PDA

View Full Version : Who's Next?

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM
ATTN ALL:

Appalachian is not the only team in FCS that can beat some good FBS teams in the world of college football today. Everybody is getting better, and the playing field is becoming more and more even, slowly but surely. FCS teams are against the odds going into these games, but I have never been one who followed the numbers. I have got a gut feeling that somebody in FCS is going to go out and "pull an Appalachian" (i.e. beat a big name FBS team, not rush the field with 3 minutes to go...save the definitions, we've already heard them). So who is it going to be, whos the next spoiler/news maker?

Any early homers?

Who has the favorable matchups to make it POSSIBLE?

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
We will doubtfully beat the Hokies. But, as we like to say, VT is the 11th most important game on our schedule.

th0m
January 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I think we have a shot at beating Duke next year. Oh wait you said big name FBS teams xlolx

Touchdown Yosef
January 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM
What about Wofford at South Carolina? I think they have a real shot against an underperforming Spurrier team. I'll be rooting for them.

TexasTerror
January 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Southern plays at Houston...

I'm sure they'll be thinking they have a chance to win the game before hand just like every FCS team that went in there thinking they could (heck, SHSU joined Grambling in that boat) before losing the game...

spelunker64
January 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Who can beat 2 in one season???

asu7
January 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I will say Wofford beats SC!

KiddBrewer
January 9th, 2008, 07:45 AM
If Woffy has the same feel as last year, they have a real shot i would think.

bodoyle
January 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
We open the season @ Penn St. that should be a walk in the park...xeekx

asu7
January 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Ouch ... good luck with that one!

bodoyle
January 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Ouch ... good luck with that one!

Yea, if Will is under center, I will be surprised if we score 3. If CDB fixes that and puts Jamie under there I think we could score a few times.

93henfan
January 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM
UD @ Maryland will be a tough opener for the Hens.

andy7171
January 9th, 2008, 08:38 AM
With a majority of the Towson offense back and healthy, in combination with Navy losing 21 seniors and their head coach, I think we have a fair chance at winning down in Annapolis!

andy7171
January 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
UD @ Maryland will be a tough opener for the Hens.

Only because of losing who you do. Maryland consistantly plays down to the perceived competition. They also lose alot on both sides of the ball. Had you played the Twerps this year, you'd have had a good shot.

The Moody1
January 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
With a majority of the Towson offense back and healthy, in combination with Navy losing 21 seniors and their head coach, I think we have a fair chance at winning down in Annapolis!

Navy couldn't beat Delaware with those 21 seniors and their coach. It should really be a blow out. Good luck.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
January 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
JMU plays Duke.

I think we have a legit shot.

Seawolf97
January 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Good luck with the Nittany Lions! I think we play our first FBS team in 2010 when we travel to Army. That will be our first ever FBS game and we should be evenly matched for them by then.

bostonspider
January 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Richmond has an interesting match up with UVA, as UVA will be coming off a game with Southern Cal, and UR will have played down at Elon. UVA will either be flying as high as possible after USC, or will likely have been beaten up. Of course if Clawson leaves for UT as the OC that throws a monkey wrench into it all

Canyoncat
January 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I think Montana State has a good shot to beat Minnesota.

Seawolf97
January 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Richmond has an interesting match up with UVA, as UVA will be coming off a game with Southern Cal, and UR will have played down at Elon. UVA will either be flying as high as possible after USC, or will likely have been beaten up. Of course if Clawson leaves for UT as the OC that throws a monkey wrench into it all

Losing a coach of that caliber is tough -hope he stays for Richmonds sakexthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
January 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Well, our first game is with UGA, who many think will start the season at #1. Hmmmm...............

asu7
January 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Well, our first game is with UGA, who many think will start the season at #1. Hmmmm...............

do not fear ... there are stones in any game ... you just gotta pick em up and take your best aim ...

slostang
January 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Not a big name FBS, but Cal Poly opens with San Diego State. Cal Poly beat San Diego State in 2006 and I think they have a good shot next of beating them again next season.

terrierbob
January 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
If spurrier is smart, he'll remember 2006.

South Carolina 27, Wofford 20

OSBF
January 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
The Birds have a legit shot at Marshall. In any case, it will be one heck of a fun roadtrip.

back2back
January 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I hope you and the Spiders are not overlooking Elon. They are much improved under Lembo and beat Wofford in '07!

brownbear
January 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am guaranteeing that Brown will not lose any games against FBS teams next year!! Actually, I wish we could play an FBS team just for the experience if anything. Instead we play Stony Brook and Holy Cross for the next four years.

CollegeSportsInfo
January 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The UMass defense will be tested at Texas Tech.

AppStWill
January 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
JMU plays Duke.

I think you meant to say Duke has a legit shot....xthumbsupx

furman94
January 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
If FU beats The VPI Turkeys, then I shave my head!

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I think Montana State has a good shot to beat Minnesota.

I may have to attend that game if NDSU is not playing close to home that weekend. Tim "Punky" Brewster is trying to get the Gophers to the Rose Bowl. He has done a good job recruiting, so you never know.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
If spurrier is smart, he'll remember 2006.

South Carolina 27, Wofford 20

That'll be tough. It's hard to sneak up on a team twice. I doubt, though, most VT fans know Furman exists.

appsfan
January 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
If FU beats The VPI Turkeys, then I shave my head!

I'm expecting before and after pictures. xthumbsupx

brownbear
January 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I may have to attend that game if NDSU is not playing close to home that weekend. Tim "Punky" Brewster is trying to get the Gophers to the Rose Bowl. He has done a good job recruiting, so you never know.

That won't happen, teams don't go from 0-8 in the Big Ten and 1-11 overall to first place in one year. Minnesota couldn't be much worse next year, but I don't see them improving that much in one year.

I-AA Fan
January 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
No I-AA/FCS team can beat a "top" IA/FBS team that is playing up to their potential (or "good"), including App State. That is why the Ducks dropped 32 points on them in the first half against UM the next week & were playing the towel boy by halftime. However, no I-AA/FCS school is going to beat the #16 Michigan or the #9 Florida Gators club that that UM beat last week.

At the same time, I-AA schools have beaten good IA schools in the past. It is the term "good" that needs defined. An example in 2007 would be Delaware over Navy. USN was playing well in 2007, and also when they played the Hens. I am a YSU fan. Although they were on the short-side of a lopsided game against Ohio State, they held Chris Wells out of the end-zone on three straight tries from the 1-yards line. Also, it was Wells lowest output of the season, where he rushed more than 10-times.

Moral of the stories: Pick your battles & you should not have unrealistic goals. Winning the I-AA/FCS title is a goal that is easier to achieve than winning against a team that is superior to you & playing up to their potential.

Appaholic
January 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM
JMU plays Duke.

I think JMU should be favored in that game....xcoffeex

WrenFGun
January 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
The Birds have a legit shot at Marshall. In any case, it will be one heck of a fun roadtrip.

"Fun" is not the word I'd use to describe going into West Virginia. That said, the Marshall fans are loyal and shockingly welcoming, at least to UNH fans. That said, they certainly weren't happy to let us walk out completely unscathed.

As for UNH, I think they have a decent shot of winning their FOURTH (YES, FOURTH...Rutgers, Northwestern, Marshall) FBS game in a row against Army. Not the stiffest competition any of the three years, but even still, very impressive.

ysubigred
January 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
The Guins have tO$U again this year. Sadly that young team will be one year older and pissed off xbawlingx

Canyoncat
January 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM

It would be fun to take the train to Minneapolis with a group of people for this game. Going to try and make it, but will probably fly. After what you guys did to them this year I imagine it will be hard for us to pull the upset. But, like you said "you never know".

Kill'em
January 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
What about Wofford at South Carolina? I think they have a real shot against an underperforming Spurrier team. I'll be rooting for them.

Let's not forget about who the new defensive coordinator is at S.C. (his initials are BVG). He wasn't too successful against Wofford's offense when he was in Statesboro. xoopsx

Kill'em
January 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
By the way, and not to sandbag or run my team down but I give us little hope against uga. They proved a point in the Sugar Bowl and will be very hungry in '08 with Moreno and Stafford in the backfield. We have to replace our entire offensive line as well as the QB. Added to this the loss of Lamar Lewis at RB and the uncertain futures of Mike Hamilton and Zeke Rosier. This will be a young team.

AlphaSigMD
January 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I think JMU should be favored in that game....xcoffeex

David Cutliffe was probably the best hire that Duke could have made. I've always had a great deal of respect for DC, and the guys at Old Miss were crazy for canning him a couple of years back.

He was supposed to be charlie weis's OC at Notre Dame, but then had a medical condition and decided to pass on the opportunity and go home to Tennessee. Hopefully he's back and at 100%

I'll definitely be pulling for him to do well at duke. And, there is not way he could possibly do worse than Ted Roof.