PDA

View Full Version : UNI at BYU to open 2008

Khan4Cats
January 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Just announced on local sports talk.

Northern Iowa will open 2008 football season on Saturday, August 30 at BYU, who finished the 2007 season ranked #14.

Should be a good test for the Panthers. A quality opponent, not sure on what the payout would be.

AZGrizFan
January 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Northern Iowa will open 2008 football season on Saturday, August 30 at BYU, who finished the 2007 season ranked #14.

Should be a good test for the Panthers. A quality opponent, not sure on what the payout would be.

That's outstanding. Nice upper level, mid range game, with a decent "winnable" factor....BYU may be in for a bit of a surprise. xnodx xnodx xnodx

unicat87
January 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Catfight! Catfight! Very good game for UNI to get on our schedule! Yippee! :) -unicat87

Seawolf97
January 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Great opener GOOD LUCK!

phillyAPP
January 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Great Openng game.

Good luck UNI --- Kick BYU a$$ !!!

and take the check also.xsmiley_wix

Mountain Panther
January 14th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Has anybody been to a game at BYU? I've only driven by the stadium. EWU fans, or anyone else, chime in on the atmosphere (before, during & after the game).

The game is drivable from Denver so I might go. I doubt there is much of a tailgating atmosphere.

Mountain Panther
January 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
and take the check also.xsmiley_wix

We're not in it for the money.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was the Sarcasm Thread in the Lounge.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
January 14th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Sweet, I will be there to watch this game. The crowd is in my opinion pretty mellow. The tailgating is not what most people would consider tailgating. I am normally a bit disappointed in the crowd that shows up, they are still trailing in during most of the first quarter and it drives me nuts. Either way, unless you wear red witha big white U on it, no one will hassle you too much. I was really wishing the Griz would schedule this game, but I'll take watching UNI first hand. BYU is a really solid team, UNI can pull the upset, but I would lay odds they will be in for a long day. BYU was a pretty young team this year and return quite a few starters on offense. Either way, best of luck and I can't wait for football to get going again :)

AshevilleApp2
January 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Good luck UNI! Who do you have replacing Sanders at QB?

JBB
January 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I was around BYU during the hay-days in the mid 80s. Beautiful stadium, always packed and a great party believe it or not. Just bring your liquor if you want it. If you dont you can get what you want at one of the state operated liquor stores.

Great game for you guys with a beautiful setting. Wonderful view of the Wasatch range.

IABison
January 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Just A quality opponent, not sure on what the payout would be.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/SPORTS020702/80114045

Looks like BYU is paying $375,000. A nice paycheck.

I sure wish I was able to make that game. That part of Utah is some of the most beautiful country around. xnodx xnodx

lizrdgizrd
January 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Go UNI!

Big Al
January 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oh man, I can't stand BYU. My wife got her grad. degrees from Utah after graduating from UNI.

Lavell Edwards stadium is nice enough, and the Wasatch mountains are very pretty but I was unimpressed overall. Of course, growing up in the shadow of Kinnick kind of keeps the bar high. If you do go for the weekend, I recommend stopping in Park City and taking the Alpine Loop into Provo. Tailgating in Utah is not good compared to the midwest and tailgating at BYU is terrible compared to the U of Utah. BYU doesn't allow alcohol or caffeinated beverages on it's campus. 'Nuff said.

Here's hoping the Panthers take the Cougars down!

Ivytalk
January 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Has anybody been to a game at BYU? I've only driven by the stadium. EWU fans, or anyone else, chime in on the atmosphere (before, during & after the game).

The game is drivable from Denver so I might go. I doubt there is much of a tailgating atmosphere.

What? All the caffeine-free Diet Coke you can drink!!:D

unicat87
January 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Good luck UNI! Who do you have replacing Sanders at QB?

Hello there my friend! I hope you are doing well.
Mark Grace looks to be the heir apparent to replace Eric Sanders. Grace played some this last season and I think with some more experience is a ready replacement for Sanders as our starting QB who can make things happen in the air and on the ground. Grace had a pretty good scramble that he turned into a long TD run late in the season, so I am impressed with his mobility. I think he also got some snaps in late in the win over Iowa State, so he (and our other returning players) should be able to handle a big time hostile atmosphere like they might run into at BYU. Maybe we also have someone else who will compete in spring ball for the spot, so if someone else knows better, please chime in here. :) -unicat87

Mountain Panther
January 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Mark Grace looks to be the heir apparent to replace Eric Sanders.

You must be a Cubs fan. xlolx

UNI's new QB is Pat Grace.

igo4uni
January 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I like this game for UNI!!

AshevilleApp2
January 16th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Hello there my friend! I hope you are doing well.
Mark Grace looks to be the heir apparent to replace Eric Sanders. Grace played some this last season and I think with some more experience is a ready replacement for Sanders as our starting QB who can make things happen in the air and on the ground. Grace had a pretty good scramble that he turned into a long TD run late in the season, so I am impressed with his mobility. I think he also got some snaps in late in the win over Iowa State, so he (and our other returning players) should be able to handle a big time hostile atmosphere like they might run into at BYU. Maybe we also have someone else who will compete in spring ball for the spot, so if someone else knows better, please chime in here. :) -unicat87

Thanks buddy! Once again, good luck on the game. I hope ya'll bring a great crowd to Utah. Love to see a game there.

unicat87
January 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM
You must be a Cubs fan. xlolx

UNI's new QB is Pat Grace.

Oh yeah, I knew that! xlolx xlolx xlolx Anyway, I think Pat Grace will do well for us at QB. Eric Sanders has been simply incredible. :) -unicat87

already123
January 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a quality game! This is a BYU team that started the year off a bit sluggish, but went on to dismantle a very talented Eastern Washington team when they were peaking offensively. UNI will have their hands full

UNIFanSince1983
January 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I was more hoping for the LSU, Ga Tech or FSU game, but BYU should be a great game for the Panthers. I think getting a good test could help them later in the season. I will be probably making the trek out to Provo. GO Panthers!

igo4uni
January 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
My dream is to play Nebraska in Lincoln.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/199399291_f40b5905f8.jpg?v=0

Appaholic
January 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Go Panthers! B*tchslap the Stormin' Mormons......make Mitt feel the a$$ whopping.....

Chi Panther
January 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Last year could have turned some heads......I'm still sour....

MACHIAVELLI
January 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Send the ICON a thank you card. xpeacex and some of that 375k

November 29, 2007
BYU dumped for Grambling

The University of Nevada has dropped BYU from its schedule.

"We are disappointed to learn that Nevada-Reno has decided to drop BYU from its 2008 schedule," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe. "This puts us in a very difficult situation to find a comparable opponent for our season-opening game with such late notice."

Nevada will play Grambling State, Texas Tech, Missouri and UNLV. It appears Grambling replaces BYU on the Wolfpack schedule.

Said Nevada athletics director Cary Groth in the release: "I have said before that we are committed to bringing high-quality opponents to Mackay Stadium and I think the 2008 schedule represents that commitment. We have a quality schedule that will provide plen

http://www.fanblogs.com/byu/007358.php

ERASU2113
January 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM

There's not many schools who wouldn't want to play in front of "The Sea of Red"

HI54UNI
January 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Cool. I can't wait!