View Full Version : The CSN Way: Whew, 2007 -- Patriot League

CSN-info
January 4th, 2008, 01:53 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Patriot League
Champions: Fordham Rams
Game Of The Year: November 3rd, Fordham 24, Holy Cross 21.
Linebacker James Crockett was the hero in this one, recovering a muffed punt in the end zone for a touchdown and nabbing the game-sealing interception with under a minute to go. It capped off an improbable run at the title; in the preseason, the Rams were picked to finish sixth of seven teams.
Highest Moment: Patriot League vs. Harvard.
The games against the Ivy League mean a lot to Patriot League fans, and Lehigh and Holy Cross fans celebrated mightily after improbable last-second wins against the Crimson. Dominic Randolph completed a 40 yard bomb to wideout Thomas Harrison with 19 seconds remaining to grab a 31-28 win, while Lehigh’s “strip-and-scoop” from linebacker Tim Diamond and defensive lineman Paul Bode would give Lehigh a 20-13 win.
Biggest Disappointments: Lehigh And Lafayette.
The preseason picks to battle it out for the league title ended up limping instead to 5-6 and 7-4 records respectively. The Mountain Hawks lost five of their last seven games, while the Leopards lost three home games against 4-6 Princeton, Fordham and Colgate to doom their chances at the title. Lafayette's 21-17 win over Lehigh ended up being for bragging rights only for the first time in four years.
Player Of The Year: Holy Cross quarterback Dominic Randolph.
The pass-happy Holy Cross offense resulted in a banner year for Randolph with 3,604 yards passing and 34 touchdowns.
Unsung Players Of The Year: Name A Fordham Player.
How Fordham could only have three players on the Patriot League first team is beyond me. Name a player: quarterback John Skelton, safety Matt Loucks, wideout Asa Lucas – they’re all very good players that more than deserved their Patriot League title this year. They’re a solid team that is here to stay.
What If: Colgate had been more consistent?
It’s hard not to look at 7-4 Colgate and look at a bunch of games that seem like they could have been pulled out. What if they had rallied to beat Fordham (they lost 34-31)? What if they had gotten that extra touchdown to beat hated rival Cornell (they lost 17-14)? What if they had just held on to that seven point lead against Holy Cross (they lost 27-20)? Win one – just one – of those games and they’re playing Northern Iowa in round one of the playoffs.
A Peek Towards 2008:
It’s hard not to like Fordham to repeat as champions considering that their playmakers on offense and defense (Skelton and Crockett) return, while Holy Cross should continue to be a daunting opponent with Randolph in his senior year.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

Fordham
January 4th, 2008, 08:57 AM
well done, Chuck.

Pard4Life
January 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Lafayette was 7-4 this year.

Leopard Man
January 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Why does chucky boy always try to trash our Leopards in subtle ways,He knows we were 7-4.Didnt we beat the chicken squawks and Holy cross.In my opinion chucky has lost all his credibility covering the Patriot League.Hmmm i cant wait for his recruiting rankings,do you think chucky gives us an F this year...GO PARDS!!!http://ubrgk.com/logan-huckles.jpg

carney2
January 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, c'mon, LFN, get with the program. Your article covered a lot of territory and I could understand your screwing up the records of a Northern Arizona or a Southern/Northern/Western/Eastern/Middle Illinois, but a team in your own backyard; the one you have been trained to hate the most? For the record

LAFAYETTE'S FINAL RECORD WAS 7-4, NOT 6-5!

Reading the entire Patriot League section, my guess is that you somehow retroactively awarded Pennsylvania a win over Lafayette in Bagnoli's Bungle. That being the case, I hereby award wins to Harvard and Princeton over the South Mountain Fowl in spite of Coen's four leaf clover. That makes the Squawks a more realistic 3-8. Your article should be so corrected.

Yours in Curmudgeondom,

c2

TheValleyRaider
January 4th, 2008, 12:36 PM
whew!

Post whore :p

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, c'mon, LFN, get with the program. Your article covered a lot of territory and I could understand your screwing up the records of a Northern Arizona or a Southern/Northern/Western/Eastern/Middle Illinois, but a team in your own backyard; the one you have been trained to hate the most? For the record

LAFAYETTE'S FINAL RECORD WAS 7-4, NOT 6-5!

Reading the entire Patriot League section, my guess is that you somehow retroactively awarded Pennsylvania a win over Lafayette in Bagnoli's Bungle. That being the case, I hereby award wins to Harvard and Princeton over the South Mountain Fowl in spite of Coen's four leaf clover. That makes the Squawks a more realistic 3-8. Your article should be so corrected.

Yours in Curmudgeondom,

c2

Trust me, it was an honest mistake - the correction is on its way to the editors.

Go...gate
January 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Interesting take on the Colgate season; I never really thought of that angle. Good work.

carney2
January 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Trust me, it was an honest mistake - the correction is on its way to the editors.

Still, it's mucho good times to beat up on one of my favorite Squawks. Keep up the good work, and never turn your back on a Pard. :p