PDA

View Full Version : ETSU Lost Soul When They Lost Football

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Good read on ETSU football and how people have reacted, thoughts from the President on how he has never been "against" football and quite a bit more...

AppSt folks will love this one...

“No matter where you go in the United States, just about everybody knows Bristol by the Bristol Motor Speedway. It’s the same way with football. People identify a school by their football team – look at Appalachian State. Now, ETSU doesn’t have one. It’s disappointing. And I just don’t see how a school can have homecoming in the fall around a volleyball game.” – Ron Ramsey, Tennessee lieutenant governor and Blountville resident

http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=78&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=22886&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1131&hn=tricitiessports&he=.com

AshevilleApp2
January 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
It is a shame that ETSU dropped football, sadder yet that they left the Southern Conference in other sports as well. They had/have(?) a strong basketball program.

mcveyrl
January 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Um, I like Senator Ramsey and everything (he's my state senator) but I don't know that he's got his pulse on the nation's thoughts.

Sports fans might idenitfy a school with their football team, but even that's too broad of a generalization. Look at George Mason. ETSU said that they would be putting more funding into their basketball team as a result of dropping football with the hope being that the basketball team's profile would improve. Well, that hasn't happened and the natives are wrestless. Add to that the success of the team just over the mountain and people are all up in arms.

phillyAPP
January 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Um, I like Senator Ramsey and everything (he's my state senator) but I don't know that he's got his pulse on the nation's thoughts.

Sports fans might idenitfy a school with their football team, but even that's too broad of a generalization. Look at George Mason. ETSU said that they would be putting more funding into their basketball team as a result of dropping football with the hope being that the basketball team's profile would improve. Well, that hasn't happened and the natives are wrestless. Add to that the success of the team just over the mountain and people are all up in arms.

I have to say APP has already gainedby ETSU's loss,some great recruits from that side of the RIDGE. ETSU is like a community college. most people commute and that president is an idiot. He wont put any money into Basketball either.

ASU3481
January 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well being a former ETSU fan... now app state since football was droped at east tennessee state....Football will not come back till something is changed in the President Department... Hes trying to turn it into a Medcial College...But rumor has it hes callin it quits in 3 to 4 years...so hopefully ETSU will get the football program up and maybe sometime in 2020.. they can be in the SOCON agian...but its a shame the team was getting better and better...then he just cuts it...

Eyes of Old Main
January 13th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The loss of football for ETSU was bad for them, bad for the SoCon, and bad for sports at our level. Hopefully, they'll get a team started again someday.

FCS Preview
January 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Well being a former ETSU fan... but its a shame the team was getting better and better...then he just cuts it...

I wouldn't say they were getting better and better (4-7, 6-5, 6-5, 6-5, 4-8, 5-7) in their last six years, but it was a shame they cut the team.