View Full Version : There is Hope in Eastern Kentucky for Purdue?

purduecrum
January 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
The rumor is that there will be a press conference in West Lafayette on Friday at 1pm (eastern) to announce that Danny Hope of EKU will join the Purdue staff for the fall '08 season and will become the head coach in '09. Current Purdue coach Joe Tiller is under contract through 2010 but it is widely known that he would rather be fly fishing in Wyoming. Hope was on Tiller's staff at Wyoming and came with Tiller to Purdue and was a part of Purdue's turn around led by Tiller. Tiller is trying to look out for his assistants and might think Hope would retain many of them for his staff.

Story out of Wisconsin (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/266340&ntpid=1) (Purdue was considering a UW assistant as well as Hope).

Any talk out of EKU? All of the Purdue talk seems to originate at the current homes of the other candidates (UW, UCLA).

Cocky
January 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Wow, I'm surprised he would get that kind of job. He has done a good job at EKU but a Big Ten job is a pretty good step up.

ekufbfan
January 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Must be true, reporting as such out of Lexington TV stations. Can't say that I am sorry and many others feel the same...we did okay this year, but over all his tenure has been somewhat of a disappointment....

Golden Eagle
January 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
This makes no sense at all. He is barely competative at the OVC level, which, I am not ashamed to admit, it below that of the Big Ten.

ekufbfan
January 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
This makes no sense at all. He is barely competative at the OVC level, which, I am not ashamed to admit, it below that of the Big Ten.

Are you kidding me? Winning the OVC isn't much to brag about, but I would hardly call EKU "barely competitive at the OVC level".

2007: OVC Champs (won 'em all)

2006: Lost to EIU, JSU and TTU (that must be the reason you called us barely competitve , in losing to TTU, I would agree that surely makes us look "barely competitive" that particular year.

2005:Lost one OVC game to EIU.

2004: Lost two OVC games, Murray State (on OT) and JSU

2003: Lost 2 games, SEMO and JSU (Hope's first year)

While we have been nothing to brag about recently on the national level, a TTU fan calling us "barely competitive in the OVC" is like the pot calling the kettle black. BTW, the EKU-TTU series looks like this EKU 47 wins/TTU 17 xwhistlex

Oh, and EKU has won the OVC more times than any other school. 'nuff said.

TTUEagles
January 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I think (hope) Golden Eagle meant competitive in a national sense...in other words, no one in the OVC has done very well nationally (Playoffs)...they and EIU will always be the teams to beat in the OVC, in my opinion.
Of course, I consider TTU winning at EKU in 1993 - on a botched call that later the OVC and refs admitted blowing - but I'm not still bitter, am I?
(half-kidding here).
Any possible candidates for EKU if he does go to Purdue? I think it'd be a pretty attractive job.

EKU05
January 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Among the fans...

Wake Forest DC Dean Hood seems to be a popular choice. He was a member of Roy Kidd's staff at EKU.

Cocky
January 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Has he officially left?

EKU05
January 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
There has been no formal announcement from EKU (or Purdue as far as I can tell), but it's now scrolling across the ESPN bottom line...he's gone.

I guess the allure of carrying on the legacy of one of his mentors was too much to resist. I say best of luck to him...Coach Hope will be sorely missed in Richmond, KY.

EKU05
January 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
BTW, off the top of my head I estimate that Danny Hope's record in OVC play was about 31-9.

purduecrum
January 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Notice from purduesports.com (http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011108aac.html). You may now return to your regular conversations about FCS. I'll see you back here for Purdue vs. Northern Colorado in '08 and against my other alma mater in '09.

Maroons
January 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
As I said at EKUPride.com... reading that press release is a lot like seeing someone else with the ex-girlfriend that just dumped you. Makes my stomach feel kind of sick.

I will truly miss the guy. It will be very hard seeing him in someone else's colors.

ekufbfan
January 11th, 2008, 04:29 PM
He is officially GONE
Won't be missed very LONG
Another Colonel will take his place
one that will put us back in the race!

Expect the Colonels to return to the top
A team that no OVC foe can stop
This is our wish and especially mine
FCS Champs in just a matter of time!

So don't be troubled all EKU fans
we'll build on new times with our new man
Just rememer EKU PRIDE and have a little confidence
new President
new Coach
and hopefully, a new Conference! xbeerchugx

EKU05
January 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM
He is officially GONE

new President
new Coach

What in God's name makes you think there's any chance of us leaving the OVC? I have mixed feelings about it myself, but it isn't going to happen so I'd say we need to put the OVC on our back and be the ones to make it relevant again.

ekufbfan
January 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
What in God's name makes you think there's any chance of us leaving the OVC? I have mixed feelings about it myself, but it isn't going to happen so I'd say we need to put the OVC on our back and be the ones to make it relevant again.

I said it was my hope that we will. I don't think there is chance, at least it is looking that way, that the OVC is going to ever be any more than it is right now. It amazes me that all of our traditional rilvaries have left (you probably don't remember much less have a clue to what I mean) and we still hang on, hang out and continue to go down the tubes with the rest of OVC. I don't know where to or when, I only know that many long time EKU fans somehow want to find another home. You may not like it, but if we don't seek out greener pastures we will remain stagnant if not worse. Just think if MTSU and wku had stayed, maybe we would be better off, and I think we would have. They did not and the OVC has become an also ran. If you don't think so just read on here and listen to what is said in the KY sports pages (ie: the Scott Co coach comparing OVC basketball to a high school program, it went something like this: OVC teams would be hard pressed to play the schedule we have played. yeah! that can really help recruitingxrolleyesx ) and the Lex TV stations talking about Hope's move from the implied lowly OVC to the Big 10. Wake up and smell the roses, because they aren't smelling or looking so good!

Maroons
January 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I said it was my hope that we will. I don't think there is chance, at least it is looking that way, that the OVC is going to ever be any more than it is right now. It amazes me that all of our traditional rilvaries have left (you probably don't remember much less have a clue to what I mean) and we still hang on, hang out and continue to go down the tubes with the rest of OVC. I don't know where to or when, I only know that many long time EKU fans somehow want to find another home. You may not like it, but if we don't seek out greener pastures we will remain stagnant if not worse. Just think if MTSU and wku had stayed, maybe we would be better off, and I think we would have. They did not and the OVC has become an also ran. If you don't think so just read on here and listen to what is said in the KY sports pages (ie: the Scott Co coach comparing OVC basketball to a high school program, it went something like this: OVC teams would be hard pressed to play the schedule we have played. yeah! that can really help recruitingxrolleyesx ) and the Lex TV stations talking about Hope's move from the implied lowly OVC to the Big 10. Wake up and smell the roses, because they aren't smelling or looking so good!

It is hard to argue with anything you say... and yet I do not see any easy answers. I don't know where EKU would go from the OVC...

Killtoppers90
January 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
It is hard to argue with anything you say... and yet I do not see any easy answers. I don't know where EKU would go from the OVC...

I hear the SunBelt is getting better and on the move up. I'd love to see you guys come so we can keep the rivalry alive. It means so much to all of us!

catamount man
January 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
He is officially GONE

new President
new Coach

Come to the SoCon!!!!!!!!! Would love to have EKU in the SoCon!!!

EKU05
January 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM

The OVC clearly sucks. There is no age requirement to understand that...or to see where WKU, MTSU, and even YSU have moved onto. We were unfortunately held back by the lack of vision/tight purse strings of the Funderburke administration and we're still suffering for it. I know his successor got mixed reviews, but maybe hanging onto Kustra wouldn't have been so terrible. I heard he's President of some school called Boise State now.

The thing is, none of that changes the fact that we are in no position to leavethe OVC. The SoCon doesn't want us, and with a few schools doing feasibility studies it doesn't scream of stability either.

The Gateway is a great league...if we didn't have 14 other sports that need a home.

There are no apparent openings in FBS right now.

I would be all for leaving the OVC if there were a viable option, but there isn't...and writing a poem about it won't change that. With the reality of the situation as it is now (and not how it could have been) understood, it's absolutely a loser's mentality to sit here and complain about it. The OVC sucks, but it took us an entire decade to win it again. We have no right to complain until we dominate on a consistant year to year basis once again...and we will. We need to be to the OVC what Florida State was the ACC for a number of years...a national power in a terrible conference. It can be done.

I'm looking forward to seeing who our new coach will be. I'm tentatively rooting for Dean Hood, but I think we're fortunate to have a number of very good options here. I don't agree that we won't miss Danny Hope though. He did a tremendous job and really understand what it means to be a Colonel. Him taking this opportunity doesn't change that.

EKU05
January 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I hear the SunBelt is getting better and on the move up. I'd love to see you guys come so we can keep the rivalry alive. It means so much to all of us!

I wouldn't mind that either, but I don't think the SBC is interested. Besides, I think you're in a minority of WKU fans that think that. We appreciate the sentiment, though.

Maroons
January 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM

For all the cracks made about the SunBelt... I think it would be attractive to EKU because WKU and MTSU are both there and they have traditionally been very big rivals. The problems are EKU having to foot the higher travel bill and getting an invitation. After all, the SunBelt is pretty full and I don't see WKU rolling out the "red carpet" (for lack of a better term) for the Colonels to join.

ekufbfan
January 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
The OVC clearly sucks. There is no age requirement to understand that...or to see where WKU, MTSU, and even

I would be all for leaving the OVC if there were a viable option, but there isn't...and writing a poem about it won't change that. With the reality of the situation as it is now (and not how it could have been) understood, it's absolutely a loser's mentality to sit here and complain about it. The OVC sucks, but it took us an entire decade to win it again. We have no right to complain until we dominate on a consistant year to year basis once again...and we will. We need to be to the OVC what Florida State was the ACC for a number of years...a national power in a terrible conference. It can be done.

Maybe you haven't figured it out, the poem was just having a little fun with our situation. But that aside, I have read numerous posts of yours here, on the EKU Board, the OVC Board and perhaps on MSU's. You always have opinion I'll give you that. However that does not mean you are always right. Had wku, MTSU and others not explored their options they would have been sitting right here with us in the OVC. I can remember one year that MTSU came to RK Stadium with helmets that did not match and their unifotms looked awful (and that was not so long ago). Now, this may not have been a budget thing, I don't know. But the point is you have got to plan and think beyond what is, if not .....If you do what you have always done you will get what you always got. With some vision there is no reason at some point we can't move on and I believe, to use your words, it is more of a "loser's mentality" to think this is the best we will can do! Will it take work (as in rasing money) you bet it will! But if we sit and say we can't, we never will.

Killtoppers90
January 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't mind that either, but I don't think the SBC is interested. Besides, I think you're in a minority of WKU fans that think that. We appreciate the sentiment, though.

You might be surprised to know that there are more than a handful that think that way. Good luck to you guys anyway.

EKU05
January 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Maybe you haven't figured it out, the poem was just having a little fun with our situation. But that aside, I have read numerous posts of yours here, on the EKU Board, the OVC Board and perhaps on MSU's. You always have opinion I'll give you that. However that does not mean you are always right. Had wku, MTSU and others not explored their options they would have been sitting right here with us in the OVC. I can remember one year that MTSU came to RK Stadium with helmets that did not match and their unifotms looked awful (and that was not so long ago). Now, this may not have been a budget thing, I don't know. But the point is you have got to plan and think beyond what is, if not .....If you do what you have always done you will get what you always got. With some vision there is no reason at some point we can't move on and I believe, to use your words, it is more of a "loser's mentality" to think this is the best we will can do! Will it take work (as in rasing money) you bet it will! But if we sit and say we can't, we never will.

That was your first sensible post of this entire thread...and it basically agrees with everything I already said. To reiterate...

-There are no options now. Right now we need to dominate what is in front of us.
-If a more attractive opportunity presents itself then, by all means, jump all over it like Big Red on a cheeseburger (sorry Killtoppers I couldn't resist!)
-We can dream bigger than the OVC without blaming it for all of our problems which is the sentiment I tend to get from you. It's our own fault that we're still hanging around, and nothing but improving our own situation where we are will be able to get us out of the OVC or any other situation we're in. If we had been owning the OVC for the past 10 years then the SoCon might be interested, or maybe even the SBC...who knows. But that's not where we are...it's where we need to get to.

Also, you seem to think that I'm not for exploring options. Show me where I said that because I'd like to promptly delete it. I don't want that opinion associated with me (seriously). I'm all for exploring whatever options we have. I'm just afraid there aren't many to explore at this particular juncture.

Just out of curiousity, what options do you think we should be looking into? I defintiely think the one thing that should take place is an FBS study. I'm not saying we're ready or able to make the jump, but if the chance ever comes along we need to have a good idea of what we could and could not pull off.

ekufbfan
January 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Read it again and see WHY I got the idea. You have taken me to the woodshed for even mentioning it. Not that I give a hoot. But I am glad that you have clarified your feelings. I still think never discussing/mentioning it makes it appear that we are in happy valley and all is right with the ovc world. I would bet that wku and MTSU did not start the process by whining and making excuses about why it couldn't happen.

I have read on the Murray Board their complaints about the OVC and their thoughts about getting out also. So, let's just sit tight and let them go and then where will we be? Once again saying it isn't the right time, no place to go, no money, no fans, no program........Sometimes it pays to be forward thinking, discuss, plan, explore options and hopefully the right time and place will come along. Or we can just sit around with our, to use your words, loser's mentality with our heads buried in the sand and hope the right time gets here sooner rather than TOO LATE!

I am realistic about one thing and that is the state of the finances in KY for higher ed, that certainly is not going to help us in any way.

Cocky
January 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM
All things are pointing towards JSU not be in the OVC after 2011. Barring serious NCAA change it appears JSU will be headed towards FBS. Not sure if we end up in a conference or independent but I believe our BOT will vote to move no matter. The independent route would be close to suicide at best.

ekufbfan
January 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
All things are pointing towards JSU not be in the OVC after 2011. Barring serious NCAA change it appears JSU will be headed towards FBS. Not sure if we end up in a conference or independent but I believe our BOT will vote to move no matter. The independent route would be close to suicide at best.

EKU05, let's speculate what happens IF JSU goes and then Murray State. (BTW, neither of them have dominated the OVC either. Murray was doing pretty well in BB for awhile, but they like us in FB, are finding that you don't keep it up forever). I guess we could then wait it out so we can dominate what's left? May not be any fans left to care, but hey, a stadium and arena with 500 or less fans and ovc championships, what could be better???xconfusedx

EKU05
January 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM
EKU05, let's speculate what happens IF JSU goes and then Murray State. (BTW, neither of them have dominated the OVC either. Murray was doing pretty well in BB for awhile, but they like us in FB, are finding that you don't keep it up forever). I guess we could then wait it out so we can dominate what's left? May not be any fans left to care, but hey, a stadium and arena with 500 or less fans and ovc championships, what could be better???xconfusedx

Where are you getting all of this from? Even the parts of my post that you bolded include the places where I said we SHOULD leave the OVC if there are any viable options. I'm not saying we should be happy with where we are, but like I said before...you can aspire for more without constantly bashing the conference you are currently in.

I want to do whatever we can to move ourselves forward, but that can done without trashing a conference that has been our home for nearly 60 years.

Also, I would say it's unlikely that Murray would leave before us. Don't believe everything a few frustrated fans write on a message board. Their hands are even more tied than ours because their football support is so weak and they've eliminated a few sports in the last few years while we've added one.

JSU would absolutely leave, as evidenced by their FBS study (which if you read back I suggested we should be doing also). They, however, face a similar problem to us since there don't appear to be any immediate openings in any FBS leagues.

If you want my opinion (and even if you don't) we should be practically mirroring every move that JSU makes. They seem to be more proactive than us right now (but notice that most of their fans on this board are still very complimentary of the OVC even as they explore bigger and options).

Also, I'd just like to point out that you highlighted my words "I would be all for leaving the OVC..." Perhaps it is you that should read it again. All I was saying is that right now there are no options. If any come along, we do need to be ready to take advantage of them...that much is overstating the obvious. To put it in terms of your last post...I never said we should "wait" anything out. Those are words that you put in my mouth.

To refenerce Cocky's post...

I agree that going FBS as an independent would be suicide. In this day and age of conference/bowl tie ins you simply can't go it alone (unless you're Notre Dame and have special rule provisions for your school specifically).

ekufbfan
January 13th, 2008, 03:07 PM
What in God's name makes you think there's any chance of us leaving the OVC?

Okay, we'll just consider the first statement you used to call me out over this. The last time I checked it was a free country with freedom of speech and one can have an opinion, especially on a message board. I understand that you don't agree, but I don't like the OVC. Many of us who have been fans since before your were born (I am guessing that you graduated in 2005) do not like the make up of the conference. I still go to most every FB and BB game, but many of the fans we had in our heyday have lost interest in the program. I hear it at EVERY FB & BB game and out in the community and if you don't think there is sentiment for leaving you are mistaken. You would not remember when the stadium was full and Alumni Col was also. Playing UT Martin and SEMO (and some others) are NOT putting those fans in the stands and are not bringing in any new ones. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty but there it is, like it or not.

EKU05
January 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Okay, we'll just consider the first statement you used to call me out over this. The last time I checked it was a free country with freedom of speech and one can have an opinion, especially on a message board. I understand that you don't agree, but I don't like the OVC. Many of us who have been fans since before your were born (I am guessing that you graduated in 2005) do not like the make up of the conference. I still go to most every FB and BB game, but many of the fans we had in our heyday have lost interest in the program. I hear it at EVERY FB & BB game and out in the community and if you don't think there is sentiment for leaving you are mistaken. You would not remember when the stadium was full and Alumni Col was also. Playing UT Martin and SEMO (and some others) are NOT putting those fans in the stands and are not bringing in any new ones. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty but there it is, like it or not.

All I meant was that it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon...not that it wouldn't be desirable if it could. I understand and share your frustration with the way a lot of things are in the OVC. But here's the dirty little secret about changing conferences...

Conferences take schools that will be productive members. That means continuing to have success where we are, and...being a cooperative member and a team player for as long as we are in the OVC. That way, when better conferences come looking for new members they'll see that we would be a desirable addition to their league in every way imaginable (both on and off the field).

Again, we can keep our options open and dream big without a so long suckers attitude toward our current conference mates.

I also wasn't thrilled about the way your initial post seemed to practically celebrate the departure of Danny Hope. You're entitled to that opinion for sure, but it's one that is hard for me to understand. I was a Danny Hope fan for sure, and I wish we didn't have the job opening that we do at the moment. Still, I have nothing but confidence in Mark Sandy and the job he will do in bringing in our next coach.

Finally, please stop suggesting that I don't think there is "sentiment for leaving." Not only do I know that it exists....I FEEL THE SAME WAY. But I also understand that it isn't entirely under our control. Therefore, we simply need to succeed where we are until a time when options become avaiable to us (and they will...this is college athletics afterall). If we focus on our own success we will be attractive to other conferences in the future. If wwe whine and throw fits while continuing to underachieve then no one will ever want us.

Notice that I asked what made you think there was a possibility of leaving. I didn't ask why you would want to, because I know why and I agree. That seems to continually escape you.

ekufbfan
January 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
All I meant was that it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon...not that it wouldn't be desirable if it could. I understand and share your frustration with the way a lot of things are in the OVC. But here's the dirty little secret about changing conferences...

Conferences take schools that will be productive members. That means continuing to have success where we are, and...being a cooperative member and a team player for as long as we are in the OVC. That way, when better conferences come looking for new members they'll see that we would be a desirable addition to their league in every way imaginable (both on and off the field).

Again, we can keep our options open and dream big without a so long suckers attitude toward our current conference mates.

I also wasn't thrilled about the way your initial post seemed to practically celebrate the departure of Danny Hope. You're entitled to that opinion for sure, but it's one that is hard for me to understand. I was a Danny Hope fan for sure, and I wish we didn't have the job opening that we do at the moment. Still, I have nothing but confidence in Mark Sandy and the job he will do in bringing in our next coach.

Finally, please stop suggesting that I don't think there is "sentiment for leaving." Not only do I know that it exists....I FEEL THE SAME WAY. But I also understand that it isn't entirely under our control. Therefore, we simply need to succeed where we are until a time when options become avaiable to us (and they will...this is college athletics afterall). If we focus on our own success we will be attractive to other conferences in the future. If wwe whine and throw fits while continuing to underachieve then no one will ever want us.

Notice that I asked what made you think there was a possibility of leaving. I didn't ask why you would want to, because I know why and I agree. That seems to continually escape you.

This entire thread has gotten way out of hand and seems to have come full circle. So this all I have to say about it.

1. We disagree and that is okay with me. I won't be changing my mind.
2. You are right, I did not particularly care for Hope. He was okay, frankly I think his bark was bigger than his bite. (i.e. he talked too much about what he was going to do while putting his predecessor down, and you know WHO he is and what he accomplished!) Furthermore, WE SHOULD have won the OVC in 2006, was it coaching, perhaps? Instead we finish 4th.
3. Whining? Throwing fits? I said I want to see EKU out of the OVC. You took me to the woodshed on the very first post regarding that, now you have changed your tune somewhat. Perhaps we have both clarified our position on that at this point.
4. The only thing we may agree on is that the possiblities for moving are truly limited right now. (Here's the answer you have been burning for).
With that said, we still better be talking, studying and planning for it or it will never happen.
5. You stated back a couple of messages ago that no one wants us. Just so you know, we were invitied by the Southern Conf back years ago and Hanly said no. So, explain to me, why would you invite a girl to the dance when she turned you down once?
As far as being at the top of your conference before anyone extends an invite, how about Samford? I believe they are joing the SO CO next year and certainly have not been at the top of the OVC. Maybe no one told the SO CO that "dirty little secret" you were referring to.

BTW, have you ever considered law as a profession? You sure aren't at a loss for words and can argue with the best. xblahblahx Even with the icon, I mean that as a compliment.

And, Yes you can have the last word. Adios!

EKU05
January 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm WELL aware of what Funderburke did. I was the first person to bring him up in this thread if you'll remember. I'd say I've done a little more EKU history reading that your average 24 year old alumnus (but I bet not as much as Maroons...)

I'm saying the SoCon doesn't want us now...if they did then it wouldn't be Samford leaving the OVC. They might want us in the future if App State or Georgia Southern move to FBS, but at point it would take a lot of the luster of SoCon away...so we're caught between a rock and hard place so to speak. Regradless, while the SoCon would be a step up at the moment, it isn't exactly what I have in mind either. I think there will be bigger opportunities down the road. Something will shake up sooner or later...I'm just not sure what.

I didn't "change my tune" on anything. To quote myself, I asked you...

"What in God's name makes you think there's any chance of us leaving the OVC?"

Somehow, you took that as me suggesting that I would be against leaving the OVC under any circumstance. Notice that it doesn't say that. Not even a little bit.

I was honestly just asking you what made you think it was any kind of a possibility. It seemed pretty obvious that it was not on the horizon to me, but you could have known something that I didn't.

You say that we disagree, but I'm not sure that we do all that much. We both want to be in whatever conference will be best for our athletics program. I don't know that there is much more to it than that.

And no, haha...I never really considered law although my degree from EKU is in History which is where a lot of lawyers start out. My plans have always been to teach high school, but the history teacher market is beyond terrible at the moment so I'm working elsewhere.