PDA

View Full Version : "It's official: Joe Taylor signs to coach FAMU" -report

bluedog
December 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
HAMPTON - Joe Taylor's long and successful tenure as Hampton University football coach is over. Taylor, HU's football coach the past 16 years, said Sunday that he has signed a contract to become the new head coach at Florida A&M.

A report published Saturday cited a source as saying Taylor had accepted the FAMU job. Taylor did not confirm the report until Sunday because he had not signed a contract.

FAMU will introduce Taylor as its coach during a press conference today. Taylor succeeds Rubin Carter, who was fired Nov. 20, three days after the Rattlers finished the 2007 season with a 3-8 record.

Read the story (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-famutaylor,0,1913253.story?coll=hr_tab02_layout)

eaglesrthe1
December 31st, 2007, 08:21 AM
If a coach were to leave a SoCon school to go and coach at another SoCon school (voluntarily), I am certain that he would be considered a pariah by fans of the original school.

How do the fans at Hampton view this move? I understand that the dynamics of coaching at a HBCUs may be different. So does that buy a little more leeway from a fan perspective?

jstate83
December 31st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Dang.xconfusedx

What was the problem at Hampton.
Why did he leave?

Was he not getting along with the Hampton Administration, (sport's wise), or is FAMU offering that much to coach without having to be the AD also?

HIU 93
January 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Why did he leave?

Now that this is over, I can discuss it. The biggest issues were money and control. He received a $87,000 pay raise, and that is what sealed the deal.