PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Whew, 2007 -- Southland Conference

CSN-info
January 4th, 2008, 02:00 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Southland Conference
Champions: McNeese State Cowboys
Game Of The Year: November 11th, McNeese State 27, Northwestern State 21.
Not many teams gave the Cowboys a run for their money during the regular season in 2007, but the 4-7 Demons managed to claw back and tie the game at 21 midway through the fourth quarter. It would be the only game in McNeese State’s historic 11-0 season that the Cowboys would be tested, and they delivered: runningback Todrick Pendland rumbled for a 63 yard touchdown run to give the Cowboys the lead, and defensive back Jonathan Walker would seal the win with an interception. Amazingly, McNeese would survive a litany of injuries to key players at wideout, runningback and on the defense and still manage to win the Southland title.
Highest Moment: Nicholls State 16, FBS Rice 14.
Winning a game versus an FBS team is always sweet. But doing it against ex-Texas State head football coach David Bailiff – who always had problems with Nicholls State as the Bobcats’ coach – was especially sweet. Nine of the points came from the defense (defensive back Ladarius Webb returned an interception for a touchdown) and special teams (a blocked punt through the end zone ended up being the difference in the game).
Biggest Disappointment: Southland Athletic Directors.
The teams of the Southland in effect kept most of their teams out of postseason consideration by late October. Knowing that new member Central Arkansas was playoff-ineligible, teams like Nicholls State and Sam Houston State still elected to pack their schedules with sub-D-I opponents and FBS money games. Just switch one of those games with, say, Prairie View A&M (who played only 10 games this year) and their chances of the postseason would have gone up astronomically.
Player Of The Year: McNeese State defensive end Bryan Smith.
It’s hard to overestimate what Smith’s presence meant for the Cowboy defense with his 51 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 10 ½ sacks and 4 forced fumbles last year. And that was only in 10 games.
Unsung Player Of The Year: Central Arkansas quarterback Nathan Brown.
The Russellville, Arkansas native didn’t miss a beat after playing a Division I schedule: his 3,084 passing yards and 27 touchdowns gave him Southland Offensive Player of the Year honors and a 6-5 record for his Bears.
What If: Sam Houston State had played Texas State’s schedule?
Let’s assume the Bearkats would have still lost to Central Arkansas and McNeese State. Could the Bearkats could have gone 3-1 against D-II Abeline Christian, South Dakota State, Cal Poly, and FBS Baylor, and still gone 4-2 against their Southland leaguemates? If they had, they would have been in the playoffs.
A Peek Towards 2008:
The scary part is such a large part of the standout players will be taking the field next year. Bryan Smith is gone, but McNeese State fans will be enjoying quarterback Derrick Fourroux again; Central Arkansas fans will be enjoying quarterback Nathan Brown and runningback Brent Grimes next year; Northwestern State will see runningback Byron Lawrence and quarterback Germayne Edmond returning; and don’t count out Sam Houston State with quarterback Rhett Bomar.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM
What If: Sam Houston State had played Texas State’s schedule?
Let’s assume the Bearkats would have still lost to Central Arkansas and McNeese State. Could the Bearkats could have gone 3-1 against D-II Abeline Christian, South Dakota State, Cal Poly, and FBS Baylor, and still gone 4-2 against their Southland leaguemates? If they had, they would have been in the playoffs.

3-1 in OOC (including a win against a Div II) plus 4-2 against SLC still comes one short of seven games needed to make Div I playoffs -- unless you were assuming SHSU beat Baylor and lost to ACU. That'd be a crazy result right there...

bobcatalum05
January 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Well the Bobcats had a better shot at beating Baylory over ACU. Not that we are pround of that. Heck I think ACU would give Baylor a good game.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
3-1 in OOC (including a win against a Div II) plus 4-2 against SLC still comes one short of seven games needed to make Div I playoffs -- unless you were assuming SHSU beat Baylor and lost to ACU. That'd be a crazy result right there...

Including a win over Texas State, that would have given SHSU an 8-3 record with 7 D-I wins. That would have been enough for the playoffs. Instead, SHSU played two D-IIs, FBS Oklahoma State and NDSU - two non-counters, a money game and what ended up being a brutal OOC game. More to the point, by packing the schedule with two D-IIs even at 8-3 SHSU would have been on the outside looking in since they'd have had 6 D-I wins.

McNeeserocket
January 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Southland Conference
Champions: McNeese State Cowboys
A Peek Towards 2008:
The scary part is such a large part of the standout players will be taking the field next year. Bryan Smith is gone, but McNeese State fans will be enjoying quarterback Derrick Fourroux again.

Charles Burton either forgot to mention or does not know that McNeese will get back the 2006 Conference Player of the Year, WR/RB/KR/PR Steven Whitehead, who suffered an early season ending injury in 2007 (lost beginning of the 2nd game). In addition, WR Quinten Lawrence will return on offense. Returning on defense, after being out one year in 2007, will be 2006 All Southland Conference DB Jumelle Juneau. On Special Teams our kicker (Blake Bercegeay) and Kick/Punt Returner (Steven Whitehead) will come back. What we will need will be a couple more RBs to back up Jones and Pendland.

GeauxLions94
January 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM

A Peek Towards 2008:
The scary part is such a large part of the standout players will be taking the field next year. Bryan Smith is gone, but McNeese State fans will be enjoying quarterback Derrick Fourroux again; Central Arkansas fans will be enjoying quarterback Nathan Brown and runningback Brent Grimes next year; Northwestern State will see runningback Byron Lawrence and quarterback Germayne Edmond returning; and don’t count out Sam Houston State with quarterback Rhett Bomar; and Southeastern Louisiana's duo of running back Jay Lucas and hard-hitting safety Tommy Connors.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

Fixed it for you xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
GL94,

I thought Lucas was graduating this year. With Lucas in the fold still, there's still plenty of quality running games (Poullard at Sam, Bush in San Marcos and Byron Lawrence at NWST)...

GeauxLions94
January 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
GL94,

I thought Lucas was graduating this year. With Lucas in the fold still, there's still plenty of quality running games (Poullard at Sam, Bush in San Marcos and Byron Lawrence at NWST)...

No, Lucas has one more year left. That's a pretty stout bunch of backs listed.

BEAR
January 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I have a feeling that the SLC is going to be strong this year. Only problem with parity is that so few teams worthy of a playoff spot will probably sitting at home beat up after close losses. Much like the situation I saw year after year in the old GSC. But this conference will be the strongest I have seen it in years. Sam will play a few FBS schools as usual. UCA will play Tulsa. And I can imagine the other SLC schools will beat up on ULM or Sunbelt team. xthumbsupx xlolx

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Sam will play a few FBS schools as usual. UCA will play Tulsa. And I can imagine the other SLC schools will beat up on ULM or Sunbelt team. xthumbsupx xlolx

Sam only has Orange Bowl champion Kansas on tap as far as we know -- not sure if there's anything else on tap with FBS...I'd figure at this point, we'd know something.

Sun Belt is becoming a better conference. Still had it's bumps against the SLC (see McN over ULL) last year, but on the whole, the conference is improving in football. Still has a long way to go, but there are plenty rungs of the ladder that this conference has scaled in just the last year or two...

smallcollegefbfan
January 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Charles Burton either forgot to mention or does not know that McNeese will get back the 2006 Conference Player of the Year, WR/RB/KR/PR Steven Whitehead, who suffered an early season ending injury in 2007 (lost beginning of the 2nd game). In addition, WR Quinten Lawrence will return on offense. Returning on defense, after being out one year in 2007, will be 2006 All Southland Conference DB Jumelle Juneau. On Special Teams our kicker (Blake Bercegeay) and Kick/Punt Returner (Steven Whitehead) will come back. What we will need will be a couple more RBs to back up Jones and Pendland.

I would think he knew that. Whitehead and Quinten Lawrence are all supposed to back. I thought there was a press release stating that?? Among others who should be back are Jamelle Juneau, Lance Fremin, Jamie Leonard, etc. I think McNeese will have a lot of weapons on offense. Juneau is one of the best safeties in the FCS if he gets the books right.

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM

They also really, really need somebody to at least come close to what Smith did to change the game when he was in there. They really, really missed him when he was out. The fact that people had to double and triple team him made everybody else on the defensive front more effective, I think if you had to pick one player McNeese could least afford to lose, he was it.

I was thinking about it and it kind of reminded me of a year...I don't remember which...when they started the season without Jake Morrison at defensive end then got him back. When he came back it became a totally different defense. Changed everything. Same thing happened this year, I think, except at the end of the year when Smith went down.

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I would think he knew that. Whitehead and Quinten Lawrence are all supposed to back. I thought there was a press release stating that?? Among others who should be back are Jamelle Juneau, Lance Fremin, Jamie Leonard, etc. I think McNeese will have a lot of weapons on offense. Juneau is one of the best safeties in the FCS if he gets the books right.

I tell you what...if Jamie Leonard would be back I'd be very excited. McNeese did pretty well with running back by committee but there was, I think, a distinct and definite drop off between Leonard and everyone else. To me that was somebody who was an incredible talent when healthy who never really got publicized because he had injury problems in 2006 then, again, a season ending injury in 2007.

But, unfortunately, I don't think he's coming back. I think the timing of his injury was such that he can't be granted an additional year of eligibility.