View Full Version : a new attitude in Cullowhee from ACT

catamount man
January 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Wagner brings new outlook to Cullowhee
by Tyler Norris Goode, [email protected]
published January 5, 2008 12:15 am
Read 2 comments »

CULLOWHEE — The last time Western Carolina introduced a football coach, much of the news conference in Cullowhee centered around Kent Briggs’ ties to the Catamounts’ glory days under late coach Bob Waters.

That was Jan. 4, 2002 — long before a 22-43 record and two straight seasons without a Southern Conference win got Briggs fired.
Advertisement

On that exact date six years later, WCU introduced Briggs’ successor to the media and WCU alumni and supporters at a packed hospitality room inside the Ramsey Center. Unlike Briggs, Dennis Wagner never played a down for the Catamounts or spent a Saturday afternoon as a WCU assistant coach.

In fact, Wagner spent most of his coaching career in the central and western U.S. and knew very little about Western North Carolina until an executive search firm contacted him about the job last month.

So on Friday, this new coach mostly talked about the Catamounts’ present and future.

“The seniors have one more year, and the juniors have two more years, so we want to win now,” said Wagner, who was officially hired on Monday. “We have to create and establish an atmosphere that makes them feel the same way.

“That’s going to be our biggest task between now and next fall, is making sure that the players we’ve already got on campus develop that attitude and understand that we’ve got to go into every game believing that we’re going to win.”

WCU athletic director Chip Smith insisted on Friday that he did not seek out a coach with no previous ties to the program.

“I wouldn’t say it has benefits, but it brings a whole different perspective to the place because you come in with fresh eyes,” Smith said. “It’s like anytime anybody goes to live in a new home or takes a new job or (walks into) a new restaurant. You see things a little differently than if you’d been there before.”

Other than returning players, one of the few remaining links to the program’s past under Wagner will be assistant coach John Scott. A former player and an assistant coach under Briggs the last two seasons, Scott remained after Briggs was released and has been in charge of daily operations since Nov. 17.

Wagner announced on Friday he has retained Scott to coach the defensive line.

“Obviously, (Wagner) is going to have some new ideas,” Scott said. “He can come in and build and start his own tradition here. Sometimes you need a new way of thinking.”

Wagner announced one other additional hire to his coaching staff: Ashland (Ohio) University assistant Steven Clinkscales (defensive backs and academic liaison).

Wagner previously announced the hiring of offensive coordinator Keith Heckendorf, defensive coordinator Matt Pawlowski and receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Andy Follett.

He said he hopes to make one more hire, a running backs coach.

Wagner said he would coach the offensive line and have six full-time assistants and two graduate assistants.

Contact Tyler Norris Goode via e-mail at [email protected]

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Eyes of Old Main
January 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Glad to see some excitement in Cullowhee. You guys certainly deserve it.

The Cats
January 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think Coach Wagner is the real deal, just what the 'Whee needed.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&dato=20080105&lopenr=80104128&Category=NEWS01&Params=Id=95802

catamount man
January 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I think Coach Wagner is the real deal, just what the 'Whee needed.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&dato=20080105&lopenr=80104128&Category=NEWS01&Params=Id=95802

He didn't try to impress the crowd with "promises" of SoCon titles, blah, blah. He acknowledged he and his staff have a lot of work to do in order to turn our program around. A real no nonsense, blue collar work ethic. I like that!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

bobbythekidd
January 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Six straight loosing seasons under the last coach, a really short recruiting season, and having to install new systems under new coaches..... This guy has a huge bull by the horns.

It is good to see that he understands and will admit to the situation. Most coaches blow sunshine up the fans' collective butts and promise playoffs out of the gate. WTG Western! You guys deserve a break in the Whee.

catamount man
January 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Six straight loosing seasons under the last coach, a really short recruiting season, and having to install new systems under new coaches..... This guy has a huge bull by the horns.

It is good to see that he understands and will admit to the situation. Most coaches blow sunshine up the fans' collective butts and promise playoffs out of the gate. WTG Western! You guys deserve a break in the Whee.

Briggs had 1 winning season going 5-4 in 2005, but I knew what you meant.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

bobbythekidd
January 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Briggs had 1 winning season going 5-4 in 2005, but I knew what you meant.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
Ooops. you are correct. You guys scored one more point than all the teams you faced scored against you. Talk about a close one.

My mistake.