PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian St.

roberthollister
January 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Anybody have any idea if App. St. will play any FBS teams this fall? They may do something crazy and play at USC......(lol)

thmst30
January 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Probably not because every one they ask declines like a scared xxxxxxxxxxx. We will probably have to settle for more D-II teams like Lenoir-Rhyne. I wish we could play some FBS games but it doesn't look promising.

HaveFunKc
January 7th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Well, the good thing is our schedule shouldn't be as difficult to fill this year as last. With Samford joining the SoCon (Thank you very much!), we have 8 games filled with conference play, then add @ JMU, supposedly Presby is coming to Boone: that's ten games... And given all the hype from last year and all the FBS coaches bravado about not playing App, I doubt we AE & Company get any takers for 2008; even thought Ga Tech has an opening that fits nicely!! xnodx xnodx

1 more game to fill - any AD's out there willing to take the Mountaineers on??? :D :D :D Please contact Charlie Cobb, Athletics Diretor, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC. He has an ear open to any offer. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I thought AppSt had a few FBS games lined up for the next few years...

And only 11 games? Don't you guys want the 12th this year as allowed, that's some added revenue for the AppSt program!

The Moody1
January 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM
1 more game to fill - xthumbsupx

Actually, you can have 12 games this year so I expect we have two more games to schedule.

APPdopted
January 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Curious to know how many home games might be on App's schedule this year and an estimate of the season ticket price. I am getting my fiance (and myself) season tix for her Christmas present and didn't know if anyone had info for me on that. Thanks!

asu7
January 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Curious to know how many home games might be on App's schedule this year and an estimate of the season ticket price. I am getting my fiance (and myself) season tix for her Christmas present and didn't know if anyone had info for me on that. Thanks!

Well usually season tix prices are 20 to 25 bucks a ticket X how many home games we have ... no different than buying at the gate ...

However you do get extra perks like getting to stand in line for chatty tickets and getting away game tickets to FBS schools if you decide to purchase those tickets ... and you can enter through the express line ...

look for about 6 home games ... homecoming and black saturday games will be 5 bucks extra if they keep it the same as it was this year ...

HighRyder08
January 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM

And only 11 games? Don't you guys want the 12th this year as allowed, that's some added revenue for the AppSt program!

i believe we still have a contract with florida and vtech in a few years....i dont konw how lucky we will be this upcoming year though

proasu89
January 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
PLEASE NOTE:

THIS IS JUST A RUMOR. HAVE HEARD THE GATORS MENTIONED AS A POSSIBILITY FOR 08. WHO KNOWS?

AppGirl
January 7th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I heard that they rescheduled it for 2010.

proasu89
January 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I heard that they rescheduled it for 2010.

Could be in addition to 2010.

The Moody1
January 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Could be in addition to 2010.

They already have twelve games on the 2008 schedule including a game with the Citadel so unless someone is backing out it doesn't look good. Maybe Hawaii decided they have seen enough of the SEC for a while.

at Aug 30 Hawaii Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Sep 6 Miami (Fla.) Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Sep 20 at Tennessee Knoxville, TN TBA --
Sat Sep 27 Ole Miss Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Oct 4 at Arkansas Fayetteville, AR TBA --
Sat Oct 11 LSU Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Oct 25 Kentucky (HC) Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Nov 1 Georgia Jacksonville, FL TBA --
Sat Nov 8 at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN TBA --
Sat Nov 15 South Carolina Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Nov 22 Citadel Gainesville, FL TBA --
Sat Nov 29 at Florida State Tallahassee, FL TB

citdog
January 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
They already have twelve games on the 2008 schedule including a game with the Citadel so unless someone is backing out it doesn't look good. Maybe Hawaii decided they have seen enough of the SEC for a while.

Sat Nov 22 THE Citadel Gainesville, FL TBA --

DO I HAVE TO GO TO GAINESVILLE AND EDUCATE THEM TOO?xnodx

The Moody1
January 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
DO I HAVE TO GO TO GAINESVILLE AND EDUCATE THEM TOO?xnodx

I think you should be offended and back out of the game. We could go down there and put a hurtin' on the "Golden Boy" for you. :D

nwFL Griz
January 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM

The only team that might possibly back out here is The Citadel (which I doubt, maybe Florida backs out on the Dogs, but not so they can face App St). Hawaii is definitely not backing out here as they struggle to find any FBS that will play them, so if they lock one up they are gonna hold.

proasu89
January 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the info.xthumbsupx

EdubAlum
January 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
how funny would it be if App State lost to d2 school next year? :-)

Appinator
January 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM
how funny would it be if App State lost to d2 school next year? :-)

NOT FUNNY AT ALL

knock on wood

HaveFunKc
January 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Actually, you can have 12 games this year so I expect we have two more games to schedule.

Someone has to be optimitic. I'm really hoping it's only 1 more if it means no more D-II games!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mountain Panther
January 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
We will probably have to settle for more D-II teams like Lenoir-Rhyne.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_tw67E88a3pE/R2Fo6AxAgMI/AAAAAAAAAe4/oXz-8YABVKo/s400/balls07.jpg

j/k ;)

proasu89
January 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_tw67E88a3pE/R2Fo6AxAgMI/AAAAAAAAAe4/oXz-8YABVKo/s400/balls07.jpg

j/k ;)

I can't help it, I like cupcakes:)

Mountain Panther
January 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I can't help it, I like cupcakes:)

Sometimes cupcakes bite back....

http://www.nataliedee.com/080405/cupcake.jpg

boonegoon
January 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I heard something about Alabama this year. I wonder how much that is rumor.

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I really don't get the whole "scared of ASU" mentality (not that I don't think it exists). If I was an FBS coach or AD or team I'd be chomping at the bit to play ASU. Even if I was Michigan I'd want a rematch.

Nothing burns me more than getting beat by somebody I think that I should consistently beat. Let me have another shot. If I get beat again, then that says something about me.

Most of the time the FBS mantra is "we've got nothing to gain by playing FCS, only everything to lose." That's true, except for ASU now. You don't think the media hype would be pretty good for an ASU/FBS match-up? As a coach, your pleas to take them seriously wouldn't fall on deaf ears either.

B&G
January 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I really don't get the whole "scared of ASU" mentality (not that I don't think it exists). If I was an FBS coach or AD or team I'd be chomping at the bit to play ASU. Even if I was Michigan I'd want a rematch.

Nothing burns me more than getting beat by somebody I think that I should consistently beat. Let me have another shot. If I get beat again, then that says something about me.

Most of the time the FBS mantra is "we've got nothing to gain by playing FCS, only everything to lose." That's true, except for ASU now. You don't think the media hype would be pretty good for an ASU/FBS match-up? As a coach, your pleas to take them seriously wouldn't fall on deaf ears either.

Exactly. 2008 is a unique situation where beating ASU would actually be viewed as a bigger win than prevailing over some MAC or Sun Belt patsie. You think the fanbase wouldn't have the curiousity factor to come out and see that game over a game against someone like Florida Int'l?

The Moody1
January 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hawaii is definitely not backing out here as they struggle to find any FBS that will play them, so if they lock one up they are gonna hold.

Hawaii was scheduled to open up against Michigan last year. The game was canceled and Michigan played ASU. Hopefully, the same scenario plays out with Florida.

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I heard something about Alabama this year. I wonder how much that is rumor.

2008 Alabama Schedule

08/30 Western Kentucky
09/06 Tulane
09/20 at Arkansas
09/27 at Georgia
10/04 Kentucky
10/11 UTEP
10/18 Ole Miss
10/25 at Tennessee
11/01 Northern Illinois
11/08 Mississippi State
11/15 at LSU
11/29 Auburn

id say all of its a rumor.....shame though, thatd be a fun trip.xrolleyesx

GoldandBlack
January 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
It's a cryin' shame that UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke, and even East Carolina don't view games with in-state schools the same way South Carolina and Clemson do. xeyebrowx

It would make scheduling a lot easier, and would sure be more entertaining than this annual "find your opponent" game.

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
It's a cryin' shame that UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke, and even East Carolina don't view games with in-state schools the same way South Carolina and Clemson do. xeyebrowx

It would make scheduling a lot easier, and would sure be more entertaining than this annual "find your opponent" game.

agreed, the got a good thing going in SC...guess they arent pansies in the Palmetto State.xrulesx

Appinator
January 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM

I kind of agree with this too. I think it would work out best for an up and coming FBS team to play us, someone out of the Big East or C-USA. I think there will be more of a spot light as ASU takes the field next year with Armanti getting early Hiesman hype. A “mid-major” FBS team would greatly benefit from beating the “Michigan slayers” to start off the season, and not be too terribly hurt if they lost.

As for a traditional power, I have to think that they wouldn't be scared, just too "schedule savvy" to put us on the slate for a while.

AppStsGr8
January 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Well said. I can't imagine any FBS school truly being afraid to play Appalachian. No team fields the same team two years in a row, so "fear" doesn't translate from one season to the next very well. It would make sense to me from a media perspective for an FBS team that might not always get good media coverage to schedule Appalachian and then prepare like crazy for the game. Show well or beat Appalachian and you get more coverage than you might have otherwise. I'd be more afraid to be Appalachian in that equation - they're the real ones with reputation on the line since the expectation of winning even the biggest games is very high.

ERASU2113
January 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM

We do for '09-'11, just not for '08 yet. Schools that have been asked have declined or backed out

ERASU2113
January 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM

If you do a search on these boards for a thread about WFU head coach Jim Grobe, there's your evidence about FBS being scared of ASU. He clearly states in a radoi conversation before their bowl game that Wake and other schools don't want to be the next Michigan.

Regardless, it's a moot point, however, I can't wait to make the trip to face you guys. In '06 you guys came here, and were beaten 21-10. In the playoffs JMU makes a return visit, should have won, but a fumble changed the game and ending of the season. In the series, ASU leads 12-3 over JMU, hopefully recent history will create a great rivalry between two good schools.

DLS
January 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I doubt any school is "afraid" of appstate as much as they are of taking an unneccessary risk. i understand there is a statement to be made but fbs teams would be gambling with a lot of money at which there is little for them to gain from winning except a 30sec spot on sportcenter in which they will tie the story back to the michigan vs. asu game. whats the incentive to play ASU?

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
If you do a search on these boards for a thread about WFU head coach Jim Grobe, there's your evidence about FBS being scared of ASU. He clearly states in a radoi conversation before their bowl game that Wake and other schools don't want to be the next Michigan.

Regardless, it's a moot point, however, I can't wait to make the trip to face you guys. In '06 you guys came here, and were beaten 21-10. In the playoffs JMU makes a return visit, should have won, but a fumble changed the game and ending of the season. In the series, ASU leads 12-3 over JMU, hopefully recent history will create a great rivalry between two good schools.

Um, I wasn't denying the fear existed (please read my post). I'm just saying it's irrational. If I'm Rich Rodriguez, I'm calling up ASU and saying "Let's do it again!" You know that whoever plays ASU will be ready this time...and if ASU wins again, well, all the better for them!

Appinator
January 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Um, I wasn't denying the fear existed (please read my post). I'm just saying it's irrational. If I'm Rich Rodriguez, I'm calling up ASU and saying "Let's do it again!" You know that whoever plays ASU will be ready this time...and if ASU wins again, well, all the better for them!

I think that if Rich-Rod calls ASU, it's the only FBS team that we shouldn't pick the phone up for. He taught us the spread when Jerry Moore went to WVU and Utah during the summer of 05. It's kind of like a Don Nelson/Avery Johnson thing, where he knows what he has and hasn't taught us and is ready to beat us into the ground. I'm taking the W and running, give me anyone else in the Big Ten though.

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I think that if Rich-Rod calls ASU, it's the only FBS team that we shouldn't pick the phone up for. He taught us the spread when Jerry Moore went to WVU and Utah during the summer of 05. It's kind of like a Don Nelson/Avery Johnson thing, where he know what he has and hasn't taught us and is ready to beat us into the ground. I'm taking the W and running, give me anyone else in the Big Ten though.

That's understandable. But I would be chomping at the bit if I was any other Big Ten team (except maybe Minnesota...:D ).

nwFL Griz
January 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
2008 Alabama Schedule

08/30 Western Kentucky
09/06 Tulane
09/20 at Arkansas
09/27 at Georgia
10/04 Kentucky
10/11 UTEP
10/18 Ole Miss
10/25 at Tennessee
11/01 Northern Illinois
11/08 Mississippi State
11/15 at LSU
11/29 Auburn

id say all of its a rumor.....shame though, thatd be a fun trip.xrolleyesx

That schedule is at least 4 months old, as UTEP pulled out in August. Alabama's schedule is as follows:

8/30 Clemson (at the Georgia Dome)
9/6 Tulane
9/13 Western Kentucky
9/20 @Arkansas
9/27 @Georgia
10/4 Kentucky
10/18 Ole Miss
10/25 @Tennessee
11/1 Arkansas St
11/8 @LSU
11/15 Miss St
11/29 Auburn

Anyway, as far as App St playing an FBS...the only SEC teams with an opening are:

LSU (Sep 13) and maybe Arkansas (though it looks like their schedule is just waiting to be announced, but I have 12 games listed for them)

ACC has a couple teams with openings, and the Big 12 has Oklahoma with an opening. Other than that, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and the smaller conferences.

Appinator
January 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I went back and checked goasu.com and App didn't release their schedule until May 8th!! I know we were having some problems finding an opponent last year, but it can't be as bad as what we are probably facing this year. That leaves us four months to the day to find out.xnonono2x

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I went back and checked goasu.com and App didn't release their schedule until May 8th!! I know we were having some problems finding an opponent last year, but it can't be as bad as what we are probably facing this year. That leaves us three months to the day to find out.xnonono2x

after researching the threads on here from last year about this time....we announced we were playing michigan first game somewhere in early to mid february.....the 13th possibly, but not sure. so we really got about a month before we are behind last year.

Appguy
January 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I went back and checked goasu.com and App didn't release their schedule until May 8th!! I know we were having some problems finding an opponent last year, but it can't be as bad as what we are probably facing this year. That leaves us three months to the day to find out.xnonono2x

*4 months

Appinator
January 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
*4 months

xoopsx haha thanks

ERASU2113
January 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Oh I know you weren't it was mainly for the people that think there isn't that fear of ASU, or any of the top teams of FCS, traveling to face an FBS priogram. ASU was the first to knock down a top team, but plenty of programs can do it as well. JMU, UNI, NDSU....and the list could go on.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see if or who wants to take on ASU.

Rekdiver
January 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM
'08 nobody
ASU has Florida, LSU, VT and possibly UGA (not necessarily in that order)consecutive years after that.
I think is a crying shame we have such problem getting games.

Also, I am one of the few that doesn't want to play UNC because I think we have nothing to gain and everything to lose from playing a mediocre program.

HaveFunKc
January 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM

I doubt any school is "afraid" of appstate as much as they are of taking an unneccessary risk. i understand there is a statement to be made but fbs teams would be gambling with a lot of money at which there is little for them to gain from winning except a 30sec spot on sportcenter in which they will tie the story back to the michigan vs. asu game. whats the incentive to play ASU?

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=3754

Link of the radio interview with FBS Head Coach Jim Grobe of Wake Forrest University... Interesting comments start around mark 6:40. Nothing comes out saying "afraid" - agreed, but... Rafael Palmero didn't do steroids either. xrolleyesx

What ever happened "To be the best, you have to play the best"? xconfusedx You can say FBS has nothing to gain by playing top FCS programs all day, but in reality, if it makes your team better (even if you lose at first) isn't that the point of playing for a national title??? Good coaches take loses and learn from them to make the team better (or they're supposed to xwhistlex )

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
"What's the incentive of playing App?"

beating a top 35 ranked AP poll team.

sure it was 2 weeks (after michigan and this week), and they'll fall off....but it still looks better than beating some teams. i for one, do not agree with the theory that the are scared of ASU....whether they say that too the media or not. there is a lot more that goes into it than that. I dont guess it is truly neccesary for top FBS teams to schedule good OOC competition (see LSU and OSU), but it could come down to it for some team that it may make a difference, whether little or not, that they had played and beating Appalachian instead of Temple.

does it actually begin to help FBS teams to play appalachian state?

just a thought.