PDA

View Full Version : How things have changed

SuperJon
December 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I went to Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem, NC) tonight for the first time since last year. I normally expect to see a lot of college aged kids wearing App St hoodies since a large amount of students are from the Winston area. I saw that like I thought I would. What I didn't expect to see was a ton of little kids wearing ASU hoodies and shirts, App shirts in all of the sports stores, and everything. I was in one store and a kid that had to be around eight years old walked in and goes, "Oh man, ASU 3-peat shirt, that thing's awesome." There was more App clothing on people in the mall than any of the Big Four combined.

Zoo
December 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I just hope they aren't bandwagoners. xlolx

HaveFunKc
December 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Many are, but you got to admit - it's nice to see anyway!!

In this part of the country - when do Tar Heel, Wolfpack, Blue Devil or Deacon football fans get to celebrate National Championships??? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Surf's up! Let's ride the wave!!! xthumbsupx

crunifan
December 26th, 2007, 11:22 PM
In this part of the country - when do Tar Heel, Wolfpack, Blue Devil or Deacon football fans get to celebrate National Championships??? xlolx xlolx xlolx

I realize it's not football, but...

Blue Devil, Wolfpack and especially Tar Heel fans have celebrated something far more prestigious than anything ASU has experienced. And that is multiple Division I Basketball titles.

EDIT: I realize it sounds like I am trying to bring ASU down. I just think those three schools deserve the attention they are getting. Because their legacy in basketball is something (UNC and Duke) is something only really Michigan and Ohio State can compare.

SuperJon
December 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM

The little kids actually sounded like they thought "ASU" was awesome. Sure, some of the locals are bandwagon, but even so, seeing that much merchandise in that many stores for an FCS team was awesome.

bench
December 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM

Blue Devil, Wolfpack and especially Tar Heel fans have celebrated something far more prestigious than anything ASU has experienced. And that is multiple Division I Basketball titles.

EDIT: I realize it sounds like I am trying to bring ASU down. I just think those three schools deserve the attention they are getting. Because their legacy in basketball is something (UNC and Duke) is something only really Michigan and Ohio State can compare.

Basketball, dude. Basketball.

Our multiple titles are also Division I, you know. ;)

KiddBrewer
December 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM

youre not?xcoffeex

ha I'm a Duke fan on the side, have been my whole life. trust me, atleast 99 percent of the state of North Carolina residents already own atleast one Duke, Carolina, or State shirt (some Wake, but who notices that)...If you are from North Carolina you understand COMPLETELY the history of Duke and Carolina, and their legacies are not being ignored. The bandwagon is growing daily, it is amazing to for me to see all the Appalachian shirts and hats and such everywhere....didnt see quite as many after the first championship....or the second......but oh well, its not too bad, atleast they care nowadays. I just hope that in the next few decades Appalachian is truly considered in the talks with Duke, Carolina, and State....and maybe even.......When somebody says that they went to State, I can ask them how they liked the weather in Boone.xlolx xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
December 27th, 2007, 12:32 AM
The little kids actually sounded like they thought "ASU" was awesome. Sure, some of the locals are bandwagon, but even so, seeing that much merchandise in that many stores for an FCS team was awesome.

SuperJon, Ryan Earnhardt here, ha you know im not bandwagon cause yall were whoopin our tail at West Stokes in spring 2005, a half year before we had won diddly squat.xpeacex

SeattleGriz
December 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure, but I believe the Griz went from selling around 25K in apparel to over 150K after they won their first national championship back in 95.

It also helped that we changed back to our original colors of Maroon and Silver from the Copper and Gold.

HaveFunKc
December 27th, 2007, 02:54 AM

I think it's already been pointed out, but you nailed it: this is football. In a traditional b-ball state, getting football on the front page is a major coup (let's not even mention baseball). Trying to compare the legacy of Carolina/Duke/State basketball (let's not throw in Wake considering they have nice publicity but no titles to show) to App football would be hilarious at best.

Let's stick to football and call the the Old North State D-I schools jealous of what the Mountaineers have done (and continue to do). It's been amazing watching even Wake celebrate thier ACC title in 2006, but then their coach goes on record stating he wouldn't schedule App in a million years because he knows the risk (Winston-Salem Journal)... xnonono2x

It's been great coverage for App and the FCS this year. Let the bandwagon roll. Let's see how far it goes. Remember, this is the same school that produced 'Hot, Hot, Hot' just a few short years ago (I still hate that POS), but see how things turn around!! xsmiley_wix

Touchdown Yosef
December 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I absolutly love it. I especially love it when my sister, an NC State alum, would rather drive from Raliegh to Boone to see Appalachian play when the wolfpack is also playing at home. I love driving around Charlotte and having every third car I pass have some sort of Appalachian decal on their car. I love how envious my Uncle, a former chapel hill professer, was of my App-Elation custom matted poster. I love going into a store and having4 people stop and comment on my Walker College of Business hat, one being a little kid with an autographed 3 peat hat and talking about it like it was signed by the super bowl champs. Appalachain is in a rare possission right now and all you can do is enjoy the ride and do your part to keep it going. I don't mind a bandwaggon fan at all, Chapel Hill never could have got where it is today without millions of bandwagon fans. I'll take all the bandwagon fans I can get filling our stands and pumping money into the school. Giving us recognition and praise accross the country. Every fan has to start somewhere and if it is on the bandwagon than so be it but I will welcome any and all who will cheer for the black and gold without labeling them. Go ASU!

ASU88
December 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
It is nice to see.

I was loving all the attention my daughter got sporting her App St jersey at the mall (Oak Hollow in High Point) while we were doing our last minute Christmas shopping.

Appinator
December 27th, 2007, 08:41 AM
It depends on what you call a "bandwagon" fan. I mean, my freshman year (2002) we were a playoff team, and NO ONE went to the games. Watching Joe Burchette trying to scramble was like watching a donkey try to win the Kentucky Derby. I don't mind the Moms and Dads who try to get their kids excited about college by getting them involved with App Football. However, I almost dread going to games and getting stuck next to that recent ASU alumni that didn't travel to see us lose at WCU, and see how low things can go, who criticizes every play like he was Bill Belichick on a Monday.

CharlestonAppFan
December 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I went back to my parents house for Christmas vacation for a few days (I'm from Lenoir - 20 minutes from Boone), and every other person was wearing something that said ASU on it. Growing up so close to Boone, I don't ever remember anyone talking about, or much less wearing ASU clothing. As most people said, it was all about Carolina, Duke, or State; however I don't recall seeing anything from either of these schools this weekend.

I agree wholeheartedly xnodx ....my how times have really changed. Of course, I drove up to Boone (wow was it cold xeekx ) and you could imagine how much ASU clothes I saw up there. BTW, I finally found my dog an ASU collar to wear...finally. xlolx

citdog
December 27th, 2007, 08:54 AM
BTW, I finally found my dog an ASU collar to wear...finally. xlolx

no dog with any self respect would wear that.

i am glad that y'all think having every uneducated bumpkin, or is it blumpkin, decked out from head to toe in App State gear is a good thing. i would be horrified if the guy who pumped my gas had a The Citadel anything on. GSU grads got to work ya know!

biggie
December 27th, 2007, 08:55 AM
When I was at Hanes Mall a couple weeks ago for Christmas shopping I was shocked at the amount of older people (45-50+) wearing App stuff. But it was 2 days after the Richmond game, so was expected.

Things will really change if the WFU store in Hanes is replaced by a ASU store.

Have to go back to the mall today to return something, I dread it.

BTW, I finally found my dog an ASU collar to wear...finally. xlolx
When in Boone if you haven't noticed there's an App dog store downtown (next to last block towards TN, on Campus side) called Frosty Paws I believe. Should have anything you need for App dog stuff.

CharlestonAppFan
It depends on what you call a "bandwagon" fan. I mean, my freshman year (2002) we were a playoff team, and NO ONE went to the games. Watching Joe Burchette trying to scramble was like watching a donkey try to win the Kentucky Derby. I don't mind the Moms and Dads who try to get their kids excited about college by getting them involved with App Football. However, I almost dread going to games and getting stuck next to that recent ASU alumni that didn't travel to see us lose at WCU, and see how low things can go, who criticizes every play like he was Bill Belichick on a Monday.

Mr. Nator, dude, it was even worse when I was up there (99-01); we were very good in 2000 & 01 and the only crowd over the 20k mark was homecoming every year. Other than that, we were lucky to get 12-15k for each game. I never missed one, but it was sad to see when we had such a good team those years.

You could imagine what the first round of playoffs was like; I think it was around 5k xnonono2x ....sad, very sad. Even in the '80s & '90s when I was growing up watching them play, the attendance wasn't something to brag about either. The past few years is something truly special.

ASUMountaineer
I'm not sure, but I believe the Griz went from selling around 25K in apparel to over 150K after they won their first national championship back in 95.

It also helped that we changed back to our original colors of Maroon and Silver from the Copper and Gold.

You guys are in a great position, being the premier school in the state. Being the University of Montana and the biggest thing going as far as football in the entire state helps out. It is a position UNC enjoyed for years here (and still does).

CharlestonAppFan
December 27th, 2007, 08:56 AM
no dog with any self respect would wear that.

She does what she's told xlolx I thought all dogs were like that xeyebrowx

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I was in Greenville, SC on business the week before Christmas. I walked into a Circuit City at 9:30 and all the HDTV's were playing the final 3 minutes from the ASU-Michigan game. Had to stand there and watch it one more time.

While it may have been a promo for the Big 10 Network (don't know why you'd waste your time with that in the middle of ACC & SEC country), it was pretty suite to see.

citdog
December 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM
She does what she's told xlolx I thought all dogs were like that xeyebrowx

only the bitches chris, only the bitches

CharlestonAppFan
December 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM

xlolx xlolx Tell that to my ex-wife xrotatehx :D

Kiss My Apps
December 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
bumpkin, or is it blumpkin

xeekx xeekx I take it you are a big fan of the blumpkin?xeekx xeekx

Appinator
December 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Mr. Nator, dude, it was even worse when I was up there (99-01); we were very good in 2000 & 01 and the only crowd over the 20k mark was homecoming every year. Other than that, we were lucky to get 12-15k for each game. I never missed one, but it was sad to see when we had such a good team those years.

You could imagine what the first round of playoffs was like; I think it was around 5k xnonono2x ....sad, very sad. Even in the '80s & '90s when I was growing up watching them play, the attendance wasn't something to brag about either. The past few years is something truly special.

I hope you’re not associating me with that tree hugging, seat belt loving, liberal Ralph. I would be truly hurtxlolx

SuperJon
December 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM
SuperJon, Ryan Earnhardt here, ha you know im not bandwagon cause yall were whoopin our tail at West Stokes in spring 2005, a half year before we had won diddly squat.xpeacex

I know who you are. You're a student, you can't be considered bandwagon.

And we whooped you in 02, 03, and 04 as well. Don't just mention 05. I seem to remember a 17-16 JV game in 02.

SuperJon
December 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Things will really change if the WFU store in Hanes is replaced by a ASU store.

Have to go back to the mall today to return something, I dread it.

Actually wasn't too bad yesterday. Some of the stores were crowded, but I found parking pretty easily.

appchuck
December 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I remember when I was there in the mid-80's, even when you went to the football games, all you saw was UNC, State or Duke apparel. I did not see a lot pride like I do now. I was at a mall in Charlotte last week, and could not believe the people wearing ASU hats or shirts. I believe I actually saw more ASU shirts than Carolina.

appsfan
December 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
i am glad that y'all think having every uneducated bumpkin, or is it blumpkin, decked out from head to toe in App State gear is a good thing. i would be horrified if the guy who pumped my gas had a The Citadel anything on. GSU grads got to work ya know!

I'm OK with it as more ASU merchandise is sold, the more money that comes our way. To quote Animal House, "need the dues." xlolx xlolx

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I remember when I was there in the mid-80's, even when you went to the football games, all you saw was UNC, State or Duke apparel. I did not see a lot pride like I do now. I was at a mall in Charlotte last week, and could not believe the people wearing ASU hats or shirts. I believe I actually saw more ASU shirts than Carolina.

....you gotta love it....enjoy it.....

UVA and Va Tech are pretty dominant here........at least JMU has a title!!!

SuperJon
December 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
....you gotta love it....enjoy it.....

UVA and Va Tech are pretty dominant here........at least JMU has a title!!!

We saw the locals (UVA and VT) along with Ohio St, Florida, etc in our stands this season.

HaveFunKc
December 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

The madness of life does not compare to the droll of this epiphany... xlolx xsmileyclapx xlolx xsmileyclapx xlolx xsmileyclapx xlolx

D1scout
December 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM

I think their home attendance statistics indicate that they are not.:) From what I have been told they could expand their stadium by at least 5000 additional seats and generally fill the capacity.

D1scout
December 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Five guys running around bouncing a ball and throwing it in the air isn't the same. Basketball is a "girly-man" sport!xsmiley_wix

GtFllsGriz
December 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Enjoy it App fans. It is a blast and you deserve it. We are fortunate to not have the competion of the bigger programs. But watch out for the expectations that follow for years to come.

FCS all the way!!!

KiddBrewer
December 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I know who you are. You're a student, you can't be considered bandwagon.

And we whooped you in 02, 03, and 04 as well. Don't just mention 05. I seem to remember a 17-16 JV game in 02.

yea but i remember the first game we played yall in 2002, we won somethin like 21-4....bad news from the out tho

SuperJon
December 28th, 2007, 10:34 PM
You sure about that? I know it wasn't that bad. You guys hit the piss out of the ball but it wasn't that bad. That was when I was still with JV too. I don't think there were ever any ten run games.

gr8ness97
December 29th, 2007, 02:03 AM
lol..we can only dream to be at App State's level....

not too many places in Winston-Salem carry WSSU merchandise like they do WFU and ASU...

rjg129
December 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I was there from 96-01, the most i saw at a game was HC 96 (Marshall with Randy Moss) and about 7,000 of that was Marshall fans....I can remember coming home and trying to find anything with App State was impossible (you have to take advantage when someone else is buying)....Even finishline had some App stuff this year

I have always loved going to App games, but the last couple of seasons Ive been amazed, not only by the attendance but the tailgatin..I remember going to games and the student section would not fill up til right before kickoff, now there are thousands 2 hrs b4 kickoff...The majority of students are now going for the game, not just the social event...I was a cheerleader in school (insert joke herexrulesx) I wish I could be on the sidelines now...the support is 100x better...xbowx

As long as they dont take away the hill, i will continue going to all home games

ASU88
December 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I have always loved going to App games, but the last couple of seasons Ive been amazed, not only by the attendance but the tailgatin..I remember going to games and the student section would not fill up til right before kickoff, now there are thousands 2 hrs b4 kickoff...The majority of students are now going for the game, not just the social event...
It is good to see so many FINALLY realizing what fun ball games at ASU can be. I spent 5 years (and two Summers) getting my 4-year degree and by far the best times I had were football Saturdays.

But that was the 80s and there were only a few thousand of us. Now it's just NUTS! I have to leave High Point by 7:00 to get to Boone by 8:30-8:45 to get a decent spot.

And the later kickoff times make it a full day. Back in the day we had to start early just to get a couple of hours in. I'm sure the school enjoys the long, brisk sales at the bookstore these days.

UCAMonkey
December 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I thought UCLA and Kentucky have won a few basketball championships? xconfusedx

rjg129
December 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I thought UCLA and Kentucky have won a few basketball championships? xconfusedx

talkin bout the Big 4 ACC Schools

fjblair
December 29th, 2007, 12:06 PM

That is true, but back then there was not a lot of ASU apparel to be had especially outside of Boone.

furman94
December 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I only wish I saw this, in Purple!

SeattleGriz
December 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
You guys are in a great position, being the premier school in the state. Being the University of Montana and the biggest thing going as far as football in the entire state helps out. It is a position UNC enjoyed for years here (and still does).

Decided to quite being lazy and look up an actual article. Get ready for everyone to buy App stuff, if they already aren't. Now you guys just need to expunge all traces of the, "Hot Hot Hot" video! :D

Griz merchandise among nation's top 50 sellers

It’s worn by maroon-and-silver clad throngs at Griz sporting events and found on untold thousands of hats, T-shirts, sweaters, license plates, blankets and bottle openers across the nation and around the world. There’s even a proposal to place it on coffins and urns.

The University of Montana logo. UM and the bear. The bear is everywhere.

Susan Murphy, UM trademark and licensing administrator

In recent years the popularity of Griz Gear and UM merchandise has landed Montana on the Collegiate Licensing Company’s list of 50 top-selling universities in the nation. The most recent figures show UM at No. 46, ahead of Colorado State, Army, Air Force and Boise State.

UM was the only I-AA football institution to make the list.

http://www.umt.edu/urelations/MainHall/0305/merch.htm