's still with the team.

Vandy would not release him from his schollie for whatever reason

ERASU2113
January 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Vandy would not release him from his schollie for whatever reason

Ah ok, forgot to think about that

Appinator
January 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM

No, Lewis was allowed to play by NCAA rules, but Vanderbilt’s coach, who happens to be Furman's old coach, wouldn't let him out of his scholarship for that year. You have to be released by the previous institution before you can begin to play at another. After a year, you are automatically released and that's why he'll be in the line up this season.

edit: sorry, some one beat me to it

BluehenJK
January 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Come on guys.....your college football fans. The rule is have 5 years to play fours years. So in Mallett's situation (assuming he doesnt leave early for NFL):
2007: True Freshman year at Mich.
2008: Xfers to Arkansas (sits out per NCAA rules) ostensibly his redshirt yr
2009: Redshirt Soph
2010: Redshirt Junior
2011: Redshirt Senior

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Well, my question still remains....WHY IS THIS NOT DONE IN OTHER SPORTS.

Simply put, you never see hoop players doing this.

phillyAPP
January 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
No, Lewis was allowed to play by NCAA rules, but Vanderbilt’s coach, who happens to be Furman's old coach, wouldn't let him out of his scholarship for that year. You have to be released by the previous institution before you can begin to play at another. After a year, you are automatically released and that's why he'll be in the line up this season.

edit: sorry, some one beat me to it

It had NOTHING TO DO WITH VANDY'S COACH. The Vandy coach referred him to APP instead of Furman. It was the admin that got mad and kept his scholarship.

jmuroller
January 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Well, my question still remains....WHY IS THIS NOT DONE IN OTHER SPORTS.

Simply put, you never see hoop players doing this.

Actually Basketball and Football are the only sports that you have to sit out a year if you transfer. Maybe baseball also, but I don't think so.

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Which is EXACTLY my point. I have never, ever seen a hoop player use a "red-shirt" year to move on to a school via a transfer, and in essence, get his fourth year back.

In fact, Albany would have loved to do that for Jason Siggers.

Something is NOT RIGHT with this.

ERASU2113
January 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Which is EXACTLY my point. I have never, ever seen a hoop player use a "red-shirt" year to move on to a school via a transfer, and in essence, get his fourth year back.

In fact, Albany would have loved to do that for Jason Siggers.

Something is NOT RIGHT with this.

I really don't see that many transfers in basketball, as much as in football atleast.

Majority of the time when a redshirt is given in basketball it's for medical reasons. Majority of players now-a-days are just in school for a little while before heading to the NBA. That's my assumption of why it doesn't happen much.

Regardless, if a guy does transfer in basketball, he should get that extra year if he wants it.

Appinator
January 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
It had NOTHING TO DO WITH VANDY'S COACH. The Vandy coach referred him to APP instead of Furman. It was the admin that got mad and kept his scholarship.

Right, and I'm sure that if he walked down the hall from his office and said "let this kid play", the Vanderbilt AD would have released him too.