PDA

View Full Version : Ex-football player sues Iona over staph infection

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
It's a bit stale in terms of news items, but it's interesting nonetheless...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=ex-football-player-sues-iona-over-staph-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A former college football player has sued Iona College over an antibiotic-resistant staph infection he says nearly cost him his leg two years ago.

Nick Zaffarese accused team trainers of initially brushing off his burgeoning methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, infection in September 2005. He also called the team’s locker room an unsanitary environment in which players shared towels and equipment.

I wonder how this lawsuit will end up - and how it affects Iona football.

GaelsFootball
January 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
He filed for this lawsuit during the season in early October I think. It was a major problem this year for Iona and probly cost us a game where we were missing nearly 10 starters, it was all over the local news this year. I don't think this will affect us, from what I'm hearing he doesn't have a good chance of winning but it is interesting to see how it will play out.

ngineer
January 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
This is a big problem in all 'institutional-type' settings: schools, prisons, hospitals and places like locker rooms...There have been a number of cases reported around here, though not in the schools..The organization needs to take proactive steps to disinfect AND make sure the people using or in the facilities take their own precautions...Good common sense in not sharing soap, towels, etc. is critical.

APPALACHIANstate
January 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I am a wrestling coach, needless to say this has been a big problem to our program. Parents who read about Staph infections online constantly hound me. I am glad they care though. We disinfect our mats before practice and after. I also make sure our wrestlers never use "old" or "dirty" practice clothes that haven't been washed. Hot showers RIGHT AFTER practice also.

Monarch History
January 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
My son went in the hospital two years ago to have a battery replaced in his heart defibulator. Unfortunately he got a staph infection (MRSA) which almost killed him.:( As a retired school principal I'm aware of the danger of this lurking in our schools and gyms.

My son got his in a sterile operating room which had been open less that a month. This bacteria is resistant to many common antibiotics we have used for years. My suggestion to anyone who has a spot/sore that is not responding to over-the-counter medication is to get professional advice