PDA

View Full Version : R.C. Slocum as Lamar head coach?

roberthollister
January 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Assuming the referendum passes, who will Lamar University name as its next head football coach? R.C. Slocum was mentioned. I know it's crazy but it could be valid. If you think of the logistics, Slocum lives in College Station and he's probably looking for something to do. He loves A&M and has had opportunities to move elsewhere. But to be able to come back to Southeast Texas and resurrect the Lamar football program would be pretty enticing. Money isn't an issue. But R.C. Slocum as Lamar's head football coach is one of the many rumors floating around.

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM
We've been hearing about RC Slocum taking this job as a possibility for sometime...what's the deal with his contract in A&M? Doesn't he get a good $1M to be the advisor to the President or something like that? A pretty sweet deal of some sort. He'd be 65 in 2009.

Here's one that the Lamar folks would like, since most of the ones I've corresponded with via the 'Net seem to be Cougar fans...

Alan Wendell. Former La Marque HS head coach, born in Lake Jackson (Tx), has worked at both A&M and of course, a UH defensive coordinator...plenty of regional ties...

roberthollister
January 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
That's interesting. What other names have been thrown out there? Todd Dodge, maybe? He may want to leave that UNT gig.

McNeese75
January 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
That's interesting. What other names have been thrown out there? Todd Dodge, maybe? He may want to leave that UNT gig.

uhhh, June Jones, Nick Saban, xcoffeex

Freightliner
January 6th, 2008, 07:39 PM
any thoughts to Ray Alborn coming back?

xrotatehx

McTailGator
January 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Assuming the referendum passes, who will Lamar University name as its next head football coach? R.C. Slocum was mentioned. I know it's crazy but it could be valid. If you think of the logistics, Slocum lives in College Station and he's probably looking for something to do. He loves A&M and has had opportunities to move elsewhere. But to be able to come back to Southeast Texas and resurrect the Lamar football program would be pretty enticing. Money isn't an issue. But R.C. Slocum as Lamar's head football coach is one of the many rumors floating around.

Several McNeese Boosters that are friends or former team mates with RC when he played at McNeese has flat out asked him to come to Lake Charles to be our AD for over a year now. We still have an Interim AD.

Bottom line, He's working 30 hours a week making a Million Dollars a year and loving every minute of it.

NUFF SAID. xcoffeex

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM

The Lamar faithful are big high school fans (even more so than Univ of Houston Cougar fans)...they'd probably love nothing more than to see a HS coach take over the reigns, especially one with strong connections in the "Golden Triangle".

Alan Wendell -- my early favorite in the clubhouse....xnodx

GeauxLions94
January 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM
uhhh, June Jones, Nick Saban, xcoffeex

Hey, Bobby Petrino might be available. Nah, he'll leave R-Kansas (slight jab taken at Les Miles there) before that. :p

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Lamar's last new sport -- women's soccer, hired a coach who started the program and he quit on the team before the season was even over. His wife was involved there, some sort of assistant position, may have been volunteer. Forget the details...

Can't flub up a hire of a new program. Most of the SLC coaches are former players or coaches within the conference. Perhaps Lamar hires an SLC assistant. Plenty of quality coaches around, some whom have applied for other HC jobs in the SLC...

roberthollister
January 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Women's soccer and football are two totally different athletic programs. You can't draw comparisons. First things first, the referendum must pass. It would be a monumental disappointment for Lamar University if this thing doesn't pass. But I think it will.

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Women's soccer and football are two totally different athletic programs. You can't draw comparisons. First things first, the referendum must pass. It would be a monumental disappointment for Lamar University if this thing doesn't pass. But I think it will.

The mention of women's soccer does matter-- because I think it was a lesson learn by the athletic department on the hire. How often is it that a school starts a new program? Not too often!

It's going to pass at Lamar, because the people that will show up to vote are the people that care about the subject. I'm sure the people that care most are the people that are pro-football. Lamar has nothing to worry about.

Lamar's biggest problem will be their fan base once they do add football. Will they rally behind a school that has FCS football? The community has not had football at the collegiate level in a good period of time. When they did, they did not support it at the I-AA level -- not like they were any good to begin with. McNeese fans will attest to that...

roberthollister
January 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I see where you're coming from, with Lamar as a commuter school. The rumor about Lamar going FBS seems like bull****. They would have to have tremendous support and I don't know that it will happen. I hope so.

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I see where you're coming from, with Lamar as a commuter school. The rumor about Lamar going FBS seems like bull****. They would have to have tremendous support and I don't know that it will happen. I hope so.

Never said anything about LU being a commuter school...

As it relates to FBS, I'd say in the system (Texas State University System), that Lamar is "third in line" behind Texas State - San Marcos and Sam Houston State. Both have larger enrollments, have stronger academics (when any flagship argument is brought up, there's never talk about Lamar) and especially, stronger support on the Board of Regents (SHSU has the strongest right now currently)

Doubt the system would allow LU to go FBS before letting the San Marcos and Huntsville based institutions to have their shot...

centexguy
January 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
The mention of women's soccer does matter-- because I think it was a lesson learn by the athletic department on the hire. How often is it that a school starts a new program? Not too often!

It's going to pass at Lamar, because the people that will show up to vote are the people that care about the subject. I'm sure the people that care most are the people that are pro-football. Lamar has nothing to worry about.

Lamar's biggest problem will be their fan base once they do add football. Will they rally behind a school that has FCS football? The community has not had football at the collegiate level in a good period of time. When they did, they did not support it at the I-AA level -- not like they were any good to begin with. McNeese fans will attest to that...

The firing of the women's soccer coach during the season really has no bearing on football. The football program will be in the spotlight the moment they bring it back. The soccer program was started because they need it for football. There's going to be millions of dollars poured into the football program so they will hire the best they can. They started up the soccer program on a shoestring budget.

And about community support, since the other schools in the SLC average around 10,000 (the same as many high schools in the area), Lamar will do just fine in the SLC. Attendance at Lamar games bottomed out around 4,000 or 5,000 in the last 3 or 4 years or the program (late 80s) when they went 1-AA independent and the administration kept talking about killing the program. With all the new dorms on campus and a booming economy in the area, football will be a success this time around. Just like in basketball, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamar lead the SLC in attendance every year.

As far as going FBS, nobody from Lamar's athletic department has even mentioned that. A lot of fans have brought it up, but going FBS is still at least 5 years away. And "flagship" status has nothing to do with it. Besides, there's no school in the system worthy of flagship status.

TexasTerror
January 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
The firing of the women's soccer coach during the season really has no bearing on football.

Your obviously missing what I am saying. I said that the lessons learned from that coach will be helpful as they bring in a football coach. Never did I refer to it being in the spotlight or anything else, just that there were lessons learned as that was not good for Lamar's starting up a program. Again, how often do you start up a program of any sorts? Not often nowadays.

As far as going FBS, nobody from Lamar's athletic department has even mentioned that. A lot of fans have brought it up, but going FBS is still at least 5 years away. And "flagship" status has nothing to do with it. Besides, there's no school in the system worthy of flagship status.

Of course it's atleast five years away as you have to toil around in FCS. Lamar's fan base needs to realize that they better have success at the FCS level before they can move up, because it'll help get them a conference and actually show people the ability that the community has to support the program. Doubt Lamar will support a losing program, really do...

As it relates to flagship, the only two schools with arguments are in San Marcos and Huntsville. The system knows who butters their bread, it's those two schools and they would never let Lamar go FBS before those two schools go. The fan base in Lamar does not realize this, but this is the same fan base that continually lives in the 80s as it relates to their basketball team.