PDA

View Full Version : Richmond's Clawson Interviewing at Tennessee

SFspidur
January 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Not news Spider fans wanted to hear. Dave Clawson is interviewing for the offensive coordinator position at Tennesee, which was vacated when David Cutcliffe took the head job at Duke.

We're holding our collective breath, hoping that this isn't the right opportunity for him yet.

Link (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/07/ut-interviews-richmond-coach-clawson/)

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Can someone tell me the salary that a coordinator job at a major program like Tennessee would fetch?

bostonspider
January 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
yeah not the news I wanted to read. Hoping he sticks at UR for a few years (and a few NC's) and then can make the move up as a HC to a big name FBS school, like Tressel did.

Libertine
January 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Cutcliffe made $340,000 in base salary at Tennessee.

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2173449/

GannonFan
January 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
That would be a huge opportunity for Clawson and most likely a raise to boot. If they want him, hard to think he wouldn't take that job. SEC coordinators have a good track record of even bigger things.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Is Phil Fullmer's job safe at UT? I know he won a NC a decade back, but it always seems he's looking over his shoulder. Any coordinator or assistant there would have to worry that they'd go 'out with the wash' if Fullmer gets canned.

appstate38
January 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Is Phil Fullmer's job safe at UT? I know he won a NC a decade back, but it always seems he's looking over his shoulder. Any coordinator or assistant there would have to worry that they'd go 'out with the wash' if Fullmer gets canned.

Excellent point. Fulmer will cut'em loose to save his own hide. Be careful with that one.

HiHiYikas
January 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Most of the fans I have talked to around town just assume Clawson will head for a bigger school within a few years. Not sure the expectations had him out this early, though.

GannonFan
January 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM

Excellent point. Fulmer will cut'em loose to save his own hide. Be careful with that one.

The thing is, the same is true pretty much of any coach in the SEC, or most other big conferences, should they hit a rough patch. Anybody is two bad years away from the unemployment line. Just the nature of the beast.

DTSpider
January 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Of course, unemployment is a little easier to handle if you've just come from a job making $2 million + per year.

bench
January 7th, 2008, 10:09 PM

And what an expansive hide he's had to save

It's good that he's considering Clawson, but he should also probably seriously start considering salads

AppStsGr8
January 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Fulmer signed a contract extension back in December. I've talked with more than a few UT fans who don't see him as one of the sharper tools in the shed. I'd rather see Clawson hold out for better.

JMU-MRD-DAD
January 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I'm sure Clawson will draw attention........I would think he would wait for a head coaching position...he's a young man so it's not like his time is running out....and he has a new stadium being built.

Maybe he can get the UVA position after the Spiders dump the Cavs next year!!!!

jimbo65
January 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Best wishes to Coach Clawson from a Fordham Alum. He did a great job for the Rams as he did for the Spiders. Sad but 1AA (I can never remenber the new initials) is a stepping stone for really good coaches.

We were quite poor for three years after he left(not his doing) and got back to the playoffs this year. If he does leave, hopefully your descent will be brief.

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
And what an expansive hide he's had to save

It's good that he's considering Clawson, but he should also probably seriously start considering salads

Folks around here like to call him The Great Pumpkin when he's on the sideline...

Fulmer signed a contract extension back in December. I've talked with more than a few UT fans who don't see him as one of the sharper tools in the shed. I'd rather see Clawson hold out for better.

I'm not a UT fan, but right in the heart of UT country. After every loss they call for his head and after every win he's given a reprieve. I think getting to the SEC Championship game and making it a good game probably gave him some slack. But, if he lost the SC game I think he was gone.

As for Clawson, there are certainly worse positions to take over. It's a very high pressure situation, but if he does well I think it would be better than doing well at Richmond (although Cutcliffe just got the job at Duke, which I think Clawson could've easily taken over).

ur2k
January 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hopefully he sticks around - things are good around UR football these days and he's the reason for that. But this is the type of job that I figured he would leave for eventually - big time OC job at a major BCS school to get the I-A experience needed to eventually get a head coaching job. Just not this soon.

Eight Legger
January 8th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have it on good authority that Dave Clawson will be named the new head coach of the Washington Redskins tomorrow afternoon. . .

Fordham
January 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
he should have held out for better ...

Eight Legger
January 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
he should have held out for better ...

Good one :D And I say that as a 'Skins fan.

carney2
January 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Doesn't matter. Clawson's bags are always packed. You knew that when you hired him.