PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lennon to be new coach at SIU???

SDFS
December 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM
It sounds like coach Lennon is leaving UND for SIU. Congrats and best of luck to coach Lennon. UND will have a tough time replacing him.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=9768&pid=299162&st=0&#entry299162

Kelly Green
December 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I have to admit that this came as a suprise but at least the off-season will be (more) interesting...good luck to Coach Lennon.

PS - Kick some Bison A$$ on October 4th.

SalukiBand
December 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM
According to the Grand Forks newspaper, Dale Lennon (North Dakota head coach) has taken the job at SIU, replacing Jerry Kill.

bincitysioux
December 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Good luck to Coach Lennon, and SIU. You guys just got a class guy who can flat out coach. The Salukis won't miss a beat.

ab4app
December 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
what did I miss, where did SIU's coach go, I thought he was a good fit there

bisonguy
December 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
what did I miss, where did SIU's coach go, I thought he was a good fit there

From SIU to NIU.

swaghook
December 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Don't worry I have it on good authority that UND will be just fine going through the transition.;)

UND's transition will be as smooth as NDSU's was, if not smoother. I guarantee it. - DaveK

pcola
December 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Good luck Dale. I guess it was only a matter of time before he moved on.

It does put UND in a sticky predicament though. Currently UND has a search committee for a new president who will take office June 1st, a search for a new AD who should be named by April and now a search for a head football coach in the middle of recruiting season. I'm sure there is joy in Fargo.:)

Should be an interesting 2008 at UND.

BisBison
December 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Good luck Dale. I guess it was only a matter of time before he moved on.

It does put UND in a sticky predicament though. Currently UND has a search committee for a new president who will take office June 1st, a search for a new AD who should be named by April and now a search for a head football coach in the middle of recruiting season. I'm sure there is joy in Fargo.:)

Should be an interesting 2008 at UND.

Why would you think there is joy in Fargo? That would imply we care more about what happens in GF than now having to play against a quality coach in our conference.

slostang
December 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
According to the Grand Forks newspaper, Dale Lennon (North Dakota head coach) has taken the job at SIU, replacing Jerry Kill.

Link to Grand Forks article: http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=61890&section=homepage

ab4app
December 27th, 2007, 06:16 PM
From SIU to NIU.

Interestingxcoffeex , thanks

pcola
December 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Why would you think there is joy in Fargo? That would imply we care more about what happens in GF than now having to play against a quality coach in our conference.
I'm assuming that you are the same BisBison that is in this thread (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168767#post168767) and you don't see some joy from the folks in Fargo?

Hambone
December 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Good luck Dale. We sure will miss you. You Saluki fans just got yourselves a great coach. I think SIU may be my second favorite FCS team xpeacex

skinny_uncle
December 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Good luck Dale. We sure will miss you. You Saluki fans just got yourselves a great coach. I think SIU may be my second favorite FCS team xpeacex

Not only a winner but a coach who has had some experience beating SDSU and NDSU who are joining the Gateway next year. He looks like a good choice.

Saluki_man
December 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
He is going to have a big challange on offense, especially with a new QB.

swaghook
December 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I'm assuming that you are the same BisBison that is in this thread (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168767#post168767) and you don't see some joy from the folks in Fargo?
I see some posters that enjoy a good train wreck once and awhile.:p

skinny_uncle
December 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Could some of the Fighting Sioux fans give us some more details on this guy?

pcola
December 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Could some of the Fighting Sioux fans give us some more details on this guy?
Great Coach. Good person. Class act. You will not be disappointed.

Here is a link on Lennon. (http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58642&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=752143&Q_SEASON=2007)

Mountain Panther
December 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Oh shoot...he already knows how to beat UNI. xbawlingx

swaghook
December 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Look on the bright side....It should be easier to beat UND in a revenge match.;)

skinny_uncle
December 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Along with NDSU and SDSU. Could be a good feature next year.

JBB
December 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM
He won some games, mostly against over manned teams in D2. He almost always had an overwhelming scholarship advantage.

Big games? He was a disappointment. Won some games against the BISON and thats his claim to fame. But he did very little with them.

Poor playoff record and his 1 national championship came with a lot of players from the previous coach.

He has the ability to stretch and mold the truth to suit himself and he manipulated UND for years. It finally fell apart. But hey, along with the president leaving and having 2 ADs to work for whats new?

Now for the good news. He maintained order on his team. He is a disciplined coach that recruits outstanding student-athletes and he is a good spokesman.

In my opinion its a good hire for SIU. He will either sink or swim, but its not in the bag either way.

As far as the feelings in Fargo? Hey, its the only way he is going to get to bring a team to the Fabulous Fargo Dome. It hurts UND and really is exposing what a mess their transition is.

In the final analysis, their football program is headed for a slump maybe the tank.

Herdman
December 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM
He won some games, mostly against over manned teams in D2. He almost always had an overwhelming scholarship advantage.

Big games? He was a disappointment. Won some games against the BISON and thats his claim to fame. But he did very little with them.

Poor playoff record and his 1 national championship came with a lot of players from the previous coach.

He has the ability to stretch and mold the truth to suit himself and he manipulated UND for years. It finally fell apart. But hey, along with the president leaving and having 2 ADs to work for whats new?

Now for the good news. He maintained order on his team. He is a disciplined coach that recruits outstanding student-athletes and he is a good spokesman.

In my opinion its a good hire for SIU. He will either sink or swim, but its not in the bag either way.

As far as the feelings in Fargo? Hey, its the only way he is going to get to bring a team to the Fabulous Fargo Dome. It hurts UND and really is exposing what a mess their transition is.
In the final analysis, their football program is headed for a slump maybe the tank.Explain this comment a bit more in detail. UND will have 58 of the possible 63 scholarships in their first year of transition. It's a good university, much better than NDSU or either South Dakota university. Yes, they are looking for a new UPres, AD and now HC. How does that "expose what a mess their transition is"?

BisonBacker
December 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Explain this comment a bit more in detail. UND will have 58 of the possible 63 scholarships in their first year of transition. It's a good university, much better than NDSU or either South Dakota university. Yes, they are looking for a new UPres, AD and now HC. How does that "expose what a mess their transition is"?

Please explain how UND is a much better university the NDSU? WE lead they Follow. I guess if you like a follower then yeah they have it all over us.xnodx

dlsiouxfan
December 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Please explain how UND is a much better university the NDSU? WE lead they Follow. I guess if you like a follower then yeah they have it all over us.xnodx

UND has many strong academic programs and is head and shoulders above NDSU in most programs where they compete with each other.

Herdman
December 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Please explain how UND is a much better university the NDSU? WE lead they Follow. I guess if you like a follower then yeah they have it all over us.xnodxOh boy, going D1 before UND made you better? xnonono2x Thank god for the academic side of college.

BisonBacker
December 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Oh boy, going D1 before UND made you better? xnonono2x Thank god for the academic side of college.

No not just academics but I wouldn't expect you to really know. NDSU is a leader in more then just athletics. Go on though and live in your dream world. xnonono2x

FargoBison
December 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Explain this comment a bit more in detail. UND will have 58 of the possible 63 scholarships in their first year of transition. It's a good university, much better than NDSU or either South Dakota university. Yes, they are looking for a new UPres, AD and now HC. How does that "expose what a mess their transition is"?

UND is already in the middle of looking for a AD and President. Now they need to find a football coach, who was probably a major reason in why they fired their AD. It is a mess up there.

As for the universities themselves, they are both considered tier 3 by US News. They are both state Flagships, and in my opinion very solid academic institutions. Only a fool would say one is better then the other.

FargoBison
December 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I'd also like to congratulate SIU on making a great hire, Lennon is a class act and a great coach.

Go Bison
December 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'd also like to congratulate SIU on making a great hire, Lennon is a class act and a great coach.

Very true. Nice posts FargoBison. The last thing that we need on this tread is to have a debate over who is better NDSU or UND. Good luck to Coach Lennon at SIU!

GOKATS
December 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Lennon was on the short list at MSU late last spring (as was Kill) after the Kramer fiasco.

SIU is in good hands with Lennon and probably won't skip a beat next year.

BisBison
December 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM

I guess I wasn't thinking of that. I was thinking of having to play against him as a coach in our conference. No joy there, I think we can agree on that. And yes there is joy in Fargo that our coach appears to be staying, at least for now.

BisBison
December 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM
UND has many strong academic programs and is head and shoulders above NDSU in most programs where they compete with each other.

That must be why und's enrollment is climbing so fast and NDSU's is falling year after year. xconfusedx Oh wait it is the other way around isn't it.xnodx

JBB
December 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I have no problem with the hire. Its a good move for SIU. Bad for UND. This really sets them back.

Thanks for explaining my comment to the Herdman FargoBison. Things are really unraveling up there. How do you hire a head coach effectively when you have no administration?

BisonBacker
December 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM
UND is already in the middle of looking for a AD and President. Now they need to find a football coach, who was probably a major reason in why they fired their AD. It is a mess up there.

As for the universities themselves, they are both considered tier 3 by US News. They are both state Flagships, and in my opinion very solid academic institutions. Only a fool would say one is better then the other.

Agreed 100% and yes Dale is a class act.

Thunderstruck84
December 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
As someone who has no love lost for the University of North Dakota I can tell all the SIU fans that Dale Lennon is a good man to be leading a football program. He's always been classy and respectful and deserves the same in return. Regardless of what UND's AD or Presidential situation is, it's a tremendous loss for their program and their university. I wish him the best at SIU (except when they play NDSU of course).

I don't know if this is true for all NDSU fans but personally, I'm happy to see Lennon leave UND, I had a hard time coping with the fact that I liked their football coach so much. ;)

NTHOMPSON
December 28th, 2007, 10:22 AM
As someone who has no love lost for the University of North Dakota I can tell all the SIU fans that Dale Lennon is a good man to be leading a football program. He's always been classy and respectful and deserves the same in return. Regardless of what UND's AD or Presidential situation is, it's a tremendous loss for their program and their university. I wish him the best at SIU (except when they play NDSU of course).

I don't know if this is true for all NDSU fans but personally, I'm happy to see Lennon leave UND, I had a hard time coping with the fact that I liked their football coach so much. ;)

Agreed, He is a fine coach. It was a good hire by SIU.
President ?
AD ?
HC ?
Nickname issues ?
Transition?
Should be an interesting couple years up north.
In und form, they will probably come out smelling like a damn rose.

Ronbo
December 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
If UND is forced to change their nickname would it set a case and a precedent to force other schools that have Native American nicknames to change theirs?

Here are some, can you think of more? These are FBS.

Seminoles
Aztecs
Warriors
Indians
Fighting Illini
Chippawas
Utes

NTHOMPSON
December 28th, 2007, 11:23 AM
If UND is forced to change their nickname would it set a case and a precedent to force other schools that have Native American nicknames to change theirs?

Here are some, can you think of more? These are FBS.

Seminoles
Aztecs
Warriors
Indians
Fighting Illini
Chippawas
Utes

I believe alot of these schools received permission from local tribes for the use of the name. und is currently in discussions with the Sioux tribes in ND for use of the name

siouxfantastic
December 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Agreed!!!!!