PDA

View Full Version : Two FCS Foes Next Year for Florida State

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Western Carolina.
Tenn-Chattanooga.

Wonder what the Seminole Nation thinks about this one. How does a major FBS program end up scheduling two FCS games?

Think the only programs to have done this in recent years are Hawaii (Charleston Southern, Northern Colorado this year) and New Mexico State (when they had Southeastern La. and Texas Southern in 2006 and again with Southeastern La and Arkansas-Pine Bluff in 2007).

Not smart scheduling -- FSU's out of conference is Colorado and Florida, both home dates. Hope they miss out on a bowl game because of it! ;)

WCU and UTC, beat up on the Seminoles!

RadMann
January 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
FSU needs more wins! Just kidding... ;)

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Kansas State did it in 2003 (McNeese and UMass).

HaveFunKc
January 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I thought I heard 2008 was Bobby's last year with the 'Noles - retiring (not trying to start any rumors - I'm not up on Florida State)... If this IS true, then I could see this, in that they would want every possible home game they could get in Bobby's last season and to make each of those games look as good as possible (no matter the name). The thinking of, each will be a sellout anyway, so let's bring in a team we 'know' we can run up the score and make it look good in Bobby's last season thing... Come on Mocs and Cats!!! xthumbsupx

Just a thought - assuming what I was told is true... xeyebrowx

Plus......

Remember, from "The Longest Yard" this would be two Southern Conference 'warm-up' games, just not against Appalachian State. Me-thinks Adam Sandler has gotten enough cr@p about that already. Ha!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

FargoBison
January 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
They want two FCS teams because all those players that missed the bowl game are still suspended for two more games. Bobby said on TV that he was looking for FCS teams to help soften the blow of being without all those players.

catamount man
January 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hopefully, Dennis Wagner and the Catamounts will make some history next September 6th. I plan on making this trip.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

HighRyder08
January 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Being a Seminole fan, i think its smart to schedule to weaker opponents as your first two games...... Jimbo Fisher is going to do some work in the off season and continue to get this team back to the glory days... whether you believe it or not, FSU will be back..

ucdtim17
January 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Being a Seminole fan, i think its smart to schedule to weaker opponents as your first two games...... Jimbo Fisher is going to do some work in the off season and continue to get this team back to the glory days... whether you believe it or not, FSU will be back..

Yeah we wouldn't want the team to actually suffer from all the NCAA violations xrolleyesx

D1scout
January 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I wonder why this powerful FBS program didn't schedule a couple of teams like App State, Delaware, Northern Iowa, UMass, Richmond, Youngstown State, or James Madison? See what you did App State!xsmiley_wix

Big Dawg
January 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Interesting.

However I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing us play FSU. I mean we're both in Tallahassee and only a mile apart. But don't let FAMU actually pull the upset....LMAO

As a matter of fact FAMU and FSU only play each other in 1 sport...Softball

walliver
January 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Clemson plays two FCS teams in 2008, also.
The Citadel and SC State.

Maybe it is an ACC thing.
(Or a Bowden thing).

What I find most interesting, is that there are a lot of bad FBS teams they could schedule (Sunbelt, MAC, etc.) I far as I know, FBS teams can't count TWO FCS games towards bowl eligibility,

TheOne14
January 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I wonder why this powerful FBS program didn't schedule a couple of teams like App State, Delaware, Northern Iowa, UMass, Richmond, Youngstown State, or James Madison? See what you did App State!xsmiley_wix

From what I heard App was in talks with both UNC and FSU for a game but both decided to go with other FCS schools

mountaineertider
January 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I believe only one FCS win counts towards a team's win count for bowl purposes.

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
One FCS counts towards bowl eligibility...Clemson too, eh? I can't imagine the heat that these schools are feeling for this scheduling...even Hawaii got their act together this year (outside of the coaching situation)...

813Jag
January 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
One FCS counts towards bowl eligibility...Clemson too, eh? I can't imagine the heat that these schools are feeling for this scheduling...even Hawaii got their act together this year (outside of the coaching situation)...
There hasn't been much discussion on warchant. Right now people are more focused on recruiting. I did see one topic about FSU having a lighter road schedule than last year.

asu7
January 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I would just about give a finger for a UNC APP game!

Hell we already beat #5 Michigan what else can I ask for :)

It took UNC longer to beat a top 5 team that it took us ... :)

UNC beat MIAMI in 2004 which was their first win over a top 5 program ... and they have been around a lot longer than us lol

o well we get someone in 2009 bring em on I don't care :)

HighRyder08
January 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
i wish app could get a rematch with nc state....i would love to take them

D1scout
January 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM
From what I heard App was in talks with both UNC and FSU for a game but both decided to go with other FCS schools

I rest my case! Again, see what App did!!xsmiley_wix Like I contend, most FBS school have learned that a top FCS program has more talent on the field than a middle of the pack or bottom feeder in the major conferences. They will shy away from these top FCS games more in the future. Go App!xthumbsupx

UCAMonkey
January 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Clemson plays two FCS teams in 2008, also.
The Citadel and SC State.

Maybe it is an ACC thing.
(Or a Bowden thing).

What I find most interesting, is that there are a lot of bad FBS teams they could schedule (Sunbelt, MAC, etc.) I far as I know, FBS teams can't count TWO FCS games towards bowl eligibility,

Cheaper payouts to schedule FCS teams.

schmofstra
January 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Another reason is that Joe Paterno is breathing down Bowden's neck. I think JoePa is only one win behind him now, and the Nits are gonna be darn good next year again.

I-AA Fan
January 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have not seen the schedule, but this is not surprising. This is not going to be too unusual:

1. They began to schedule the I-AA's because they lost their bye week. So,

2. With 2008 having an extra-week, they are just scheduling another I-AA to compensate.

schmofstra
January 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, I checked Penn State's 2008 sked for I-AA fodder. Ahhhh, hosting Coastal Carolina on Aug. 30!!!

Now, what are the chances that our fine friend CCUCheer will use that occasion to make her first Northeast appearance? At Beaver Stadium, no less! Roadtrip, anyone? Could be the biggest AGS Convention ever. As a Penn State alum, Poppa Schmofstra offers to provided the drool buckets.

Penn State's other I-AA opponent in '08 is Syracuse -- LOL, wink, wink, Hahaha!

sportsnut17
January 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hopefully, Dennis Wagner and the Catamounts will make some history next September 6th. I plan on making this trip.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Made my room reservations last night, myself and 3 sons will be going.

813Jag
January 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Made my room reservations last night, myself and 3 sons will be going.
Welcome to the board. xthumbsupx I may try to make that ride from Tampa, maybe have an AGS get together.

sportsnut17
January 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the board. xthumbsupx I may try to make that ride from Tampa, maybe have an AGS get together.

Thank you, have been reading boards for about a year, just decided to join.