View Full Version : OSU Buckeye QB/Transfer to UD

UDBlueLotFan
January 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Nothing official, but looks like OSU's 2nd-string QB is transferring to UD. Also in the first link is someone from OSU transferring to App.St.

OSU forums:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145#s=145&f=3154&t=1826919&p=1

OSU QB bio:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87746&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059360&Q_SEASON=2007

89Hen
January 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
One of the top rated QB's coming out of HS. 6'6" 244lbs.... hmmm, didn't we have another QB with similar size at UD? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :D xthumbsupx

appstate38
January 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
The only thing that would concern me about either of these guys is that there may be the assumption that they can walk in and play right away because it is of course only FCS football and they were a part of big time football. Plus Hens I would be careful going to that well too many times, not everyone who transfers is a gem like Flacco and Cuff.

Tribe4SF
January 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cuff was not a transfer.xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
January 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Cuff was not a transfer.xrolleyesx

Sure as hell was. He transferred from the defensive side of the ball to the offensive side of the ball. :D

Hansel
January 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
it has been a few weeks since youdee had a dropdown qb transfer- 'bout time

Borat
January 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Nothing official, but looks like OSU's 2nd-string QB is transferring to UD. Also in the first link is someone from OSU transferring to App.St.

OSU forums:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145#s=145&f=3154&t=1826919&p=1

OSU QB bio:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87746&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059360&Q_SEASON=2007

In the first link, some clown posted that Dukes (the OSU LB) "should start day 1 for Appy State." xlolx

Isn't LB going to be a weakness for App next season? xlolx

KiddBrewer
January 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM
im pretty excited about the Dukes pick up if its true.....can always use more speed on the outside.

UDBlueLotFan
January 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
The only thing that would concern me about either of these guys is that there may be the assumption that they can walk in and play right away because it is of course only FCS football and they were a part of big time football. Plus Hens I would be careful going to that well too many times, not everyone who transfers is a gem like Flacco and Cuff.

..depends on where you're lacking.
..rumor is we have 8 I-A QB's with interest in UD; the well ain't deep enough.
..Cuff? xeyebrowx

UDBlueLotFan
January 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=UDBlueLotFan;827776]

we would appreciate if you could pour a few our way at URI.

You'd be better off if you just drove about 5 hours down 95S. Season tickets go on sale in about a month. xsmiley_wix xnodx xlolx xrotatehx

Ivytalk
January 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Two years of eligibility!xhurrayx xhurrayx

Ud1Hens
January 12th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Here is the article in today's Delaware News Journal regarding the possible OSU transfer...

http://delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/SPORTS07/801120357/1002

appstate38
January 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Dang my bad on Cuff, Don't know why I thought he was a transfer.xconfusedx

Saint3333
January 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I like the possible WR transfer to ASU as well. Per Scout.com he was the #14 WR coming out of high school, over 6', 200 lbs., and fast. That would help ease the lose of Dex and Hans.

I'm sure a lot of FBS kids are contacting playoff schools, especially ASU, but I'd rather limit it to one or two a year and go after the high school kids. It seems all the transfer take at least half a season to adjust and by that time ASU really only gets a season and 1/2 from them.

hc12
January 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Dom Randolph and Shoenhoft went to the same high school in Ohio.Shoenhoft a highly recruited QB goes to a big college program and ends up being demoted to number 3 QB and then gets switch to a TE.Randolph gets switch to a WR in high school because of Shoenhoft great QB play gets recruited as WR to Holy Cross and ends up a starting QB.Funny how things work out, good luck to Robbie.

UNHFan99
January 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I dont like programs that take alot of tranfers and every year it seems to get worse. I am glad UNH very rarely takes them unless they had a relatonship with them in high school. Imagine being a recruited player at an FCS school. You work hard for 3 or 4 years and some guy from a FBS shows up and takes the spot you were working for just because he played at Oklahoma. That is my opinion of what FBS transfers do. I dont think its fair to the players. Maybe the players dont mind. I dont know.

93henfan
January 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
im pretty excited about the Dukes pick up if its true.....can always use more speed on the outside.

Is there not an NCAA rule that prevents FBS players from drop-down transfer for one season only? That would keep Dukes at OSU.

Man, can't wait to see Shoenhoft as UD QB next season.:D Minimal drop-off from the loss of Flacco. Another 6'6" QB, laser, rocket arm. Watch out CAA. Gonna be a great season again.

Tribe4SF
January 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Is there not an NCAA rule that prevents FBS players from drop-down transfer for one season only? That would keep Dukes at OSU.

Man, can't wait to see Shoenhoft as UD QB next season.:D Minimal drop-off from the loss of Flacco. Another 6'6" QB, laser, rocket arm. Watch out CAA. Gonna be a great season again.

If a player has graduated, he's permitted to transfer for one year.

Appguy
January 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM

I havent seen such a rule.
If these guys had already graduated with their year of eligibility they could have transfered to a FBS school for a year of play. Mauck did it going form Wake Forest to Cinci.

93henfan
January 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
If a player has graduated, he's permitted to transfer for one year.

OK, yes I recall that now. Thanks! So if Dukes has graduated, he can transfer. Then the question for App fans is, has he graduated?

WrenFGun
January 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Travis,

It depends on how the coaching views loyalty versus a slightly better chance of winning. There's no denying that UNH would be hugely bolstered by some help at DE or DT via the transfer route, but there is a tiny possibility of them doing something like that. They'd just rather develop the guys their coaches thought were worth a spot on the team and trust them for 4-5 years.

Tubby Raymond
January 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I dont like programs that take alot of tranfers and every year it seems to get worse. I am glad UNH very rarely takes them unless they had a relatonship with them in high school. Imagine being a recruited player at an FCS school. You work hard for 3 or 4 years and some guy from a FBS shows up and takes the spot you were working for just because he played at Oklahoma. That is my opinion of what FBS transfers do. I dont think its fair to the players. Maybe the players dont mind. I dont know.

Very enlightenedxoopsx xeekx

Tubby Raymond
January 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
OK, yes I recall that now. Thanks! So if Dukes has graduated, he can transfer. Then the question for App fans is, has he graduated?

He might still need 3 credits in a ballroom dancing classxsmiley_wix

blur2005
January 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
My roommate first and second year went to St. Xavier with this guy. He always made Schoenhoft seem like an absolute stud, so Delaware this is a great pickup.

spoogemcgee18
January 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I don't think Appalachian had a single transfer that you would call an "impact player" on the squad this year. That being said, as a huge Buckeyes fan I'd love to see some scarlet and grey down in Boone.

KiddBrewer
January 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I don't think Appalachian had a single transfer that you would call an "impact player" on the squad this year. That being said, as a huge Buckeyes fan I'd love to see some scarlet and grey down in Boone.

me and you both brother, its kinda fun....my roommate is die hard Buckeye. he hadnt heard much of Dukes, but knew the name. I imagine his deal in Columbus was that he didnt practice hard enough. I hope that he doesnt think that he can come down here and half-ass his way into a job. But if he does get in the games, his attributes certainly lend themselves toward him being a primetime player for us. Could possibly fill some big holes left in the reciever corp by the loss of Hans and Dex. We'll see, can't wait til late August.xthumbsupx

Appinator
January 13th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I would have to say that a WR with character issues is about 50th on my list of things I think App needs. We have managed to keep our noses clean from off the field issues, and bringing a guy in with a history of under-performing and a bad attitude doesn't seem smart.

Maybe if it were a position that we were desperate at, like o-line or our secondary, or if he was a younger kid, we could take a risk for the betterment of the team. I think we will be fine without this guy. With Brian Quick, Coco, Josh Johnson, TJ Courman, and James Hill, we have 5 guys that I have a hard time putting behind this guy on the depth chart. Tell him to stay in Columbus and the heck out of Boone.xcoffeex

For UD, this seems like a great pick-up. It sounds like your guy has alot of natural talent that a team who has a history of molding QBs will go far with.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Two years of eligibility!xhurrayx xhurrayx

And 2 years of UMass not UNH:D

paward
January 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
OK, I asked this question on the UD site, maybe I am slow but do not think I got a clear answer. Is the process of getting a QB transfer the norm for UD. Before you answer the quesion it by no means has the purpose of being derogatory. I have read some post and it is as if your program is depending on it or expecting it. Now Flacco was great but will it be the same? What is wrong with grooming the recruit from highschool?

RazorEdge19
January 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I actually have a roommate who played with the QB from OSU in high school. He didn't say too much real positive about him and mentioned something about having a completion percentage in the 30s in high school...

I certainly hope that's not the case, for UD's sake.

GoGuins
January 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3195112

RadMann
January 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I actually have a roommate who played with the QB from OSU in high school. He didn't say too much real positive about him and mentioned something about having a completion percentage in the 30s in high school...

I certainly hope that's not the case, for UD's sake.

They must have been talking about another OSU QB. Below are his stats from Rivals.com:

HIGH SCHOOL/PERSONAL: Committed to OSU over Michigan and Notre Dame during the summer of 2004. Announced for OSU during Elite 11 passing camp in California. As a senior, was 72-of-139 in eight games for 1,159 yards and 13 touchdowns and three interceptions. The top QBs in Cincinnati and in the Ohio Class of 2005. As a junior, he passed for 1,500 yards passing/15 TDs and 4 interceptions.

http://hsohio.scout.com/a.z?s=142&p=8&c=1&nid=800632

DoubleE
January 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Robbie has a strong arm and can throw the deep ball with some touch. his issue is that well, his decision making isnt the greatest.

also why is it that year in and year out that no one transfers out of Ohio State to YSU ???? we got 1 kid becuase he was expelled from tOSU and is from Youngstown.

i dont get it, the coach at YSU is the brother of the tOSU D Coordinator and is great friends with tressel but nothing ?

ChickenMan
January 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
From today's paper..

Ohio State QB decides to enroll at UD

NEWARK -- Rob Schoenhoft had only been in Newark for a day and a half Sunday night, but it already felt like home.

It's about to become exactly that. Schoenhoft, who was in a close competition for the starting quarterback job at Ohio State last spring and summer, will now vie for that role at the University of Delaware. He expects to complete his transfer and be enrolled by the start of second-semester classes Feb. 11 at UD, he said. Spring football practice begins in March. Schoenhoft has two years of eligibility remaining.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/SPORTS07/801140361/1028&theme=

93henfan
January 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Saweet!xthumbsupx

Debate about HS vs transfer all you want. Who cares? UD is a pro QB pipeline and is reaping the benefits.

GoGuins
January 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Robbie has a strong arm and can throw the deep ball with some touch. his issue is that well, his decision making isnt the greatest.

also why is it that year in and year out that no one transfers out of Ohio State to YSU ???? we got 1 kid becuase he was expelled from tOSU and is from Youngstown.

i dont get it, the coach at YSU is the brother of the tOSU D Coordinator and is great friends with tressel but nothing ?

UD just played in the FCS championship game & YSU has been to the the playoffs ONCE in the last seven years. Maybe that has something to with it? YSU's QB's in that timeframe haven't done anything stellar either

MR. CHICKEN
January 14th, 2008, 09:21 AM
xhurrayx xprost2x xhurrayx

GannonFan
January 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
OK, I asked this question on the UD site, maybe I am slow but do not think I got a clear answer. Is the process of getting a QB transfer the norm for UD. Before you answer the quesion it by no means has the purpose of being derogatory. I have read some post and it is as if your program is depending on it or expecting it. Now Flacco was great but will it be the same? What is wrong with grooming the recruit from highschool?

The answer is there's nothing wrong about doing it either way, grooming a recruit from high school or grooming a recruit from an FBS school. Remember, guys like Andy Hall and Joe Flacco weren't even on the radars of the NFL when they transferred to Delaware - they were guys buried on rosters of their respective teams. They came to Delaware and developed into NFL draft picks. Does it really matter where they came from originally?

As for the history of how this has come about, certainly Keeler was used to cultivating transfers when he coached at DIII Rowan (transfers are aplenty on the good DIII teams) but the transfers at QB happened because of the uniqueness of his situation - Delaware ran the Wing-T and Keeler wanted to run the spread - none of the QB's on the roster were capable of doing that so he brought in Hall from GA Tech. He still needed a transfer after 2 years and brought in Riccio from Missouri. Once those guys did as well as they did, Delaware became a much more attractive place for QB transfers to come, so the quality of those seeking out Delaware significantly improved. When you get a talent like Flacco available to you, you'd be silly not to take him (at the time Flacco would've had 3 years at UD but Pitt held his scholarship and prevented him from playing his first year). And now that Flacco has even improved UD's track record with developing QB's, now we get a guy who had to pick between offers from Ohio St, Michigan, and Notre Dame when he left high school. Although UD's been relying on tranfers at the position, for 6 years we've done that and have had 6 years of good to excellent production from that position - not a bad way to live. xthumbsupx

Rekdiver
January 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM
If a kid wants to transfer I think that is great especially if they are buried on a depth chart and want playing time. At ASU Tim Washington transfered from LSU for two reasons. 1. He had an injury and LSU and his progress back wasn't as mush as they had hope for and 2. He wanted to play.

Having said that, he found out that 1-AA doesn't automatically mean a starting job and that it takes hard work and competition with some very good athletes. It took him through mid season to get significant playing time.

There is a perception that a school that accepts transfers is a renegade institution and somehow less than a quality institution whish is patently untrue. I agree that is makes no difference between HS and transfer.

Aditionally the thing that irks me is some 1-AA kids are "recruited" after they show their worth by FBS teams.

A great QB like Flacco derserves the shot he got as do all the others that want to play and not just practice for 5 years.

UD77
January 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM
If a kid wants to transfer I think that is great especially if they are buried on a depth chart and want playing time. At ASU Tim Washington transfered from LSU for two reasons. 1. He had an injury and LSU and his progress back wasn't as mush as they had hope for and 2. He wanted to play.

Having said that, he found out that 1-AA doesn't automatically mean a starting job and that it takes hard work and competition with some very good athletes. It took him through mid season to get significant playing time.

There is a perception that a school that accepts transfers is a renegade institution and somehow less than a quality institution whish is patently untrue. I agree that is makes no difference between HS and transfer.

Aditionally the thing that irks me is some 1-AA kids are "recruited" after they show their worth by FBS teams.
A great QB like Flacco derserves the shot he got as do all the others that want to play and not just practice for 5 years.

It is my understanding that you can't recruit form other programs. The Kid has to make the first move to contact the school that he wishes to transfer. In the case of Flacco - he was recruited out of HS by UD and he chose to go to Pitt. When things didn't work out there he contacted UD again. It wasn't as if UD didn't make the effort to get him the first time.

Tribe4SF
January 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM
It is my understanding that you can't recruit form other programs. The Kid has to make the first move to contact the school that he wishes to transfer. In the case of Flacco - he was recruited out of HS by UD and he chose to go to Pitt. When things didn't work out there he contacted UD again. It wasn't as if UD didn't make the effort to get him the first time.

That's also my understanding. Programs that are receptive to transfers become known over time, and in UD's case it is clearly a school that a good QB might be interested in. W&M gets a handful of inquiries each year, but unfortunately we find it very difficult to get them accepted. When BU dropped football there were six guys who wanted to come to W&M, but only one was admitted (Mike Leach).

UNH SUPERFAN
January 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Flacco and others like him deserve a chance to play.......after they sit out a year.

GannonFan
January 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Flacco and others like him deserve a chance to play.......after they sit out a year.

How generous of you. The rules are what the rules are. xnodx

asu7
January 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well transfer or not ...

I prefer HS recruits ...

I will take AE anyday over any transfer QB from any school ...

I have faith in our coaches to make the right decisions and recruit the right people for the job ...

So far APP has not had that much luck with transfers and like most have said when you come to APP as a transfer you automatically do not make the starting lineup. I take great pride in the fact that APP will look for recruits first and then fill gaps if needed by recruits.

Good luck to UD ...

cougarpines
January 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well transfer or not ...

I prefer HS recruits ...

I have faith in our coaches to make the right decisions and recruit the right people for the job ...

So far APP has not had that much luck with transfers and like most have said when you come to APP as a transfer you automatically do not make the starting lineup. I take great pride in the fact that APP will look for recruits first and then fill gaps if needed by recruits.

Good luck to UD ...

Why?

UNH SUPERFAN
January 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
How generous of you. The rules are what the rules are. xnodx

That's true, good lawyer speak.... good luck with your transfer QB! xsmhx

GannonFan
January 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
That's true, good lawyer speak.... good luck with your transfer QB! xsmhx

It's not like anyone is twisting the wording or finding a loophole - the rules about transfers are as clear as day and have been for many years now. What's the lawyer speak?

And as for your suggestion, while it makes some sense, it is awfully penalizing on the transfer in question. In a system where coaches can leave at a moments notice and in a system where a player can be recruited out of a position by the next recruiting class, your suggestion seems to have more concern over the level playing field than the player's own well being. Like I said, if it works for you great, but you don't seem too concerned about just writing off 20% of a player's college career.

Oh, and thanks for the good luck wish - we've had great success for 6 years now, no reason for that to change! xthumbsupx

LacesOut
January 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Interesting.

Rekdiver
January 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I know the rules well. Didn't say that Falco ws recruited by UD but you are naive if you don't think that some coaches of a FBS program doen't use intermediary contacts to make "soft" contact with outstanding lower Div school athletes. True the rules are the lower Div athlete must initiate contact but that doesn't always happen.

I have no problem with transfers and if they take a roster spot from a rising freshman then that's the way it is. You prefer to have a kid in your program for 4 years but your job is to find the best athletes for your program to win games for the alums and keep your job....within the rules.
A transfer or a JUCO is fine.

UNH SUPERFAN
January 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
It's not like anyone is twisting the wording or finding a loophole - the rules about transfers are as clear as day and have been for many years now. What's the lawyer speak?

And as for your suggestion, while it makes some sense, it is awfully penalizing on the transfer in question. In a system where coaches can leave at a moments notice and in a system where a player can be recruited out of a position by the next recruiting class, your suggestion seems to have more concern over the level playing field than the player's own well being. Like I said, if it works for you great, but you don't seem too concerned about just writing off 20% of a player's college career.

Oh, and thanks for the good luck wish - we've had great success for 6 years now, no reason for that to change! xthumbsupx

Don't the current rules possibly write off at least 20% of some recruited player's career?

BDKJMU
January 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Even IF this guy turns out as good as Flacco (likely 2nd-4th round draft pick) he likely won't be nearly as good in his 3rd year (redshirt soph) as Flacco was in his 5th (redshirt senior). Bottom line the High School recruit rankings are often a total crapshoot trying to guess how good a 16-17 year old is going to be at 20-22. Often the number of "stars" a HS recruit gets aren't worth the paper they're written on. What this guy did in HS or how many "stars" he got as a HS recruit doesn't mean jack *****. Bottom line is in his 2nd year this guy was only good enough for 3rd string QB at Ohio St, and he wasn't even their best red shirt freshman QB, and was moved to tight end. If he had stayed at Ohio State it sounds like he would have stayed at tight-end. If the Ohio State coaches thought this guy had the talent to be a future early to mid round QB draft pick I'm sure he would have stayed at QB.

Delaware shouldn't be predicted all of a sudden to be better than they otherwise would have been without this guy until he proves himself on the field.

BDKJMU
January 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by asu7 View Post
Well transfer or not ...

I prefer HS recruits ...

Good luck to UD ...

Why?

Because the majority (note I didn't say all) of the time that a I-A tranfers to a I-AA is because after 2-3 seasons he a. is at 3rd string or lower, couldn't crack the 2 deep, or b. Maybe have cracked the 2 deep after 3 years but never sees himself as starting.

Now sometimes there are personal reasons (to be closer to home, family issues), academic reasons, not getting along with the coaches or coaching staffs leaving, off field issues, etc.

But the majority of the time someone who is good enough for 3rd string at a I-A school, even a BCS one, either isn't going to be good enough to start or start right away at a powerhouse I-AA like ASU, or if they are good enough to start they usually won't be an impact (all conference or all american) type player that they may have been hyped to be. There certainly are exceptions- take a couple doz tranfers over several years (UMass) you'll get a few that become multi year starters, 1st-3rd team all conference type players, but the majority (over 50%) likely will never start.

Its a common held attitude, esp by fans from big BCS I-A schools that assume when some 3rd even 2nd string player transfers down to a I-AA power that he is going to be a starter/big time player because they think that the talent level in I-AA is so much lesser, several notches below I-A, when its really only a notch below (at the I-AA powers).

AlphaSigMD
January 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Its really easy for ASU fans to say this/that or whatever about transfers because we still have the most dangerous QB in the league for the next 2 years.

(Lets face it, Armanti has the potential to do things that nobody has ever done at this level. He's a phenom, and may go down as one of the best players ever in FCS. 2000 passing - 2000 rushing, or even 3000 passing - 2000 rushing are within the realm of possibility with a 13 - 16 game schedule. And with ASU depending on him more as a junior and senior, look for him to blow up)

But I'd be happy to field the best possible team that I could field, regardless of where the players came from. As long as it didn't

1. Grossly disrupt the continuity of the talent building within the program.
2. Grossly endanger the success of the program by bringing in kids with serious discipline problems or serious academic deficiencies.
3. Cause us to burn bridges within the state high school athletic programs (i.e. turn our back on our bread and butter)

But that said, if ever year a couple of good old boys from Texas, Oklahoma, USC, LSU and Florida St want to head our way to get some burn...why not give them a shot?

93henfan
January 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Its a common held attitude, esp by fans from big BCS I-A schools that assume when some 3rd even 2nd string player transfers down to a I-AA power that he is going to be a starter/big time player because they think that the talent level in I-AA is so much lesser, several notches below I-A, when its really only a notch below (at the I-AA powers).

Yes, it's certainly a common held attitude at Delaware beause we've taken these 2nd and 3rd stringers that you say are a total crapshoot and made them into NFL picks. Delaware has shown that ability with transfers at several positions on the field.

Sounds like someone is having a little case of Henvy. It's all good though. We love our CAA conference-mates down there at JMU. You give us a good game every once in a while.xsmiley_wix

Oh, one more thing. Play until you hear the whistle.xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

BluehenJK
January 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwp5qkZgB0

For BDKJMU in case he forgot the "play to the whistle" reference. xsmiley_wix

unhfan1
January 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Bring on the Delaware transfers. UNH will beat the Hens again in 2009.

ChickenMan
January 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The addition of the Schoenhoft is a big plus for UD. Going into '08 the Hens looked to be pretty well set on both sides of the ball.. with the major exception of the QB position. With Flacco leaving the Hen's QB spot was a huge question mark. While I don't expect Schoenhoft to be another Joe Flacco in '08.. there's little doubt that he is a major upgrage over what UD had coming back at QB next year. The Hen's road schedule is 'brutal' next year.. @ Maryland, @ Furman, @ JMU, @ UMass, @ Richmond and @ Hofstra.. but if Schoenhoft lives up to his resume.. UD will once again have a shot at another playoff bid.

89Hen
January 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I prefer HS recruits ...

I think anyone would take AE any day. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
January 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Delaware shouldn't be predicted all of a sudden to be better than they otherwise would have been without this guy until he proves himself on the field.
Yes, they should. You didn't see what we had. xcoffeex

BTW, Schoenhoft will be a redshirt junior in his fourth year, not third.

Tribe4SF
January 15th, 2008, 08:37 AM

That'll be a good trick, since I don't believe they play this year, or next.

YoUDeeMan
January 15th, 2008, 09:49 AM
That'll be a good trick, since I don't believe they play this year, or next.

Well, they might meet in the playoffs. But that assumes that UNH doesn't take a dive sans Santos. xwhistlex

Rob Iola
January 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM
The addition of the Schoenhoft is a big plus for UD. Going into '08 the Hens looked to be pretty well set on both sides of the ball.. with the major exception of the QB position. With Flacco leaving the Hen's QB spot was a huge question mark. While I don't expect Schoenhoft to be another Joe Flacco in '08.. there's little doubt that he is a major upgrage over what UD had coming back at QB next year. The Hen's road schedule is 'brutal' next year.. @ Maryland, @ Furman, @ JMU, @ UMass, @ Richmond and @ Hofstra.. but if Schoenhoft lives up to his resume.. UD will once again have a shot at another playoff bid.
I wouldn't expect Schoenhoft to be another Joe Flacco in '09 either, or ever. Flacco was arguably the best QB ever at UD, and that of course is saying a lot. If Schoenhoft proves to be a capable, strong-armed leader at the helm then UD as a team will do just fine, given that the D should improve immensely for '08 and beyond...

UNH SUPERFAN
January 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Well, they might meet in the playoffs. But that assumes that UNH doesn't take a dive sans Santos. xwhistlex

Love your name!!!xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't expect Schoenhoft to be another Joe Flacco in '09 either, or ever. Flacco was arguably the best QB ever at UD, and that of course is saying a lot. If Schoenhoft proves to be a capable, strong-armed leader at the helm then UD as a team will do just fine, given that the D should improve immensely for '08 and beyond...

*cough* Gannon *cough*

blukeys
January 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
*cough* Gannon *cough*

*cough* Brunner *cough*

Rob Iola
January 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM
"Arguably" means "Arguably" - I saw both Brunner and Gannon play in person (every home game for Gannon) - Gannon under the wing-T was obviously run 1st pass 2nd (punt 3rd), and of course blossomed into an NFL MVP - but he never hung 59 on Navy...

GannonFan
January 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM
"Arguably" means "Arguably" - I saw both Brunner and Gannon play in person (every home game for Gannon) - Gannon under the wing-T was obviously run 1st pass 2nd (punt 3rd), and of course blossomed into an NFL MVP - but he never hung 59 on Navy...

It's not like Gannon was surrounded by some of the best Delaware teams ever, either. Both Brunner and Flacco had a lot more help on both sides of the ball than Gannon did, hence what Gannon did do was so impressive. That '86 team had no business being in the playoffs at all, let alone making it to the quarters that year - but with Gannon, they did just that. xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Smack Forum =========> xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonono2x xoopsx

You might want to research the CAA Scheduling before you go over there and stick your foot in your mouth any further. xrolleyesx

Rob Iola
January 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
It's not like Gannon was surrounded by some of the best Delaware teams ever, either. Both Brunner and Flacco had a lot more help on both sides of the ball than Gannon did, hence what Gannon did do was so impressive. That '86 team had no business being in the playoffs at all, let alone making it to the quarters that year - but with Gannon, they did just that. xthumbsupx
Weeelll, our D this year left a bit to be desired - jelled nicely for the playoffs, but were helped by Farley/Kill abandoning the run...

LacesOut
January 15th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Just curious, because I really don't know, but did Flacco do anything so great and awesome his first year/season with UD?? Or did he just break out last season?

Rob Iola
January 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
He was effective in '06, but had no running game due to injuries and no D due to injuries and lack of coaching - result was a 5-6 season.

Appinator
January 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My fellow Mountaineers that have shot down the idea of having a transfer come in to play a major role on the team are ridiculous. Yes, ASU has reaped the benefits of some great recruiting, but if we miss out on a couple of guys when AE graduates, you will hear a different song.

There is no reason for some of these people to be transfer snobs. You can't fault a team for trying to get better.

ChickenMan
January 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
*cough* Gannon *cough*

It is very arquable that Joe Flacco was the best QB ever to play at UD. There's no doubt in my mind that he was the 'best' passer in UD history. Rich Gannon played in a completely different system (Wing-T) and he was required to be much more of an athlete rather than a pure passer. Flacco or Gannon??? It's a lot closer than you think.

ChickenMan
January 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
He was effective in '06, but had no running game due to injuries and no D due to injuries and lack of coaching - result was a 5-6 season.

Flacco was very good in '06.. the problem was the UD defense was very bad... xsmhx

KiddBrewer
January 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
My fellow Mountaineers that have shot down the idea of having a transfer come in to play a major role on the team are ridiculous. Yes, ASU has reaped the benefits of some great recruiting, but if we miss out on a couple of guys when AE graduates, you will hear a different song.

There is no reason for some of these people to be transfer snobs. You can't fault a team for trying to get better.

he will come in, and he will start. just my guess......

that is if he wants to work.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Flacco was very good in '06.. the problem was the UD defense was very bad... xsmhx

That TE from Duke came 1 year to early for UD

GannonFan
January 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
That TE from Duke came 1 year to early for UD

Nah, even though we had Ben Patrick in '06, Robbie Agnone and Josh Baker, the two TE's used predominately last year, were probably the best pair of receiving TE's at this level. And they're both back in '08 as well. Can't really complain about the status of the TE position.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM

and OMAR CUFF was hurt...

Did Gannon have an Omar Cuff back there to take the pressure off? I think not...

Methinks some folks are getting a wee bit carried away with Mr. Flacco... who couldn't beat Villanova even once... put up 10 points against Albany...

UDBlueLotFan
January 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Did Gannon have an Omar Cuff back there to take the pressure off? I think not...

Methinks some folks are getting a wee bit carried away with Mr. Flacco... who couldn't beat Villanova even once... put up 10 points against Albany...

yeah the Nova-thing is quite embarrassing, but I didn't see one QB during the Bowls who was a better pocket-passer; quite a few were a joke and couldn't play at the I-AA level.

ChickenMan
January 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Tell that to the NFL scouts who apparently have Flacco rated as one of the top QB prospects in the '08 draft... ;)

Rob Iola
January 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM

You did watch Flacco in the playoffs right? Perhaps maybe against Navy too? Rocket arm with accuracy, solid decision making (5 pics total in '07), eyes in the back of his head, able to throw for the 1st down even when wrapped up - you did watch him, right? His main weaknesses were touch (too much zip) and balls that tended to sail. He simply played at a higher level this year, a level that Gannon for all his athleticism didn't reach...

GannonFan
January 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Gannon did have a pretty good back in Bob Norris (RIP), but not really a lot else.

But as to your criticism of Flacco, sheesh, did you simply not see him play? If you're bringing up the Albany game from '06 I would be led to believe you didn't see that game at all if you're going to actually blame it on Flacco. And as for nova, eh, what can I say, the coaching staff didn't take the nova game this year as seriously as the fanbase does - when you're breaking down game tape of Del St the Wednesday of the week you play nova (as reported in the newspaper) you have to wonder how much emphasis they really put into the game itself. And actually, you don't have to wonder as the results were pretty evident. But they did make up for it quite nicely in the playoffs - maybe you caught a few plays then? :p

Lehigh Football Nation
January 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Flacco is a very good QB, but to somehow put all the credit of the run at the championship on him and not Cuff is asinine.

Scoring
1 Omar Cuff, Delaware RB SR 39 15.60

Points Responsible For
1 Josh Johnson, San Diego QB SR 27.40
2 Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly QB JR 22.36
11 Omar Cuff, Delaware RB SR 15.60
40 Joe Flacco, Delaware QB SR 11.07

89Hen
January 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Flacco is a very good QB, but to somehow put all the credit of the run at the championship on him and not Cuff is asinine.
Not sure I saw anyone say that. xeyebrowx

GannonFan
January 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Scoring
1 Omar Cuff, Delaware RB SR 39 15.60

Points Responsible For
1 Josh Johnson, San Diego QB SR 27.40
2 Jonathan Dally, Cal Poly QB JR 22.36
11 Omar Cuff, Delaware RB SR 15.60
40 Joe Flacco, Delaware QB SR 11.07

Not sure I saw anyone say that. xeyebrowx

Agreed - I just checked really quickly and I don't think anyone in the past several pages has made a claim that Flacco was solely responsible for UD's championship run. It is still a team game last I checked. xthumbsupx

89Hen
January 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Agreed - I just checked really quickly and I don't think anyone in the past several pages has made a claim that Flacco was solely responsible for UD's championship run. It is still a team game last I checked. xthumbsupx
I think where somebody may get that impression is that we keep talking about needing to replace Flacco and not Cuff. It's not that Flacco was so much better than Cuff, but Cuff's replacements are MUCH better than what we had to replace Flacco. xpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
January 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't expect Schoenhoft to be another Joe Flacco in '09 either, or ever. Flacco was arguably the best QB ever at UD...

You did watch Flacco in the playoffs right? Perhaps maybe against Navy too?... He simply played at a higher level this year, a level that Gannon for all his athleticism didn't reach...

But as to your criticism of Flacco, sheesh, did you simply not see him play?

Flacco = "best UD quarterback ever" based on hanging 59 points on Navy and the playoffs.

I point out that Cuff was a large part of Flacco's success, and all of a sudden I'm criticizing Flacco? I fail to see how pointing out how much Cuff was a part of this team consists of smacking Flacco around.

UD may have Cuff's heir apparent in the wings while Flacco's heir may be harder to come by. But that has nothing to do with calling Flacco the "best UD quarterback ever". And I wouldn't be so sure about having Cuff's heir apparent either unless you're willing to commit that then next UD back is going to score 39 touchdowns...

Dane96
January 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Gannon did have a pretty good back in Bob Norris (RIP), but not really a lot else.

But as to your criticism of Flacco, sheesh, did you simply not see him play? If you're bringing up the Albany game from '06 I would be led to believe you didn't see that game at all if you're going to actually blame it on Flacco. And as for nova, eh, what can I say, the coaching staff didn't take the nova game this year as seriously as the fanbase does - when you're breaking down game tape of Del St the Wednesday of the week you play nova (as reported in the newspaper) you have to wonder how much emphasis they really put into the game itself. And actually, you don't have to wonder as the results were pretty evident. But they did make up for it quite nicely in the playoffs - maybe you caught a few plays then? :p

Also, the Albany D featured two guys currently in the NFL...one of which intercepted Flacco. It wasnt like he was playing against a chump unit.

Flacco will be JUST fine in the NFL.

93henfan
January 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I point out that Cuff was a large part of Flacco's success, and all of a sudden I'm criticizing Flacco? I fail to see how pointing out how much Cuff was a part of this team consists of smacking Flacco around.

Way to try to twist the argument. First you said that people were giving Flacco sole credit for UD's playoff run, then UD fans refuted, and now you're saying that UD fans are saying you are criticizing Flacco.

No and no.

Anovafan
January 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Tell that to the NFL scouts who apparently have Flacco rated as one of the top QB prospects in the '08 draft... ;)

Flacco is just like any other QB out there, you put pressure on him and suddenly he isn't a world beater. Look at Colt Brennan in the bowl game, or Tom Brady against the Eagles this year, or Flacco against Nova. If you dial up the right defense, you can stop an elite passer, which Flacco clearly is.

On to the transfer subject, I have railed against UD in the past for taking a ton of transfers, yadda, yadda, but until the NCAA changes the rule, them's the breaks. UD is playing within the rules, and while I may disagree with the way a coach should build a team, it has clearly worked for Keeler. The success of Hall and Flacco have shown a potential transfer that they can come to UD and get noticed by NFL scouts. UD is close to a bunch of NFL teams and can give a kid a great college atmosphere. I also think the recent success of Romo and Roethlisberger have a lot of kids thinking they can get to the NFL without going to a big name school, which is a bit misplaced (not because of the big school, but because of lack of talent mind you). Those guys are the exception, not the norm. Hall will never be an NFL starter in my opinion, but we will see about Flacco.

RadMann
January 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
All I have to say is that UD has produced three starting NFL quarterbacks over the years and none of them were transfers. One won the NFL MVP award. UD's QB history goes way back.

ERASU2113
January 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
All I have to say is that UD has produced three starting NFL quarterbacks over the years and none of them were transfers. One won the NFL MVP award. UD's QB history goes way back.

I'm too lazy right now to research but who's come from UD and has played/started QB in the NFL?

zymergy
January 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Gannon, Komlo, and Brunner

ERASU2113
January 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Oh cool thanks

89Hen
January 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Uhhhh, you DID criticize Flacco. xcoffeex

93henfan
January 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Also, Andy Hall was drafted in 6th round in 2004, but was stuck behind McNabb, Detmer, and Blake on the depth chart and relegated to the practice squad. He was later involved in an accident and was charged with DUI, assault, and reckless endangerment and released. He piddled around in the Arena League and I think has since got a 9-5 job.

Flacco will be a likely 2nd-4th rounder, if the pundits are correct.

GannonFan
January 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Flacco is just like any other QB out there, you put pressure on him and suddenly he isn't a world beater. Look at Colt Brennan in the bowl game, or Tom Brady against the Eagles this year, or Flacco against Nova. If you dial up the right defense, you can stop an elite passer, which Flacco clearly is.

On to the transfer subject, I have railed against UD in the past for taking a ton of transfers, yadda, yadda, but until the NCAA changes the rule, them's the breaks. UD is playing within the rules, and while I may disagree with the way a coach should build a team, it has clearly worked for Keeler. The success of Hall and Flacco have shown a potential transfer that they can come to UD and get noticed by NFL scouts. UD is close to a bunch of NFL teams and can give a kid a great college atmosphere. I also think the recent success of Romo and Roethlisberger have a lot of kids thinking they can get to the NFL without going to a big name school, which is a bit misplaced (not because of the big school, but because of lack of talent mind you). Those guys are the exception, not the norm. Hall will never be an NFL starter in my opinion, but we will see about Flacco.

Good points. But remember, Keeler's not really building a team with transfers, not any more so than Tubby did before him. Tubby had more DI transfers on his 2000 club than Keeler has ever had at UD. Thing is, message boards weren't really in vogue to any great extent in the '90's so people weren't able to talk and vent about these things.

AAadict
January 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
2008 Delaware Blue Hens Football (Offense)
QB: check (Buckeye transfer)
RB: check (Badger transfer who was injured in 2007)...would like to see a FB for non-spread situations
WR: ? (need another USC transfer like Boler)
OL: OK

Bottom Line: Hen's will have no issues scoring on anyone in 2008. Even the Terps on opening day. Transfers like UD because of the football tradition. UD football...20K+...grass...lousy scoreboard...NFL MVP...real bathrooms (unlike Boone visitors in 2005)...2 of 3 vs. Navy (recent)...how many days 'til opening day?

AAadict
January 16th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Also, Andy Hall was drafted in 6th round in 2004, but was stuck behind McNabb, Detmer, and Blake on the depth chart and relegated to the practice squad. He was later involved in an accident and was charged with DUI, assault, and reckless endangerment and released. He piddled around in the Arena League and I think has since got a 9-5 job.

Flacco will be a likely 2nd-4th rounder, if the pundits are correct.

Flacco in the 2nd round...and Andy Hall's dad owns an airport in NC. He didn't make it in the NFL but likely makes more than most posting on this message board. The incident was unfortunate...but don't make him out to be less than the QB who gave UD a national title. The NFL is a pretty tough level of football.

AAadict
January 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Flacco is just like any other QB out there, you put pressure on him and suddenly he isn't a world beater. Hall will never be an NFL starter in my opinion, but we will see about Flacco.

Wow! Shocking! FCS QB's don't necessarily dominate the NFL. This just in...Villanova basketball is a hell of a good program but...they don't dominate the NBA. Flacco will be drafted. Will make a roster. We don't necessarily think of Joe as the next Joe Montana. Villanova upset UD at Villanova...welcome to the CAA. Didn't Richmond lose to Towson?