PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois Releases 2008 Schedule

UNHWildCats
January 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
2008 EASTERN ILLINOIS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Aug. 28 at Central Michigan
Sept. 6 at Illinois
Sept. 13 INDIANA STATE (Hall of Fame Game)
Sept. 20 at Illinois State
Sept. 27 * JACKSONVILLE STATE (Family Weekend)
Oct. 4 Open Date
Oct. 11 * at Tennessee Martin
Oct. 18 * SOUTHEAST MISSOURI (Homecoming)
Oct. 25 * at Eastern Kentucky
Nov. 1 * MURRAY STATE
Nov. 8 * at Tennessee State
Nov. 15 * AUSTIN PEAY
Nov. 22 * at Tennessee Tech
* OVC Game

http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

Tribe4SF
January 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Tough enough OOC with two FBS bowl teams, and Illinois State.

TTUEagles
January 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Last year, TTU opened with EIU, now, in '08 they will close the regular season together. Bizarre scheduling in the OVC, such that no rivalry-tradition games are created anymore. Like in the days where TTU always played MTSU in the last game of the season, for example. Oh well...
Looks like it will come down to EIU and TTU in the last weekend for the OVC title. (I can dream, can't I...?)

GannonFan
January 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Tough enough OOC with two FBS bowl teams, and Illinois State.

Central Michigan gets too much press from that bowl appearance - they did lose by 30, at home, to North Dakota St. - the MAC was terrible last year.

With that said, EIU's schedule is a good one. xthumbsupx

purduecrum
January 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Central Michigan gets too much press from that bowl appearance - they did lose by 30, at home, to North Dakota St. - the MAC was terrible last year.

With that said, EIU's schedule is a good one. xthumbsupx

They both played Purdue last year. I'm sure a common opponent will help with scouting. CMU had a new coach and they REALLY got better as the year continued (he was a finalist for the West Virginia job, expect his name to re-surface at the end of '09). Their QB is young and while Tim Tebow was busy being Tim Tebow this fellow from CMU (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/126140) was busy throwing for 27 TD and running for 19 more. I believe his rushing (over 1000 yards) and passing (over 3000) yards was matched only by Vince Young of Texas during his final NCAA season.

He wanted to come to Purdue out of High School but setting third string didn't appeal (he wouldn't have stayed there for long).

Maroons
January 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Did I miss something or is everyone getting to play 12 games next year?

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Did I miss something or is everyone getting to play 12 games next year?

It's one of those years where everyone is allowed to play 12 games because of how the calendar falls...

Maroons
January 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Last year, TTU opened with EIU, now, in '08 they will close the regular season together. Bizarre scheduling in the OVC, such that no rivalry-tradition games are created anymore. Like in the days where TTU always played MTSU in the last game of the season, for example. Oh well...

This is one aspect of football schedule I do not understand. Is there a reason that the league chooses to do it this way? It seems that it would be so simple to pair all of the teams into some kind of "rivalry" and let that be the last week every year. Something like this, perhaps?

EKU - EIU
Murray - SEMO
UT-M - TSU|
APSU - TTU
JSU - Samford/future OVC addition to the south

EIUsuperfan
January 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Should be a good but hard schedule. I'm looking forward to JSU at home for family weekend. Although I'm disappointed they aren't the last game of the year, usually a game that is a deciding factor for the OVC Champion.

Cocky
January 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
This is one aspect of football schedule I do not understand. Is there a reason that the league chooses to do it this way? It seems that it would be so simple to pair all of the teams into some kind of "rivalry" and let that be the last week every year. Something like this, perhaps?

EKU - EIU
Murray - SEMO
UT-M - TSU|
APSU - TTU
JSU - Samford/future OVC addition to the south

The OVC has management issue in my opinion. The conference office does very little to promote the conference.

Rivalry would be great between several members. Distance does have to be the only criteria. Give me JSU v EKU v EIU during the last part of the season. These three are always in the hunt for the championship. Playing these games at the end will help come playoff time.

JSU is schedule a home game during race week more times than not. This causes hardship on the visit team as motel rooms are hard to find and costly.

I would be in favor of setting a rotation that will only change in special situations.

Maroons
January 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
The OVC has management issue in my opinion. The conference office does very little to promote the conference.

Rivalry would be great between several members. Distance does have to be the only criteria. Give me JSU v EKU v EIU during the last part of the season. These three are always in the hunt for the championship. Playing these games at the end will help come playoff time.

JSU is schedule a home game during race week more times than not. This causes hardship on the visit team as motel rooms are hard to find and costly.

I would be in favor of setting a rotation that will only change in special situations.

I agree on all acounts. EKU has made the trip to JSU on at least two occasions where the Colonels had to stay in Atlanta because of races in Talledega, I believe.

TheBisonator
January 12th, 2008, 07:05 PM
That's a nice solid schedule.xthumbsupx