PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Whew, 2007 -- Ohio Valley Conference

CSN-info
January 4th, 2008, 01:49 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Ohio Valley Conference
Champions: Eastern Kentucky Colonels
Game Of The Year: October 6th, Eastern Kentucky 28, Eastern Illinois 21.
The Panthers threw down the gauntlet to the Colonels: If you’re going to beat us, you’ll have to do it through the air. Eastern Kentucky Allan Holland ended up doing just that, connecting on 30 passes in 44 attempts for 327 yards passing and 2 touchdowns.
Highest Moment: Austin Peay’s Successful Return to the OVC.
By beating Southeast Missouri State 34-31 in double overtime, the Governors not only ensured only their second winning season since 1985 – they were in the thick of the playoff hunt with a team that last year had zero football scholarships as a member of the Pioneer Football League.
Biggest Disappointment: Wherefore Art Thou, Skyhawks?
Tennessee-Martin started the year as favorites to repeat as OVC champions from last year. Instead, they started a dizzying 0-6 before winning four of their last five games.
Player Of The Year: Eastern Kentucky Defensive Back Derrick Huff.
64 tackles and seven passes defended is the sign of a great defensive back, but what really sets him apart was his FCS-leading nine interceptions, including three versus Murray State.
Unsung Player Of The Year: Tennessee-Martin runningback Don Chapman.
The Skyhawks’ problems had nothing to do with Chapman, whose 1,125 yard rushing year with 11 touchdowns capped off a career with 5,017 career rushing yards and 48 touchdowns – the best in UT-Martin history.
What If: Tennessee State’s Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie hadn’t blocked that kick?
The all-American standout for the Tigers had four blocked kicks on the year, but his blocked kick in overtime versus Austin Peay gave Tennessee State a 33-32 win and would ultimately give the Tigers the inaugural “Sergeant York Trophy” given to the winner of the “quadrangular season football series between the four Ohio Valley Conference schools located in the state of Tennessee.” If Austin Peay had made the kick and won in overtime, they would have gotten the trophy – and might they even have been considered for a playoff spot?
A Peek Towards 2008:
Every year it seems like an OVC team comes out of nowhere to compete for a title, but it seems difficult to fathom Eastern Kentucky or Eastern Illinois not competing for the title with their starting quarterbacks and some quality runners returning. Could Tennessee State put everything together and make a run, with runninback Javarris Williams returning?

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

Cocky
January 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
2008 will have EKU, EIU, and JSU competing for the championship as always. I believe the surprise team next year will be SEMO.

Maroons
January 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM
How can you not like the Austin Peay story? For years, OVC fans complained that they dropped scholarship football. They announce their return and then the OVC fans complain that they will further weaken the conference. And what do they do in their first year? Make a respectable run and finish in the middle of the pack. It excited me.

It's hard to disagree with your assessment, Cocky. I'd like to see some detailed reports on each OVC team and who they lose and return for next season. I've been considering trying to compile it myself... maybe someday.

Golden Eagle
January 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Why SEMO, Cockster?

Cocky
January 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM
SEMO will only lose 3 starters on offense and defensive each. Only 1 key special teams players will graduate. They also started 2 freshmen OLs. If the staff can recruit this year like last year SEMO will start to turn the corner.

Cocky
January 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.redhawkstv.com/banners/BB%20DBLHDR%201-7-08%20TALL.jpg

Plus they are going to put her in the endzone.

Maroons
January 5th, 2008, 08:01 AM
http://www.redhawkstv.com/banners/BB%20DBLHDR%201-7-08%20TALL.jpg

Plus they are going to put her in the endzone.

Oh my... was that a "basketball advertisment" on the SEMO website? That is funny.

Cocky
January 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Oh my... was that a "basketball advertisment" on the SEMO website? That is funny.

Yes

Golden Eagle
January 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Funny indeed, but hey, they sure know how to advertise it.

Cocky
January 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
As bad as our basketball team is maybe we should try the sex sells technique.