PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Whew, 2007 -- Big Sky Conference

CSN-info
January 4th, 2008, 01:20 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

Big Sky Conference
Champions: Montana Grizzlies
Game of the Year: October 6th, Montana 24, Eastern Washington 23.
It looked like it could be the biggest test the Grizzlies faced all year in the regular season, and ultimately it was. With the lead changing four times in the second half, Grizzly kicker Dan Carpenter put the 34 yard field goal through the uprights with 26 seconds left to seal the win – and ultimately, sealing the Big Sky title as well.
Highest Moment: Eastern Washington 44, McNeese State 15.
The Eagles gave the citizens of Cheney, Washington a thrill as they pounded the undefeated Cowboys in the first round of the playoffs. That they won may not have been a surprise – that it wasn’t even close was a shock.
Biggest Disappointment: Montana State.
Although you could make a case for Portland State, whose celebrity head football coach Jerry Glanville had them limp to a 3-8 season in his first year, you have to think that the Bobcats, with another first-year coach in Rob Ash, had it worse. From a fantastic 4-1 start (the only loss coming to FBS Texas A&M), to lose four of their last six was a sight to behold. The biggest lowlight could be their 16-13 loss to 1-11 Northern Colorado, breaking the Bears’ sixteen game losing streak and for all practical purposes knocking the Bobcats out of the playoff race.
Player of the Year: Montana defensive end Kroy Biermann.
The senior also walked away with the Buchanan award after amassing 68 tackles, 15 sacks, and five forced fumbles on the season.
Unsung Player of the Year: Northern Arizona Safety Cyrus Igono.
Sure, he was a special-teams hawk with an eye-popping four blocked kicks on the year (including one he returned for a touchdown), but he got even better on defense as the year went along with three interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.
What If: Montana had held off Wofford?
What if Montana kicker Dan Carpenter had connected on that 47 yard field goal and sent Wofford home in the first round? Might that have been the spark that would have them beat Richmond and Appalachian State to get to Chattanooga – both games at home at Washington-Grizzly stadium?
A Peek Towards 2008:
Whomever steps into the situation at Eastern Washington upon the departure of head coach Paul Wulff to Washington State will have an excellent team to build upon, with quarterback Matt Nichols, super receiver Aaron Boyce and defensive end Greg Peach returning. Montana State might be one to watch too, with a lot of players returning including standout linebacker Bobby Daly.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669

grizband
January 4th, 2008, 03:11 AM
The CSN Way: Whew, 2007
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

The 2007 season began -- and ended -- with historic achievements. Conference by conference, here’s a look back at the “year that was” in FCS football. The champions, the games of the year, the highest moments, the biggest disappointments, the best players and the unsung heroes, the "what if's" and the peeks forward. Whew, 2007!

What If: Montana had held off Wofford?
What if Montana kicker Dan Carpenter had connected on that 47 yard field goal and sent Wofford home in the first round? Might that have been the spark that would have them beat Richmond and Appalachian State to get to Chattanooga – both games at home at Washington-Grizzly Stadium

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89669
Oh what could have been for the Griz...xnonono2x

Bobcat in NC
January 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hard to disagree with any of it, except naming MSU as the biggest disappointment. Without a doubt, that "honor" goes to PSU. Now, if you're talking about expectations on December 31, 2006 vs. actual performance instead of expectations during preseason vs. actual performance, an argument could be made. I just think that finishing 6-5 with a coach who comes aboard just a couple of months before the season starts isn't the worst thing ever (although it's not nearly what Bobcat fans expected when MSU was sitting at 4-1). However, going 3-8 with a...errrrr...coaching legend, is a complete disaster (especially considering the mouth on Glanville).

already123
January 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I would agree. Ever since the hiring of Glanville, all we have been hearing about was how PSU was gonna win conf or make the playoffs. A year later, they are hoping for a winning season. Expected to go 8-3, finished 3-8. I'd go with PSU on this one

mvemjsunpx
January 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I agree, Portland was the biggest disappointment, not MSU. I wasn't buying into the playoff hype for the Vikings, but even I thought they'd go 6-5. They managed to go 3 games worse than even my "hater" prediction put them.

As for next year, I figure the title will come down to UM & EWU with NAU in the mix & Montana State a dark-horse if they can find a good QB. The twist this time might be that Montana will be the offensive team & Eastern will be the defensive team (UM loses most of the defense, but returns most of the offense; EWU loses 4 O-Linemen, but returns most of their defense). It's not quite as clear with the new coach at EWU, however.

Interesting note: the Eagles haven't beat Montana in Cheney since 1991 (the '02 win was in Spokane).

CrazyCat
January 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I agree, Portland was the biggest disappointment, not MSU. I wasn't buying into the playoff hype for the Vikings, but even I thought they'd go 6-5. They managed to go 3 games worse than even my "hater" prediction put them.

As for next year, I figure the title will come down to UM & EWU with NAU in the mix & Montana State a dark-horse if they can find a good QB. The twist this time might be that Montana will be the offensive team & Eastern will be the defensive team (UM loses most of the defense, but returns most of the offense; EWU loses 4 O-Linemen, but returns most of their defense). It's not quite as clear with the new coach at EWU, however.

Interesting note: the Eagles haven't beat Montana in Cheney since 1991 (the '02 win was in Spokane).

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/42/423553m.jpg

Mark Iddins, QB, 6-3, 205, Jr, Mukilpeo, WA (Santa Ana JC/Kamiak HS)
A transfer from Santa Ana College, Rivals.com ranks this year's
All-Mission Conference quarterback as one of its top junior college
quarterbacks. He was an all-conference and all-area choice as a senior
at Kamiak High, where he was his team's offensive player of the year and
a Scout.com Northwest Hot 100 selection. He was also all-conference as a
junior. Iddins threw for 2,432 yards in 10 games this year, posting a
17-to-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio and .523 completion percentage.
From Rob Ash: "Mark is exactly the type of quarterback we were looking
for, a player who combines good, accurate passing skills with mobility.
He's not a one-dimensional player, he can make plays with his arm or his
legs, and he's also an excellent student of the game. Our highest
priority in this recruiting class was to sign a quarterback, and we feel
we've achieved that in signing Mark Iddins."

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3103317 (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3103317)

CatFan22
January 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Should be a good battle for QB this offseason. I would really like Rasmussen to get the nod, but if Iddins gets it I would not be worried at all.

eagle1
January 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
With Coach Baldwin's return to EWU has our new HC, our offense should not miss a beat if we can replace the offensive line. With Baldwin has our HC our defense will be more aggressive and should be better next fall. I am excited about the Eags in 2008 and think that we can make some noise again nationally if we can survive the Big Sky season. Go Eagles!!!