PDA

View Full Version : Clawson Leaves UR for UT

Eight Legger
January 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Well, we lost our coach. I am in a sour mood. It's likely that we will hire Greg Gregory, South Florida offensive coordinator, or Mike London, UVA defensive coordinator. Both are UR grads. Hopefully this doesn't completely F up our season next year.

AppStsGr8
January 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear it.

Herdman
January 10th, 2008, 11:01 PM
What about USF's Associate Head Coach, Dan McCarney?

UDBlueLotFan
January 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Well, we lost our coach. I am in a sour mood. It's likely that we will hire Greg Gregory, South Florida offensive coordinator, or Mike London, UVA defensive coordinator. Both are UR grads. Hopefully this doesn't completely F up our season next year.

Do these guys have any ties to UR. On gohens, I was asking if anyone thought you guys would stay inhouse? You guys have a young talented team. Too early to tell if it'll affect anyone "verballed." IMO, a big blow with bringing in someone who may bring in his own staff. Good luck.

ERASU2113
January 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Sucks to hear that....good luck in the serach. You guys will be fine for next year. Don't worry about it man.

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 11th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Wow, big loss for UR.

bandl
January 11th, 2008, 07:43 AM
HUGE loss for UR.

Are they still going to be one of the top two (other being JMU) who have the best chance to win the South??

ur2k
January 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Do these guys have any ties to UR. On gohens, I was asking if anyone thought you guys would stay inhouse? You guys have a young talented team. Too early to tell if it'll affect anyone "verballed." IMO, a big blow with bringing in someone who may bring in his own staff. Good luck.

Both of these guys both played and coached at UR, so they're within the family, just not on the current coaching staff. London was interviewed in the last coaching search and also was in the running for the ODU job.

This sucks big time, we finally turned a huge corner with what Clawson was doing here and had a shot to be really really good the next few years. Hopefully this doesn't set us too far back in the wrong direction.

And hopefully he has a change of heart and decides not to sign (yeah right - that's just wishful thinking)

Appinator
January 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
It's understandable to see a young coach leave for a bigger program, but that is a tough loss for UR. I would have a hard time believing that they won't have a great year next season with the amount of talent they will have on the field. Who ever is hired there will have inherited riches.

Fordham
January 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Happy for Dave, sad for UR. I really hope he excels at UT and gets the big time HC spot he clearly seems destined for. He's a great coach and a great guy as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Link:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=clawson-to-go-to-ut&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

DTSpider
January 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Both London & Gregory have coached at UR as well, in addition to playing here. Gregory was the Offensive Coordinator in 2000 and London has had a couple of stints.

London is a very strong recruiter. He's from tidewater and has done a strong job for UVA.

I understand the expectation is that a good number of the staff will remain. Clawson took one coach with him.

My money is on London. Look for the decision within a week.

Tribe4SF
January 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Both London & Gregory have coached at UR as well, in addition to playing here. Gregory was the Offensive Coordinator in 2000 and London has had a couple of stints.

London is a very strong recruiter. He's from tidewater and has done a strong job for UVA.

I understand the expectation is that a good number of the staff will remain. Clawson took one coach with him.

My money is on London. Look for the decision within a week.

The guy I'm sure you want to hang onto is DC Russ Huesman. He's as good as it gets. When he was with the Tribe in the 90's we had a great defense.

Skjellyfetti
January 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Here's an interesting thread from a Tennessee site. Discusses Dale Jones' (Linebacker coach at App and former UT star) role in recommending Clawson to Fulmer and just shows the great respect he had for Clawson as a coach:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7#s=7&f=1372&t=1829529

ur2k
January 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
For those interested - Tenn reported to sign Clawson for 3 years at
$1.2M. Not a bad payday for the former coach of little ole Richmond. UR extension that he signed last week was reported to be 5 years at 250-300K per year.
I wish him well, hate to see him go. He was great for UR football.

Hopefull our AD gets a new coach named quickly so we don't stop the momentum from this past season.

redspider
January 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I think that both of thos guys sound like they woudl be good hires I think that London would be the best though. That would be a great hire UVA defesive coordinator to head Richmond. Hope he wants to come here. Also think how funny it would be for us to get UVA's defensive coordinator and then play them next year. I am sure he would have some tricks ready for UVA and insider knowledge.

Monarch History
January 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Both of these guys both played and coached at UR, so they're within the family, just not on the current coaching staff. London was interviewed in the last coaching search and also was in the running for the ODU job.

London took his name out of consideration for the ODU job after UVA offered him more than the ODU job was offering. UVA can put an ungodly amount of money in London's face if they want him to stay. I agree however that he would be the logical choice.

Good luck on your search.

Brad82
January 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Tim Stowers to Richmond?

fuEMO
January 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Tough loss for The Spiders. I liked the way he had your team playing.

I have no idea what the pay difference is, but if Richmond wants experience they might look into the SoCon. Higgins and Lembo come to mind.

ngineer
January 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Tough loss for The Spiders. I liked the way he had your team playing.

I have no idea what the pay difference is, but if Richmond wants experience they might look into the SoCon. Higgins and Lembo come to mind.

I don't see either making such a move. It would be a 'lateral' move. They've achieved good success in their short stints to date with potential for getting better, ergo leading to a BCS position a la Clawson.

DTSpider
January 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
London took his name out of consideration for the ODU job after UVA offered him more than the ODU job was offering. UVA can put an ungodly amount of money in London's face if they want him to stay. I agree however that he would be the logical choice.

Good luck on your search.

Considering London was the one to contact Richmond ahead of time, I think he's interested.

ODU may be near London's home town, but London played at UR, UR gave him his first coaching job, and UR again hired London as a coach. He really wanted the job when we hired Clawson, but he was our #2 then. I don't think UVA can offer London enough money to overcome the other factors.

That being said. You hire a defensive coach & you risk losing Huesman. You hire Gregory & you can let Huesman control the defense.

JMU-MRD-DAD
January 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Sounds like London may be the front runner if he was considered before and has already contacted UR.

Richmond has a young team that should be pretty well set for the next couple of years. This team should make the new coach look good.

BDKJMU
January 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-01-11-0238.html

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1367031

Monarch History
January 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Considering London was the one to contact Richmond ahead of time, I think he's interested.

Didn't know that, I agree he is probably the front runner. He would be a great choice for the Spiders. xnodx

Good Luck!