PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for some football (FCS Championship style)?!?

Preferred Walk-On
April 13th, 2024, 03:35 PM
It’s a Monday night party!

https://x.com/ncaa_fcs/status/1779238163216556327?s=46&t=87WRptZSZoZWYYgbCKQr_Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonarae
April 13th, 2024, 05:48 PM
xsighx Now it may directly compete with the FBS CFP... with a trade-off... xsmhx

Professor Chaos
April 13th, 2024, 06:09 PM
xsighx Now it may directly compete with the FBS CFP... with a trade-off... xsmhx
It won't - CFP quarters are on 12 /31 and 1/1 and semis aren't until 1/9 (Thursday) and 1/10 (Friday). This will be the Monday after week 18 on the NFL slate so won't have anything to compete with there plus it will presumably be in the MNF time slot for the habitual football viewers to tune in for.

Hammerhead
April 14th, 2024, 12:34 PM
The first round of the the CFP might bump the FCS semifinals off ESPN.

NY Crusader 2010
April 15th, 2024, 11:24 AM

That's the one that hurts. One of my guilty pleasures of the sports calendar is that Friday night in December where there's really nothing on except back-to-back FCS playoff games.

Quarterfinal weekend also good -- hopefully CFP expansion won't ruin that down the road, but I'm sure it will. That Friday night you usually have two games, the 2nd of which is often at 11pm ET if it's a game in Big Sky country. I don't stay up late unless I'm working my side job at a local bar but I will often try to stay up as late as 2am for this. Also, the day after is the Saturday where Army-Navy is standalone at 330pm ET, Heisman ceremony 8pm and FCS always has a quarterfinal game at 12pm ET on ESPN, meaning local kickoff 11am if it's in Central Time Zone.

NY Crusader 2010
April 15th, 2024, 11:28 AM
It won't - CFP quarters are on 12 /31 and 1/1 and semis aren't until 1/9 (Thursday) and 1/10 (Friday). This will be the Monday after week 18 on the NFL slate so won't have anything to compete with there plus it will presumably be in the MNF time slot for the habitual football viewers to tune in for.

I like this as an FCS fan who anticipates being a TV viewer. If I'm an SDSU or NDSU fan and my team has a 50/50 chance of actually going, I'm upset because it kind of messes up the ability to make a weekend out of it. And, since the game is Monday night, you likely have to take two days off work to go. Glass half full -- flights might be cheaper, especially going home since Tuesday a light travel day.

I didn't like that the FCS chip last year overlapped with NFL Sunday slate.

Professor Chaos
April 15th, 2024, 01:07 PM
I like this as an FCS fan who anticipates being a TV viewer. If I'm an SDSU or NDSU fan and my team has a 50/50 chance of actually going, I'm upset because it kind of messes up the ability to make a weekend out of it. And, since the game is Monday night, you likely have to take two days off work to go. Glass half full -- flights might be cheaper, especially going home since Tuesday a light travel day.

I would generally take two days off anyway when it was a Saturday game and get down there on Thursday and come back Sunday. The upside of this for fans who will be there is a much better tailgate that doesn't have to start at the crack of dawn after you've most likely had a late night the night before. Being able to sleep in on game day and get an extended tailgate might make the atmosphere even more rowdy if the stadium is full.

Ridge1982
April 16th, 2024, 12:46 PM
They’ll probably be placed on ESPNNEWS.

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2024, 04:49 PM
They’ll probably be placed on ESPNNEWS.

That's still a TV channel?

Gil Dobie
April 17th, 2024, 06:56 AM
Warmed up for the season by having dinner in Frisco Sunday night.

Bisonoline
April 17th, 2024, 02:29 PM
Warmed up for the season by having dinner in Frisco Sunday night.

Where did you eat?

We just got back from TX a week ago.

Paladin1aa
April 17th, 2024, 02:54 PM
Give me an early peek - your top 5 in the MVFC and in the order you see them.

Edit - your true outlook. No sandbaggin

Gil Dobie
April 18th, 2024, 07:02 AM
Where did you eat?

We just got back from TX a week ago.

Ate at the Sidecar Social, by Ford Field. Dallas Cowboys hangout. Ate at Hutchins in McKinney on Saturday and a leftover brisket sammich Sunday.

MSUBobcat
April 18th, 2024, 10:43 AM

I agree with PC on this, 2 days off work are almost a requirement. There were alumni events the day before and just wondering around the area by the Ford Center interacting with fans was a great time. Really need to get the whole day experience. Coming from MT, there is only 1 direct flight/day from Billings and it gets in at 6pm. From Bozeman, it's 4pm. There are a few options with connecting flights but still arriving at noon-1pm, which is a bit late for my taste by the time you catch an Uber to the hotel and drop off your stuff. Generally, if I'm paying for a flight, I'm making a small vacation out of it at least. If I were a fan of a team closer to Frisco or a big city with multiple flights to DFW that arrive early enough, I can see this being less convenient. Also agree with him on the tailgate being a bit early when the game is on a weekend.

Bisonoline
April 18th, 2024, 11:25 PM
Ate at the Sidecar Social, by Ford Field. Dallas Cowboys hangout. Ate at Hutchins in McKinney on Saturday and a leftover brisket sammich Sunday.

We did Hutchins in McKinney as well. Only a 48 minute drive from where we were at.