View Full Version : Washington Post: Academics & Playoffs

DFW HOYA
January 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Could major college football survive with a playoff system? The Washington Post thinks so, and uses ASU as the exaxmple.

(Apparently, "FCS" isn't catching on with major media. The article consistently uses "I-AA".)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/06/AR2008010602034.html

Ud1Hens
January 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Good read. Yes, App. St. was busy taking the exams and such but think about Delaware's players...With travel issues to and from both UNI and SUI as well as leaving for Chatty they were only in school 6 total days in the final 3 weeks. Many of them not only had to take their finals before the championship game but they needed professors/friends to e-mail them class notes, homework, as well as finishing papers due well before their rough road to the finals.

lucchesicourt
January 6th, 2008, 10:43 PM
FCS, D2, and D3 all have playoffs before and during finals. Why would it be any more difficult for a BCS team than these other divisions? Hmmm, are they trying to infer that BCS athletes are not capable of doing what the other divisions are doing? I hope not!!

BearsCountry
January 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wouldnt an I-A (FBS) level playoff start finals week and then contiune on when NO classes are in session? The only thing I could see is missing graduation day on a Saturday/Friday. That is kind of a big deal.

Dane96
January 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
There was a snippet in the Sporting News which backed the Tranghese argument (prior to Tranghese stating it).

Of course, we know it is bull**** and all about the $$$$$