PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Whew, 2007 -- Great West Football Conference

CSN-info
January 4th, 2008, 01:36 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Great West Football Conference
Champions: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Game of the Year: November 17th, South Dakota State 29, North Dakota State 24.
Not only was the “Dakota Marker” on the line, but the Jackrabbits had a chance to deny the Bison an undefeated season and a Great West title in both teams’ last game in the Great West. And South Dakota State did just that, with cornerback Brock Gentile intercepting Bison quarterback Steve Walker in the final minutes to preserve the Marker and the title. Jackrabbit runningback Corey Koenig outdueled Bison runningback Tyler Roehl – Koenig had 131 yards rushing to Roehl’s 79.
Highest Moment: North Dakota State 44, Central Michigan 14.
Wins over FBS teams are not all that uncommon, but the way the Bison completely dismantled a team that ended up playing in a bowl game this year made the whole subdivision take notice. It was the worst loss at home in 30 years for the Chippewas. Roehl had a monster day, rushing for 179 yards and 3 touchdowns, while Bison quarterback Steve Walker was in big-time form going 25 for 31 with 261 yards and one touchdown.
Biggest Disappointment: The Southern Utah Athletics Department.
Southern Utah certainly had a tough year at 0-11 – until you take a peek at their schedule. They played THREE of FCS’ undefeated teams on the year (Montana, Northern Iowa, McNeese State), played two more teams in the top ten (Southern Illinois and North Dakota State), three perennial playoff teams (Youngstown State, Montana State, and Cal Poly) and finally a D-II powerhouse (North Dakota). The Thunderbirds showed some real fight, having a chance to knock off some of these lofty programs – but athletic director Ken Beazer elected to not renew the contract of head coach Wes Maier. How can you give a coach a schedule like that and expect him to succeed?
Player of the Year: North Dakota State runningback Tyler Roehl.
Hard to believe that he hadn’t gotten a single carry before this year after seeing him get an amazing 1,431 yards rushing and 21 touchdowns... in 10 games.
Unsung Players of the Year: Cal Poly quarterback Jonathan Dally and Cal Poly wideout Ramses Barden.
Dally simply does it all: 763 yards rushing, 2,238 yards passing and an eye-popping 41 total touchdowns. Barden is Dally’s No. 1 target, with 1.467 yards receiving and 14 touchdowns.
What If: Cal Poly had held on against North Dakota State?
All you had to do is prevent the big play! Had Cal Poly prevented that Walker strike to Cole Heckendorf with 38 seconds remaining to suffer a 31-28 defeat, they would have been a very strong candidate for an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs.
A Peek Towards 2008:
Cal Poly has Dally and Barden coming back, which should make them the immediate odds-on favorites to win the Great West title and a possible playoff chance next year. North Dakota and South Dakota play a partial Great West schedule in 2008 and are scheduled to join the conference in 2009. Will they make the same kind of noise the Jackrabbits and Bison did?

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

slostang
January 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I agree that Jonathan Dally was an unsung player. He was the second highest rated QB in the FCS and he threw for 2,238 yards and 29 TDs with only 5 INTs and he ran for another 763 yards and 12 TDs while leading the number one offense (487 yds/gm) and 6th scoring offense (39.3 pts/gm). With all he accomplished, he only made second team All-GWFC and had no national honors. It was Jonathan's first year in the offense. With 10 starters returning on the offense next season, I expect that he will be receive his share of honors.

I would not say that Ramses Barden was an unsung player seeing that he was co-offense player of the year in the GWFC an was a named to every FCS All-American team.

I am looking forward to next season as far as Cal Poly is concerned. They have 18 returning starters. I think if they can stay healthy, Cal Poly can make a deep run in the playoffs.

footballer23
January 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Playing only a partial schedule will make it hard for UND and USD to make some noise in the Great West, but I'm not real sure they'd have a huge impact otherwise right off the bat. I think USD may struggle for at least a couple of years. UND may have a similar transition to SDSU, but with all of the transitions that school is going through right now, it may be tough for them to have the same success the Bison have has this soon. But, hey, ya never know.

slostang
January 5th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Any input from UC Davis fans. The Aggies are going to be loaded on offense if they can find a trigger man (QB). What does the defense look like in 2008?

SUU played a brutal schedule, but played tough in some games. How will they do for a new coach?

What do the UND and USD fans think. Can the Sioux or Coyotes make a run in their first year?