PDA

View Full Version : ASU vs. Jacksonville

Saint3333
January 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Looks like ASU filled one more home game (not officially released by ASU) which would give them 11 games; 8 SoCon, @ JMU, PC, and Jacksonville. Not a bad schedule that game @ JMU could be a clash of top 5 teams.

I'd rather have a scholarship FCS program, but after last year ASU would probably sign anyone willing. Will ASU sign a 12th game, my guess is if they do it would be a FBS program or another home game.

"After opening the 2007 season with an upset at Michigan, three-time defending national champion (Football Championship Subdivision) Appalachian State has scheduled the other extreme by kicking off 2008 at home against Jacksonville University. For the privilege of likely taking a lopsided defeat, the Dolphins' non-scholarship program under Kerwin Bell will pocket over a $100,000 guarantee, plus transportation expenses. ..."

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/010508/spf_231661564.shtml

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
ha thats really odd, i went on a church trip that was at Jacksonville University. I stayed in the doors, ate in the cafeterias, went in the class rooms.......I would have to say, outside of the possibility that someone here attended JU or lives there, I most likely know more about the school than any App fan I know.

PS. i dont even remember a football field. nice baseball stuff though.

HaveFunKc
January 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM
ha thats really odd, i went on a church trip that was at Jacksonville University. I stayed in the doors, ate in the cafeterias, went in the class rooms.......I would have to say, outside of the possibility that someone here attended JU or lives there, I most likely know more about the school than any App fan I know.

JU has a great campus. I used to roam it years ago - lots on fun taking the steep 'hills' going down to the river or over to the ballpark. xnodx xnodx Yes - living there was nice. And they do have a football field... xlolx xlolx xlolx

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
JU has a great campus. I used to roam it years ago - lots on fun taking the steep 'hills' going down to the river or over to the ballpark. xnodx xnodx Yes - living there was nice. And they do have a football field... xlolx xlolx xlolx

dude, i absolutely HATED that hill....i was there when it was 100 degrees everyday, at 9am with 100 percent humidity.......that hill in the middle that you have to walk down and then back up...its a killer.

HaveFunKc
January 8th, 2008, 11:21 PM
dude, i absolutely HATED that hill....i was there when it was 100 degrees everyday, at 9am with 100 percent humidity.......that hill in the middle that you have to walk down and then back up...its a killer.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx That's too funny!!! That hill still has pieces of me in/on it!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

asu7
January 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
We are paying them? ...

How often do we have to pay teams to plays us?

I cannot believe we have to pay them and if we are paying them that much we must be hard up and must be loaded with money ...

can someone help me out here?

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM
We are paying them? ...

How often do we have to pay teams to plays us?

I cannot believe we have to pay them and if we are paying them that much we must be hard up and must be loaded with money ...

can someone help me out here?
We probably didn't want to do a home-and-home with them so we pay them. That's how it works. We make some serious cash on a home game so we can afford to pay the money. Last year we didn't even fill our schedule until May. Looks like we're in a similar boat this year.

Seawolf97
January 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
You have to give them credit though for stepping up on their schedule. For Jacksonville this is their Michigan Game-taking on the 3 time National Champ at home with a non scholarship team.:)

danefan
January 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Now only if Dayton would follow suit.......

GannonFan
January 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah, if it's not a home and home, I imagine you almost always pay the other team - what team possibly does a road game with no return game and doesn't get paid?

Gotta say, though, the schedule isn't a great one. The JMU game is great, but the other two are pretty weak. And I never understand how these schedules aren't set up years in advance - most schools have had their 2008 seasons planned several years ago. And everyone knew that 2008 was going to allow 12 games because of the schedule. You can certainly use the "teams are scared to play us excuse" now, but in reality, if you had the schedules done well enough in advance that wouldn't be a real excuse.

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, if it's not a home and home, I imagine you almost always pay the other team - what team possibly does a road game with no return game and doesn't get paid?

Gotta say, though, the schedule isn't a great one. The JMU game is great, but the other two are pretty weak. And I never understand how these schedules aren't set up years in advance - most schools have had their 2008 seasons planned several years ago. And everyone knew that 2008 was going to allow 12 games because of the schedule. You can certainly use the "teams are scared to play us excuse" now, but in reality, if you had the schedules done well enough in advance that wouldn't be a real excuse.
I imagine some of the problems come because of situations like we had last year with LSU's schedule changing due to the SEC. When you have a mostly finished schedule and then a team or two backs out late it makes it hard to find someone to play.

Appinator
January 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't mind playing a Pioneer league team, but I would have wanted one that might put up a little more fight. A three win team from a non-scholarship conference does hurt the SOS pretty bad. What ever happened to our home and home with NAU?

andy7171
January 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
At least ONE PFL team is stepping up to the plate. Kudos to Jax U!

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I don't mind playing a Pioneer league team, but I would have wanted one that might put up a little more fight. A three win team from a non-scholarship conference does hurt the SOS pretty bad.
It's no worse than an DII team. xpeacex

GannonFan
January 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I imagine some of the problems come because of situations like we had last year with LSU's schedule changing due to the SEC. When you have a mostly finished schedule and then a team or two backs out late it makes it hard to find someone to play.

So what happened this year (2008)? Before picking up Jacksonville you guys had only 10 games and 2 allowable open spots. Did someone back out this year?

GannonFan
January 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Actually better in some regards - it counts as a DI win come playoff time and there are many DII teams who would actually be better competition (no offense meant to the PFL or Jacksonville, just my opinion that the top teams in DII could put a scare into the top teams in FCS on any given saturday).

andy7171
January 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Debatable. :D

Jerbearasu
January 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I don't mind playing a Pioneer league team, but I would have wanted one that might put up a little more fight. A three win team from a non-scholarship conference does hurt the SOS pretty bad. What ever happened to our home and home with NAU?

It was never a home/home with NAU. We paid them I believe in the $150k range and they wanted the experience against a playoff calibur opponent. And yes every home game you get you always pay the team to travel to you; at minimum it is just travel expenses but no team would come without some incentive...

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
So what happened this year (2008)? Before picking up Jacksonville you guys had only 10 games and 2 allowable open spots. Did someone back out this year?
I don't know. I'm not privy to our schedules. Seems like we're usually a game or two short somehow. :(

Mountaineer
January 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know. I'm not privy to our schedules. Seems like we're usually a game or two short somehow. :(

What you're seeing is Charlie Cobb and the athletic department having to scramble and make up for the stuff that went on under Bork and Laney. Apparently it was pretty ugly. :(

Appaholic
January 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I fear I will be catching he!! for all of my comments regarding Montana's schedule last year...xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I fear I will be catching he!! for all of my comments regarding Montana's schedule last year...xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx
Preempt them with a crushing diatribe about our pathetic schedule. Then if we end up with a decent one you can claim that your cries found the ear of Charlie Cobb and he listened to you!

It's win - win. xnodx

GannonFan
January 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Do you guys have a schedule set already for 2009 or 2010 already? Those should really be done by now as well. Or are we going to see this thread annually?? xlolx

lizrdgizrd
January 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Do you guys have a schedule set already for 2009 or 2010 already? Those should really be done by now as well. Or are we going to see this thread annually?? xlolx
Not that I know of. Seems like we've got one or two holes every year now. :(

CharlestonAppFan
January 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Are you an AD or something? xconfusedx Has Delaware's schedule been completed through 2020 yet? Why don't you come and complete our schedule for the next 5 years then xnodx ....It seems to me that since ASU has won the past few championships, scheduling has become somewhat of a animal that's hard to tame.

BEAR
January 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM

I'm a little confused. "I stayed in the doors" and "went in the class rooms". What no beds or bathrooms? I'm guessing they didn't let you stay long. xconfusedx xlolx xlolx

Appinator
January 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I would only hope so! Constant speculation during the off-season sure beats the heck out of nothing!xrotatehx

DUPFLFan
January 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
At least ONE PFL team is stepping up to the plate. Kudos to Jax U!

Andy - if you look at the PFL schedule others have stepped up. Drake beat Illinois State and lost to Northern Iowa last year...

KiddBrewer
January 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm a little confused. "I stayed in the doors" and "went in the class rooms". What no beds or bathrooms? I'm guessing they didn't let you stay long. xconfusedx xlolx xlolx

yea bout that......

i stayed in the dorms, not doors. simple typo...yea they had bathrooms, not very nice ones but they were there. small dorms. but nice campus all together. just hot. i was there a week in july. very hot. very spread out. rather small.

catamount man
January 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I cannot say anything. WCU is hosting a NAIA team, Shorter College, for our 1st game.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GannonFan
January 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Are you an AD or something? xconfusedx Has Delaware's schedule been completed through 2020 yet? Why don't you come and complete our schedule for the next 5 years then xnodx ....It seems to me that since ASU has won the past few championships, scheduling has become somewhat of a animal that's hard to tame.

Nah, we're just set through 2012 - the AD must be getting lazy only having the schedule done that far out. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Appinator
January 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Nah, we're just set through 2012 - the AD must be getting lazy only having the schedule done that far out. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now if he could only get that ticket thing right....xwhistlex

jk:D

Touchdown Yosef
January 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Probably not, we still have to play the entire souther conference. I had heard we had talks with NDSU before the Michigan game was added last year is there any hope of that door re-opening?

The thing I don't like is without the publicity of playing an FBS school its hurts Armanti's chances of heisman hype, and he may be comming out at halftime of many of these games which won't help his stats too much.

On another note there was a reference made to cleaing up the mess that Rochal Laney made. I have a basic understanding of some of what was going on under him but would like to know more. Would someone send me a pm if they dont mind.

GannonFan
January 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Now if he could only get that ticket thing right....xwhistlex

jk:D

And that's the irony of it - we have an awful, awful (soon to be retiring) AD and yet we're never in these scheduling snafus that Appy St seems to have been in every year and seems to be destined to be in for years to come. xcoolx

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
And that's the irony of it - we have an awful, awful (soon to be retiring) AD and yet we're never in these scheduling snafus that Appy St seems to have been in every year and seems to be destined to be in for years to come. xcoolx
Consider yourself lucky. xpeacex

asu7
January 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I dunno ...

I would much rather have scheduling problems than a ticket problem :)

appmaj
January 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Looks like ASU filled one more home game (not officially released by ASU) which would give them 11 games; 8 SoCon, @ JMU, PC, and Jacksonville. Not a bad schedule that game @ JMU could be a clash of top 5 teams.

This is a dumb question. Who is PC?

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
This is a dumb question. Who is PC?
Presbyterian College. They're a transitional school coming up from DII. They will be in the Big South Conference this coming season.

http://www.presby.edu/

813Jag
January 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Probably not, we still have to play the entire souther conference. I had heard we had talks with NDSU before the Michigan game was added last year is there any hope of that door re-opening?

The thing I don't like is without the publicity of playing an FBS school its hurts Armanti's chances of heisman hype, and he may be comming out at halftime of many of these games which won't help his stats too much.

On another note there was a reference made to cleaing up the mess that Rochal Laney made. I have a basic understanding of some of what was going on under him but would like to know more. Would someone send me a pm if they dont mind.
The bolded part is not necessarily true. When Steve McNair was getting Heisman hype he did it against an all FCS (I-AA at the time) schedule. If he keeps playing as well as he is and that shoulder stays healthy, he'll get his recognition. xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
January 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'd expect to hear some Montana fans talking about App's '08 slate.

appstate38
January 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM

The Griz fans seem to have gone into hibernation till the springtime. So we should be safe for a while. The OOC schedule is was it is, not much else can be said about it. Besides we have a pretty good track record of getting some tough opponents, and we also have the tough conference schedule to look forward to.

Model Citizen
January 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
For Jacksonville this is their Michigan Game-taking on the 3 time National Champ at home with a non scholarship team.:)

Before you compare this game to anything Appalachian St. has attempted, ask yourself how many PFL titles Jacksonville has won. xnonox

JU was a 2-5, 7th place team. Pretty typical for them.

Considering Jacksonville doesn't have scholarships and is considered D-III by virtually everyone reading this, a JU-Chattanooga game would be a more appropriate comparison to the ASU-Michigan game. Jacksonville might win that one in a big upset.

Model Citizen
January 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
This has nothing to do with stepping up. There's only one reason JU is playing this game, and it has a one and five zeros to its right.

lizrdgizrd
January 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
They gotta wait 'till May when we get our 12th game and actually release a schedule. xnonono2x

CamelCityAppFan
January 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM
While I would like to see a tougher opponent in this slot, this one game does not a cream puff schedule make.

We still have to play JMU, GaSo, Wofford, Furman, Elon, and THE Citadel. And I would expect Western Carolina to come in to the 08 season with a new attitude as well.

There's still one more opening. I'm sure Charlie & Co are working to find a game to balance this one out.

Appinator
January 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Before you compare this game to anything Appalachian St. has attempted, ask yourself how many PFL titles Jacksonville has won. xnonox

JU was a 2-5, 7th place team. Pretty typical for them.

Considering Jacksonville doesn't have scholarships and is considered D-III by virtually everyone reading this, a JU-Chattanooga game would be a more appropriate comparison to the ASU-Michigan game. Jacksonville might win that one in a big upset.

They also went 1-3 in non-conference play, making them a 3-8 squad. I don't think it's smack to say that this would be like ASU going to Southern Cal for the 11th game of the season with Armanti hurt and Hunter Stewart (4th string) at QB.

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Morehead State at Eastern Kentucky. There's a PFL reach game to watch.

yosef1969
January 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Actually better in some regards - it counts as a DI win come playoff time and there are many DII teams who would actually be better competition (no offense meant to the PFL or Jacksonville, just my opinion that the top teams in DII could put a scare into the top teams in FCS on any given saturday).

Thank you! More evidence that the non-schollies dilute the division.

You want the real argument for moving to FBS? Look at the schedule for 2008. If ASU is unable to land an FBS game we could be looking at a home game with a D-II to fill out the schedule. Schedules such as this are not going to hold the attention of the fans for very long.

AshevilleApp2
January 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
While I would like to see a tougher opponent in this slot, this one game does not a cream puff schedule make.

We still have to play JMU, GaSo, Wofford, Furman, Elon, and THE Citadel. And I would expect Western Carolina to come in to the 08 season with a new attitude as well.

There's still one more opening. I'm sure Charlie & Co are working to find a game to balance this one out.

I'm curious as to whether you have to fill that 12th game on the schedule? If you can't find a suitable paycheck to fill that slot, does the NCAA have any objections to an 11 game regular season? xconfusedx

Model Citizen
January 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
No penalty for less than 12 games. The Ivies will play 10...same as always.

yosef1969
January 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm curious as to whether you have to fill that 12th game on the schedule? If you can't find a suitable paycheck to fill that slot, does the NCAA have any objections to an 11 game regular season? xconfusedx

Not a requirement but any home game would be too big a pay day not to do it if you can.

UAalum72
January 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
NCAA requires only a minimum of nine games for Division I football, at least half of them against Division I opponents.

AshevilleApp2
January 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
NCAA requires only a minimum of nine games for Division I football, at least half of them against Division I opponents.

Thanks for the clarification (s). xthumbsupx

CharlestonAppFan
January 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Here's my take on our schedule.......after playing 45 games in three years and seeing how some of our players suffered injuries throughout this year (ASU has been lucky the other two years without major injuries), maybe this type of schedule reflects that. That many games has to catch up sooner or later...the law of diminishing returns sets in at some point xnodx.

However, ASU's schedule is not a "cupcake" by any means, and I'm not sure anyone here can argue that it is on that level. The SoCon at some point could have as many as 6 teams ranked (ASU, Elon, GaSo, The Citadel, Furman, Woffie) during the season and maybe all at one time. Could the BSC say that last year? JMU should be a preseason top 5 team, so that is at least 6 teams out of 11 that should/could be ranked on our schedule. xrulesx

Aside from the CAA, what other team in another division has this type of schedule? '07 Montana season = '08 ASU season? I think not xsmhx xnonono2x

AshevilleApp2
January 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
=CharlestonAppFan;826554]Here's my take on our schedule.......after playing 45 games in three years and seeing how some of our players suffered injuries throughout this year (ASU has been lucky the other two years without major injuries), maybe this type of schedule reflects that. That many games has to catch up sooner or later...the law of diminishing returns sets in at some point xnodx. [/B]

However, ASU's schedule is not a "cupcake" by any means, and I'm not sure anyone here can argue that it is on that level. The SoCon at some point could have as many as 6 teams ranked (ASU, Elon, GaSo, The Citadel, Furman, Woffie) during the season and maybe all at one time. Could the BSC say that last year? JMU should be a preseason top 5 team, so that is at least 6 teams out of 11 that should/could be ranked on our schedule. xrulesx

Aside from the CAA, what other team in another division has this type of schedule? '07 Montana season = '08 ASU season? I think not xsmhx xnonono2x

That was in the back of my mind when I originally posted the 12 game question. Is the financial gain worth playing a potential 16 game schedule?

fjblair
January 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Thank you! More evidence that the non-schollies dilute the division.

You want the real argument for moving to FBS? Look at the schedule for 2008. If ASU is unable to land an FBS game we could be looking at a home game with a D-II to fill out the schedule. Schedules such as this are not going to hold the attention of the fans for very long.

I'm not saying that ASU does not need to go BCS and I would like a better schedule, but I don't think the fans are going anywhere. And I completely agree about the diluting of FCS and the SoCon.